Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 22:09   #2776
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Got a 1 ton Hitachi window ac about a month ago, quite happy with it so far. Cools well and has a decent feature set.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:40   #2777
BANNED

@cnu; By all accounts Hitachi service is baad! There are multiple reports. I also have a Hitachi 5* 1.5TR window amongst others which I bought last year.
Old 17th October 2012, 23:29   #2778
Senior - BHPian

The posts on previous pages by scores of members including myself are based on actual experiences as well as research. If a brand does not do well or doles out poor products then it is posted accordingly, it does not matter whether the AC is made in Korea, China or Timbuktoo for that matter.

The advise given on this thread in particular and the forum at large is some of the most accurate and unbiased feedback far removed from the taint brought on by personal benefit, commercial gains, or at the extreme end from an emotion as strong as hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I could see a hatred towards korean branded AC's in this thread.
Old 17th October 2012, 23:55   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The advise given on this thread in particular and the forum at large is some of the most accurate and unbiased feedback far removed from the taint brought on by personal benefit, commercial gains, or at the extreme end from an emotion as strong as hatred.
Thats the reason I am here, anyways which one will you suggest for my requirement.
Old 18th October 2012, 22:26   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Some answers

1. Are 1.1 inverter types equal to 1.5 of regular 5 star splits? Sharp dealer says for a room of 120 sq feet with 10 feet tall ceiling, 1.1 inverter is OK? About 33K, all inclusive.

2. They project inverter 1.5 tons power saving of 40% over 1.5 - 5 star splits!!! Calculation: 5 star split consumption = 1.65 v / hr - less 30% cut off. Electricity cost @ Rs. 6/-per hr x 8 hr= 48/- per day. Invertor saves 40% (they didn't give me exact calculation)= 19.2/- per day!! Cost difference between a 5 star split from good brands to inverter about 6-8K. So 19.2/- x 365 days = 7008/- differential in cost would be recovered in 1 year!!! Looks too good to be true? 5 star splits would be out of business at this rate? Am I missing something? The way I think, even if this is 50% true, from 3rd year you'd start recovering capital cost also from saving from electricity.

3.Wear and tear seems to be less for inverters as per given logic. But will the power saving be so dramatic?

I am pretty confused now what to buy. Some GYAN from Gurus will help.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th October 2012 at 22:29.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:35   #2781
BHPian

I had recently visited a renowned electronic shop to see the 1 ton AC for my bedroom facing east with 100 sqft to be used mainly at night with timer.
The sales person said he suggests Onida for cost conscious and General (he said o general) for cost no bar, being the best; reason both these brands use copper for Condenser while other brands uses Alluminum as cost cutting; hence copper tubes are used for installation which lasts longer and can be welded if cracked. However alluminum tubes are used in other brands for installation, which lasts maximum for 2 years being costal area and hence recurring expenses. Also copper tubes can not be used on other brands as they ar of different gauge.
Is it true? Can anybody shed some light on this.
Finally he also suggested not to go for samsung or LG. When asked about option as pansonic he gave green signal, also for Hitachi. Friends what do u say.
Old 19th October 2012, 00:18   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya, talk to deky offline. He went along with recommendations provided and changed his normal aircon with an inverter and per his actual usage he has seen some eye opening changes in his monthly electricity bill. Get it straight from the horse's mouth

Oh and do not underrate the machines. Remember there is no substitute for the inches displaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
But will the power saving be so dramatic?

I am pretty confused now what to buy. Some GYAN from Gurus will help.

--Ramky
======

If you were getting a 1.5 ton machine I would have advised you to look at Whirlpool.

For a 1 ton(perfect for your room size given the city that you are in) start with Panasonic moving up to General & then Daikin.

Getting an Onida is like buying a lottery ticket.

BTW was this SA a metallurgist and a machinist rolled in to one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
The sales person said he suggests Onida for cost conscious and General (he said o general) for cost no bar, being the best; reason both these brands use copper for Condenser while other brands uses Alluminum as cost cutting; hence copper tubes are used for installation which lasts longer and can be welded if cracked. However alluminum tubes are used in other brands for installation, which lasts maximum for 2 years being costal area and hence recurring expenses. Also copper tubes can not be used on other brands as they ar of different gauge.

Last edited by khoj : 19th October 2012 at 00:19.
Old 19th October 2012, 15:13   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, help me decide which AC to go for?

1. Its for my dad's consultation room, so door will be opened and closed frequently.
2. Room - 150 Sq Ft, ceiling is slightly taller at 12 feet, on ground floor with windows facing east.
3. Usage - minimum of 6 hrs from Monday to Saturday, 12 hrs on Sunday's.

So which one should I go for, 5 star/inverter? What ton range? We are already having 3 LG AC at home. So far pleased with the performance. The current AC for this room had a gas leakage and is almost 9 years old. Which prompted my Dad to replace it, with a energy efficient model.

Thanks in advance.
Finally decided to go for a 1.5 ton inverter model. Now the big question which model.

http://www.panasonic.co.in/wps/portal/home/products/homeappliances/airconditioner/singlesplitairconditioner/econinvertercrystal/CSYS18MKYP
39,990 + 750 for installation.

http://www.daikinindia.com/our-produ...-only/131.html
46,000 + 800 for installation.

For panasonic I have also asked quote for another two models, econ - Inverter Chrome and econ Inverter Silver. He has promised to give the quote by tomorrow. Will post as soon as I get it.

Are these fair prices? Is there any room for bargaining?
Old 24th October 2012, 10:39   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Just picked a O General 1.5 Tonne 5 Star Split Unit.

It is Massive compared to my neighbours 1.5 tonne ONIDA.

Installed the indoor unit BUT outdoor unit will be installed later today. Wont be able to check its cooling as weathers flipped completely here in agra. Winters are here

Cost is 46k for the Unit ( Box says 46990 ). Will pay 45 and no more.
3.5k for the voltage stabilizer.
1.5k for the Installation etc.
2.0 k already spent for the wiring and piping etc.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:50   #2785
Senior - BHPian

General 1.5 ton is rated at 19800 btu compared to 17000 odd for other makes. The extra large heat exchanger and condenser units are what allow it to keep on working when temp goes north of 40C and hovers well beyond the 45C mark for hours together day after day. It is ideal for areas which are not truly enclosed such as lobbies, foyers, halls etc.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:03   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Now I am confused,

Panasonic 1.5 inverter silver - 45,900 + 1500 for installation, this is from a different dealer. He is telling the installation charge for an inverter AC is high because they need to vacuum the line before filling in gas. Is this true? If yes, why did the other dealer quoted only 800 for installation.

Panasonic 1.5 chrome - 52,300 + 1500 for installation.

Daikin R410A model 52,500 +1500 for installation (Including 4m copper tube).

General 1.5 inverter 53,200 + 1500 for installation, copper tube extra, 1000/m.

Help me guys..
Old 25th October 2012, 14:31   #2787
BANNED

I think the line needs to be evacuated whether Inverter or otherwise. You do not want air messing up the refrigerant.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:02   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu
Now I am confused,

Panasonic 1.5 inverter silver - 45,900 + 1500 for installation, this is from a different dealer. He is telling the installation charge for an inverter AC is high because they need to vacuum the line before filling in gas. Is this true? If yes, why did the other dealer quoted only 800 for installation.

Panasonic 1.5 chrome - 52,300 + 1500 for installation.

Daikin R410A model 52,500 +1500 for installation (Including 4m copper tube).

General 1.5 inverter 53,200 + 1500 for installation, copper tube extra, 1000/m.

Help me guys..
I have a daikin now- 2 of them. Working well. Choose a brand and go with it. In my experience, have tried all brands and have had issues with all within 4 years or so. So doesn't really matter, pick one that fits your pocket and run with it. Saving a few hundred here or there won't matter much with the prices of electricity... Switch it on a week later and you will save 500rs
Old 27th October 2012, 08:54   #2789
BANNED

Split ACs do need more care than Window ones, which are more or less fit and forget.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:33   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... He is telling the installation charge for an inverter AC is high because they need to vacuum the line before filling in gas. Is this true? If yes, why did the other dealer quoted only 800 for installation.
The pipelines need to be evacuated for all split ACs. The difference often is that some technicians bleed off a part of the refrigerant charge to drive air out of the pipes, while others create a vacuum to draw out the air.
The correct practice is the latter method.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks