Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 09:34   #2026
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
A few days back I came across a very interesting product by SUKAM the inverter giant. This is a plug in voltage regulator and I am buying one as soon as I get back to Delhi and if it works this season I will be throwing out all of the stabilizers including the two I replaced last season.....
Khoj, this product is not a voltage regulator at all. This is a 'low/high voltage (and frequency)' cut-off switch. The connected appliance will receive everything from 180 V to 260 V, depending on the mains voltage available.

Of course, if you belong to the school of thought that believes that stabilizers do more harm than good, this little switch is fine.
I cannot understand how they are claiming an 11% saving in power consumption!?

Also, there is no mention of a delay timer circuit. In the event of supply going off and coming back on again within a few seconds, the AC will have to deal with the distress on its own resources!
How often do you encounter voltage dipping below 180 Volts?
What benefit does this have over a good quality voltage stabilizer?
Old 5th June 2011, 10:01   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Guys,

Which voltage stabalizers are you all using for your ACs and does it have an ISI mark..?

Thanks
Hello rana_kirti,

I am using locally made stabilizer for LG ( MAC brand since last 6 years ) as well as Hitachi ( LOGICARE ) . Since we are having the industrial supply i.e. direct from 11000 v ac to 440 v ac via step down transformer 30 flats max, hence we never ever get low voltage but 270 v ac max. time.
Also my voltage stabilizers made scary voice when recently our mains neutral wire got melt out. Hence due to which we were lucky enough to switch off all the equipments possible including ac , fridge. But invertor and two fans were not lucky enough to be saved since its not connected via a stabilizer.

Hence I can say that do use a good quality stabilizer even if your supply is ok or not.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 5th June 2011, 15:12   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Khoj, this product is not a voltage regulator at all. This is a 'low/high voltage (and frequency)' cut-off switch. The connected appliance will receive everything from 180 V to 260 V, depending on the mains voltage available.
Once again sir, you are correct (God is indeed in the details). The output voltage range of the device however matches the input voltage range of most of the machines being sold currently.

Quote:
Of course, if you belong to the school of thought that believes that stabilizers do more harm than good, this little switch is fine.
I cannot understand how they are claiming an 11% saving in power consumption!?
I firmly believe in the utility of stabilizers. However ever since the electric supply network/system of our area was upgraded a couple of years ago, the brown outs have been sorted out. Now we either have electricity or we don't. The need for stabilizers therefore is not that essential as earlier. The savings might be referring to the electricity consumed/lost by/within the stabilizer.

Quote:
Also, there is no mention of a delay timer circuit. In the event of supply going off and coming back on again within a few seconds, the AC will have to deal with the distress on its own resources!
How often do you encounter voltage dipping below 180 Volts?
What benefit does this have over a good quality voltage stabilizer?
Delay timer is indeed missing. This however makes it a perfect candidate for our Daikin machine which has a built in delay function. Further with this in place the machine will start in the 2.5 to 3 minute period rather than 5 to 6 minute delay presently. the real benefit as far as I am concerned lies in aesthetics. I am quiet fed up of the boxy stabilizers, even the sleek wall hung ones are an eye sore.
Old 5th June 2011, 19:10   #2029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am quiet fed up of the boxy stabilizers, even the sleek wall hung ones are an eye sore.
Cleverly, our engineer hung all three of ours near to the distribution box, which is out of the way of normal living area.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:34   #2030
BANNED

Guys, on a 9ft high wall at what height should the Split AC be installed for Proper cooling so that it works to its best efficiency ? Or is it ok to put it at any height ?

Thanks.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:55   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Leave a minimum of 9 inches between the roof and the top of the IDU to enable allow it to suck in sufficient air (sucks from the top). If you can leave a foot or slightly more (depending on aesthetics) even better.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 17:34   #2032
BANNED

Guys, cant make my mind and still confused about what tonnage to go for my 250 sq ft living room connected to a 60 sq ft kitchen.

yesterday the AC guy had come over to install an AC in the other bedroom. I had a talk with him about the living room.

I told him i was planning to go for 2 x 1.5 ton.

He told me to go for a 1.8 or a 2.2 single unit. He said that it will comfortably keep the temperature to 23-25 degrees. His reasoning was...

1. The living room is protected by bedrooms and both the east and west side. so is cooler than the rooms on the east and west.

2. The outside walls are bare towards the north and south side which sees less direct sunlight.

3. Suggested to go for either a 1.8 or a 2.2 unit and then add a 1 ton if i felt the cooling was not satisfactory.

4. He said that that this way if the 1.8 or a 2.2 unit satisfies you then you save money over a 2 x 1.5 units and also save money by not having to buy a another 1 ton unit.

5. If however the cooling from a single 1.8 ton or 2.2 unit is not satisfactory then buying a another 1 ton unit would be together be same as buying 2 x 1.5 ton units.

6. Living room to be used mostly in the evenings to entertain guests and use as Home theater to watch movies. He said since the temperatures are lower and start reducing after 4 pm then a single 1.8 or 2.2 unit should be able to cool comfortably.

Supremely confused about what to do in this situation. I just don't know what to do :(
Old 11th June 2011, 20:04   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Supremely confused about what to do in this situation. I just don't know what to do :(
You'd be best off with two 1.5 ton units, one on each of the north and south facing walls.
Also, as far as I can figure, south facing walls will receive direct sunshine for the longest duration! East facing and west facing receive for half a day each but south facing will receive for more hours than either of these.

In all the logic he gave, the technician failed to account for the kitchen heat load and the fact that more people present in a room mean more tonnage. Quite possibly you will also have some sort of exhaust running in the kitchen.
You definitely need 3 tons.
anupmathur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 20:14   #2034
Team-BHP Support

Guys how are these prices?

Daikin FT50 G 1.5t 5* - 37k
Daikin FT60 G 1.8t 4* - 43k
Daikin FT60 H 1.8t 5* - 45k

Does it make sense to go for the H over the G for the living room? We need 2 of these, and the piping length is quite long, about 70ft+. The a.c guy said the G series is designed for longer piping than the E series.

The room is about 450 sq ft give or take, and they think 2x2t Daikins will be enough.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th June 2011 at 20:19.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:22   #2035
BHPian

@akshay1234, You can also consider the 2.2 tonne Daikin inverter unit (FTKD71 series IIRC) - in Chennai I got a quote of 52K, all inclusive, including about 10m copper piping. No stabilizer.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:27   #2036
Team-BHP Support

I've heard that you need to purchase some components of the installation kit separately in addition to the AC in case of Daikin.

Please check and factor in all the prices.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:41   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Having a General 2 Ton Window AC with a Reciprocating Compressor (w/o B&W aka Imported) for the past 12 years or so, which has been gladly serving its purpose in the best of Delhi summers without a need to undertake any sort of Repair or Gas Refilling prompted me look for another General for a room measuring 8 x 8 feet.

One thing was clear, it's ought to be another Imported General as the experience with 2 Ton Window AC has been blissful till date. Whatever cools you down in Delhi Summers is pure Bliss, be it AC or Cola or even i20 (My doesn't suffer from AC problems even though it belongs to the initial lot).

Initially, we planned for a 1 Ton General Window Unit and upon confirming the prices in Karol Bagh (The Famous Hub for Private Imports), it turned out for INR 21k. Further queries about 1 Ton General Split Unit shocked me, a good INR 20.5k. The price with B&W is 31k.

The 1 Ton Split, Indoor Unit Model Number: AOG12ASLCW was installed today. Running on 27c, with outside temperature being 33c or so the AC cooled the room in no time. I was astonished to see the cooling effect when the Temperature is set at 27c since I was always of the mindset that the optimum set temperature should be 22c or lower.

The Outdoor Unit has a Plastic Covering, sort of a good Suitcase look and is Super Silent. I wasn't even able to make out if the AC is in operation or not. A good advise to those looking for AC's especially in places like Delhi, NEVER EVER overlook a General. Quoting Team BHP AC Veteran
Quote:
The General is more like the M5. A wolf under sheep's clothing (in a good way).

Last edited by tsk13 : 11th June 2011 at 23:43.
Old 12th June 2011, 00:37   #2038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
@akshay1234, You can also consider the 2.2 tonne Daikin inverter unit (FTKD71 series IIRC) - in Chennai I got a quote of 52K, all inclusive, including about 10m copper piping. No stabilizer.
Don't need inverter because these wont be used much, so it doesn't make sense spending that much extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I've heard that you need to purchase some components of the installation kit separately in addition to the AC in case of Daikin.

Please check and factor in all the prices.
The piping etc is already done everywhere. Just need to finalize the ACs. But what the dealer told me is that Daikins don't come with any piping included.

Waiting for AC guru Khoj to reply.
Old 12th June 2011, 03:34   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
But what the dealer told me is that Daikins don't come with any piping included.
The dealer is correct, Daikin machines do not have a piping kit bundled along with the unit
Old 12th June 2011, 12:30   #2040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer is correct, Daikin machines do not have a piping kit bundled along with the unit
What do you think about the prices I posted above? Are they fine?

Most Viewed