Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 22:21   #2131
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Yesterday a more senior person from the same agency despatched by Daikin came and diagnosed that it is fan motor problem, recommending that it should be replaced. While all this was going on we also got intouch with another agency despatched by Daikin last year, because we felt that they are better. Their man came today and said that a thorough servicing will solve the problem, "fan coils are also dirty" he told my wife. We will wait out for them to come and service next week. Till then every night will be almost like sleeping in the forest. Thanks Aroy for the continued interest.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:48   #2132
Distinguished - BHPian

Today we managed to get our AC mechanic to call. He greased the fan bearing. Fingers crossed...
Old 17th July 2011, 03:52   #2133
Senior - BHPian

The guy from Hitachi came and tested the unit. said the sound levels are within limits for what the company prescribes.

Guess more sound comes with bigger machines.
Old 20th July 2011, 22:01   #2134
BHPian

Here is an update on our AC noise (refer three of my previous posts in this thread). The trusted agency sent his mechanics today. They did a thorough service, cleaned the cooling coil and fan, etc. Now its all hunky dory. These guys are from Delhi (around Asaf Ali Road, I think). They come highly recommended.

Some points I noted and wanted to share. Point #1:- I have to do this to my Daikin split AC atleast once a year. Last year I think it was twice, but only fan cleaning. Is this only with Daikin? Thad do you encounter this as often as me? My wife tells me the amount and kind of dirt stuck inside is repulsive. Is this only with Noida? Do other residents have similar experience?

Point #2:- Apparently Daikin service people are not all top notch. The agency which did the servicing today was also sent by Daikin last year but not this year.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:41   #2135
Distinguished - BHPian

Aren't these machines supposed to be serviced three or four times a year?

The trouble is, I guess different companies, or different workers, even,have different definitions of the service.

The easy-to-reach main air filters is customer-service stuff. Clean them as often as you find necessary, and it is the first thing to check if you notice lack of draft or cooling, There's even a sticker to this effect on the back of our Samsung remotes: "No cooling? Don't worry, clean the filters". Probably doing this regularly also helps stop dirt getting deeper into the machine.

I don't know if agents regularly clean the fan. Once, when we complained to Samsung that, after their engineers had been here, the AC was still not blowing, they sent a more senior guy who simply took a paint brush to the fan blades. He said the youngsters didn't know to do this. Didn't know, or were too lazy?

Anyway, I think our two most-used ACs need the fan cleaning about once a year. As I said, if I cleaned the filters more often, it would help --- but I've never been very good at regular cleaning.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:39   #2136
BHPian

Guys,

Can anyone tell me how does one clean the indoor units (split A/C) in addition to the cleaning the filters?

I have cleaned the evaporator coil (the coil inside ) on window units using a tooth brush and a spray bottle, but not sure if the same technique can be used in split indoor units. I feel it would make the room messy with water and dirt on the floor. Thoughts anyone?
Old 21st July 2011, 17:36   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Guys,

Can anyone tell me how does one clean the indoor units (split A/C) in addition to the cleaning the filters?

I have cleaned the evaporator coil (the coil inside ) on window units using a tooth brush and a spray bottle, but not sure if the same technique can be used in split indoor units. I feel it would make the room messy with water and dirt on the floor. Thoughts anyone?
What you are able to clean is surface dirt, at the most on the outside. The dirt goes deeper and is a problem cleaning without dismantling the unit. Our mechanic uses a powerful spray to dislodge the dirt, the water is collected on the bottom tray and mopped up. If done carefully no water goes outside the unit. Ensure that the drain is clean and can drain all the water collected.

When our window AC are serviced the whole unit is taken out, covers opened and all components washed thoroughly. I guess that is one of the advantages of a window unit. For split indoor unit, if possible take the fan out and clean it, else you gave to carefully apply wet brush to each and every blade and the shafts.
Old 21st July 2011, 18:38   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Our mechanic uses a powerful spray to dislodge the dirt.

For split indoor unit, if possible take the fan out and clean it
Thanks for your note.

1. When you say a powerful spray, what kind of device/instrument does your mechanic use? Is it like a smaller version of power washer?

2. More than the fan, I always thought the dirt and grime were on the evaporator coils. I never knew you could take out the fan separately without disturbing the unit. Have you seen this done before? Which unit do you have?

I have a OG and trying out from experts on this forum.
Old 21st July 2011, 21:18   #2139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I always thought the dirt and grime were on the evaporator coils. I never knew you could take out the fan separately without disturbing the unit.
This was what I was not prepared to try out myself, to fix the noise we had last week. After watching the engineer do it, I might try, but I'd rather not: one piece of plastic (on our Panasonic) supports each end of both the fan bearing and the cooling coil. Oh, and the water tray too. Two or three screws each end, and the whole thing falls to pieces!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st July 2011 at 21:20.
Old 21st July 2011, 21:32   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Aren't these machines supposed to be serviced three or four times a year?
Three or four times a year? And I thought once a year is a big hassle. So split AC are high maintenance stuff, eh? I wasn't prepared, now I am married to it, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I have a OG and trying out from experts on this forum.
Looks like you are looking for DIY tips. Since our mechanic took off the entire indoor unit off the wall, I wouldn't try it myself.
Old 21st July 2011, 22:00   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Looks like you are looking for DIY tips.
Yes. I was initially thinking of that. But if I read rightly from you folks about the complexity, I guess its worth to stay away from this unless I know what I am doing. Thanks everyone
Old 21st July 2011, 22:05   #2142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought once a year is a big hassle. So split AC are high maintenance stuff, eh?
I thought all ACs were supposed to be serviced three or four times a year! Isn't this what one gets with an AMC?

I could be wrong...

~
Old 24th July 2011, 12:05   #2143

Hello!
My 3 year old Carrier window AC is leaking some moisture on its freon tubes. There is some black residue on the outside of the tubes when I rub my fingers over the tubes.
This AC works well now and cools well but has been refilled with gas thrice so far, the last topping 4 months back.
Do the wet tubes indicate there is another gas leak? Please see picture. The left portion with the tubes is where I find the moisture.
Thanks for any knowledgeable inputs.
Attached Images

Old 24th July 2011, 14:21   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@santosh9999
1. Wrong thread for this question
2. The black residue is dirt, your air con needs to be cleaned thoroughly
3. Moisture on the coils indicates cooling is taking place
4. Icing on the copper tubes on extreme left indicates a leak
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 14:39   #2145
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@santosh9999
1. Wrong thread for this question
2. The black residue is dirt, your air con needs to be cleaned thoroughly
3. Moisture on the coils indicates cooling is taking place
4. Icing on the copper tubes on extreme left indicates a leak

Are you sure that is icing? It may be damaged (bent) radiator panes, they also shine up when you take a picture.

Also, I think, if the freon is escaping so fast that it can generate ice, then it wont last long 4 months in his AC to begin with.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks