Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 17:57   #1981
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Guys need a suggestion: Had a window AC LG 7 years old - 1.5 tons. some days back its cooling effect was down. sent the machine to the local mechanic shop. got a call that there is a leakage in the tubes at 4-5 places. he suggested if the tubes are plugged and gas refilled he shall not take guarantee for the same as in LG/Samsung the tube thickness is very less and are prone to leakage. He suggested 3 alternatives:
a) He shall return the AC without any charges.
b) He has a stock of 3-4 year old hitachi 1.5 tons AC which he claims he buys in bulk from the companies like infosys which change their ACs every 3-4 years. He is quoting a price of Rs.6500 for the same.
c) He is also a dealer of Blue Star which he has quoted for Rs 16500 for 1.5 tons in exchange .

request your valuable feedback
Option B sounds fishy. No major companies use window AC's. The air conditioning is centralized.
Option C is the best option and you can bargain and get a decent price for your old LG machine.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:28   #1982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys need a suggestion: Had a window AC LG 7 years old - 1.5 tons. some days back its cooling effect was down. sent the machine to the local mechanic shop. got a call that there is a leakage in the tubes at 4-5 places. he suggested if the tubes are plugged and gas refilled he shall not take guarantee for the same as in LG/Samsung the tube thickness is very less and are prone to leakage. He suggested 3 alternatives:
b) He has a stock of 3-4 year old hitachi 1.5 tons AC which he claims he buys in bulk from the companies like infosys which change their ACs every 3-4 years. He is quoting a price of Rs.6500 for the same.
c) He is also a dealer of Blue Star which he has quoted for Rs 16500 for 1.5 tons in exchange .

request your valuable feedback
Had similar problem with our samsung. Its copper tubes started leaking like anything, and samsung service was of no help.
I suggest you buy a brand new Bluestar. It will last long.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:44   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Option B sounds fishy. No major companies use window AC's. The air conditioning is centralized.
Option C is the best option and you can bargain and get a decent price for your old LG machine.
thanks for the advice. went to mechanic to check up things. there was oil leake in many places. at first he quoted approx cost of 3000 for getting it repaired. later when i showed my keenness on repairing it, he advised that it is better to get it repaired through LG service centre. so have told him to send the machine back home

Also the hitachi machines were quite old so it was abig let down.

kindly advice which machine i should go in for :

Blue-star / Hitachi/LG/Samsung etc etc. budget about 20k.
Old 31st May 2011, 20:19   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the advice. went to mechanic to check up things. there was oil leake in many places. at first he quoted approx cost of 3000 for getting it repaired. later when i showed my keenness on repairing it, he advised that it is better to get it repaired through LG service centre. so have told him to send the machine back home

Also the hitachi machines were quite old so it was abig let down.

kindly advice which machine i should go in for :

My colleague has purchased Hitachi 2 star 1.5 Ton window AC @ Rs 20990 from CROMA.

The price of Bluestar 3 star 1.5 Ton window AC as per the website is Rs 22400. You should be able to strike a deal @ 21K.

Installation charges extra in both the cases.

I wouldn't buy LG/Samsung as they are not in the same league as HITACHI & BLUESTAR. This is my personal opinion.

I would also like you take the inputs of our in-house expert Khoj.
Old 31st May 2011, 20:37   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My colleague has purchased Hitachi 2 star 1.5 Ton window AC @ Rs 20990 from CROMA.

The price of Bluestar 3 star 1.5 Ton window AC as per the website is Rs 22400. You should be able to strike a deal @ 21K.

Installation charges extra in both the cases.

I wouldn't buy LG/Samsung as they are not in the same league as HITACHI & BLUESTAR. This is my personal opinion.

I would also like you take the inputs of our in-house expert Khoj.
I just had purchased HITACHI and believe it its just awsom. SGIITK sir also have purchased a HITACHI.If you want you can try O-GENERAL ! Which is the favourite of many other TEAM-BHP members as well.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 1st June 2011, 00:01   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Checked out 1.5T splits today.
WHirlpool 3 star split is for -25k.
Daikin 3 star is for -28k.

What do you suggest guys?
The sales person is known to me as we buy most products from there itself and he suggested whirlpool but then i dont trust sales people!
Also how is the daikin service experience?

The only reason am interested in split is cos my new whirlpool window though being a chiller does makes some noise while running which is annoying!
Old 1st June 2011, 09:23   #1987
BHPian

Hi Team,

Yesterday night, one of my nightmare came true. The tenant on ground floor connected their window AC to normal wiring which I told him not to do, and finally wire internally shorted since its only 1.5 sq. mm. Wiring and hence the voltage in my AC stabilizer zoomed to the extreme limit. And in the ongoing process one of two fans and one cfl burnt. Since it was 1 am hence could not do anything rather than cursing him inside.Hence my family and the second floor tenant had to sleep on floor on the mercy of GOD WIND.
DAD called the electrician at 6 am, its already ten o clock and I am not able to see his face.

Well cursing that day when we rented our ground floor to such person who does not care about the other people.

I had already told him not to connect the ac but he did may be knowingly so that we can get the separate wiring done for him even if its not in the rent agreement.

God knows what he want from me.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
Old 1st June 2011, 10:57   #1988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hi Team,

Yesterday night, one of my nightmare came true. The tenant on ground floor connected their window AC to normal wiring which I told him not to do, and finally wire internally shorted since its only 1.5 sq. mm. Wiring and hence the voltage in my AC stabilizer zoomed to the extreme limit. And in the ongoing process one of two fans and one cfl burnt. Since it was 1 am hence could not do anything rather than cursing him inside.Hence my family and the second floor tenant had to sleep on floor on the mercy of GOD WIND.
DAD called the electrician at 6 am, its already ten o clock and I am not able to see his face.

Well cursing that day when we rented our ground floor to such person who does not care about the other people.

I had already told him not to connect the ac but he did may be knowingly so that we can get the separate wiring done for him even if its not in the rent agreement.

God knows what he want from me.

Regards,
Lalit Tyagi
In your case there is no use lamenting the fact that your tenant blew the wiring. That is to be expected, as AC have become more affordable and every one wants one. Use this set back to upgrade the wiring, it is a wise investment. Please use flame proof wires (ISI certified) of at least 4mm.sq. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind and will prevent fires in case of overloading. Also install high quality circuit breakers of proper ratings on all the circuits.

It is always advisable to have separate wiring (and meters) for each floor, so that faults are isolated. My ground floor is more than 30 years old and has the old style wiring, while my first floor has heftier wiring (4mm.sq). Also the the main wire between the meter and the floor distribution boxes is even thicker. While expanding the house I got a 3 phase connection, primarily to balance the load of each circuit. Now my 3 AC are on 3 phases.

In my house every room, including bathrooms and kitchen, has at least one and in many cases two "Power" points that can take 20A load. Let us face it high power devices are a fact of life today, and we have to cater to the requirement. For AC I use the Compton Box which has a circuit breaker and one 15/20A Industrial socket. The box comes with a matching plug for the AC. I find this more robust compared to the normal 15A sockets used at home.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:55   #1989
BANNED

I had my house wired for ACs, so have 25A points, with starters on them for the ACs. Never had any issues for a decade I have been here.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:19   #1990
Senior - BHPian

I have a 3 phase connection too. 2 phases have all of the power appliances on them evenly distributed to spread out the load. The third phase runs all the lighter fixtures and is also connected to an inverter. In case of powercuts at night while the a/cs go off the fans continue to turn and one can dream on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Refrigerant charge was 70, and now is 60. The range suggested by the technician was 60-70.
Yes, the ODU is 6 inches from the wall & the verandah is pretty breezy.
I was looking for a unit there as in 60 bar, 60 psi, 60 something.

On the ODU side I was asking whether there is an obstruction in front of the fan, in the direction of the throw. Also 6" of space behind the fan is hardly any space to allow the fun to suck in the required amount of air to pass over the heat exchanger. Even in the tightest of installations the ODUs will have a 10" to 12" space on the rear side to allow for proper air flow. I suspect your compressor is being forced to work with hot gas instead of one that has been sufficiently cooled. I have explained this scenario in one of my earlier posts.

I would recommend that you get the install of the ODU checked out and reconfirm this 6" business. If it is indeed the case moving the ODU further out by another 6" or the maximum possible will help. Of course the requirement of having a clear area on the other side for a proper air throw stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Spoke to the Hitachi service head in person today. He blamed the extra bit of voltage for the lack of cooling too, I said I'd rather return the unit than get the house wiring overhauled, as none of the other ACs had a problem. Got a call in the evening saying that they'll replace the IDU in a week or two. Hope that helps.
DO remember to have the gas topped up once the IDU is changed and actually that would be a great time for them to move the ODU too provided the bit about that 6" gap is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
May you guys please tell what is better for two rooms.
A multisplit ac or two individual ac ?
In one room ac use is pretty less .Individually i would require two 1.5 tonnes units in each room.Whereas as per my research a single 1.5tonne multisplit will also take care of both.But i am confused about reliability of multisplits as they have valve actuated mechanism for control of refrigerant flow in each indoor unit .
Also not major difference in cost between two options.
A stand alone unit also has the 'valve actuated mechanism'. So that should be the least of your concerns.

If you are getting a multisplit which is actually running a single compressor then go ahead and get it. This is a very robust design which requires components built to better standards than usual, thereby increasing the costs involved. For exactly that reason the units masquerading as multi splits in our market generally have two compressors + H.Ex. sitting under a single ODU cover.

Quote:
Guys need a suggestion: Had a window AC LG 7 years old - 1.5 tons.
He suggested 3 alternatives:
Quote:
The best bet in that budget would be a Whirlpool machine, stay away from Bluestar. Ask the repair guy to give you the contact details for the raddi wala who specializes in old aircons. Contact him and strike a deal to sell your old machine. this guy will give you the best deal. Or use the old machine in the exchange scheme. Air care in Vashi Plaza had something going on as did Arcee in Shanti Center both in sector 17. Negotiate without exchange being mentioned and then throw this in after all else including installation has been negotiated. Infact contact the raddi wala after your old machine's price has been determined for exchange as then you can get a better price for your junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Checked out 1.5T splits today.
WHirlpool 3 star split is for -25k.
Daikin 3 star is for -28k.

What do you suggest guys?
The sales person is known to me as we buy most products from there itself and he suggested whirlpool but then i dont trust sales people!
Also how is the daikin service experience?
Hmm.. if one cannot trust a known person, it is best left to imagination what value can be derived from posts of people unknown.

Ghar ki Murgi dal baraber....

Anyhow..
All window machines make a noise which is basically due to the high cfm of their fans and poorly finished vent components that shudder due to the high velocity of the air passing over across them. The fact that the air itself has to do a 90 degree turn to come out of the vents does not help as one gets to hear the noise due to the hammering phenomenon.

The IDUs of the splits have an air path that is straight out. Further the IDU fan runs at much slower speeds than their window counterparts thereby even the air cutting noise is minimal.

Whirlpool splits are as good if not better than the Hitachi's of the world, that too with excellent service backup and less money. Daikin has a fantastic service backup provided a few pre conditions are met with. To know more abut these preconditions you would do well to go through the last dozen or so pages, wherein this has been discussed to death.

Last edited by khoj : 1st June 2011 at 13:27.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 14:06   #1991
BHPian

I am zeroing down to OG 1.5 ton with remote. The service dealer Is quoting 26500 for the unit only, which looks expensive to me. If anybody had bought or enquired about this unit What is the best price you have got and from where. OG sales person says it will be best to buy from the sales cum service dealer, so maybe he is asking full price for that.

For Split, I am inclined towards Daikin. But they have only 1.8 T machine and not 2 ton which goes into inverter range and becomes very expensive. Daikin split has poly acrylic (I forgot the actual name) which fights acid rain and salt corrosion to some extent, so should be abetted bet for Noida.
Old 1st June 2011, 14:09   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Khoj,
Could you please provide more information as to why bluestar should be avoided ?
Old 1st June 2011, 15:39   #1993
Senior - BHPian

This comes from my personal experience of suffering due to their pathetic product quality and even more pathetic after sales harassment err service. This was during early years of the splits being introduced in to our markets and I paid through my nose for the so called premium brand. The fact that they do not look after the small/individual customers was reconfirmed about four odd years ago when a friend who worked in another division of the same company asked for recommendations for a/c.s and upon being prodded clearly said that he would not touch them with a ten foot pole even if someone paid him. This is not all, the rot seems to be spreading and I have a US based principal who have set up an office/warehouse in India and opted for a central system from them. I do not want to be seen as ranting but even they are not happy, neither with the performance nor with the A.S.H.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:51   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Ok. I saw two banks in my area. Bank of Baroda and Hdfc Bank.Both are using blue star. The units are heavy duty.I am not sure about the service. I have purchased a 1.5 Ton split ac for my living room recently.

Last edited by F150 : 1st June 2011 at 15:52.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:04   #1995
Senior - BHPian

@KHOJ-Perhaps my comment was misunderstood. What i meant was though he is known to me i don't trust the words of sales people as obviously they will try to sell the product which gives them better margin as is the case with everyone. He is a nice guy and he only recommended me whirlpool so i got nothing against him!

Thanks for the input but clarify this for me- Is paying 3-4k more for a Daikin split over whirlpool split worth it?

Also like i mentioned whirlpool split-25k, daikin split-28k. Both are 3 stars. Are the prices correct?

P.S- I will suggest people to stay away from bluestar machines as the few i had experienced are pathetic when it comes to cooling!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks