Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 09:16   #2731
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Gurus,

I am in the fray for buying a Window AC for 1 ton. My room size is actually 125 sqft, should I be opting for a 1T or 1.5T as the buying guide on net says area above 120 sqft should go for 1.5T. Any suggestions for brands with 4star+ models and also what budget should I be looking at? Are there any 1.2T window AC's available in the market?
Old 14th July 2012, 20:00   #2732
BHPian

IDU hole seal problem

I want to share this experience, so that others will not make this mistake.

This is what happened as the wall-hole for the indoor-unit was not sealed after installation.

A squirrel made its nest inside my unit with its baby!
I started hearing the sqeaking noise a couple of days back.
I was upset as my Daikin-Inverter is brand new (four months old).
Today the service-guy opened it and cleaned it up.

Thankfully there were no major damages.
Some thermocoal was broken up and the main-wire was slightly nibbled.
Problem solved without any charges, the hole is now sealed with white-cement.

The baby-squirrel was kept outside, and in a few minutes the mother came and took it back!

Some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_9503.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc_9495.jpg  

Old 14th July 2012, 22:34   #2733
BHPian

I am in the fray for buying a Window AC for 1 ton. My room size is actually 125 sqft, should I be opting for a 1T or 1.5T as the buying guide on net says area above 120 sqft should go for 1.5T. Any suggestions for brands with 4star+ models and also what budget should I be looking at? Are there any 1.2T window AC's available in the market?[/quote]

Sir,
may i, why window ac, go for a cube.

I bought a Panasonic cube 1.5 ton after reading reviews here(before becoming a member), and this summer was excellent for us. Paid rs 20500 including installing.
Monthly bill increased by 1000 with heavy usage both day/night , room size 12*13.
Its a 2* 2012 rating = 3* 2011 rating.
Both 1or1.5 cube will be sufficient.

My personal feedback, the huge officials showroom where I bought had two 2 ton units only, where recommendation was 16 tons, as discussed with owner.

Also blue star website gives higher tonnage than needed.

www.priceindya.net/panasonic-cube-ac-retail-price-india-list/
Old 26th July 2012, 21:49   #2734

Guys,
Which of the split air conditioners in our market, have an option to bring in fresh air from the outside, when needed.
I have been the through specs of a few conditioners, but none of them seem to describe if this feature is present or not.
Any Comments ?
Old 27th July 2012, 09:04   #2735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∫f(x).dx View Post
Guys,
Which of the split air conditioners in our market, have an option to bring in fresh air from the outside, when needed.
None that I am aware of.
Also, it is possible to bring in fresh air into a room by other means; you do not have to have the AC doing this job.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:01   #2736
Senior - BHPian

Confused between buying a Voltas, Bluestar and Panasonic Cube 1.5 Ton AC.

The voltas and bluestar are at some 27K including everything, and on the other hand, you have the 20K panasonic cube - I'm one of those late adopters, and firmly believe that if something is too good to be true, it is, and the panasonic pricing makes me suspicious. If the panasonic were all that it claims it is, it would have annihilated the 2 star and below category, and yet it hasnt. What gives?

What to choose ?
Old 28th July 2012, 00:23   #2737
BHPian

Panasonic cube pls if its only for summers, as i bought one on 31st march 2012, paid 20500 including instalation.
Am happy to the max on this purchase, its got copper tube.
Only negative is straight air flow or no Vent Louvres and noise on max/3rd fan speed.

By only summers I mean heavy usage day/night in summers only, and this equipment will add a thousand rupee in electric bill, my unit usage came to 340.
Old 28th July 2012, 15:59   #2738
Senior - BHPian

What's the confusion? You clearly state that you are suspicious of Panasonic's pricing so just flip a coin to pick between Voltas or Blue star. It will also be a positive for the Chinese economy and also of benefit for those of us who are interested to know about user experiences with these two brands but do not seem to get any on the thread.

One of the factors as to why Panasonic has not taken over the market is 'cause there are a whole lot of customers who are oblivious of the fact that Panasonic sells all over the World on the strength of its R&D, product quality and the adaptability of designs to the needs of local market(cube being an example) amongst other factors. They would rather buy familiar brand names which at one time were synonymous with quality products and the association carries on oblivious of the fact that these guys are no longer manufacturing locally but managing by unloading a few containers every season. Another factor is reach, what with the local guys well entrenched given their decades old networks and the new boy barely managing to cover the metros and few towns at the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Confused between buying a Voltas, Bluestar and Panasonic Cube 1.5 Ton AC.

The voltas and bluestar are at some 27K including everything, and on the other hand, you have the 20K panasonic cube - I'm one of those late adopters, and firmly believe that if something is too good to be true, it is, and the panasonic pricing makes me suspicious. If the panasonic were all that it claims it is, it would have annihilated the 2 star and below category, and yet it hasnt. What gives?

What to choose ?
Old 28th July 2012, 17:15   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
...pick between Voltas or Blue star. It will also be a positive for the Chinese economy
Are voltas AC's made in china? I thought they were indian made. Though as an indica owner, It doesn't fill me with too much confidence, but then again, as a tata employee, I do get some sweet discounts.
Old 28th July 2012, 18:00   #2740
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∫f(x).dx
Guys,
I have been the through specs of a few conditioners, but none of them seem to describe if this feature is present or not.
Any Comments ?
It is not technically possible to mix fresh air in the delivery of split unit. So don't look for one, you won't get it.
Old 28th July 2012, 21:30   #2741
BHPian

One of our relative is in the business of maintaining the air conditioning systems for residences and commercial establishments. His view is -
General remains the Air conditioner to beat. When he says General he is talking about the one you get from Grey market as that has a Reciprocating Compressor and the one sold in India has a Rotary type.

Daikin is also good but he considers Blue Star as a serious contender for #2 position.

He suggests to stay away from the Koreans and rather go for Voltas.

For the record we have two 2 ton General splits (4years+ old), one 1.5 Ton General split (3 yrs + old) and one locally assembled window a/c (Napoleon kit with Kirloskar Compressor) (6 yrs+ old).

Have done nothing with the Generals till now and I definitely recommend them. Please note that these Generals are all courtesy the Gaffar Market!! In the Napoleon changed the manual controls to remote controlled..... All is well!!
Old 29th July 2012, 08:47   #2742
BHPian

For purely indian makes, feel Voltas is the best.
As phoren ones go-General, Hitachi are equally good. Daikin, feels overpriced.
Old 29th July 2012, 11:34   #2743
Senior - BHPian

^^^^ Hitachi's current range in India at best can be equated with Carrier etc. General is far far superior as is Daikin.

Daikin products with the R22 gas are now available at price points comparable to Hitachi if not lower.
Old 30th July 2012, 12:36   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
One of our relative is in the business of maintaining the air conditioning systems for residences and commercial establishments. His view is -
General remains the Air conditioner to beat. When he says General he is talking about the one you get from Grey market as that has a Reciprocating Compressor and the one sold in India has a Rotary type.

Daikin is also good but he considers Blue Star as a serious contender for #2 position.

He suggests to stay away from the Koreans and rather go for Voltas.

For the record we have two 2 ton General splits (4years+ old), one 1.5 Ton General split (3 yrs + old) and one locally assembled window a/c (Napoleon kit with Kirloskar Compressor) (6 yrs+ old).

Have done nothing with the Generals till now and I definitely recommend them. Please note that these Generals are all courtesy the Gaffar Market!! In the Napoleon changed the manual controls to remote controlled..... All is well!!
I bought Napolean for 21K all inclusive. It is great A/C as my friend assembled it for me and he was pusing me to use it once from a long time, I put it in my drawing room. Great A/C with very good cooling capacity. He was saying it is comparable to O general and The A/ Unit is very heave and requires 3 person to install it. Clearly felt the difference between my Onida and Napolean
Old 30th July 2012, 12:53   #2745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I bought Napolean for 21K all inclusive. ========. Clearly felt the difference between my Onida and Napolean
The heavy weight is on account of the Reciprocating Compressor as the Rotary ones weigh considerably less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks