Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:10   #2716
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am again facing cooling problem with my 5 year old Voltas Vertis 1 ton split unit. It will not cool the room even after hours of operation and we are left sweating!

I have thoroughly cleaned the indoor unit fins/filters and will clean the outdoor unit by spraying water on it in evening.

Looks like I have to get a 1.5ton unit as replacement as our room is also over-sized for this A/C, will get the old unit installed in other smaller room.

Is there a possibility that the gas may have leaked again? I got the unit filled with fresh gas last month only. The leakage was from the connector only, no leak from joints.

Someone in family suggests that cooling drop is due to the weather as A/C is still blowing chilled air. But here is also a issue - the chilled air is from one side of louver i.e. the cold air is blown only from the right portion of the louver other side blows normal air?
Your AC is exhibiting classical case of gas leakage. So call up the person who filled the gas and check it. If the connector was leaking how was the leak stopped? I had similar problem in my Esteem, and ultimately after a few gas fillings, changed the connector which solved the problem.

If you can, take the filter out and see if there is any ice formation on one side of the coil, that is a sure sign of low gas.

In my experience once the gas starts leaking, it is better to replace the unit, unless you change all the piping and ensure all joints (and the gas filling valve) are leak proof. You have to test that under high air pressure before filling the gas. As the meter is normally connected to the filling point, ask them to disconnect the meter after the test (but before evacuating the air) and check the filling valve for leaks (it is mostly an extremely small leak, say one bubble every hour if tested under water).
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:44   #2717
BHPian

Re: Vijay Sales- Big Brand with no Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If by last Saturday you mean the 30th of June, then 3 days are not up. So why are you getting so worked up? Its the normal practice that the Vijay sales customer service gets the installation people to call you. If you don't get a call by Wednesday then throw a fit.

Of course if you bought it on the 23rd then something is up. Why don't you go to the Sharp site and find their toll free number and ask for installation.
Well, the problem was first they said that the concerned people will come and install the unit in 3 days.But later on they say, they will call us in 3 days and later install it which was not acceptable.
Anyways, after throwing a fit, they are on their way now and the installation will take place today.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:54   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your AC is exhibiting classical case of gas leakage. So call up the person who filled the gas and check it. If the connector was leaking how was the leak stopped? I had similar problem in my Esteem, and ultimately after a few gas fillings, changed the connector which solved the problem.

If you can, take the filter out and see if there is any ice formation on one side of the coil, that is a sure sign of low gas.
The home / office air-conditioner thread-dsc07143.jpg

Yes there is little ice formation - it's looking exactly like when there was same problem in April this year http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2743435.

The service guy applied some tape before tightening the connector (Don't remember the name of the tape but definitely not the PVC Tape)
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:05   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your AC is exhibiting classical case of gas leakage. So call up the person who filled the gas and check it. If the connector was leaking how was the leak stopped?

Called the A/C guy this evening and he confirmed that system is running on low gas so he will top up tomorrow morning after checking for leaks. He used teflon tape on the connectors last time to prevent leakage.
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:11   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,
We are facing a peculiar problem with 2 LG ACs in my parents place. They are LG 1.5 Ton split ACs (don't remember model number). When the ambient temperatures are very hot (around 45 degree +), the ACs stop cooling and show H1 on the display on the indoor units. These same ACs work fine at night when the ambients are below 40.
Any idea why this may be happening? Are these ACs not designed to work in these hot temperature conditions?
Surprisingly I have never had any such issues with any of the other brand ACs in my house (Hitachi/ Electrolux / Panasonic).
Any suggestions/ feedback are welcome!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:18   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi All,
We are facing a peculiar problem with 2 LG ACs in my parents place. They are LG 1.5 Ton split ACs (don't remember model number). When the ambient temperatures are very hot (around 45 degree +), the ACs stop cooling and show H1 on the display on the indoor units. These same ACs work fine at night when the ambients are below 40.
Any idea why this may be happening? Are these ACs not designed to work in these hot temperature conditions?
Surprisingly I have never had any such issues with any of the other brand ACs in my house (Hitachi/ Electrolux / Panasonic).
Any suggestions/ feedback are welcome!

Regards,
Behemoth
I will suggest you to get the outdoor units cleaned by spraying water from garden hose/or call service people.

Due to high temperature, the compressor stops working due to overload/overheating. Happens with my Samsung unit but I clean the ODU and it starts working normally.

PS - Except few brands most A/Cs can't work normally above 40 degree temperatures.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:03   #2722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will suggest you to get the outdoor units cleaned by spraying water from garden hose/or call service people.

Due to high temperature, the compressor stops working due to overload/overheating. Happens with my Samsung unit but I clean the ODU and it starts working normally.

PS - Except few brands most A/Cs can't work normally above 40 degree temperatures.
Thanks Bluevolt. I was guessing this was the problem.
Highly unfortunate that my parents have bought it and are stuck with it now.
It is surprising though that LG is merrily selling ACs not designed for Indian conditions.
Any solution you can suggest?
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:29   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bluevolt. I was guessing this was the problem.
Highly unfortunate that my parents have bought it and are stuck with it now.
It is surprising though that LG is merrily selling ACs not designed for Indian conditions.
Any solution you can suggest?
It just require cleaning of outdoor unit by spraying high pressure water from garden hose for few minutes.

If you have free service coupons provided by the company then call LG for A/C service. If there is no free service provided by LG then but the A/C is still under warranty then you can log in a complaint with LG and the service guy will do the needful.

If the unit is out of warranty then any local A/C technician will do the job. Even you can do this job yourself if you wish.

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd July 2012 at 14:32.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:37   #2724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It just require cleaning of outdoor unit by spraying high pressure water from garden hose for few minutes.

If you have free service coupons provided by the company then call LG for A/C service. If there is no free service provided by LG then but the A/C is still under warranty then you can log in a complaint with LG and the service guy will do the needful.

If the unit is out of warranty then any local A/C technician will do the job. Even you can do this job yourself if you wish.
These ACs are just 3 months old, and still under warranty. I did spray the condensers with water and they are completely clean, but it has not solved the problem.
Will have to push the LG guys to check them and fix the problem.
The ACs seem to be a total waste of money if they cannot cool when the weather is most hot.. money down the drain

Future buyers, please beware of LG and don't waste your money on ACs which don't cool when the ambient is 45 Degrees.

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd July 2012 at 14:38.
Old 3rd July 2012, 18:33   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your AC is exhibiting classical case of gas leakage. So call up the person who filled the gas and check it. If the connector was leaking how was the leak stopped?
Quote:
Called the A/C guy this evening and he confirmed that system is running on low gas so he will top up tomorrow morning after checking for leaks..
A/C technician came and filled the refrigerant again. According to him there was no leak but the connector got loosen because of the excessive compressor vibration. This time he assured me that connector is tightened perfectly after applying teflon tape. AC is chilling now just like when it was new.

He used some meter hooked on the AC power line and checked the reading. But he didn't used any gauge to ensure correct refrigerant filling from the mini cylinder.

Is there any possibility of overcharging the system with refrigerant?

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd July 2012 at 18:34.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:43   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These ACs are just 3 months old, and still under warranty. I did spray the condensers with water and they are completely clean, but it has not solved the problem.
Will have to push the LG guys to check them and fix the problem.
The ACs seem to be a total waste of money if they cannot cool when the weather is most hot.. money down the drain

Future buyers, please beware of LG and don't waste your money on ACs which don't cool when the ambient is 45 Degrees.
There are a lot of reasons for this
. Direct sunlight falling on the ODU, hence AC internals are over heating
. Bad installation resulting in poor ventilation of internal components.
. Choked condenser.

Call LG service and register the complaint. When the technician comes ask him what the error code means.

Similar problems were faced by my BIL and other residents in Dwarka. Most of the AC's would stop in extreme heat, but if you switch them off and wait for the machine to cool, they start running. Here is what I think is happening :-

Each compressor has a Thermal Cut Out to trip the compressor in case excessive current is drawn. The cutout just heats up an element with excess current and then trips. So if the internals heat up a lot, the compressor will trip. Bad ventilation or choked condenser are usual culprits.

Your only recourse is to discuss the problem with the technician and get his opinion and solutions.

One trick used thirty years ago in Delhi is to drip water onto the condenser from a tank placed on a window AC (can be done with a split also). That results in better thermal efficiency hence the AC cools better and as the compressor is strained less it also remain cooler.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:07   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are a lot of reasons for this
. Direct sunlight falling on the ODU, hence AC internals are over heating
. Bad installation resulting in poor ventilation of internal components.
. Choked condenser.

Call LG service and register the complaint. When the technician comes ask him what the error code means.

Similar problems were faced by my BIL and other residents in Dwarka. Most of the AC's would stop in extreme heat, but if you switch them off and wait for the machine to cool, they start running. Here is what I think is happening :-

Each compressor has a Thermal Cut Out to trip the compressor in case excessive current is drawn. The cutout just heats up an element with excess current and then trips. So if the internals heat up a lot, the compressor will trip. Bad ventilation or choked condenser are usual culprits.

Your only recourse is to discuss the problem with the technician and get his opinion and solutions.

One trick used thirty years ago in Delhi is to drip water onto the condenser from a tank placed on a window AC (can be done with a split also). That results in better thermal efficiency hence the AC cools better and as the compressor is strained less it also remain cooler.
Thanks Aroy!
It is a case of direct sunlight on the Outdoor units which may be causing this issue. But I am surprised on the LG ones are tripping, because all the ACs in our house are also fitted similarly and exposed to the sun - none of the other brands are having any issue.
Possibly it could also be an issue with the refrigerant gas used (R22?) and the type of compressor not being suitable for hot conditions. But I still feel that LG needs to improve the product design. If this were happening only on one of the two ACs, it could have been a temporary malfunction, but since it is happening with both ACs, I am convinced that it must also be a design problem.
Let me push the LG guys and see what they come up with..!

Thanks again.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 4th July 2012, 20:50   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Just bought one 1.5T Hitachi Window AC, 5 Star rated (1625W), Model Hitachi Summer-TM RAT518ESD, MRP 34140, Got Net for 33K, with separate Twin Motors for Cooling and Condensor. Also Dual Air Flow inside by Turbo Fan technology (different from conventional Sirocco and Propeller fans) and an Extra Heat Exchanger which is water cooled.
Link - Quadricool TM : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

This replaces a very capable Napoleon kitted assembled AC with Tecumseh Reciprocating compressor. While that was an equally capable machine in cooling with slightly better air flow but it was electricity guzzler. This Hitachi about 25~30% less energy with nearly equivalent cooling.

Off note - I too had a LG window AC which I regretted every day of my life till I finally garbaged it after 5 years of tormenting.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:59   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Hi dkaile, congratulations on your new purchase. As and when the unit comes in for installation could you take/have someone take snaps of the machine before it is slipped in to it's casing, especially the extra heat exchanger bit and post them here. Thanks in advance for the same.
Old 5th July 2012, 09:02   #2730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi dkaile, congratulations on your new purchase. As and when the unit comes in for installation could you take/have someone take snaps of the machine before it is slipped in to it's casing, especially the extra heat exchanger bit and post them here. Thanks in advance for the same.
It's was already installed two days back now. Will try to take the snap of the heat exchanger if possible in the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks