Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 11:11   #2101
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I was looking for such a topic on team - Bhp fr a long time.

I want a portable Air - Conditioner. I do not want some Cooler but a Portable A/C.

If anyone has a unit here please PM me as I would like to know if it has any drawbacks.

If anyone knows who is selling such a piece please give me name and phone number.

Please PM me with any info.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:52   #2102
BANNED

This question might be a little stupid. But i'm asking this for general knowledge.

Now a 300 sq ft room needs 3 tons. Let consider it's on the top floor.

What happens if you put a 1.5 ton AC in a 300 sq ft room and you switch it on ?
Old 8th July 2011, 19:54   #2103
Team-BHP Support

I've been using a Daikin E series 1.5t for the past week. And man, its a good machine. Cools very quick, and silent. It does not have any fancy features like the Samsung I had earlier, but anyway those features were quite useless.

Also the guy who sold it to me told me its very easy to service the indoor and outdoor units.

Also bought 2 2.2t inverters for the living room which is 450sq ft+. They will be started tomorrow, hopefully they will cool well enough.
Old 8th July 2011, 20:10   #2104
BANNED

@akshay

i've been using the 2 Inverter models for my bedrooms since last month and they are excellent. With the Inverters, you will find that unlike with a regular ac the room temp dips and then gets higher and dips and so on is not there with Inverters. The temp remains at a steady constant.

i feel you could have probably gone for a combination of a Single 2.2 ton + Single 1.8 G/E series for the living room. Probably would have been enough.

But i'm sure 2 2.2t inverters will leave no doubt in your mind that the living room will be cooled to satisfying levels.

congrats..!
Old 8th July 2011, 20:12   #2105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

i feel you could have probably gone for a combination of a Single 2.2 ton + Single 1.8 G/E series for the living room. Probably would have been enough.

But i'm sure 2 2.2t inverters will leave no doubt in your mind that the living room will be cooled to satisfying levels.

congrats..!
Thanks for that. But the piping is very long for the living room, around 40 feet or more. So I decided to get the most powerful ac's which I could. Shall update on the cooling tomorrow.
Old 8th July 2011, 21:49   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thanks for that. But the piping is very long for the living room, around 40 feet or more. So I decided to get the most powerful ac's which I could. Shall update on the cooling tomorrow.
I would have preferred a single higher capacity inverter model instead of 2 x 2.2 a single 4.5 unit, like the Daikin suspended cassette type.
Old 8th July 2011, 22:46   #2107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would have preferred a single higher capacity inverter model instead of 2 x 2.2 a single 4.5 unit, like the Daikin suspended cassette type.
I think 2 separate ac's would have better air spread than a single machine. Also I've not heard of a single casette ac which does not have issues with its water drainage pump.
Old 9th July 2011, 16:13   #2108
BHPian

@rajeshsundaram

any idea how much a V-Gaurd Triple boost cost ?
Old 10th July 2011, 20:59   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Now a 300 sq ft room needs 3 tons. Let consider it's on the top floor.What happens if you put a 1.5 ton AC in a 300 sq ft room and you switch it on ?
Absolutely nothing untoward will happen. Room temperature might hover between 26 and 27 degrees in the day time and to about 22 in the night. The main issue(actually a blessing) will be that the compressor will not cut off which contrary to opinion here is actually a good thing for an AC. Its the sudden current surge during off and on that kills the compressor and start capacitor. I am using 1.5tonnes for a 300sq foot area since January 1995 and nothing untoward has happened. To top it I assembled it myself in my house using assorted parts with the compressor from Kirloskar.
For vacuum and gas charging I took it to the neighborhood AC fellow whose family are my patients.
Old 10th July 2011, 23:46   #2110
BANNED

very interesting. I've posted on this before and still in doubts

Thing is, i want to install a AC in my living hall which is 250 sq ft with opens to a attached kitchen which is 50 sq ft.

Now during my regular usage in my bedroom i like the temperature to be about 25-27 degrees. I like that pleasant temperature and don't prefer to chill the room to 20-22 degrees.

Hence i was thinking of installing a either a 1.5 ton or maybe a 1.8 ton AC in the living room and if the single AC can comfortably give me 25-27 then that's really all i need.

Now the my real dilemma is...

I need a Heat and Cool AC. I'm looking at Daikin.

1. The Regular Heat/Cool model looks different from a regular Cool model. So if i install a 1.5 ton Regular Heat/Cool model and i find that it lacks the cooling i need then i'll have to install a 1.5 ton Regular Cool model to compliment it and then i'll end up having 2 different looking ACs in my living hall.

2. On the other hand the Inverter Heat and Cool model looks identical to the Regular Cool model. So if i install a 1.5 ton Inverter Heat and Cool model and don't find it cooling to my satisfaction then i can install another Regular 1.5 Cool model and they will be identical.

If you have been able to follow till now then here's the Dilemma....

- I will use the Living Hall AC every other day for 3-4 hr max which means installing a Inverter model there seems a bit of a overkill considering the Inverter Heat & Cool is about Rs 13000 extra over the Regular Heat and cool.

- Regular Heat & Cool comes in 1.5 and 1.8 ton. If maybe 1.5 ton is not enough to bring the temperatures to 25-27 degrees for a 250 sq ft living room with 50 sq ft attached kitchen then maybe i can go for a 1.8 ton. But the catch is if the 1.8 ton is not enough then i'll have to get a another Regular 1.5 Cool model.

That ends me having 1.8 ton + 1.5 ton and in the end spending more than i would have possibly for a 1.5 + 1.5 combo.

- The Inverter Heat & Cool comes in 1.5, 1.8 and 2.2 ton. I could do a single 1.5 or a 1.8 or a 2.2 for the 250 sq ft living room with 50 sq ft attached kitchen. If i do a 1.5 and it's not satisfactory then i can add a Regular 1.5 to it.

But/however if i do a 1.8 or a 2.2 and it's not doing the 25-27 comfortably then i'll have to add another 1.5 Regluar and i'll again end up spending way more and end up with a 1.8 + 1.5 or a 2.2 + 1.5

Now the only reason i'll have to add the 2nd AC at 1.5 ton is because the price difference between 1 ton and 1.5 ton is negligible.

Wow... Lot's of data i given up there. If you or anyone else actually read all of the above and understood the situation in it's entirety then please do go ahead and offer your point of view on how i should go about this.

I'd like to see the other Vantage points of my situation.

Regards,

Rana.

1. Inverter Heat & Cool

:: Welcome to Daikin Air Conditioning India Pvt. Ltd. ::

2. Regular Cool

Both 1 & 2 look alike.

3. Regular Heat & Cool

Looks totally different from 1 & 2

Last edited by aah78 : 12th July 2011 at 06:57. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 11th July 2011, 14:47   #2111
Senior - BHPian

^@Rana

I would recommend one 1.5 + 1.5 for you and for me function over style the different looking ac's is my last consideration. You save on cost and also have flexibility of usage.

I myself have gone for the inverter Heat&Cool recently. Longterm ROI and doing my bit for the environment.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 17:30   #2112
BHPian

If you have the Refrigerator in the living room and not the kitchen then you will require the 2.2 tonnes. If the fridge is in the kitchen then 1.8 tonnes is more than sufficient for reaching 27 degrees in the living room not withstanding temperatures liable to be reached in Delhi at peak summers. Please note that in both cases the kitchen is not going to be that cool since the oven and the gas burner is a big burden on the AC.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 20:31   #2113
BHPian

I'm on the lookout for a 1.5T Split A/C for my office space. 22ft X 19ft. Its not on top floor. There are no windows. Its a sound proofed room.
I know the tonnage might not be enough. But i'm planning to run it for sometime and see if its enough. This thread tells me Daikin is the best.....but a bit over the budget.

Any Voltas / Blue Star users here? What's your opinion on these brands?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 11th July 2011 at 20:35.
Old 11th July 2011, 20:50   #2114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

congrats..!
So heres the update. In the day there is quite a bit of heat coming in because there is a balcony outside so the windows are big. The ACs do cool the place, but I kept them on for about half hour and they had cooled it quite a bit. In the night they cool in about 15 mins. Though I guess they will be just about fine for the area.

Overall I think it was a good buy. Man those outdoor units are SILENT. I was really surprised.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 03:42   #2115
Senior - BHPian

The Hitachi Star 2.2 tonne with scroll compressor I got installed is an awesome unit. Cools the Hall in less than 5 mins.

But it make quite some noise alongwith the external unit. Is it ok to expect noise from a 2.2? None of the other units make noise but are around 1 tonne in range.

PS: I am talking about the collective noise of both the indoor and outdoor units but excluding the sound of airflow.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 12th July 2011 at 03:52.

Most Viewed