Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 12:14   #2266
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I remember seeing a Toshiba demo where they used a single Outdoor unit for multiple indoor units. I assume its a financially viable and easy solution for many who need multiple units which do not work at the same time.

Mitsubishi Electric or Mitsubishi Heavy (don't remember which) also has such systems.
Old 17th January 2012, 14:31   #2267
Distinguished - BHPian

Also... is it just me, or do the machines that are used the least give the most problems?

There are only a few days in the year when our bedroom AC is not used at all; the second-bedroom AC may go days or a week or two without use; the hall AC is unused for months --- and is the most likely to give problems when it is turned on again.

I doubt, though, that a centralised system could ever be economical for a two- or three-bedroom house? When we were buying, even one model of split with two inside units was more than twice the price of the individual splits that we bought.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:58   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I remember seeing a Toshiba demo where they used a single Outdoor unit for multiple indoor units. ....
These are called multi-split systems and were supposed to lower the total cost of an installation. It is not known why that never happened!
Old 28th January 2012, 22:32   #2269
BHPian

Hi All,
I need some information on voltage requirements for a 1.5 ton AC. I visited Samsung showroom recently and inquired about stabilizer free ACs. The sales guy tells me that the stabilizer free air conditioner has an operating range of 135V - 290V but during start up it would require 180V.

If the start up voltage is 180V will I be better off buying a normal AC and a 130 - 290 V range double booster separately as this option would help me in starting the AC even when the voltage is at 130V?

Also, can anyone give some feedback on the stabilizer free air conditioners? Are they effective in their rated voltage range?
Old 29th January 2012, 10:24   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Hi All,
I need some information on voltage requirements for a 1.5 ton AC. I visited Samsung showroom recently and inquired about stabilizer free ACs. The sales guy tells me that the stabilizer free air conditioner has an operating range of 135V - 290V but during start up it would require 180V.

If the start up voltage is 180V will I be better off buying a normal AC and a 130 - 290 V range double booster separately as this option would help me in starting the AC even when the voltage is at 130V?

Also, can anyone give some feedback on the stabilizer free air conditioners? Are they effective in their rated voltage range?
The efficiency (and hence cooling) in a normal AC is reduced drastically below 180V. Hence it is better to have a stabilizer.

The only situation where an AC (or for that matter any device) can function perfectly over a wide voltage range is when it has an SMPS (like those in a computer) and the motor as well as electronics runs off the SMPS. This could be the case in a well designed Inverter type AC. As the voltage drops the current required increases at the input, so that the nett power consumed remains constant. That may be the reason for a higher starting voltage. A motor (without soft start circuit) requires 2 to 3 times the running current to start, add to that low voltage, and you have to cater to at least 6 times the nominal current at 130V, which may be the beyond the capacity of the internal voltage converter.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 17:27   #2271
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need an advice. I am planning to buy O General Split 2 Tonn for house in Palam Vihar (Gurgaon). The dealer is quoting some where around 51k that too without any pipes and other fixtures.
To my utter surprise, there are no off season discounts. I am still not sure, it is worth the money or shall i just for voltas which is around 32k for 2 Tonn.

Both the Ac's are 5 star rated, which is looking for.

I already have Hitachi 1 ton window installed, last summer, but i won't say its brilliant or anything, its just does it job well.

Seek your advice.

Thanks

Amit
Old 13th February 2012, 17:45   #2272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi Guys,

Need an advice. I am planning to buy O General Split 2 Tonn for house in Palam Vihar (Gurgaon). The dealer is quoting some where around 51k that too without any pipes and other fixtures.
To my utter surprise, there are no off season discounts. I am still not sure, it is worth the money or shall i just for voltas which is around 32k for 2 Tonn.

I already have Hitachi 1 ton window installed, last summer, but i won't say its brilliant or anything, its just does it job well.

Seek your advice.

Thanks

Amit
O General ACs have the reputation of being among the best. My advice, do not buy from the grey market. If you buy from an authorised dealer, installation will be provided free. I suggest you to consider Panasonic, they are simply excellent. They have features such as built in air purifier. Panasonic guarantees 24 metres of copper piping with not other manufacturer can, that speaks a lot for efficiency. I have an O General and a Panasonic..the Panasonic is just awesome- silent operation, humid control and makes you feel very comfortable and not just cool. You can crack a good deal with the Panasonic brandshop after you've checked prices with other retailers. Trust me, you'll be happy you bought a panasonic.

Other brands to consider- Hitachi, Daikin.
Leistung is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 18:08   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Seek your advice.

Thanks

Amit
Pick up an O General or Daikin from the grey market. Comes without the copper piping, brackets, installation, but sweet pricing, good quality. No warranty, but invariably lasts longer than similar Indian brands.

I've changed all my Samsung/Lg ac's with Daikin 2 ton, O General (1.5 ton & 1 ton) and I'm very satisfied.
Old 13th February 2012, 18:10   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung View Post
O General ACs have the reputation of being among the best. My advice, do not buy from the grey market. If you buy from an authorised dealer, installation will be provided free. I suggest you to consider Panasonic, they are simply excellent. They have features such as built in air purifier. Panasonic guarantees 24 metres of copper piping with not other manufacturer can, that speaks a lot for efficiency. I have an O General and a Panasonic..the Panasonic is just awesome- silent operation, humid control and makes you feel very comfortable and not just cool. You can crack a good deal with the Panasonic brandshop after you've checked prices with other retailers. Trust me, you'll be happy you bought a panasonic.

Other brands to consider- Hitachi, Daikin.
Thanks Buddy for your prompt reply,

I am also inclined towards Panasonic and Hitachi, but somewhere is feel they have started manufacturing in India so the quality have kind of lowerd. I already have a Hitachi (window), i would say its quality is average, not class apart which i expected.

With Panasonic, still not sure, but will surely consider now.
Old 13th February 2012, 18:14   #2275
BHPian

Hello,
Sorry did not read all the posts in the thread, but may i suggest LLyod as an option, it is not one of those Big brands but comes with decent features and the quality seems to be very good, i have owned one for almost 6 years now and the cooling is good, it also came with 5 years warranty and is still active in market
Old 13th February 2012, 18:23   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Buddy for your prompt reply,

I am also inclined towards Panasonic and Hitachi, but somewhere is feel they have started manufacturing in India so the quality have kind of lowerd. I already have a Hitachi (window), i would say its quality is average, not class apart which i expected.

With Panasonic, still not sure, but will surely consider now.
Panasonic has started assembling and manufacturing in India, not to worry about quality. The quality remains same. On my visit to Dubai, Panasonic sells at a premium over other brands and are regarded to be among the best for the heat conditions. Try sticking to the econ JADE and above models. I have a Virusfighter and its superb! I've used it for 2 and half years and still no signs of getting old- I mean no new noise, loss in efficiency. I believe the compressors are still being imported from Japan.
Old 14th February 2012, 02:23   #2277
Senior - BHPian

1. When investing in an aircon beyond the usual 1.5 tons, limit yourself to one of the Japanese machines viz. Daikin, General, Hitachi, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Sharp, Sanyo.

2. Pick those that offer either a Scroll or a Reciprocating or a Twin Rotary compressor in the above order of preference. Choice is down to Hitachi, General and Daikin

3. Select a manufacturer whose service network covers your location. Seems to be Hitachi based on the fact that you already have a machine from them.

I would therefore recommend that you take a strong & long look at Hitachi's 'Star' split machine. Download the specifications for details on the compressors & power ratings etc. Star Split AC: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

I do appreciate your concern regarding the poor finish on Hitachi's machines in the recent past. This problem however is limited to their mass sale products which are their window aircons and their more economical range of split machines. Star however is a fully imported machine. Even if we assume that it is now assembled locally, the IDU will still be 100% imported as the numbers they sell every year do not make sense for this model to be localised.

Get the 2.2 ton model equipped with the 'Scroll' compressor and you will reap the benefits arising out of its more efficient design for ages. Independent studies have shown the scroll to be 25% more efficient than the rotary compressors for applications above 1.5 Tr ratings. The fact that mechanically the scroll design is more rugged than the rotary only strengthens its case. The extra 10% capacity will allow the machine to run slower (less wear & tear=longer life) on normal days and will be of assistance on the extra hot days.

Even if you choose to go with the 1.8 Ton it has a 'Twin Rotary' compressor so still better than others.

The next in line to consider would be Daikin, especially their inverter units based on the fact that they have the best service setup in the country and of course their machines are top notch, what with their 'Swing' compressors sitting right up their with the Scrolls. I would recommend model FTKD71FVM/RKD71BVM. This is an inverter unit but uses R22 gas and hence should be quite reasonable to buy.

Off season discounts are very much in place. I believe you should reach out to dealers based in Delhi for the purchase and that should set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Seek your advice.

Thanks

Amit

Last edited by khoj : 14th February 2012 at 02:40.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 11:05   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
1. When investing in an aircon beyond the usual 1.5 tons, limit yourself to one of the Japanese machines viz. Daikin, General, Hitachi, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Sharp, Sanyo.

2. Pick those that offer either a Scroll or a Reciprocating or a Twin Rotary compressor in the above order of preference. Choice is down to Hitachi, General and Daikin

3. Select a manufacturer whose service network covers your location. Seems to be Hitachi based on the fact that you already have a machine from them.

I would therefore recommend that you take a strong & long look at Hitachi's 'Star' split machine. Download the specifications for details on the compressors & power ratings etc. Star Split AC: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

I do appreciate your concern regarding the poor finish on Hitachi's machines in the recent past. This problem however is limited to their mass sale products which are their window aircons and their more economical range of split machines. Star however is a fully imported machine. Even if we assume that it is now assembled locally, the IDU will still be 100% imported as the numbers they sell every year do not make sense for this model to be localised.

Get the 2.2 ton model equipped with the 'Scroll' compressor and you will reap the benefits arising out of its more efficient design for ages. Independent studies have shown the scroll to be 25% more efficient than the rotary compressors for applications above 1.5 Tr ratings. The fact that mechanically the scroll design is more rugged than the rotary only strengthens its case. The extra 10% capacity will allow the machine to run slower (less wear & tear=longer life) on normal days and will be of assistance on the extra hot days.

Even if you choose to go with the 1.8 Ton it has a 'Twin Rotary' compressor so still better than others.

The next in line to consider would be Daikin, especially their inverter units based on the fact that they have the best service setup in the country and of course their machines are top notch, what with their 'Swing' compressors sitting right up their with the Scrolls. I would recommend model FTKD71FVM/RKD71BVM. This is an inverter unit but uses R22 gas and hence should be quite reasonable to buy.

Off season discounts are very much in place. I believe you should reach out to dealers based in Delhi for the purchase and that should set the cat amongst the pigeons.
Thanks Buddy for your kind reply, the Hitachi window which i bought is just average, repent for spending such on a amount. I think you are very much that the Hitachi culprit is mass production, but will seriously consider STAR and its imported, i think if i consider Hitachi it would be 2.2 Ton.

Ones again many thanks for your kind reply
Old 14th February 2012, 17:46   #2279
Senior - BHPian

I have 2.2 Tonne HItachi Star unit. I recommend it strongly.

But be prepared, it cools much more than normal 2 tonne ac's and I find it over rated in my use.

Also, I have found the air noise to be on the higher side compared to the other 1 tonner ac's in my house but then we are talking about something that is 2.5 times more powerful.

If you need immense and quick cooling, this makes a lot more sense then the usual General and Daikin ac's. General's ac's are mostly under rated and hence cool more efficiently (check the specs for the same). But I would recommend you look at Mitsubishi Heavy and Toshiba Models too. Mitsubishi Heavy are not the same as MItsubishi Electric and I suppose they are mostly imported by a local company which has set up dealers. Do make sure the dealer is good since the Mitsu Heavy units are extremely efficient and make for a good buy if the dealer is efficient.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th February 2012 at 17:48.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:46   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I would recommend model FTKD71FVM/RKD71BVM. This is an inverter unit but uses R22 gas and hence should be quite reasonable to buy.
I was quoted the MRP rates for Daikin today:
FTKD50FVM - Rs.47,200 (1.5 ton)
FTKD60FVM - Rs.54,500 (1.8 ton)

I am planning to replace my ten year old OGEN (compressor problem) with either Daikin-Inverter or OGEN model:ASGA24ACT (five-star 2 ton, rate quoted as Rs.51,000).

Though I am interested in an inverter-model, the OGEN dealer says that since these has a lot of advanced electronics, failure probability is high and thus becomes expensive to maintain in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks