Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 17:25   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why so? thought they made nice AC. ( EDIT: saw your other post )

mobike; got your AC?
Yes. I got a 2.0 Ton Whirlpool Split AC installed in my living room last saturday. Its smooth, powerful, silent and dashingly good-looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
What I want to know is, what makes/models are available at the 15k price point. I really don't want to spend on the a/c right now. I can stretch the budget a bit though.
If your room is 12ft Width X 20ft Length. Then the minimum you have to look at is 1.5 ton. If you ask the sales guys, they will ask you to opt for 2.0 Ton.

My living room is 14ft X 26ft and they suggested 2.0Ton, anything below that means load on compressor = higher electricity bills.

If your usage is continous for full day, then invest in minimum 4* to get higher savings. But, the catch is higher * means costlier upfront investment.

Each * = 5% Electricity Saving

Example ( Actually thats how many units are consumed in reality)

1 Hour AC usage : 1.8 Units of Power

4 Hours AC Usage : 7.2 Units of Power

If your using a 4* AC, your usage units will reduce to 5.76 units instead of 7.2 units ( 20% reduction).

Hope you got the drift
Old 10th March 2010, 19:51   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys I need some help buying an a/c. My office cabin is a small area, maybe 12x20ft. I need a 0.8 or 1 ton a/c, and i'm sure any a/c will cool this area real fast. I'm looking for something thats inexpensive and my budget to blow on this is around 15k. a/c gurus please advise and thanks in advance.
My CEOs cabin isn't that big, I am in the wrong company, NIP job openings please!!

240sq feet will be a very long haul for the 1 tonne machine. In Delhi this job would be ideally done by a 2 ton machine. We could risk a 1.5 in Bombay. If Bangalore ambient temperatures in summer are comparable to Bombay you could try a 1.5 ton ac.

Or for the time being you could look at hiring an ac and in fact try out different ratings. Start with a 1ton m/c for this year and move to 1.5 the next. It will the ideal way to find out the correct tonnage required and the budget in hand will be enough to cover the rent for two years and can be claimed 100% as business expense.
Old 13th March 2010, 09:48   #768
BHPian

Just Fitted [ yet to turn on, waiting for Electrician to fit plug ] LG Split Air Conditioner

Model : LSA3NF3VF1
Capacity : 1.0 Ton
3 Star Rating
Jet Cool
Gold Fin Condenser
4 Way Swing
Auto Clean
Big Display
Display Dimmer
Total Cost with V-GUARD Stabilizer, Installation 25,130.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-1.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-2.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 07:41   #769
BHPian

I have spent the last few days doing hardcore Ac research to satisfy the obsessive compulsive part of me I guess.
One unanimous thing that I heard from salesmen/ reviews et al is "OG is OG" / OGeneral is the best

Is this true or is part of it just plain hype.
Now I am tempted to believe that its a super cool Ac brand ( no pun intended ). BUT

Apart from the EER of 10.37 as compared to 8.3/9.3 /9.6 EER's of other brands of a lesser god I cannot find any quantifiable difference.The rest is just "OG is OG"

Either ways I am going to Alpha today to buy this engineering marvel
Old 16th March 2010, 09:25   #770
BHPian

Guys we're on the lookout for a 0.75 ton AC. Earlier, we had almost decided on a 0.75 ton Voltas Window AC, but now a relative of our has suggested a split AC since splits are available in 5 star rating.

So what do you suggest ? Is a split worth the price difference when a Window AC is an option ? If so, what brand do you suggest ?
Old 16th March 2010, 13:16   #771
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Yesterday purchased one Onida Split AC 1.0 Ton S12SPD3 SpeedCool 3 Star rating from Thane

Total cost Spilt AC = 19k
Installation = 1k
Outdoor Unit Rack = 700
2 ft copper pipe = 200
3 Pin Anchor = 50
AC Point = 450

Total = 21400

Is the pricing correct?
Is it really necessary to install stabilizer along with AC?

Today is the first day for AC usage as today is GudiPadawa.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:23   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hello Guys,

Yesterday purchased one Onida Split AC 1.0 Ton S12SPD3 SpeedCool 3 Star rating from Thane

Total cost Spilt AC = 19k
Installation = 1k
Outdoor Unit Rack = 700
2 ft copper pipe = 200
3 Pin Anchor = 50
AC Point = 450

Total = 21400

Is the pricing correct?
Is it really necessary to install stabilizer along with AC?

Today is the first day for AC usage as today is GudiPadawa.
congrats on your purchase.
Regarding Stabilizer i will says thats its not necessary.
I was also advised for Stabilizer installation but later some peopel advised that its waiste.
M Ac is working fine and with no issues for past 3 years.
Instead if you want you can take up insurance .
It goes 1000 for an year so if anything goes wrong you can avail
Old 16th March 2010, 13:48   #773
BHPian

I can't comment on the pricing, but stick with a stabilizer. It's a cheap insurance for your AC. In Indian conditions with fluctuating and below par power supply, a Stabilizer is a must. Unless it's mentioned that the product doesn't need a stabilizer.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:07   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Stabilizer is a very small marginal cost to add to your expensive AC unit. As Anku says: cheap insurance.

It is not just the voltage aspect. Compressors, I'm told, do not like being turned off/on rapidly. The timer in the stabilizer ensures that it stays off for 3 mins after each current failure.

If I could afford it, I would go for whole-house servo stabiliser, but that is expensive. And discussed in other threads!
Old 16th March 2010, 20:50   #775
BHPian

^^ I think the 3 min delay in restart is built in the AC itself, my LG window AC does have that built in. But I would still recommend voltage stabilizer if there are voltage problems.
Old 16th March 2010, 21:34   #776
BHPian

The three minute timer is in the AC itself, but that doesn't reduce the importance of a stabilizer in any way.

And @Thad, whole house servo stabiliser ? Could you please post the links to those threads here ?
Old 16th March 2010, 22:36   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think the 3 min delay in restart is built in the AC itself...
Our Samsungs do not have this, but the stabilizers do. Our fridge stabilizers too, for the same reason.
Quote:
whole house servo stabiliser ? Could you please post the links to those threads here ?
Hmmm... Might we have discussed it here? Or in the thread about Inverter or Generator?
Old 17th March 2010, 01:34   #778
Senior - BHPian

Some air cons are equipped with the 'Delay Start' some do not have it. It used to be considered an absolute necessity with the reciprocating compressor but with the rotary design coming in the scene is changing. Here it is better to have the delay start due to the quality of the electric supply.

The transformer though, really proves its worth during 'Brown Outs'. People in most parts of North India experience this every year in the summers when the incoming voltage hovers below the Normal of 220V. Your incoming could be as low as 180V or thereabouts. In this scenario the compressors would take a real beating along with other electrical components.

On the flip side sometimes when the power comes back on it 'Peaks' i.e. it spikes to well over the normal and this in turn could again burn out the compressors. In fact when the supply does come back on initially there are a few cycles of crests and troughs which can be harmful, the delay in the air con or the transformer helps avoid this and allows time for the supply to normalize. Further in case the spike happens when the supply is already there a good transformer would arrest it effectively.

A servo stabiliser on the entire house's supply is a fantastic idea and if I recall correctly a servo would also ensure a 50 Hz frequency i.e filter out minor imperfections in the frequency too. There are a few relatives and friends who have done this in their private houses in Delhi. I would love to do it as then I could be rid of all the ugly boxes next to the air cons and especially the 'clackty-click' sounds made when the supply is jumping around in the transformer's coils. However I have a three phase supply with an enhanced power load connection in my house and the last time I checked a three phase servo rated for the connected load was priced exorbitantly.

Last edited by khoj : 17th March 2010 at 01:40.
Old 17th March 2010, 07:20   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Guys we're on the lookout for a 0.75 ton AC. Earlier, we had almost decided on a 0.75 ton Voltas Window AC, but now a relative of our has suggested a split AC since splits are available in 5 star rating.

So what do you suggest ? Is a split worth the price difference when a Window AC is an option ? If so, what brand do you suggest ?

I was looking for 0.75 ton, ended up with 1 ton LG Split with 3 star. (for 130 squre feet room) If usage under 10-15 hours a day, i think 5 star is not needed.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:42   #780
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, 15 hours a day surely needs a 5 start rated A/C or at least an AC which has lower power consumption.

What is the consumption of LG A/C you bought?

Most Viewed