BHPian

Help Needed in buying an AC

1.5 Tonne - Split AC - 3 star rating - price less than 30K

so far Whirlpool - 1.5 Aviator
any suggestions on other brands?
Old 25th March 2010, 07:04   #827
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I bought a LG 1.5 Tonne 2 Star (2.60 EER/ 5050W -Cooling Cap/ 1940W P consumption) for Rs.16000/-.

Any comments on whether I was ripped off or I got a good deal...?
Old 26th March 2010, 12:18   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
While on the topic of power saving Samsung has a full page advert in today's HT Bombay edition claiming 31% power saving with 'S' series compressor and they claim the unit can work at 54 degree C and with input voltage as low as 135V to as high as 290V. The model is rated 5 star and the prices are 19K for 1 Ton and 25K for 1.5 Ton including installation as per the local Samsung plaza (over phone).
Hi Khoj,
It is time to buy the 2nd ac for my west facing bedroom of size 120sqft. In Jan with your guidance I purchased Hitachi 0.9T for my east facing bedroom and very happy with its performance. For the West facing room I will need at least 1T split. Budget is about 25K this time and want to try a different reliable brand.
I saw your note regarding the Samsung "S" series compressor units, do you have the model #? The price is tempting here, however have concerns about the reliability of samsung products? Could not find this product on Samsung India website hence could not determine the EER.

I had the carrier Durakool plus in mind but is little off budget. Low power comsumption is the most imp factor for me. Please suggest a good brand 1T model.
Old 26th March 2010, 12:26   #829
BHPian

Dear All,

Please find attached BE Rating for your reference.

Please look for best EER ,Cooling Capacity & Power Rating.

Looks like Samsung is the best on Cooling & Power Efficiency.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
Attached Files
File Type: pdf window_ac_bee_3_star.pdf (23.9 KB, 1093 views)
Old 26th March 2010, 13:52   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
XPS (Extruded polysterene) is a product designed for this type of application, both for walls and roofs. It is a very light weight material and comes in sheet form of various thickness, eg 50mm. Companies like Isoboard and Owens Corning supply this kind of product in India.
Hi Guite,

Thanks for the heads up.
I thought that Owens made only glass fibers and while I am aware of expanded polystyrene, extruded is new to me. Well one learns something new everyday. May I request you to point me in the direction of more such innovative/new age products via websites or publication links via pm. Your inputs will be truly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Help Needed in buying an AC

1.5 Tonne - Split AC - 3 star rating - price less than 30K

so far Whirlpool - 1.5 Aviator
any suggestions on other brands?
Refer to post #807 by SoulGarage. He has provided comprehensive data on various brands, their power consumptions and ratings etc. Great help in selecting the right air con whether window or split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Hi Khoj,
It is time to buy the 2nd ac for my west facing bedroom of size 120sqft. In Jan with your guidance I purchased Hitachi 0.9T for my east facing bedroom and very happy with its performance. For the West facing room I will need at least 1T split. Budget is about 25K this time and want to try a different reliable brand.
I saw your note regarding the Samsung "S" series compressor units, do you have the model #? The price is tempting here, however have concerns about the reliability of samsung products? Could not find this product on Samsung India website hence could not determine the EER.

I had the carrier Durakool plus in mind but is little off budget. Low power comsumption is the most imp factor for me. Please suggest a good brand 1T model.
Hi icemanz,
Glad to be of help. I believe your local Samsung plaza will have the model on display. At the same time I would also request you to take a look at the data assimilated by SoulGarage in his post #807 in this thread(use the link).

Another course of action could be to look at Hitachi again and in case the latest models are not within the budget then take a look at their 'Logicool' brand. A few years back this used to be Hitachi's mainstream brand and then Atom came in followed by whatever they call their latest offering. A member (Ramsagar posts#799 & #801) has just bought two units of Logicool and is happy with his purchase. More importantly he has advised that the units are silent when running and that there is a price difference of 10k for a similarly rated Hitachi mainstream model. This is definitely worth exploring as the innards are going to be the same. From what I can make out the difference will be just skin deep especially on the indoor unit. The outdoor in my opinion will just carry a different label.

I will also recommend that you look at Panasonic, they have some scheme on one of their 1 ton offerings @ Rs. 23K sorry I do not have the model number but again this should be easily available at their brand shops. Happy shopping and keep us posted.

@ponmayilal

It seems the broken portion is just behind the indoor unit where it passes through the wall. If this is correct then the indoor unit might have to be taken down to put in a new pipe/section.

In the above scenario do ensure that the gas is pumped down before the indoor is taken off. Essentially the technician will close the valve attached to the outdoor unit. This ensures that most of the refrigerant gas stays in the compressor and when the unit is refitted you only need a top up of the gas and not a complete refill.

The second thing to ensure is that you top up with the same refrigerant that is in the compressor. this info is pasted on the compressor and the out door unit and is available in the owners manual.

I do hope that the pipe is broken at a place where the repairs are possible without disturbing the indoor unit and simply fitting a new section of the pipe will do the trick.

Last edited by khoj : 26th March 2010 at 13:56.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 15:21   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Whilst the indoor unit (our Samsungs, at least) is simply hung on a plate screwed to the wall, and removal replacement is physically easy, I find that the unit is always noisier after it is disturbed. It seems it only retains "new" quality for one fittting.

If a connecting pipe is broken, isn't it better to replace the whole pipe?
Old 26th March 2010, 19:52   #832
Senior - BHPian

Hi Thad,

It is the water drain pipe that is broken, a gas/condensate pipe would have been a different story and required complete replacement.

All indoor units are hung using a mounting plate. If reinstalled properly then I cannot see any reason why it should be not as silent as it were prior to being disturbed. But thanks for the caution, will keep it in mind.
Old 26th March 2010, 20:35   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....or for true power saving you could look at the inverter units being offered by Daikin, Panasonic in our markets.
Khoj, how do these inverter type units save power?
Do you believe they enable savings in all applications or only in some very specific situations?
Old 26th March 2010, 21:30   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
It is the water drain pipe that is broken...
Woops, sorry, I obviously wasn't paying attention <Blush>
Old 26th March 2010, 22:17   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guite,
Thanks for the heads up.
I thought that Owens made only glass fibers and while I am aware of expanded polystyrene, extruded is new to me. Well one learns something new everyday. May I request you to point me in the direction of more such innovative/new age products via websites or publication links via pm. Your inputs will be truly appreciated.
Hi Khoj,
I am not familliar with expanded polysterene, so you can tell me about it. As per Wikipedia, extruded polysterene is better than expanded polysterene. It (XPS) comes in rigid sheets of various density and compressive strenght. Higher compressive strenght variants can even be used as over-deck insulation, i.e. it can support human load. I will PM you contact details for Isofoam and Owens Corning.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:02   #836
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guite,

Thanks for your pm just responded to it and then saw your post. I am sending you anther pm with details of expanded polystyrene.
Old 27th March 2010, 01:19   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Expanded polystyrene covered with gloss paint equates to a nasty fire risk. It drips molten fire.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:22   #838
Senior - BHPian

Planning to get a Voltas Vertis Gold 1 ton split unit with 5 star rating at 25k with installation at 2k extra.what say is it a good deal.Have been using Voltas window units earlier too felt they are good, better than so called Samsung's/Lg's.Already have a Samsung 1.5 ton split unit, which has been a pain in @##&.First the evaporator coil went kaput, was changed FOC by dealer but after irritating pursuit of 2 months.Now again gas has discharged , technicians suspect a leak, for that again i am made to pursuit service guys for last one week, still no sign.
Old 27th March 2010, 13:54   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Planning to get a Voltas Vertis Gold 1 ton split unit with 5 star rating at 25k with installation at 2k extra.what say is it a good deal.Have been using Voltas window units earlier too felt they are good, better than so called Samsung's/Lg's.Already have a Samsung 1.5 ton split unit, which has been a pain in @##&.First the evaporator coil went kaput, was changed FOC by dealer but after irritating pursuit of 2 months.Now again gas has discharged , technicians suspect a leak, for that again i am made to pursuit service guys for last one week, still no sign.

Get the Voltas Vertis Gold and not the Voltas Vertis Gold I.

The Voltas Vertis Gold is 500 bucks more but has a EER or 3.50 as opposed to 3.11 of the Voltas Vertis Gold I.

I bought it yesterday for 22300 here in Mumbai.

Last edited by alter.e.go : 27th March 2010 at 13:58. Reason: typo
Old 27th March 2010, 17:53   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Khoj, how do these inverter type units save power?
Do you believe they enable savings in all applications or only in some very specific situations?
Anup,

Go the link below(taken from Kutlee's post) it explains the entire concept.
Intelligent Inverter | Eco Technologies | Panasonic ECO Asia Pacific

The benefits are there as long as it is an application involving the use of a motor/compressor that has a huge current requirement.

In an air con it works this way.

One is driving and there are a series of red lights on the road. An average driver will zoom as soon as the light goes green(AC ON) and the screech to a halt at the next red light(Desired Temp reached). He repeats it again as the Light goes green (Temp has reached the higher level on the thermister and comp comes back on) and the cycle is repeated. Thereby wasting precious fuel at every start on green light(Compressor coming on) and excessive loss in the heat exchange cycle as the temp goes from a degree below the set desired to the max (generally two/three degrees above the set desired) and has to be brought back to the desired levels across a very wide band of 3 to 4 degrees.

Now a tbhp driver will start of from a green light, accelerate and then adjust his speed with either a little more accelerator input and/or gentle braking to reach the next light while it is still green and then keep up this adjustment to ensure that he crosses all lights while they are green. Here there is only an initial bout of rapid acceleration to cross the second light while it is still green and then minor adjustments to cross all following lights while they are also green without coming to a complete halt.

That is what an inverter technology does, it runs the compressor at full speed till the machine reaches the desired temp and continues till say a half degree below and then it reduces the compressors speed. The temp starts to rise and slowly comes to a degree above the set temp, now the inverter increases the speed of the compressor to again come to the earlier achieved temp and slows down again. this is repeated again and again untill the time you switch off the machine. the compressor is never cut off as long as the air con is on but the speed is varied as per requirement so there are no repeated high current demands and the heat exchange is more tightly controlled within a smaller temperature variation band.

Net result savings which some manufacturers are claiming are as high as 50%.

Last edited by khoj : 27th March 2010 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks