Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:40   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Need help for choosing an A/C.

Staying in a leased house (Another 2 yrs will be here) so window A/c is ruled out as the owner wont allow the cut the window grills.

Its a 12x10 Bedroom with two sides of the wall having windows, One faced at the parking lot (so no direct sunlight) and another window/wall facing towards open space, and exposed to the direct sunlight.

No idea about the brand/price/features as i never looked into this. Its for the use in Summer afternoon for giving comfort to my 1.8yr kid (1-2hr sleep) and at night for the rest of us too (10 p.m- 3 a.m Auto Off).

Please suggest a good one with a reasonable price and service.
If it is mere terrace above this bedroom, 1.5 tons. If there is another floor above, 1.00 ton will do. For Chennai weather, that is, Bangy is a lot cooler during summer nights.

I am happy with a Samsung window unit (1 ton) I purchased a couple of years back for a similar sized room. Mine is a ground floor apartment, and this size was recommended by the Samsung show room guys themselves. I am planning to shift this unit to my parents' bedroom and buy a split model, same brand, next December!

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd March 2010 at 16:41.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:40   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
A 1.5T for 6.5K ? Are you serious ? Not want to be a spoilsport, but it reminds me of the saying 'When something is too good to be true, it usually is'...you might be just lucky, but be careful.

And oh yeah, sorry for drifting off-topic. Well, when we bought ours a few years back, a desi one was available for 1-1.5k and a branded one for 2-2.5k....
actually its from my cousin's office. The office is getting shifted to new place so they were disposing off their ACs. Most of these were in meeting room or manager cubicle etc it seems. So not much used for last 2 or 3 years. Hope they are in good condition

At home i got all funda, "you people cant stay without luxuries. what is the need for AC blah blah" etc. but its okay i will get it fitted anyways

EIDT:

People,

Monthly how much extra electricity bill you guys get after installation of airconditioners at home. Say if i use 1.5T AC at night 10 to morning 6? Set at 22 degrees.

Please post your experiences

Last edited by recshenoy : 3rd March 2010 at 16:44.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:51   #708
BHPian

Thanks a lot all you guys for the support.

Update: I received a call today morning from Mr. Ramaswamy from LG. He requested if he could visit my place and have a look at the A/C. I said it ok to visit anytime before 2 as I'll leave for office after 2. He said he will come and will inform if there is any change. around 12:45 he called again and informed he will not be able to make it today and apologized for the change in plan.

I ringed up the LG engineer who came to visit yesterday (Mr. Velu), he said his Manager said he will be visiting. I told him I did get a call.

It seems everything is going as he said.

I tried calling up the dealer his phone is switched off.

The mail thread I've started with LG support, they have informed they did forward it to the concerned branch. I requested for a contact number and they have provided me Service Manager (Mr. Gopalakrishnan)'s number. However I was not able to reach his till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think the dealer might have sold you an old piece. His attitude doesn't seem right.

But I trust LG to sort this out for you.

Please insist on getting a full replacement - indoor unit + compressor.

AC models are EOLed in a years time. I am sure this model will not be even available now.
Spitfire, I hope for the same. Do you really think they will replace it ?
I'm not very optimistic at this point of time. The LG engineer who came over to check the A/C said replacements are not done since the company is providing warranty from date of purchase. The strange fact is LG folks said this is the latest model in their line up. Now all that info seems to be a "lie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Please depend on LG for a replacement. Also, please lodge a written complaint with the LG headoffice with a copy to the consumer redressal forum. Send a cc to Jayam & Co.
bnzjon , I've started a mail chain with lg support. LG folks requested some time to look into the issue. Yes you are right a written complaint seems to be the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Do one thing try contacting him once again and record your conversation if possible. This way you'll have proof of his unfriendliness and bad customer service. Then you can take necessary action i.e. forward the recording to LG or consumer forum. If LG is really concerned they'll take appropriate steps. Also, I believe if dealer gave you the wrong product he is liable for it not LG (if wrong A/c had come from LG, dealer wouldn't have spoken to you in that tone. He would have genuinely taken interest in your issue)
Punzabi, I think that is a good idea. Since I went to the dealer through my friend (who recommended the shop) I never expected the dealer to respond in such a manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
If you approach any of the consumer redressal forum, I'm sure you get replacement.

iamswift, There is one such forum available in Anna nagar (shanthi colony) at AH block 1st street I guess. They are doing it for free.
I've see an "online" version of it. If you really go to court it will take a while. But I think I should do that just so that it will not be repeated by the dealer. Do you have any more details on where it is ?

Meanwhile let me try to get in touch with "local" tbhp folks who are from that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They pulled a Michelin on you, pushing old tyres as new tyres at new tyre prices.

The attitude of dealer indicates that LG is not averse to the practice. If LG was strict about it, dealer wouldn't try to palm off outdated product and be rude upon get caught. Since you have inadequate cooling, you can argue for a case of defective product. If LG doesn't care, take it up with the consumer protection cell.
Samurai, LG engineer who came for the checkup said cooling is correct.
I still feel it is low. I have a standalone digital temperature gauge it shows 25C when the A/C unit says its 23C or to put it simple 2C of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Keep contacting LG and maintain the pressure. Demand a complete replacement.
Gansan, I'm trying. Hope atleast LG will help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Guys in the Annanagar area, please avoid Jayam and Viveks. Both of them are highly unethical. Shah and Girias are far more reliable. Or buy from the exclusive co. showrooms as suggested by Gansan above.
Gilead, only if I knew this sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Riju methinks there is someone here on the forum who can help you with this problem. Have sent you a PM.
Thanks Riju. I'll give it a try.
Old 3rd March 2010, 16:58   #709
Senior - BHPian

@recshenoy

The electricity bill post installation of the a/c will be the same as it were prior to the installation.

Unless you run it too. Could not resist that.

A 1.5 ton a/c on an average will consume approx 2 units of electricity for every running hour. Now you do the math depending on the per unit cost in your city.

@Wildon
Use this link to calculate the tonnage required. http://daikinindia.com/onlinesolutions_plaza.asp

Take a look at Panasonic they have been offering some very good bargains since the last couple of months. Excellent machines too.

Last edited by khoj : 3rd March 2010 at 17:05.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:05   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

Gansan, I'm trying. Hope atleast LG will help.
Insist on a replacement. If the temperature of the air as it comes out of the unit is correct, they will offer to replace just the facia of the indoor unit first.

The front grill of my Samsung window unit has a couple of locks to facilitate removal and cleaning of the air filter. I found that one of them was broken after the tech had installed the unit and left, which resulted in the grill not closing flush with the unit. I called Samsung support and they replaced the entire facia of the unit after inspection. I accepted that because the mfg date of my unit was just a month prior to the date of purchase. That was in 2007.

As the DOM of your unit is 22 months prior to DOP, it is your call to accept or not if they make this offer. But I don't think we can do much unless we are able to prove it is not a brand new unit or is a defective one, DOM not withstanding. All the best to you.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:10   #711
BANNED

@Khoj

Thanks for the link, will check on that and the Panasonic range too.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:59   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Insist on a replacement. If the temperature of the air as it comes out of the unit is correct, they will offer to replace just the facia of the indoor unit first.
Gansan, As of now I've just told them what happened. They are yet to give a plan of action. I hope they will do the necessary and rightful action.

The LG engineer who came to check the unit on March 2, said the temperature is within the "normal" range. In this case all I can do is take his word as I have no clue how to "disprove" his finding. I did tell him about the temperature difference in the standalone digital thermometer I have, he sheepishly said "grill temperature is fine" and gave some theory on A/C in rooms, walls sucking up the "cooling" and all that.

I might be wrong. In my view the dealer tried to pull a fast one and now that he is caught he is trying to put the blame in LG.

The only way I think to see who did this is to track the serial number to the "original" sale. If the dealer is indeed telling the truth (from the way he spoke I doubt it ) LG is to blame for giving an old unit. Else the dealer is at fault and unfortunately LG is being blamed for the dealer trying to cheat.

Update : Service Manager (Mr. Gopalakrishnan) called me back, I told him the whole thing again. He asked if I spoke to the dealer, I told him exactly what happened every bit of it.

Then he asked is that Mr. Prakash I spoke to. I said yes. (As if he was expecting from the bad experience in the call I had).

Mr. Gopalakrishnan asked if LG installed the A/C or was it the dealer ? I said it was from LG then he requested to forward the request number for the installation as I'd have got the SMS from LG. He said he will look into it and will revert. I have forwarded the installation request id (C1022414792) to him.

Also a call has been opened with LG request id (C1030109349) for the low cooling and noise issue and it has been mentioned the unit is 22 months old and was given as "brand new"
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:38   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@recshenoy

The electricity bill post installation of the a/c will be the same as it were prior to the installation.

That makes sense, I suppose. lol

For power consumption, check the power consumption of the AC in KW. That's the power consumption in units/hour. To myself. I used the phrase 'power consumption' 3 times. 4 times.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:45   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@recshenoy

thanks guys for the details

Just for comparison,

any idea what would be the power consumption difference between a 1.5 ton 1 start and 5 star A/C
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:02   #715
Senior - BHPian

@recshenoy

For this see anku94's post #700 just above yours. Time to get hold of tech specs of a/cs you want to compare.

However, simply looking at the power consumption may not give a clear picture regarding the job that the a/c is supposed to do that is cooling. For instance brand X may consume 1800 W and brand Y consumes 1900 but while both are commercially slated as 1.5 tons brand X compressor may be 18000 Btu/h and brand Y might be 19000 Btu/h. So while Y consumes more electricity than X it also cools faster so the compressor cuts out earlier etc etc.

Therefore IMHO star rating for a/cs can go out of the window, get one that you like to look at, makes the least noise and gives you your desired level of cooling and keeps the room that way for the longest duration possible when the power is cut, one on which you are getting the best deal of the day and most importantly is being pushed by your favourite bollywood glam doll.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:26   #716
BHPian

This might be a display model. Many a time the shop owner sell the display item with a heavy discounted rate. The big shop also sell this kind of item damage/display model to some specific sell. Later the those items are sells as 2nd sell...
Hope your shop is not a 2nd sell items shop. In bangalore we have 2nd sell shop. Even i have seen small invisible dent samsung fridge as 2nd sell.

Last edited by arin_12 : 3rd March 2010 at 21:29.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:04   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
This might be a display model. Many a time the shop owner sell the display item with a heavy discounted rate. The big shop also sell this kind of item damage/display model to some specific sell. Later the those items are sells as 2nd sell...
Hope your shop is not a 2nd sell items shop. In bangalore we have 2nd sell shop. Even i have seen small invisible dent samsung fridge as 2nd sell.
Arin_12, Could be a display piece. When I asked the LG guy he said they (LG) "destroy" the cover so that it cannot be sold. Not sure how true that is. However the rate was not that low. Another shop gave a lower price since we needed 2 and they had only one we got it from this dealer. My friend's A/C is fine as its Dec/2009. There is really a huge visible difference one you see them both back to back.

I've heard even Hyderabad has 2nd/damaged items sold in shops at around 40% off.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:43   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
The LG engineer who came to check the unit on March 2, said the temperature is within the "normal" range. In this case all I can do is take his word as I have no clue how to "disprove" his finding. I did tell him about the temperature difference in the standalone digital thermometer I have, he sheepishly said "grill temperature is fine" and gave some theory on A/C in rooms, walls sucking up the "cooling" and all that.
They will bring a hand held thermometer to check the grill temperature. Ask him to check the temp at the grill and show it to you. It should always be the lowest temp setting of your unit, irrespective of the thermostat setting. For example the lowest setting of mine is 18 deg C. So the air temp as it leaves the grill will always be 18, even if my thermostat is at 24.There will be a sensor at the air intake part of the grill, and once it senses that temp of the incoming air is the same as the thermostat setting, it cuts off the compressor.

Even you can check it by holding your thermometer directly in the outflow of air for a few minutes. As for the difference between your thermometer and the thermostat, it happens. I have a wall clock in the bedroom that displays ambient temp. I always set the A/C thermostat at 24, and for the first couple of hours when the compressor cuts off, the clock will show 25 or 26 deg C. But as the night progresses, the clock display stabilizes at 24.

Anyway let your refrain be a total replacement. Hint subtly that you are contemplating a couple of more units for the living room and second bedroom, and the outcome now may influence your future purchase etc.

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd March 2010 at 22:50.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:03   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@mobike008

Congratulations on your new purchase. Could you take a snap of your machine the indoor and the outdoor units and post them here.
Thanks. Surprisingly after booking and paying the full amount on Sunday. Till date nobody contacted me either for delivery and installation. Strange !

Been busy myself so didnt follow up with them. I intend to go and lambast them this evening.

These series are brand new from Whirlpool and released just a couple of weeks ago.

Posting an indicative picture from the internet. This is exactly the AC that i selected looks like
Attached Images

Old 4th March 2010, 12:23   #720
Senior - BHPian

mobike008,

AC looks very elegant dude pls post pics fo actual once fitted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks