Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 19:01   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

See my replies in bold within your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
[/list]Questions
  1. What should be the capacity of A/C that I should look at for these rooms?
    1.2 Ton
  2. Room 1 can have a split A/C. Which would be a good buy?
    What is your Budget. Too many choices here.
  3. Room 2 can have a window A/C. Which would be a good buy?
    General, Whirlpool, Hitachi Quadracool TM, In order of performance.
  4. Is it worth looking at inverter A/Cs with the kind of usage that I will have?
    If you are Green at heart why not. Look at Daikin or Panasonic for inverters, period.
  5. Do I need to get stabilizers for these?
    If your area experiences brown outs, dirty supply then yes definitely.
Appreciate your answers.

-Biju
EDIT

The Panasonic cube 1.2 ton @ Rs. 16.5K, that fellow member Neilguy has bought would be an excellent machine to have for both of your rooms, especially at that price point (see previous page for details). It is like getting a split for the price of a window unit, well almost.

Last edited by khoj : 2nd March 2011 at 19:07.
Old 2nd March 2011, 20:32   #1457
Senior - BHPian

From what I have seen, Daikin .75 tonne inverter( there is no specific tonnage here.) with R410

Mitsu Heavy 1.0 tonne inverter

and

Toshiba/ Hitachi 1.5 tonne inverters are best in their respective capacities.

I am not really a fan of cube ac's from Panasonic, but this is a personal opinion only. Also I find them to be not very efficient.
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:30   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Questions
  1. What should be the capacity of A/C that I should look at for these rooms?
    1.2 Ton
  2. Room 1 can have a split A/C. Which would be a good buy?
    What is your Budget. Too many choices here.
  3. Room 2 can have a window A/C. Which would be a good buy?
    General, Whirlpool, Hitachi Quadracool TM, In order of performance.
  4. Is it worth looking at inverter A/Cs with the kind of usage that I will have?
    If you are Green at heart why not. Look at Daikin or Panasonic for inverters, period.
  5. Do I need to get stabilizers for these?
    If your area experiences brown outs, dirty supply then yes definitely.
EDIT

The Panasonic cube 1.2 ton @ Rs. 16.5K, that fellow member Neilguy has bought would be an excellent machine to have for both of your rooms, especially at that price point (see previous page for details). It is like getting a split for the price of a window unit, well almost.

Khoj, thanks for your reply. Again a few doubts.
  1. Panasonic has two ranges of inverter A/Cs - econ inverter - chrome and econ inverter - silver. Both are available in 1.5T and 1.0T. Nothing like 1.2T. The 1.5T models are CS-PS18MKY (silver) and CS-S18MKY (chrome). Any idea what they cost. How much would a similar daikin cost? These panasonic models come with R410A.
  2. For the window A/C, I see that there is a 1.14T O-General AC (model no AMG13G). Are there inverter window A/Cs? This does not seem to be an inverter model. Can this be treated as a 1.2T model? What would be the cost of this?
The above information is from their websites. I hope it is reliable information.

At the location where I wish to get the indoor unit fixed, it would be difficult to fit the Panasonic cube indoor unit in terms of height.

Last edited by pjbiju : 2nd March 2011 at 21:32.
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:33   #1459
BHPian

Panasonic econ inverter chrome 1ton costs 40000 and econ inverter silver costs 34000 as enquired at Panasonic brand shop in Mangalore.

I was also told that, for the inverter ACs to save power, the tonnage has to be correct for the room, otherwise it may actually consume more power. Experts,please share your thoughts on this. For my requirement (168sqft room, ac requirement at night,temp of about 24)I was told I require 1.5ton, but I find 1 ton doing a satisfactory job in several other houses with even slightly larger rooms. I cannot afford a 1.5ton inverter but 1 ton would go fine with my purse.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 2nd March 2011 at 23:41.
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:13   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Panasonic econ inverter chrome 1ton costs 40000 and econ inverter silver costs 34000 as enquired at Panasonic brand shop in Mangalore.

I was also told that, for the inverter ACs to save power, the tonnage has to be correct for the room, otherwise it may actually consume more power. Experts,please share your thoughts on this. For my requirement (168sqft room, ac requirement at night,temp of about 24)I was told I require 1.5ton, but I find 1 ton doing a satisfactory job in several other houses with even slightly larger rooms. I cannot afford a 1.5ton inverter but 1 ton would go fine with my purse.
For inverter to save power it should be slightly over specified. Then the AC would run slower once the cooling is achieved and save power.
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:07   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

A 1 tonne inverter runs between .8-1.25 (basic assumption). For cooling a 170sq.feet room, you need atleast 1.25 tonnage with higher efficiency. If the room has a sun facing wall and big windows/ bad insulation, increase that tonnage to 1.5.

Better go in for a 1.5 non-inverter.

Edit: Check out Toshiba RAS-18 SKCV invertor. I do not know the price though.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd March 2011 at 14:10.
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:19   #1462
BHPian

Just purchased another Daikin AC for my office - 0.75 ton unit (Rs.25000). Was planning to try out the General, but looks like they have a couple of models in 0.75 ton - one is 5* and the other is 2*. The dealer wasn't sure about the specs, while the ETA General website hasn't been updated for a while. So, didn't take a chance and went for Daikin. Interestingly, there are not many 0.75 ton ACs with 5* rating in the market, while a lot of 1 ton ACs are 5* rated.

Infact, after using a couple of 2 Ton Daikin ACs for the last 6 months, I have become a fan of Daikin brand. I have one Carrier Estrella (rebadged Toshiba Daisekai) too, but I don't think it is as good as Daikin.
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:01   #1463
BHPian

Thank you Aroy and Devarshi84. Yes, I think I should go for 1.5ton non-inverter.

My choice is limited to Voltas and Panasonic as they have reliable service in my town. Hitachi is a second option as service is available in Mangalore. I am not too confident about Samsung, LG, Onida,Godrej. I think I will settle for Voltas.
Old 4th March 2011, 00:21   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Hitachi has a 1.2 that might meet your need. It is called the I-clean. THe ace cut-out and ace follow me versions are just the same unit but with less efficiency. But you might be able to get a 1.5 5-star voltas for less than Hitachi money.

Between voltas and Panasonic, It is a price game. Decide on what suits your budget.
Old 4th March 2011, 03:09   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Between the Panasonic and the Voltas my money would go to Panasonic, eyes closed. Sure it might be a little more expensive compared to the Chinese import wearing the Voltas label but then it is so much more better in all respects.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:04   #1466
Senior - BHPian

@khoj: After owning a few Voltas Units, I would say their service and product quality are pretty good.

I won't compare it to Panasonic for quality (I do not own one). But I am yet to fault with a Voltas.
Old 4th March 2011, 13:17   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Hi devarshi84,

My experience with Voltas has been the exact opposite and good with Panasonic. It is good news if Voltas has turned over a new leaf. However the fact remains that almost all of their range is sourced out of China. Nothing wrong in that provided they are able to source the right quality every season.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:56   #1468
BHPian

Aah, I didnt know Voltas had a Chinese heart. Appliance shops around here swear by Voltas. Regarding Panasonic, one salesman tells me frankly " It is new here sir, so it is difficult to comment but there have not been any complaints. Besides, the service is also good". I hope Panasonic has a better heart,even if Chinese,hopefully it will be "Panasonic" Chinese!

I remember reading somewhere (I think in this thread itself),Panasonic has Hitachi compressor (or was it Toshiba?)

Now I am leaning towards Panasonic.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 4th March 2011 at 22:57.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:36   #1469
BHPian

Go in for Hitachi or O General, especially for coastal regions. Only they can serve you for a guaranteed 10 years without any trouble in my opinion. The higher price you pay for the equipment will be returned in form of electricity bill savings over a period of time.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 4th March 2011 at 23:39.
Old 5th March 2011, 14:26   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Incorrect. Voltas and Onida Last as long as any Hitachi, Daikin or Mitsubishi. Even Onida uses Hitachi Compressors. Parts sharing is common amongst companies.

Japanese multinationals charge more as they have to pay import duties on CBU just like in cars. Voltas Onida and Videocon are cheaper because many of their parts are made in India. It is the same case as Chevrolet vs. BMW.

I am not a Voltas/Onida fan. Infact I am buying all Hitachi for my house but I have experience with Voltas units currently running more than 10 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks