Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 13:49   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The Indoor units for drawing room are 3 x 3 tons
Of course if you fit 9 tons worth of IDUs in ONE room then THAT room can handle almost complete output of the 10 ton compressor!
I have no dispute with this. What you said earlier was incorrect - that any room could handle full output if the others were unused!
Old 16th September 2010, 13:57   #1337
BHPian

Voltas or Daikin?

Have got quotes for Voltas as follows:
Vertis Gold i Split AC 1.5 ton : 26000 + 1500 (installation)
Rated EER 3.11

Quote for Daikin:
FT50G (G series 1.5 ton) 5 star : 38000
EER 3.38

FTKD50FVM (inverter 1.5 ton) 5 star : 49500
stabilizer extra.
EER ??

This is the model recomended in the forum, but it is double the price of Voltas.

In Daikin too, installation extra, assuming same as Rs 1500. Copper tubes, stand, etc are charged extra in Daikin.

Now since requirement is for Service Apartment Hotel, guests will be running AC a lot, to do paisa vasool. So will go for Daikin only if the power savings is really a lot.

Which is good? Is there any other brand which is as good as Voltas? How is after sales service of Voltas?
Old 16th September 2010, 14:48   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

My 3-yr-old Samsung 1-ton split has developed yet another gas leak. The inside unit is away with the local repair man now.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:36   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post
Have got quotes for Voltas as follows:
Vertis Gold i Split AC 1.5 ton : 26000 + 1500 (installation)
Rated EER 3.11

Now since requirement is for Service Apartment Hotel, guests will be running AC a lot, to do paisa vasool. So will go for Daikin only if the power savings is really a lot.

Which is good? Is there any other brand which is as good as Voltas? How is after sales service of Voltas?
abeerbagul

The difference in EER is not all that much. Please consider the following

- As the AC is to be a used in commercial environment, after sales service and part availability is more important for you.
- The AMC for a cheaper product will also be less.
- Even if the AC is run 24/7 for nine months you have about 275 days of running. For you to recover the cost difference of 12K the AC has to consume 10K/275 = 44/day more.
- I have noticed that in Hotel environment the knobs and other user controllable parts get damaged fast. Replacement from Daikin may be more expensive than from Voltas.

Hence I think that the Voltas is a better bet for you, as you will have both lower capital cost initially as well as lower annual maintenance.

Just checked Voltas site, they have the "Veritas Gold Split AC", with slightly better EER.
Star Rating (Stars) 5
Air Conditioner SAP Code 4501239
Indoor unit SAP Code 4551141
Out door unit SAP code 4511158
Rated Cooling Capacity 5100
Rated Current- Cooling 7.3
Rated Power Input- Cooling 1620
Rated EER 3.15
Power Supply 230 / 50 / 1 Phase
Old 16th September 2010, 15:42   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeerbagul View Post

Quote for Daikin:
FT50G (G series 1.5 ton) 5 star : 38000
EER 3.38
@abeerbagul - I bought this very Daikin model in May this year. So far its been a class apart from all the ACs we have used over the years. In fact I had uploaded a Cost Benefit Analysis sheet here sometime back and let me tell you I get very close to the exact savings that I had anticipated. My AC is run 8 to 9 hours a day, everyday.

Hope this helps you in taking a decision.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:19   #1341
BHPian

AC dilemma!

Friends,

I have been using a Carrier 1.5t and a LG 1ton window acs for two of my rooms for the past 9 years now. But I want to upgrade to something which is the best and hence need opinions. I have zeroed down on the Hitachi Quadricool TM and the O-General 1.5t. Am getting a great deal on the Hitachi in Mumbai. I checked out Samsung and liked their bio sleep feature, but isnt it present in the general and hitachi as well??( Kaimin). Dont wish to go for any Koreans this time around:P

Also, please tell me which are the good dealers( not necessary a big showroom) in the western suburbs where I can get a good deal. Price wise, the 1.5ton Hitachi and General are the same price as per what I have checked around VileParle, where am located. So I have a choice of either going in with 2x hitachis-1.5 & 1ton OR General vice versa.

Replies & opinions will be highly appreciated

Thanks.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:32   #1342
Senior - BHPian

@ coolmel

General is General others are well just air cons. If you are buying 1.5 ton then ask for the general machine with the reciprocating compressor instead of the rotary. Though a wee bit more expensive to run this model is par excellence, it is available in both manual and remote controlled versions.

At the corner of Juhu Galli(the original avatar) where the galli would end in a T junction towards Juhu there was / is an authorised General dealer right there on the corner (towards the right hand side) before you make the turn.

You could also check with Alfa for prices on the General if you are OK with grey market stuff.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:11   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@ coolmel

General is General others are well just air cons. If you are buying 1.5 ton then ask for the general machine with the reciprocating compressor instead of the rotary. Though a wee bit more expensive to run this model is par excellence, it is available in both manual and remote controlled versions.

At the corner of Juhu Galli(the original avatar) where the galli would end in a T junction towards Juhu there was / is an authorised General dealer right there on the corner (towards the right hand side) before you make the turn.

You could also check with Alfa for prices on the General if you are OK with grey market stuff.
Hey buddy, thanks for the info. I checked out the general website, but no info. I didnt get the map though, you meant I should take a right at the Costa coffee junction or the one at the end which heads towards andheri?? I dont mind shelling out more. Let me find the difference between this dealer and Alfa( never bought an AC from the grey market, so any help would suffice).
Pm me your no, shall buzz you.

Although I have locked down on the Hitachi quadricool TM and the General which you mentioned, same prices elsewhere. Lets see.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:22   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I didnt get the map though, you meant I should take a right at the Costa coffee junction or the one at the end which heads towards andheri??
It is exactly the other way round. Go from the Andheri side to the Juhu end and the shop was on the T junction but still in the Gulli.

Quote:
Pm me your no, shall buzz you.
Done.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:04   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although I have locked down on the Hitachi quadricool TM and the General which you mentioned, same prices elsewhere. Lets see.
I have 3 Hitachi - Normal 5 years, Quadricool 4 years and split 2 years. All work perfectly. The only problem is with the oldest one, which was spoilt by independent mechanic. Since then we get all serviced by the company agents. Keep in mind that all modern AC have logic controlled operation - fan, compressor, thermostat etc, so you are better off with the company personnel.
Old 8th October 2010, 20:11   #1346
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
General is General others are well just air cons. If you are buying 1.5 ton then ask for the general machine with the reciprocating compressor instead of the rotary. Though a wee bit more expensive to run this model is par excellence
A very-very over-rated A.C. indeed. Actually its more of a cooler than an A.C. The people who truly know A.C's can appretiate this fact. General has high fan speed than other A.C's but cooling is mush lesser.

Me & a lot of my friends who got General A.C's installed, now regret & changed to lesser known brands like Samsung, Hitachi, LG, etc & are a happier lot now.
Old 8th October 2010, 20:13   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
A very-very over-rated A.C. indeed. Actually its more of a cooler than an A.C. The people who truly know A.C's can appretiate this fact. General has high fan speed than other A.C's but cooling is mush lesser.

Me & a lot of my friends who got General A.C's installed, now regret & changed to lesser known brands like Samsung, Hitachi, LG, etc & are a happier lot now.
That's the FIRST EVER person I have seen who finds General cooling inadequate. I am shocked to read this post my friend.
Old 8th October 2010, 20:20   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

There is a lot more than the fan and its speed that goes on to make an air conditioner. However if you would care to post in detail regarding the issues that you and a lot of your friends seem to be having along with photos of the unit and its interiors, it could actually help a lot of other guys for whom the General is one of the best that there is.
Old 8th October 2010, 20:23   #1349
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
That's the FIRST EVER person I have seen who finds General cooling inadequate.
Try a comparison test, I did that & even LG scored better than General.
General's USP is its fan speed which is more than others because of a bigger motor. On the cooling front it loses. Also the minimum temp. one can adjust on General is 18deg. while on many others it can be brought down to 16 deg.

If you want a AC that gives a blast of air, choose General but if you want an AC that cools faster & more, choose others.

@Khoj, precisely General's USP is fan speed. I'll put of the pics of the General unit I have.
General's air throw, fan speed is more than others but the cooling is mush lesser. The fast fan speed makes one believe that it cools the most. Try it out, stand in front of a General unit, witness the cooling & not the air throw, now stand in front of any other A.C. & experience the cooling effect. Air throw from other A.C. would be less but cooling would be more.

Last edited by AWD : 8th October 2010 at 20:28.
Old 8th October 2010, 20:24   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Ok. That's something I haven't encountered. I have owned 6 General Window AC's. I pretty much thought they were the holy grail.
TILL, I bought my Daikin Inverter ACs.

Most Viewed