Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 20:42   #1276
Senior - BHPian

I have never been more confused in my life in buying a home appliance than an AC right now.

I need 3 as of tomorrow.

Everyone I speak to has something good or bad to say about a particular brand and that confuses me even more !!

Now I have finally decided to take the plunge and go the safe way - Buy 2 O General AC's 1.5 tonne Window Units @ 26k or so only AC. 2.5 + 0.5k for stabiliser and installation which brings the total to 29k for OGeneral 1.5 Window.

An LG / Whirlpool / Onida costs about 5k less and I think its beter to go for this.

What say friends - Any final comments / advise / remarks to confuse me further ??
Old 15th July 2010, 01:46   #1277
BHPian

Can anyone tell me the standby power of a 0.8T Window AC, specifically Carrier Estrella Electronic ? Thanks.
Old 15th July 2010, 02:00   #1278
Senior - BHPian

O general at 26k sounds less,is it discounted?
Old 15th July 2010, 09:06   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Made is Agra probably :P
Old 15th July 2010, 09:07   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
It is the standard price, not discounted. The Split 1.5 tonne however is 39k !! That is a the biggest jump / difference in any brand.

I checked on a few online sites too and the 1.5 tonne window unit retails from anywhere between 25 - 28k so it seems right.

@Shashank - No !!
Old 15th July 2010, 10:08   #1281
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Now I have finally decided to take the plunge and go the safe way - Buy 2 O General AC's 1.5 tonne Window Units @ 26k or so only AC. 2.5 + 0.5k for stabiliser and installation which brings the total to 29k for OGeneral 1.5 Window.

An LG / Whirlpool / Onida costs about 5k less and I think its beter to go for this.

What say friends - Any final comments / advise / remarks to confuse me further ??
Go for Whirlpool 3 star Window AC. MRP is 20500 ; dealer gives it for 19500.

I bought it two months back and very satisfied with it. the electricity bill has also improved. Go for 3 star only. it is being imported as CKD.
Old 16th July 2010, 15:25   #1282

Hitatchi or O General 1.5 T Window? Both are at around 25.5K (installation + stabilizer extra) and 3 Star rated.

@SCH - what model is the Whirlpool? How does it compare to, say, Hitatchi?
Old 16th July 2010, 16:12   #1283
SCH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloathsomebrute View Post
Hitatchi or O General 1.5 T Window? Both are at around 25.5K (installation + stabilizer extra) and 3 Star rated.

@SCH - what model is the Whirlpool? How does it compare to, say, Hitatchi?
It is the Royal Model of Whirlpool 3 star rated. Go for this it is an amazing unit. Hitachi is nearly 6k more expensive. not worth spending extra money. If you are in doubt take one Hitachi and One whirlpool ( 3 star rated window AC). I am sure you would be pleaswntly surprised with Whirlpool. Infact three people have already bought seeing my unit and are happy with their choice.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:25   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
It is the Royal Model of Whirlpool 3 star rated. Go for this it is an amazing unit. Hitachi is nearly 6k more expensive. not worth spending extra money. If you are in doubt take one Hitachi and One whirlpool ( 3 star rated window AC). I am sure you would be pleaswntly surprised with Whirlpool. Infact three people have already bought seeing my unit and are happy with their choice.
I can vouch for Whirlpool too. Got a 2 star deluxe model last month and it is brilliant in its performance. Damage to pocket was 19000 + 3000 for stabilizer and installation.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:27   #1285

Thanks pankaj. My only concern is if 1 or 2 months or even 1 summer is long enough to judge an AC or a brand. Of course, you can only comment on how long you've had it, so I appreciate the input :-)
Old 17th July 2010, 08:54   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Ok !! Finally bought 3 ac's yesterday.

2 Onidas 1.5tr window
1 O general 1.5 tr window

Onida costed me 16.5 + 2.5k = 19k incl installation
O General costed me 26.5k + 2.5k + .5k = 29.5 k

Have not yet installed, he comes today. Will give you guys a report.

Reason for buying Onida is a very close friend owned the store and he gave me a good deal and I was assured of service. Also everyone praised it. The Unit alone says 60 kilos weight and I am told it's a Hitachi Compressor !!
Old 17th July 2010, 10:17   #1287
BANNED

Watch out for Samsung

A friend of mine had a hopeless experience with Samsung service. Their AC (about 4 yrars old) was not working when his wife returned after a fortnight. She called the dealer who had supplied the AC. A man came within two hours, checked the AC out, and declared the compressor dead. Since it was a warranty job he said that Samsung will have to do it since they are no longer allowed to undertake warranty repairs of the sealed system. He added that they should come in a day. Samsung did not respond for a couple of days, and finally a person showed up on the 4th (or was it 5th) day. He declared the compressor dead, and said that i. she needed the original receipt and ii. a van will come the next day and collect it. Further he said that she will have to pay for essentially everything except the compressor itself and labour. The fact that she had the service receipt from a free service within the first year, with all details was irrelevant. A she husband was abroad, she talked to the vendor, and got a duplicate receipt. Nobody showed up for four days, and only after her husband returned and though his contacts had to go up to the DGM level, did they collected the AC.

The issue is that what is the purpose of the warranty when they want to even charge for the gas, it is not leakage, but compressor failure. Also, why it took them two weeks to collect the AC!

The dealer concerned is by far the largest in Kanpur and was the service centre for Samsung (and is for most brands he sells).

The moral is that do not buy Samsung any more.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:35   #1288
Team-BHP Support

The 'clean filter' lamp is blinking despite the filter being opened up and cleaned.
Weird!
Any suggestions?
Make--Whirlpool 1.5T
^have called cc and they have said, they shall respond soon.
Old 17th July 2010, 11:06   #1289
SCH
BHPian

[quote=Sheel;1985076]The 'clean filter' lamp is blinking despite the filter being opened up and cleaned.
Weird!
Any suggestions?
Make--Whirlpool 1.5T

This is normal, press the filter button again and light will go off. Actually Whirlpool Ac's are programmed such that the Clean filter lamp would come on after 260 hrs of operation.

This was told to me by the service engineer and I have experienced it my self.

This also serves as a reminder for filter cleaning.
Old 17th July 2010, 15:42   #1290

Guys who bought Whirlpool this season - what compressor does your unit have? I know one guy said Panasonic, but I am not sure about the others. Can the compressor vary from one unit/ dealer to the other? Which ones to say yes/ no to?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks