Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 12:11   #1441
IMP
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Bought a Panasonic Cube 1.2 ton split AC with remote for 16.5K from the Panasonic store this weekend. Waiting for the (free) installation to judge performance.

Only feature missing IMO is that it does not have directional controls to direct air flow!
Did you get it installed? What do you think about it? I am thinking of getting this one for one of our bedrooms. The prices are surely tempting.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:33   #1442
Senior - BHPian

I have checked details for buying 5 a/c's at my place. I would suggest you look at 1.25 tonne offerings. But room height, doors and windows and outside wall heating are also some of the factors to be considered.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:30   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
Did you get it installed? What do you think about it? I am thinking of getting this one for one of our bedrooms. The prices are surely tempting.
Very fast and efficient cooling. There is no directional control to direct the airflow, but still the "throw" is decent. The wind throw is quite powerful and a little to the right of the unit (diagonally) instead of dead straight. Only feature I did not like is that there are only 2 fan speeds, low and high, nothing in between! The unit itself is pretty quiet.

The installers were very disappointing and took more than 3 hours to install the thing, poked holes in the wall without asking and used electrical outlets without confirming. Plus, he forced me to buy his voltage stabilizer even though I had a circuit breaker already installed.

If the size appeals to you (it does look odd having a huge cube so high in the wall) then it surely is a good buy.
Old 25th February 2011, 22:02   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Hey Neilguy,

Can you post a photo of the front and back of the unit. It does not show up on their website and the local dealers are feigning ignorance.
Old 26th February 2011, 17:35   #1445
BHPian

Guys

I have a Panasonic split 1.5T eon pearl 2* rated ac for my bedroom. Its really good and fuss free. It doesnt have lots of features but i like it that way. I want a simple pure thing and i got what i want (my mom doesnt like it though. she says u cannot control it in dark as the remote is not back lit and the ac has only a small green light to show that its working and emits a really tiny beep to tell you that it has recognised your remote command).
I got it on july 2009 for 27k from viveks t nager. Though their initial installation was very good, when i shifted to my new house the re installation was pathetic. they didnt bring in extra copper tubes, they didnt check for leaks after installation and i have to instruct them how to proceed. I made them weld two pieces of copper tube to compensate for the length (they told me to go and buy 3 mts of new copper tube for Rs 1800 which i flatly refused. i had the same lenth in 2 pieces and asked them to join it. After installation they were leaving when i told them to check for leakages which they didnt). Finally after 4 hours and lots of fight they installed my machine and left. now they havent visited for 7 months (my ac is in extended warranty and every 6 months they are supposed to pay me a visit to check and clean the ac for free. They did that twice before shifting) i plan to call them on monday for the fight.

on the performance front i just love it, clean set it at 26 and medium speed and you are comfortable in chennai for atleast 8 months.

I recommend panasonic as an alternate to hitachi.
Old 1st March 2011, 21:35   #1446
BHPian

Posting a few pics of the Panasonic Cube 1.2t AC which was installed at my place last week.

My initial impression of the unit is as I mentioned earlier. It's got a powerful blower which cools my ~150 sq ft room in minutes. The fan blows air over the oversized cooling fins, hence the cooling occurs much faster. Relatively silent. Waiting for the bill shock at the end of the month. It could have done with a little more choice in fan speed than just low and high (nothing in between). Both the inner and outer units are "Made in Malaysia".

But IMO it would look ugly in a living room, but again, its just my opinion. Looks a little "fat" Very good VFM for a bedroom AC.
Attached Thumbnails
The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0046.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0049.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0047.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0026.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0020.jpg  

The home / office air-conditioner thread-img_0050.jpg  

Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 22:09   #1447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

But IMO it would look ugly in a living room, but again, its just my opinion. Looks a little "fat" Very good VFM for a bedroom AC.
I second that. From the pics, it does look a little bulky for a drawing room I am actually planning to get a basic, no frills one for my bedroom before this summer starts. I am interested in this one. Since you mentioned VFM, How much did this one set you back by, if I may ask?
Old 2nd March 2011, 01:15   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting a few pics of the Panasonic Cube 1.2t AC which was installed at my place last week.
Thanks for the snaps Neilguy. I like it a square indoor unit instead of a rectangular one, very interesting. I especially like how the air filter can be pulled straight out from the bottom, sure beats climbing up on a ladder etc to get the filters out from regular ones. I will await to see your post regarding the units consumed over a week, fortnight or a month of running, whichever period works for you.
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:42   #1449
BANNED

Looks interesting. Agree with the good filter design. Slide out is adapted from the Window Technology. Yes, does look a bit bulky.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:54   #1450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
How much did this one set you back by, if I may ask?
Here you go...

Quote:
Bought a Panasonic Cube 1.2 ton split AC with remote for 16.5K from the Panasonic store this weekend.
This one would work(look) well in a big hall I guess.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:43   #1451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Here you go...
oops! missed that one.. 16.5k looks like a good competitive price..
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:51   #1452
IMP
BHPian

Thanks Neilguy for the pics! I feel that the indoors unit will look bulky in my bedroom.

Guys I can't decide whether to go for a split or a window ac. My room already has a provision in the window to fit a ac there. So installing it there would be easy. Whereas for the split locating the outdoor unit is a problem since there is no other space other than in the balcony, and the piping would be visible from both the outside and inside.

Which is the most silent window ac? I am looking at the Hitachi Summer QC range. Any other options? If window ac's are not that silent, then i'll opt for a split.

Is a 1.0 ton ac sufficient for a 125 sqft room in Pune? the room is not on the top floor and one of its sides is exposed to the sunlight.

Cheers.

Edit: Just found out from the specifications, Panasonic cube indoor unit noise level - 51/41 dB-A (Hi/Low) Hitachi Summer QC - 45 dB, LG split 35 dB.

Last edited by IMP : 2nd March 2011 at 14:01.
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:15   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
Which is the most silent window ac? I am looking at the Hitachi Summer QC range. Any other options? If window ac's are not that silent, then i'll opt for a split.

Is a 1.0 ton ac sufficient for a 125 sqft room in Pune? the room is not on the top floor and one of its sides is exposed to the sunlight.

Cheers.

Edit: Just found out from the specifications, Panasonic cube indoor unit noise level - 51/41 dB-A (Hi/Low) Hitachi Summer QC - 45 dB, LG split 35 dB.
You have to take these claimed noise levels with a heavy dose of salt as these are measured under ideal conditions which do not reflect the true conditions of an actual installation.

The truly quiet window ac is The Hitachi Quadricool TM with dual fans one for the inner blower and the second one for the outer blower. The TM is important as the normal Quadricool is as noisy as the others. After this the other quiet air con is the OGeneral/General window unit. After these two you may or may not get lucky with the others.

A ton should be quite alright for the 125 sq ft room in Poona especially for the room whose location you have posted.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:20   #1454
BHPian

@IMP: Being a user of Carrier. General, Onida, and Hitachi for 6+ yrs and Hitachi Quadricool TM (twin blower) for 2+ years now, I can vouch that the Quadricool is as silent as my split and also the most energy efficient.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:45   #1455
Senior - BHPian

I have two bedrooms of the following sizes
  1. 10.5 (w) x 12.5 (l) x 9.5 (h) ft. The room gets sunlight till noon on one of its walls (10.5 ft).
  2. 10.5 (w) x 13.5 (l) x 9.5 (h) ft. The room gets sunlight from late noon till evening on one of its walls (10.5 ft)
Usage:
  • Room 1 will be used in the afternoon for 3-4 hours and at night for 8-9 hours from March through June.
  • Room 2 will be used in the night for 8-9 hours from March through June.
Questions
  1. What should be the capacity of A/C that I should look at for these rooms?
  2. Room 1 can have a split A/C. Which would be a good buy?
  3. Room 2 can have a window A/C. Which would be a good buy?
  4. Is it worth looking at inverter A/Cs with the kind of usage that I will have?
  5. Do I need to get stabilizers for these?
Appreciate your answers.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 2nd March 2011 at 18:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks