Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 23:34   #1486
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

I look at it the other way. Most new flat windows are made to accommodate window AC's. Also once you uninstall a split, it will cost more to re-install everytime. Plus the piping and wires show.

Not to say that window ac's are a better bet. I feel window ac's are much better option for those renting/ traveling frequently.

Just my two cents based on my experience.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:16   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Split air conditioners are best suited for rental flats as the hole to be drilled is only 2"~2.5" diameter. At the time of vacating one can themselves easily fill this with some broken bricks/aggregate and cement putty. Comparatively losing a window to the machine is more expensive in terms of opening up the frames/glass removal and then putting everything back together as a carpenter would be required to do the job both times and also to build the wooden frame. The carpenter's charges themselves could be almost a 1000 odd each time. The hole for the split will be done by the ac technician at no additional cost.

That is my way of looking at things. You could look at Whirlpool for good quality machines at the right price points. Much much better compared to the Korean majors and imports from China wearing local labels.
If you think that this is expensive, then factor in the dismantling of a split AC and gas charging after assembling it at the new location. It can easily cross 2k.

Another advantage of a window AC is that in case of repairs, you can easily get a standby unit which would slide in the metal frame, not possible with a split!
Old 9th March 2011, 09:37   #1488
BANNED

I remember about a decade ago I was advised by a veteran dealer - do not go for a split unless you have no option. Also, I think some of the Hitachi Window models are (or at least approach) 5*.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:43   #1489
Team-BHP Support

Recently I shifted my home. So moved the split from there to my new house. Being preoccupied with other work, there was almost a month between ac removed and installed.

The Split ac is working fine. Cooling etc is very good but there is a smelly problem at high temperatures.

If I keep the temperature setting around 27 degrees or more a bad smell comes.
But if I keep it at around 20 degrees, no smell at all.

How do I get rid of this smell.

I need the AC to be on as Hyderabad is HOT. But with a small infant in the room, cannot use it below 25 degrees.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:45   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Not just HItachi, many other makes also have 5 star window ac's.
Old 9th March 2011, 17:38   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Posting a few pics of the Panasonic Cube 1.2t AC which was installed at my place last week.

My initial impression of the unit is as I mentioned earlier. It's got a powerful blower which cools my ~150 sq ft room in minutes. The fan blows air over the oversized cooling fins, hence the cooling occurs much faster. Relatively silent. Waiting for the bill shock at the end of the month. It could have done with a little more choice in fan speed than just low and high (nothing in between). Both the inner and outer units are "Made in Malaysia".

But IMO it would look ugly in a living room, but again, its just my opinion. Looks a little "fat" Very good VFM for a bedroom AC.
Thanks for the pics of Panasonic Cube 1.2T as its more convincing than those available on the net. Am thinking of to go for this model and now its available here for 14.5K including installation.

I've a doubt about this model, does this have a feature called "Kaimin" which is coming on Hitachi models? Its will reduce the cooling level on a preset intervals to avoid feeling chilly when you wake up in morning. I know am expecting too much from a an entry level AC but still hoping for any similar setting on that

Here's the description about "Kaimin" from Hitachi:

Ever woken up feeling chilly in the middle of the night? ‘Kaimin’ adjusts the temperature automatically through the night to suit your body needs. It is an intelligent feature that ensures you get sound sleep every night and wake up feeling fresh every morning. By raising 1˚ C per hour for upto 4 hours, its operation ensures saving of power.

How about the month end wallet damage? Its time to update that too
Old 9th March 2011, 17:45   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Recently I shifted my home. So moved the split from there to my new house. Being preoccupied with other work, there was almost a month between ac removed and installed.

The Split ac is working fine. Cooling etc is very good but there is a smelly problem at high temperatures.

I need the AC to be on as Hyderabad is HOT. But with a small infant in the room, cannot use it below 25 degrees.
Run the AC on the highest setting (34?) on high blower and leave it on for sometime. There will be dust and fungus filled in the pipes which gives the foul smell. Not good to have an infant with the dirty air. If the smell doesn't go, you are better off doing a proper service.
Old 9th March 2011, 17:49   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Thanks for the pics of Panasonic Cube 1.2T as its more convincing than those available on the net. Am thinking of to go for this model and now its available here for 14.5K including installation.

I've a doubt about this model, does this have a feature called "Kaimin" which is coming on Hitachi models? Its will reduce the cooling level on a preset intervals to avoid feeling chilly when you wake up in morning. I know am expecting too much from a an entry level AC but still hoping for any similar setting on that

Here's the description about "Kaimin" from Hitachi:

Ever woken up feeling chilly in the middle of the night? ‘Kaimin’ adjusts the temperature automatically through the night to suit your body needs. It is an intelligent feature that ensures you get sound sleep every night and wake up feeling fresh every morning. By raising 1˚ C per hour for upto 4 hours, its operation ensures saving of power.

How about the month end wallet damage? Its time to update that too
Wow, 14.5k is a good price, but make sure it is the model with remote, as the model without remote cost 1k cheaper at 15.5k in Hyd (including installation).

It does NOT have "Kaimin" feature, but it does turn off the cooling (only fan running) when the preset temperature is reached. I usually set the room temp to around 25/26 C (outside temp is 34+) and I find after 10-15 mins or so, the outside unit fan stops and the cooling is off, because the whole room has reached the set temp. This makes me "not feel chilly" when I wake up in the mornings!

Didn't use the AC significantly during last month's billing cycle, so waiting for this months bill to update about the bill shock.
Old 9th March 2011, 18:26   #1494
BHPian

Will be finalizing on something by coming Saturday.

A question just struck me. Do I need to keep an eye on the Manufacturing date? Store could have last years stock. Is there an issue taking a year-old new machine?

Budget Rs.20,000/-. +-2k.

MaSh
Old 9th March 2011, 20:37   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Wow, 14.5k is a good price, but make sure it is the model with remote, as the model without remote cost 1k cheaper at 15.5k in Hyd (including installation).

It does NOT have "Kaimin" feature, but it does turn off the cooling (only fan running) when the preset temperature is reached. I usually set the room temp to around 25/26 C (outside temp is 34+) and I find after 10-15 mins or so, the outside unit fan stops and the cooling is off, because the whole room has reached the set temp. This makes me "not feel chilly" when I wake up in the mornings!

Didn't use the AC significantly during last month's billing cycle, so waiting for this months bill to update about the bill shock.
My bad I didn't noticed it, yeah so without remote its cheaper by 1k. But once every thing set on the AC before going to sleep do you think that a remote is a must like TVs? Or all these settings can only done with a remote? Am I missing anything?
Old 9th March 2011, 22:03   #1496
Senior - BHPian

For those looking to buy a 5 star 1 tonne a.c., Videocon has a 1 tonne A.c. on offer for 21500 with installation.

Hope it helps someone
Old 9th March 2011, 22:09   #1497
BHPian

Just got the Daikin installed after swaying between Onida, Hitachi, General, and Panasonic. Amazing a/c cools fast and need to keep checking if its on!!! It doesnt have display like Onida so sometimes I end checking if its actually working.

What surprised me more was the reduced noise level of the outdoor. Since the outdoor was next to my window, previously (was using Pana 1 ton) it used to be quite audible,. Now its reduced drastically. All in all seems to be worth the premium. The package says made in Thailand (FYI) no idea about where the compressor is made, i am asusming thats also in Thailand. DIdnt got for inverter model since I couldnt find any substantial savings btw 5 star and inverter in comparison to the premium price tag.

Paid 31k for 1 ton G series 5 star model including pipe, installation etc

Last edited by madbullram : 9th March 2011 at 22:11.
Old 10th March 2011, 00:24   #1498
Senior - BHPian

I won't divulge more details but there is not much difference between 1tonne R22 inverter and non-inverter in the Daikin range. I really mean not much difference.

But depending on your usage, you might be right in saying Inverter does not cover the cost for you.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 10th March 2011 at 00:26.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:12   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

When the AC is cooling you get a fresh smell. When the compressor if off (fan mode) then the air is recirculated. The smell may because of some dirt/fungus build up within the indoor unit. Check the air filter and clean it thoroughly. If the smell persists, as suggested run the AC on fan mode for one day, which will most probably clean up the inner air passages, if the smell still persists, get a AC technician to dismantle the indoor unit and clean it up. A trick used by many is to spray room freshener at the air inlet or on to the air filter and you will get pleasant smell for quite some time!
Old 10th March 2011, 22:41   #1500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
When the AC is cooling you get a fresh smell. When the compressor if off (fan mode) then the air is recirculated. The smell may because of some dirt/fungus build up within the indoor unit. Check the air filter and clean it thoroughly. If the smell persists, as suggested run the AC on fan mode for one day, which will most probably clean up the inner air passages, if the smell still persists, get a AC technician to dismantle the indoor unit and clean it up. A trick used by many is to spray room freshener at the air inlet or on to the air filter and you will get pleasant smell for quite some time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Run the AC on the highest setting (34?) on high blower and leave it on for sometime. There will be dust and fungus filled in the pipes which gives the foul smell. Not good to have an infant with the dirty air. If the smell doesn't go, you are better off doing a proper service.
Thanks guys.

I decided to closely check the ac installation while its been running for sometime.

Because its rented house, I had not put any holes in the wall for getting the pipes outside. Instead there was a small plywood sheet on the window. A hole was made in that and the pipes were run straight down from the ac unit and out thru that hole.

After the AC had run for close to 10 mins, found the curtain was wet.
Traced it to a badly installed water drain pipe.

It was running up the other pipes and then down. This water was leaking onto the curtain. Also sure that the water would have backed up into the indoor unit as well.

Fixed the pipe yesterday. Did not use the AC last night.
Tonight when I switched on the AC. NO Smell.

I have already cleaned the filter. Will use a vacuum cleaner and clean the rest of the unit as well.

Most Viewed