Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 00:02   #931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
Just like to share my experience after Fitting Air conditioner.

Model : LG - LSA3NF3VF1 Capacity : 1.0 Ton 3 Star Rating
Daily Usage Of A/c : 12 hours (day night mix)
First Month Bill after fitting A/c: Rs 600 extra in Electricity bill.
Thats it , just 600 Rs extra ?

I looked at specs ,it shows 1240 watts .

If I understand correctly , every hour it will consume 1240 watts .

that will be 1.24 KW X 12 hours X 30 days = 446.4 units .
Taking per unit as 3.90 rs after 100 units( as per BESCOM bill i have ) , that will be 446.4 X 3.90 = 1740.96 Rs + taxes extra .

Or did you fit the AC in the last 10 days of the bill coming . ? .Is it full 30 days of bill ?

Last edited by black12rr : 12th April 2010 at 00:07.
Old 12th April 2010, 00:54   #932
Senior - BHPian

Samsung at my place still not in working condition been lying at workshop for almost a week, first coil then compressor now donno what, it sucked big time.Bought a Voltas vertis plus 1 ton 3 * Split, good unit overall.Now planning a 2 ton vertis plus 3 *. Wanted to go for Panasonic but its on waiting here...
Old 12th April 2010, 00:59   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

One cannot work out the consumption quite so easily as that, as the rating is the maximum that the machine will draw. Being a thermostat-controlled thing, it is not going to be running on maximum except when doing full cooling with the compressor running.

Much would depend on how it is used, and how cold a person wants to be. Different people could probably have widely differing bills with similar machines.
Old 12th April 2010, 06:22   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Thats it , just 600 Rs extra ?

I looked at specs ,it shows 1240 watts .

If I understand correctly , every hour it will consume 1240 watts .

that will be 1.24 KW X 12 hours X 30 days = 446.4 units .
Taking per unit as 3.90 rs after 100 units( as per BESCOM bill i have ) , that will be 446.4 X 3.90 = 1740.96 Rs + taxes extra .

Or did you fit the AC in the last 10 days of the bill coming . ? .Is it full 30 days of bill ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One cannot work out the consumption quite so easily as that, as the rating is the maximum that the machine will draw. Being a thermostat-controlled thing, it is not going to be running on maximum except when doing full cooling with the compressor running.

Much would depend on how it is used, and how cold a person wants to be. Different people could probably have widely differing bills with similar machines.

black12rr: I started using AC from 13th March. New Bill starts from 9th March to 9th April.

Thad E Ginathom: I agree with you. This is my usage style. This AC Fitted in 130 square feet room. I keep AC on 26.c on sleep mode most of the time, with fan on. I was reading somewhere on internet saying with fan on AC will cool faster,and less work for compressor so less in EB. I think it worked out like that.
Old 12th April 2010, 08:58   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh man, never thought that I would be visiting this thread for info on which A/C to buy. In Bangalore -- NEVER.

BUT, it's soooooo freaking hot that I have taken the day off today just to buy the A/C and be done with. Can't live even 1 day in this heat.

99.99%, will be buying a 1.5T A/C today itself, making use of all the info in this thread. Thanks a TON Team-BHP, else I would be scratching my head on which A/C to buy :-)
Old 12th April 2010, 09:31   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
black12rr: I started using AC from 13th March. New Bill starts from 9th March to 9th April.

Thad E Ginathom: I agree with you. This is my usage style. This AC Fitted in 130 square feet room. I keep AC on 26.c on sleep mode most of the time, with fan on. I was reading somewhere on internet saying with fan on AC will cool faster,and less work for compressor so less in EB. I think it worked out like that.
Ah, that is the "wind chill factor " working for you! With the ceiling fan on, the AC will feel cooler than the set temperature. I leave the AC on the full night at 28 deg c, with the ceiling fan running at medium speed. Feels very comfortable!
Old 12th April 2010, 10:19   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ah, that is the "wind chill factor " working for you! With the ceiling fan on, the AC will feel cooler than the set temperature. I leave the AC on the full night at 28 deg c, with the ceiling fan running at medium speed. Feels very comfortable!
Sir, that works only when you have another floor above, means when there's an open terrace, this setup will consume more electricity.

Let me explain, for an open terrace, the heat during the days gets accumulated & once the fan is switched ON, the hot air from the roof is sent down & with the A/C ON, this is no exception. Now the A/C has to work harder to cool off the heat churned from the roof in addition to normal running.

Edit - Oh by the way, you beat me on the A/C temperature setting, we use 27.

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2010 at 10:20.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:29   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sir, that works only when you have another floor above, means when there's an open terrace, this setup will consume more electricity.

Let me explain, for an open terrace, the heat during the days gets accumulated & once the fan is switched ON, the hot air from the roof is sent down & with the A/C ON, this is no exception. Now the A/C has to work harder to cool off the heat churned from the roof in addition to normal running.
Looks like i have to turn fan off from today
Old 12th April 2010, 10:43   #939
Senior - BHPian

@aargee
Thanks, I forgot to mention that point! There is a bedroom above mine that also runs an AC at night, that is why it works for me very well even at 28 C.

But even if there is only terrace above, it will work fine after the initial hour or so. The thermostat will have to be set at 26, that is all! It will help to have sun cool coating on the terrace. But all the top floor flats will have to apply it without exception, else it will not work!
Old 12th April 2010, 13:07   #940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Let me explain, for an open terrace, the heat during the days gets accumulated & once the fan is switched ON, the hot air from the roof is sent down ...
Logically, it seems like this is how it should work, but actually a fan will always make you feel cooler, because as you sweat the air around you becomes saturated, and the fan moves that air, so your sweat can evaporate. This should be true even in a hut with a tin roof --- but I'm not volunteering to try it!

For me... I hate having a fan blowing on me, but I find that it can work if the fan is not above me, but keeping the air in the room moving.

By the way, we have a suncool paint finish on the terrace, which, having one storey only, is above our heads. I cannot say how much hotter the house would be without it, but I can say that I can walk barefoot on the terrace, which, without that paint, I would not even be able to touch with my delicate British foot!
Old 12th April 2010, 13:13   #941
BHPian

guys what ac consumes least electricity . is looking at 5 STAR ratibg enough or anything else also to be looked at ? . also what brand is reliable and cheap voltas/videocon/sony
Old 12th April 2010, 18:35   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Finalized the Whirlpool, 1.5T, 3* Rated, Chrome/Mastermind Series A/C in Coral Red Color.

25.5K inclusive of 5KVA V-Guard stabilizer, + install + Reebok shoes + some stupid/useless holiday package :-).

don't know if this is a good deal but never thought that shopping for A/C could be so confusing. I think buying a car or TV is sooooo easy compared to A/C -- there you can TD it or view the difference but here it is just paper specs you go by or reviews from friends etc.

Also, most shops have different brands/models and hence no baseline to get the comparison on price point to perfection. So, at the end of the day was relieved to have made a choice -- for good or bad :-(

Should get installed in a day or two.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:12   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
guys what ac consumes least electricity . is looking at 5 STAR ratibg enough or anything else also to be looked at ? . also what brand is reliable and cheap voltas/videocon/sony
Air conditioners from Sony ??

@Mr. Nobody, please read this thread from post #1; all your doubts will be cleared..
Old 13th April 2010, 00:59   #944
BHPian

Finally got my Voltas Vertis Premium 1.5 Ton 3 Star fixed and running .

Installation took about one hour. And I am delighted to say that it's very very effective! It managed to cool my bedroom, which is around 300 sq. feet from 32 degrees to 26 degrees in about 20 minutes or so!

Very happy with my purchase. Now just have to keep an eye on the EB for the coming month. Hope it doesn't go up too much.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:07   #945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Finalized the Whirlpool, 1.5T, 3* Rated, Chrome/Mastermind Series A/C in Coral Red Color.

25.5K inclusive of 5KVA V-Guard stabilizer, + install + Reebok shoes + some stupid/useless holiday package :-).

don't know if this is a good deal but never thought that shopping for A/C could be so confusing. I think buying a car or TV is sooooo easy compared to A/C -- there you can TD it or view the difference but here it is just paper specs you go by or reviews from friends etc.

Also, most shops have different brands/models and hence no baseline to get the comparison on price point to perfection. So, at the end of the day was relieved to have made a choice -- for good or bad :-(

Should get installed in a day or two.
Congrats, I got the same AC including the color but a 2.0 ton and is a 4* rating with Stablizer and installation free for about 27.5K.

But, i spent another 2K for some electrical equipment, some pipes and stand where you perch the outside unit.

Btw, nothing is free so be prepared to spend 1K-2K depending on layout of where you plan to install it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks