Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2015, 23:03   #61
BHPian

Re: Digital cordless phone for home use

@phamilyman - If it's purely for office conference calls I would recommend corded phone rather than a cordless one. The voice quality will be much better in a corded phone rather than a cordless one.
Old 15th September 2015, 23:27   #62
BHPian

We have a Uniden cordless with answering machine/message recording, going strong even after a decade. Only thing needed was a change of adapter for Indian current when new.
Uniden is not directly available in India, but by far is the best one can get.
Link https://www.uniden.com/telephones

Last edited by ritz3645 : 15th September 2015 at 23:30. Reason: Link added
Old 16th September 2015, 19:16   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I will sit ~20m across from the base station with a bathroom(i.e two walls) intervening in the signal. Any recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
@phamilyman - If it's purely for office conference calls I would recommend corded phone rather than a cordless one. The voice quality will be much better in a corded phone rather than a cordless one.
+1 to searacer.

phamilyman, your best bet would have been 900 MHz cordless; they had fantastic range and clarity. Due to that frequency assigned to mobiles the world over, cordless phones switched to 2.4 and 5.x GHz. These suck. Like a fool, I threw away my old 900 MHz Panasonic cordless a few years back, not realizing they stopped making them in that frequency.

Good luck finding any cordless that will work at a distance of ~ 20m with two walls in-between. I presume your conference calls are critically important; just get a phone cable hard wired to where you'll sit, and get a corded phone with good speakerphone performance and a headset jack. :(

A good electrician should be able to pull shielded telephone cable through the existing wire ducts to the room in question and install a phone jack next to the switch board already present.
Old 16th September 2015, 19:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Courtesy Airtel's terrible network and iPhone's smartness (no way to ensure 2G only)
Excuse me, what is the problem in ensuring 2G on an Iphone?

Just go to "Settings", then click on "Mobile", then click on "Voice & Data" and you should be able to choose between 3G, 2G and LTE.

Works on my Iphone 6 and 6+

Hope it works for you.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Agreed. But I am not sure if there are good electricians who will do a decent enough job of pulling the wire across. and if a cordless can do it, why do the cabling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
We have a Uniden cordless with answering machine/message recording, going strong even after a decade. Only thing needed was a change of adapter for Indian current when new.
Uniden is not directly available in India, but by far is the best one can get.
Link https://www.uniden.com/telephones
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
+1 to searacer.

phamilyman, your best bet would have been 900 MHz cordless; they had fantastic range and clarity. Due to that frequency assigned to mobiles the world over, cordless phones switched to 2.4 and 5.x GHz. These suck. Like a fool, I threw away my old 900 MHz Panasonic cordless a few years back, not realizing they stopped making them in that frequency.

Good luck finding any cordless that will work at a distance of ~ 20m with two walls in-between. I presume your conference calls are critically important; just get a phone cable hard wired to where you'll sit, and get a corded phone with good speakerphone performance and a headset jack. :(

A good electrician should be able to pull shielded telephone cable through the existing wire ducts to the room in question and install a phone jack next to the switch board already present.
*sigh* let me speak to them in this case. In the event I cannot make it happen - any other cordless phones you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Excuse me, what is the problem in ensuring 2G on an Iphone?

Just go to "Settings", then click on "Mobile", then click on "Voice & Data" and you should be able to choose between 3G, 2G and LTE.

Works on my Iphone 6 and 6+

Hope it works for you.
I only get LTE off/on - I dont have the option of Voice & Data. I'm on iOS 8.1.3
Old 17th September 2015, 09:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
*sigh* let me speak to them in this case. In the event I cannot make it happen - any other cordless phones you recommend?
Sorry, none. Our "high-end" Panasonic with one base station + 2 satellites sucks big time. Of course it's 2.4 GHz. They used to be the gold standard, now they suck as bad as anybody else.

An option is to buy another mobile with very good audio quality and get a SIM for it; forget any other features. The recent Samsung phones we've purchased have been exceptional in this regard; Samsung Galaxy Grand (one unit) and Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (two units). I have difficulty hearing low audio, and with these phones I have to turn the volume down! The clarity of speech is also very good. Get the SIM from a provider that has the best signal in your area. Overall, this may be the cheapest and most hassle free option.
Old 17th September 2015, 09:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I only get LTE off/on - I dont have the option of Voice & Data. I'm on iOS 8.1.3
Can you upgrade to 8.4.1? That should help resolve the issue.
Old 17th September 2015, 10:42   #68
BHPian

I have a Panasonic KX-TG7875 that I bought off Amazon for about 11K.

Comes with base+1 cordless handset and four additional handsets with their chargers. You can add one more handset for a total of 6.

Only the base needs to be connected to the phone line.

The phone is bluetooth capable and can call out via your mobile. Up to 2 mobiles can be paired. You can also choose to attend calls received on your your connected mobile phone using any one of the 7875's handsets.

Additionally, there is an (optional) keyfinder that you can attach to your keys to help you locate them.

Most importantly (and my single biggest reason, in addition to brand preference and bluetooth capability) the handset on the base unit can power the base (for up to 2 hours on the OE batteries) in the event of a power failure as long as it not removed from the base. This permits use of the 7875 even when there is a power failure, and other cordless phone models will simply stop working. The OE batteries supplied by Panasonic are somewhat anemic, so I have simply replaced them with Eneloop 800mAH AAA cells, ensuring longer battery backup times.

You can also charge your mobile phone from the base unit via the supplied USB cable or using your phone's USB data/charging cable in the event the micro-USB port on the provided cable does not match your mobile phone.
Conferencing, intercom and all other cordless phone features are supported.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Panasonic corded phone PQJXC0102Z paid with a wired headset RP-YCA400.
Both are 4 years old and there could be newer models now.
Old 16th May 2016, 23:03   #70
A.R
BHPian

*Reviving old thread

I'm looking to get a cordless phone for my home. Basically I have two ports on the wall:
1) Airtel intercom for my apartment
2) Airtel Broadband DSL based phone line

Now I don't want 2 phone devices, rather would like one device that can take both lines and with cordless handset option.

I've searched online but very few options and all are out of stock.

Any pointers?
Old 17th May 2016, 13:25   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
*Reviving old thread

I'm looking to get a cordless phone for my home. Basically I have two ports on the wall:
1) Airtel intercom for my apartment
2) Airtel Broadband DSL based phone line

Now I don't want 2 phone devices, rather would like one device that can take both lines and with cordless handset option.

I've searched online but very few options and all are out of stock.

Any pointers?
Forget cordless, I couldn't find any good corded dual line phones on sale, either online or offline. A few corded ones which are available online, are good for office use and cost ~5-6k. They are an overkill for home use. You can get some answering machine models that have dual receivers but again, they are pricey (~10k).
Old 1st September 2016, 10:51   #72
BHPian

Guys,

Need your guidance.

Recently got Airtel Broadband and the telephone connection going with it.

Wanted to purchase a basic cordless phone, not worried about call drops when power goes off. Its only personal calls. Looking for models without fancy base station.

Do all cordless phones come with 2.4 GHz range ? Will they interfere with the D-Link router which also broadcasts in 2.4 Ghz

Appreciate your guidance in choosing a basic cordless phone which can store upto 50 numbers.

Do they come with SIGNAL BOOST OPTIONS, believe some of panasonic models come with this choice

Awaiting your response

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 1st September 2016 at 10:52.
Old 1st September 2016, 11:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Need your guidance.
I have owned multiple Panasonic cordless phones over the years and they are the best.

Panasonic comes in two flavors, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I have this cause I live in a multi story apartment. This model, single or dual handset (I have the dual), works great.

http://www.infibeam.com/Home_Applian...ap-83289251500

I have a dual band router that is ON 24 hours. There is no signal interference at all though I see the Boost sign come on often which I believe is to compensate for signal interference more than actually Boost the signal. This model even has a interesting battery back up option and two base stations, charging units. It is very good value for money. When you loose power, place one of handsets on the cradle of the main base station and you're up. Basically; the battery in the handset powers the base station during a power outage. Very smary from Panasonic. The range and call quality is very good too.

50 number phone book is there too on the single or dual handset model.

Link to single handset
http://www.infibeam.com/Telephone/i-...TG3711BX-Black

I hope I have answered all your questions.

Do be warned that if you are ordering from the link I sent, brace yourself for a 3-4 week wait. I ordered from Infibeam only because they were the cheapest. The Support network is clueless about the status of your order till it is shipped.
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:32   #74
BHPian

I'm using Gigaset A490 cordless landline phone since Jan 2016 and it's working fine for me.
Old 26th September 2016, 17:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I'm using Gigaset A490 cordless landline phone since Jan 2016 and it's working fine for me.
Is it on 2.4GHz frequency? If so, does it interfere with your wi-fi router?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks