Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Digital cordless phone for home use

Hello experts,
I am looking to buy a digital cordless phone for my home use.

Looks like Panasonic is leading brand in this area, but I could not find many reviews on the net. Not in T-BHP also.

Main purpose is to attend office conference calls from home. Everyday from 1 to 3 hours use. So speaker phone and microphone clarity is very much important.

Here are other criteria

1. Caller ID display
2. Loud and clear speaker phone
3. Dial pad on both base unit and headset
4. 2 Lines operation (can I use Airtel and BSNL landline on same phone?)
5. Memory for call logging
6. Battery backup for base unit also. My call should not be disconnected if power goes

My budget is up to 5000/-, flexible though.

What other things are important when I look out for cordless?

Can someone suggest me the best brand and model available out there

Thanks in advance
Old 6th December 2008, 18:26   #2
BHPian

If your aim is to attend conf calls from home, you dont need a cordless phone. You need a phone with speaker phone and mute button.
Panasonic cordless phones are good, but do remember that they require electricity to run. With frequent power cuts, I dont think youwould want to drop of the call midway.

IMO, buy a good panasonic corded phone.

P.S: Dont buy a cordless phone from US. They run on 110V and are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
They get damaged easily and are not repaired by panasonic service centers in India(personal experience).

Regards,
Old 6th December 2008, 18:33   #3
BHPian

Panasonic is the best in this segment.
I have seen alot of Sony phones not used after sometime due to various reason..
Old 6th December 2008, 18:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
...., but do remember that they require electricity to run. With frequent power cuts, I dont think youwould want to drop of the call midway.
If you have an UPS already, connecting it to UPS might give you some backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
P.S: Dont buy a cordless phone from US. They run on 110V and are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
They get damaged easily and are not repaired by panasonic service centers in India(personal experience).
True. Also some of them are not compatible with "our" caller ID protocols. One of the examples is Uniden.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:18   #5
BHPian

Brother you need something like this and you can order here too Electronics - Office Automation - Panasonic Corded Phone Kx-Ts3282Bx

I guess this is one of the best model as per your requirement. I won't suggest cordless as other.
Old 6th December 2008, 22:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
If you have an UPS already, connecting it to UPS might give you some backups.

True. Also some of them are not compatible with "our" caller ID protocols. One of the examples is Uniden.
I got a Panasonic KX-TGA101S Dect Cordless from US, with 2 handsets. It has call id, answer m/c Spk phone (hand free), intercom etc etc. 1st when I got it for me, the caller ID was not working here as it was set only for US. But then i found out that there was a converter by which the caller ID will work, so i bought that converter for for some 300rs and its working great.
I got the set for some 3k only and i say if you could get a set from some friend from US, would be a good option.

Last edited by tarunmadhok : 6th December 2008 at 22:42.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:02   #7
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions friends.

Conf calls are just part of the use. For conf calls, I need a crisp clear speaker phone and microphone. For other regular personal use, I would prefer cordless headset with at least 30m range.

So the phone I am looking for should have cordless headset and speaker on the base unit with battery backup.

I have an inverter at home, but I am apprehensive that call could drop during the power source switch over.

My BSNL DSL modem drops internet connection during this switch over, but Airtel modem does not. So I am not sure how a cordless phone may behave in this case.

I heard that there are cordless phones with batter backup for the base unit also.

I went to METRO today to check their collections. They did not have Panasonic with base battery backup.

Will check at Panasonic brand shop tomorrow.
Old 7th December 2008, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Which inverter do you have? If the inverter can work as UPS for a comp, then its probably unlikely that your call will drop. We have a Sukam inverter and and old Sanyo cordless... and it has never dropped a call on switchover.

But yes, my BSNL Huawei ADSL modem does reboot! :(

Btw, the Sanyo cordless does have a battery backup feature... and I tried it twice - the batts drain off VERY rapidly if used! So I never found that feature useful. Using rechargable batts might be a better idea tho... but it needs 5 or 6 pencil sized ones, which I didn't want to spend on. Dunno if current Pansonic models fare better in this regard.
Old 7th December 2008, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Which inverter do you have?
I have a local brand inverter provided by my builder.
I have both BSNL and Airtel connections. BSNL drops as modem reboots, but Airtel stays up.

I guess it will be difficult to get a demo of the cordless at the shop. So user reviews are more important for me.

I find below model meets most of my criteria, but no clue if it has got battery backup.
KX-TG2338BX | 2.4 GHz | Communications | Panasonic India

Most likely I will go with one of the Panasonic model.

I use a laptop, so separate UPS at home.
Old 7th December 2008, 11:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
I have a local brand inverter provided by my builder.
I have both BSNL and Airtel connections. BSNL drops as modem reboots, but Airtel stays up.

I guess it will be difficult to get a demo of the cordless at the shop. So user reviews are more important for me.

I find below model meets most of my criteria, but no clue if it has got battery backup.
KX-TG2338BX | 2.4 GHz | Communications | Panasonic India

Most likely I will go with one of the Panasonic model.

I use a laptop, so separate UPS at home.
2.4 GHz is way far a old model, I was useing a 5.8GHz some 1 year back and right now I am useing Dect 6.0 which is latest in US.

I again say, you should trying getiing a set from US if you can as here in india you will not get all these features.

KX-TG1032S - DECT 6.0 Phones - Shop and Compare at Panasonic
Attached Thumbnails
Digital cordless phone for home use-kxtg1032s_500.jpg  

Old 7th December 2008, 12:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunmadhok View Post
I got a Panasonic KX-TGA101S Dect Cordless from US, with 2 handsets. It has call id, answer m/c Spk phone (hand free), intercom etc etc. 1st when I got it for me, the caller ID was not working here as it was set only for US. But then i found out that there was a converter by which the caller ID will work, so i bought that converter for for some 300rs and its working great.
I got the set for some 3k only and i say if you could get a set from some friend from US, would be a good option.
Interesting! Would you please give some more information on that 'coverter'. I would also need to buy one for my Uniden. If it is available for sub 500Rs and all the cities, shouldn't matter if you buy cordless phone from US. They cast half the price of our market. Singapore also is a good shop though (Other than Mustafa?)

Corded phones discussed previously in this thread are mostly for office use with multiple phone lines. Without multiple phone lines, they will be rendered as any other household phones.
Old 7th December 2008, 16:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

This converter is called DTMF->FSK converter (for FSK->DTMF, not sure).

I use Panasonic cordless that I got from US, called ID works after adding this converter.
Old 7th December 2008, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

About the Battery

One thing people forget with these phones is good recharging habits. The battery is generally an Ni-cd or an Ni-mh one. People leave it on the cradle unnecessarily. This kills the battery in no time. People should put it on the cradle ONLY for charging - and REMOVE the phone only once fully charged. Care should also be taken NOT to overcharge it. Else memory effect will kick in and the battery will soon be useless!
Old 7th December 2008, 17:30   #14
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
About the Battery
One thing people forget with these phones is good recharging habits. ... ...useless!
Yes, you are right. And it has been a tough job to explain this to many people.

I have used one Sanyo (don't remember the model exactly - seems some XT-TC1185BXB, but not sure) about 4~5 years before. It had independent base unit with phone book, alarm, speaker phone etc and 4 cordless unit again with independent phone book, etc. The main advantage was intercom, and call transfer between phones etc. The main disadvantage was that the cordless units didn't have speaker phone and no battery back up (we used the computer UPS). The sound quality was although not excellent but was still very good. It seems that this is matching with your requirements. It had some DATA port also but never used it. Analong or Digital, I don't know.

The product was made in India and hence guaranteed only in India.
Old 7th December 2008, 19:42   #15
BHPian

To those who are using the phones bought in US,

Do you use a step down transformer or does the phone support 110-220V?

I too can get it from from US, may be in Jan. Since many of you suggested to bring it from US, I need to figure out what our surprises are expected in terms to compatibility in India

What advanced features I should be looking for in addition to the expectations I already have?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks