Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:50   #556
BHPian

Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thanks, just the answer I was looking for. What is the speed you get...
While waiting for the postpaid sim to be enabled (Im told it would take upto 10days since they need to do a verification before its enabled), I got a pre-paid sim from BSNL. At Navalur (Chennai ) I get 0.06 Mbps, and at Anna Nagar I get 0.6 Mbps.

Let me see how airtel fares against this, should be up and running hopefully next week.
Old 27th January 2013, 17:43   #557
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I finally dumped my GPRS connection yesterday and subscribed to Airtel 3 G prepaid for Rs 250 per month / 1 GB.
I don't really know if I am getting 3 G speeds now, as I see only an 'H' symbol on the phone, as earlier. I don't see '3G' symbol at all.
Perhaps there are additional settings to carry out. Can anyone guide me?
Old 27th January 2013, 17:59   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
I finally dumped my GPRS connection yesterday and subscribed to Airtel 3 G prepaid for Rs 250 per month / 1 GB.
I don't really know if I am getting 3 G speeds now, as I see only an 'H' symbol on the phone, as earlier. I don't see '3G' symbol at all.
The H stands for HSDPA, an enhanced 3G technology in the HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) family. It is also known as 3.5G or 3G+.
Old 27th January 2013, 19:43   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys
What handset are you using?
If on Android or iOS then download an app from speediest.net it will show what kind of speed you are experiencing. If you are not getting the right speed, call Airtel and they will help you configure the 3G setup. All the best!
Old 27th January 2013, 22:43   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I don't know about adjustment, but for 3g, start with the 250bucks 1GB plan.
I've found it to be okay for moderately intensive usage.
Any idea of how they charge for data while roaming when on a 3G plan ? (On my GPRS plan with airtel, the plan covers data usage anywhere in India, so there are no extra charges when I use it in Kerala. But I haven't been able to get a firm answer on whether they follow the same policy for 3G also from any of the airtel sales guys who tried to convince me to switch to 3G).
Old 27th January 2013, 22:48   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Any idea of how they charge for data while roaming when on a 3G plan ? (On my GPRS plan with airtel, the plan covers data usage anywhere in India, so there are no extra charges when I use it in Kerala. But I haven't been able to get a firm answer on whether they follow the same policy for 3G also from any of the airtel sales guys who tried to convince me to switch to 3G).
The data pack is valid in national roaming.You won't be charged extra. Recently i was in Kerala and wasn't charged extra, was on airtel network all the time.
I have heard that one is charged extra for data if roaming on a different network.Not sure though.
Old 27th January 2013, 23:12   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post

Reliance does not charge extra. Mostly none of the operators charge as data unless you start using someone else's network meaning on Airtel you start using Docomo. But mostly the alliance takes care if such issues or like Reliance you get to enjoy GPRS speeds in areas you roam if not in metros.
Old 9th April 2013, 11:33   #563
BHPian

Hi Team BHPians, I am using Idea prepaid mobile connection. Can you list down other good 3G providers in Hyderabad. I am fine with Idea 3G speed but I am not happy with their other services (sms dont reach on time, poor signal quality in Motinagar, No ISD pack to US etc). I am planning to switch to other service provider based on 3G speeds.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:09   #564
BHPian

I have an airtel 3G connection for the past 3 months but the speed is terrible.
I wonder whether that is all the speed we get on 3G or I am having some problem.
The connection says E at all the time, even with full coverage or less. It never says H.
I own a Galaxy Note II. The airtel people say that speed depends on where you are so we cant help.
Here is a screenshot of the speed test done. Is all ok?
Attached Thumbnails
Atlast! 3G in India-20130405161505.png  

Old 9th April 2013, 15:28   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I wonder whether that is all the speed we get on 3G or I am having some problem.
The connection says E at all the time, even with full coverage or less. It never says H.
I own a Galaxy Note II. The airtel people say that speed depends on where you are so we cant help.
That speed is ok for the signal shown.
tell me, have you switched over to WCDMA preferred in your network settings?

Last edited by mayankk : 9th April 2013 at 15:53.
Old 9th April 2013, 18:24   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
You are on 2G here actually (or EDGE to be more accurate). It is not 3G.

As mayankk said, maybe you need to switch to WCDMA preferred in your network settings. One way to do would be to dial *#*#4636#*#* and then in Phone Information select WCDMA preferred from drop down menu (there might be a simpler way to do this in Note2 but this generally works for all androids)
Old 9th April 2013, 23:30   #567
BHPian

Can someone point out the best 3G plans on prepaid in Mumbai now. I am currently on Airtel's 4GB for Rs. 500 with 90 days usage period. I heard that Idea also has a similar plan, but its bundled with a phone and is not sold separately.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:35   #568
Senior - BHPian

Speeds i am getting on Ipad 4, almost similar speeds on Vodaphone and Idea 3G. Have not tried any other sim.

Atlast! 3G in India-img0024.jpeg
Old 10th April 2013, 16:13   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
That speed is ok for the signal shown.
tell me, have you switched over to WCDMA preferred in your network settings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You are on 2G here actually (or EDGE to be more accurate). It is not 3G.
Thanks to you both. I had long back fiddled with the settings and made GSM only thinking WCDMA has got to do with some non sim related network.

Anyways just after I selected GSM and WCDMA (Auto), I started seeing 3G,G,H, and H+ instead of the boring E.
The signal speed also has increased.
Great.
Thanks mates.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:07   #570
BHPian

Need help on Nokia 7230 3G

Can anyone please help me with airtel 3G settings on Nokia 7230 ? I recently migrated to 3G.

Sent an SMS 3G to 121 and the reply tells me that 3G is already active on my phone

Sent SMS MO to 54321 to get Mobile office settings and accepted the same.

Still not able to connect to 3G through my laptop.

Do i need to check any settings on the phone

Haven't charged the phone for 3G packet data, wanted to make sure it works before topup. Its pre-paid in bangalore

Waiting for your inputs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks