Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 10:54   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Surprise! I am getting 3G in my Airtel prepaid, which has only the 98 Rs mobile office plan! I checked few times whether the balance is reducing, and it is not! Hurray!!!

(I had 3G disabled for the past few months in my phone... I just enabled it just to check.. I should have done that earlier!)
i'd like to see the expression on your face when Airtel sends you a big fat bill. i know you said pre-paid, but hey - this is India
Old 1st June 2012, 10:56   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i'd like to see the expression on your face when Airtel sends you a big fat bill. i know you said pre-paid, but hey - this is India
Ha ha.. I know this hack already is working in BSNL prepaids here. (i.e., Ask for EDGE with a 2GB limited plan, select 3G in your phone and enjoy) But now it started working in Airtel too.

BTW, download speeds are not that great, it is like 20 k Bytes/sec, but upload speeds are awesome - 180 k Bytes/sec. May be this is intentional, and they have put a bandwidth cap on the download.

I am checking my balance every minute No, it is not reducing!

Last edited by clevermax : 1st June 2012 at 10:58.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:13   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha.. I know this hack already is working in BSNL prepaids here. (i.e., Ask for EDGE with a 2GB limited plan, select 3G in your phone and enjoy) But now it started working in Airtel too.

BTW, download speeds are not that great, it is like 20 k Bytes/sec, but upload speeds are awesome - 180 k Bytes/sec. May be this is intentional, and they have put a bandwidth cap on the download.

I am checking my balance every minute No, it is not reducing!
in Bangalore, Airtel has reduced the 2GB for 98/- to 1GB for 98/-. went back to 3G because i couldn't stand the slow browsing speed
Old 1st June 2012, 11:27   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK

in Bangalore, Airtel has reduced the 2GB for 98/- to 1GB for 98/-. went back to 3G because i couldn't stand the slow browsing speed
Here in Kerala also, 2gb has been reduced to 1gb. That's ok because my data usage never goes beyond that in mobile.
Old 1st June 2012, 11:29   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Surprise! I am getting 3G in my Airtel prepaid, which has only the 98 Rs mobile office plan! I checked few times whether the balance is reducing, and it is not! Hurray!!!

(I had 3G disabled for the past few months in my phone... I just enabled it just to check.. I should have done that earlier!)
Actually if you set the phone to WCDMA ONLY on an edge plan you get MUCH better speeds than traditional EDGE
Old 1st June 2012, 11:40   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Actually if you set the phone to WCDMA ONLY on an edge plan you get MUCH better speeds than traditional EDGE
I have never seen an option to set something like that. In my phone, what I did was to simply uncheck the "Use only 2G netwroks" option, then the network got reset, and "H" appeared instead of "E".

I think they intentionally did this to enhance the speed of Edge Mobile office users, as I am not getting download speeds greater than 25kB/s or so. Upload speeds are in the range of 180kB/s though.

Recently Airtel blocked torrent sites and and they must be having surplus bandwidth in their hands now due to reduction in torrent traffic... May be this is a bonus due to that
Old 1st June 2012, 12:59   #457
BHPian

Quote:
I have never seen an option to set something like that.
Dial *#*#4636#*#*
phone information >set preferred network type>WCDMA only

This latches you to the 3G network, as you have subscribed to a EDGE data pack it will restrict the download to EDGE speed(256kbps).But unlike 2g it actually sticks to that speed

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 1st June 2012 at 13:02.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:30   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This latches you to the 3G network, as you have subscribed to a EDGE data pack it will restrict the download to EDGE speed(256kbps).But unlike 2g it actually sticks to that speed
This is not true Bluengel. On 2G (EDGE is still part of 2G though its also called 2.5G) your network resources are time shared (with dedicated allocation to individual users) but this sharing is dependent on network load and is totally determined by the Network. Mobile has very limited role, in that it just tells the network how much data it can handle by virtue of its mobile class (you might have seen MS Class 10 or 12 or 33 also these days) and also how good the signal it can receive. If there are too many users around then NW will keep distributing resources to each and you'll not have dedicated high speeds. 3G works a bit differently although in 3G case also too many users can choke the Network.

If 3G is not enabled in your registered services by the Network then no way can you get 3G speeds just by what you are suggesting.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:38   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If 3G is not enabled in your registered services by the Network then no way can you get 3G speeds just by what you are suggesting.

256kbps is not 3G speeds.if you are in a 3G network with an EDGE data pack the download speed is throttled down to EDGE speed (256 kbps)

When you select the WCDMA ONLY option your phone is locked on and only operated on the 3G network (which handles data better than 2g).hence you get much better speeds while using your EDGE pack in comparison with a 2G/2.5G network.

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 1st June 2012 at 13:39.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:43   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
256kbps is not 3G speeds.if you are in a 3G network with an EDGE data pack the download speed is throttled down to EDGE speed (256 kbps)

When you select the WCDMA ONLY option your phone is locked on and only operated on the 3G network (which handles data better than 2g).hence you get much better speeds while using your EDGE pack in comparison with a 2G/2.5G network.
Well 3G speeds start from 64kpbs Though it cannot be called 3G nowdays, but from spec perspective it is still there.

I have done speed tests on my mobile (using speedtest app.) I was earlier on 2G only (1GB/98Rs plan on Airtel). On setting NW to 2G, I would get speeds around 170 kbps (so about 22 KBps). On setting NW to 3G the speeds I would get were 44-50 kbps only!!! So my mobile on 3G was never as fast as it was on 2G!!!
Old 1st June 2012, 13:48   #461
BHPian

Quote:
So my mobile on 3G was never as fast as it was on 2G!!!
Depends on the network. 3G is still bad on coverage. Here we have good 3G coverage and a VERY congested 2G network,the 2G speed is never more that 5-6 KBPS at any given time. so everyone switches to the 3G network .
Old 1st June 2012, 14:26   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well 3G speeds start from 64kpbs Though it cannot be called 3G nowdays, but from spec perspective it is still there.
So my mobile on 3G was never as fast as it was on 2G!!!
Quote:
Depends on the network.
We have pretty decent 3G coverage on vodafone here in PUNE.

3G is anyday faster than 2G, no two ways about it.

I get a minimum of 2Mbps.
Will post a screenshot of the speed test from my office, I have full network there.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:28   #463
BHPian

I have a question on 3G service of Vodafone in Bangalore.
Officially, Vodafone does not have a 3G license in Bangalore but from the news reports I could gather that they use Airtel network to provide 3G service. My question is, if I buy a Vodafone sim card and activate 3G then it would use Airtel network to offer 3G service, but what happens to my voice calls? Will they be routed through Airtel network only when I am HSPA mode? If yes, then what about the charges like home network / roaming? And what happens to incoming calls? As far as I know, you can log into either 3G or 2G network at one point in time from one handset.

Answers from any first hand users would be appreciated. BTW, which is a better 3G provider in Bangalore?
Old 1st June 2012, 14:34   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have a question on 3G service of Vodafone in Bangalore.
Officially, Vodafone does not have a 3G license in Bangalore but from the news reports I could gather that they use Airtel network to provide 3G service.
============
Answers from any first hand users would be appreciated. BTW, which is a better 3G provider in Bangalore?
Yes data will be through Airtel but for a user it will not make a difference coz its all managed well by Voda-Airtel and the softwares. Voice will continue with Vodafone.

Airtel has the best coverage and stable performance right now.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:48   #465
Senior - BHPian

I have Airtel Mobile Office - which allows me unlimited browsing on Edge for 99 bucks. I think Airtel no longer has this scheme but I have continued using it for years now. I am thinking of moving to 3G. Hows the schemes working out these days? Got a message from Airtel some days back saying they have slashed the rates for 3G by upto 70% or so. I use Twitter and FB regularly and use GMail on phone too. Not sure how much data these eat up.

Any suggestions? Not sure Airtel will allow me to go back to the Mobile Office scheme if I want to come back from 3G.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks