Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2009, 19:48   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
You WANT cubes fine. go to polk audio and get yourself cubes. they are the usual microscopic by the usual standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know Polk... but this could be a a really good suggestion. It least it increases the choice on miniature speakers.
Ok, so I think I'll check Polk out. No harm in seeing, like Thad said, atleast it increases the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Going back to the original subject of this thread.
Mavneet, you need to check these from Onkyo - I loved the sound.

In my opinion, Onkyo is really value for money.
Actually, it's too much VFM, I'd like to have some snob value as well. Plus somehow, I don't like the name Onkyo. I mean, nothing wrong in it and I know I sound foolish, but it's just a thing I have with some brands, I don't like the sound of their name. Like Provogue shirts. Eeks!

Ok, I'm heading to Saket now with my iPod, will audition Bose and whatever else they have in that Mall.

Will update this thread at night, discuss with you guys, google shoogle, and hope to be a wiser man by tomorrow. Big day cioming up.

Thanks folks.
Old 14th February 2009, 00:47   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Shopping in London, one uses the internet a lot. My method was to find sites that had shops too. The shops usually have higher price tags, but match their own on-line prices when you stick the printout in front of their noses. It takes time browsing, checking availability/price, and visiting places. Shopping by remote person is hard on both parties, with possibly several outlets to visit, and on-the-spot decisions to be made (Sorry, we just sold the last 18-3C-ABC, Would a DEF do, it's pretty much the same apart from the three features you actually wanted...).

The places that sit you in leather chair, swap demo kit around, and make you tea, are almost inevitably more expensive. Not always: both my speakers and my amp came from a London shop where a person could spend crores. Ex-demo kit, slight imperfections if you look hard --- thirty to fifty percent off. Nice deals . I think it is hard to find like that here, where, if you point out that cloth is dirty and ask for a discount, they tell you to wash it!

Richer is good, although they have a more limited range than they used to, and have really gone in for TV and Cinema and stuff. They used to sell a wide variety including out-of-date models, stuff from bankrupt dealers, etc: you could just as likely find an obscure valve amp there as a Sony standard! I bought quite a few things there.

John Lewis is like the fully-flexible air ticket: no-quibble refunds if you realise you made a big mistake, extra warranty, etc etc --- but even their reduced-to-sell pile will be quite pricey.

Manveet... have fun buying, and enjoy what you end up with. Don't break your head over it, and for god's sake don't start reading hifi mags: they just cause dissatisfaction!

I'm doing music stuff (not to mention Valentine's day ) tomorrow, and, honestly, I've told you all I know; current models and prices I do not know, so I'll give you my best wishes for a fun day, rather than my phone number.

Enjoy
Old 14th February 2009, 01:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

I visited A2V at Select City Walk - they sell Rotel, B&W and a few other Brands that I don't recollect. Since I reached quite late at about 8:30pm so got a limited Demo. Also, they couldn't connect my iPod and didn't have the SW I wanted in stock.

I have asked for the following Demo tomorrow.

Option 1: (to be tried in various permutation combinations)
Speakers : B&W M1 Lifestyle and 686
Sub : B&W ASW608 and ASW610
Amp : Rotel RA05

Option 2:
Floor Speakers: B&W 684
Amp : Rotel RA06

They played the B&W700 with the RA05 and B&W686. I was unimpressed by the Base, and they couldn't turn it up as the RA05 is inadequate to drive the ASW700.

The guy said that he can offer 6-7% discount and his Manager can offer more, so I am just mentioning the MRP excluding VAT.

B&W M1 Lifestyle: 30k
B&W 686 : 33k

Rotel RA05 : 45k

ASW608 : 36k
ASW610 : 50k

Since I want a basic source, only with CD and not DVD, they had OPO at 26k
They did not have Onkyo CD, but had the Onkyo DVD for 48k !!

I am thinking that if I am only going to play CD's and iPod and not connect a DVD/TV, how important is the source considering I am getting a good Amp, etc. Shouldn't a budget of 10k be enough for a decent Source?

Last edited by manveet : 14th February 2009 at 01:56.
Old 14th February 2009, 02:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
They played the B&W700 with the RA05 and B&W686. I was unimpressed by the Base, and they couldn't turn it up as the RA05 is inadequate to drive the ASW700.
The ASW700 is a active subwoofer the RA05 has no role in it performance. Try a bigger sub woofer or a little different placement of the same might help.
Old 14th February 2009, 03:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Richer is good, although they have a more limited range than they used to, and have really gone in for TV and Cinema and stuff. They used to sell a wide variety including out-of-date models, stuff from bankrupt dealers, etc: you could just as likely find an obscure valve amp there as a Sony standard! I bought quite a few things there.

John Lewis is like the fully-flexible air ticket: no-quibble refunds if you realise you made a big mistake, extra warranty, etc etc --- but even their reduced-to-sell pile will be quite pricey.
Yes John Lewis is excellent for a lot of things and the best thing is that they will price match other bricks and mortar stores so you get goods at low prices and extra warranty for free (2 years on most AV stuff and 5 years on any television). They used to price match internet stores not too long ago but scrapped the policy as they were having to sell things for silly prices.

The Denon DM37 mini system looks nice at Richer for £175. Its not even that big and would make a nice little all in one for the bedroom.
Quote:
Actually, it's too much VFM, I'd like to have some snob value as well. Plus somehow, I don't like the name Onkyo. I mean, nothing wrong in it and I know I sound foolish, but it's just a thing I have with some brands, I don't like the sound of their name. Like Provogue shirts. Eeks!
I know what you mean, Onkyo were hardly setting the world on fire with their products. I remember 7/8 years ago that most the amps etc they would send for magazine tests would break down during tests. Hardly inspires anyone to buy an Onkyo when they can't even send a decent amp out for a mag test.

Manveet,

Don't skimp on your source. You are spending decent money on the rest of your setup so please try and match with a decent source. If it is possible get your mum to pick you up the CD player in London. You should be able to get something decent for £140 (RS 10,000)

Last edited by bigman : 14th February 2009 at 03:16.
Old 14th February 2009, 09:52   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
The ASW700 is a active subwoofer the RA05 has no role in it performance. Try a bigger sub woofer or a little different placement of the same might help.
They only played the ASW700 because they were short on time to connect the 608 and 610. The 700 is out of budget as its MRP is 1,09,000/- (VAT extra)
Old 14th February 2009, 09:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Manveet,

Don't skimp on your source. You are spending decent money on the rest of your setup so please try and match with a decent source. If it is possible get your mum to pick you up the CD player in London. You should be able to get something decent for £140 (RS 10,000)
Actually, its not a matter of skimping, but rather paying for what is needed and not paying for what isn't. For e.g., most Sources being sold today include DVD, HDMI, etc. As per the Sales guy, it is these features (amongst other things) that shoots up the price. Since I am NOT going to be connecting a TV and would only listen to CD's and iPod, why should I pay extra for all that, might as well buy a plain jane CD player of high quality.

Specifically, my question is this - for my usage (CD and iPod), how important is the source?

I would like to have a HQ source but at the same time not pay an exponentially higher price for a marginally better quality - AFAIK this is what happens most of the time in the world of Audiophiles and crazy ICE installs that throws budget out of the roof.

Last edited by manveet : 14th February 2009 at 10:01.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:22   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Specifically, my question is this - for my usage (CD and iPod), how important is the source?

Manveet, any CD player will do the job you are looking for. Before spending extraordinary amounts on an 'exotic' source it is worth checking the quality of the recordings themselves! Most of the music we listen to does not need these esoteric paper specifications which have little relevance to what we hear and perceive!
Old 14th February 2009, 11:28   #99
BHPian

Dude anything with a 24 bit dac will suffice. for your pod get a good digital interconnect so you can by pass the headphone out. like maybe the yeis stand or the harmonkardon connectors.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:35   #100
BHPian

HAve you decided on AMps and speakes as yet?
Old 14th February 2009, 13:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
HAve you decided on AMps and speakes as yet?
This is what A2V has, fits my Budget and I will be auditioning in the evening..

Speakers : B&W 686 or M1
Amp : Rotel RA05
Sub: B&W ASW 608 or 610

Query >

Is there a difference between the RA04 and RA05?

In the pricelist they have given me, it says ..
- RA04 is 40Wx2
- RA05 is 40Wx2 with remote

But those guys don't have RA04 in stock (will have to be ordered from Mumbai) and are giving me lame excuses that its quality will be lower than RA05 (although it is same power rating) and then that it has been discontinued (clearly a lie as it in the latest pricesheet)

I am leaving for CR Park (JBL) and Khan Market to see more stuff, got late as had a brief meeting in Office.

Last edited by manveet : 14th February 2009 at 13:51.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:37   #102
BHPian

Marantz,Cambridge Audio are better buys that Rotel . What you can do is auditin both. B&W are also quite bright. Be warned. But please audition this also as you will know what is avaialbe in market.
If you like these speakers, Get a marantz /cambridge to go with them.
Cambridge people sell Mordaunt short-- those are terrible. So dont judge that Cambridge is bad due to the fact that the Mordaunt shrt speakers will be played when you demo CA there.

If you have to have a sub you could just buy a Velodyne. Nuthing will beat them. A tad expensive but worth every penny.-- Sunny ( based in CR park also ) who also represents Krell and Tannoy also deals in Velodyne. Unfortunately he does not have a showrom. He is just a distributor. But he might arrange a home demo on request. But first you have to have a amp/CDP/speaker at home. P.S you could also consider Tannoy. The Tannoy F1 custom standmounts ( 15k a paiir only) are incredible. Paired with a Velodyne they will rock teh house.

Confused more ??? lol.. Audio is gut renching I know.But Enjoy

Last edited by sk456 : 14th February 2009 at 18:50.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Have kind of liked the following setup:

Speakers:

Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2
Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2

Amplifier:
Cambridge Audio Azur 640AV2
Cambridge Audio

Sunwoofer:

Mordaunt-Short 309i (175RMS)Premiere 309W subwoofer / Premiere / Products / Mordaunt Short

Source
Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD Player
Cambridge Audio

Edit: Just saw your post sk456, now I am really confused.

Last edited by manveet : 14th February 2009 at 19:57.
Old 14th February 2009, 19:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

So SK, you are basically suggesting the following .. is this right?

Cambridge Audio CD Player
Cambridge Audio Amplifier
Velodyne SubWoofer
Tannoy F1 Speakers
Old 14th February 2009, 20:05   #105
Team-BHP Support

Well I don't understand all these but my sincere suggestion is this: Quickly go and buy them. Get them fixed. Enjoy.

Key for any audio setup is this: If you're happy then be done with it.

There are loads of audio gurus here and they'll be really unhappy though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks