Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 09:59   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Well, thank you guys for contributing to this thread and teaching me so much about audio (esp. Home Theater versus HiFi).

The main reason for not going ahead with the HiFi that we almost finalized last month (refer few posts back) was that
Mum and Dad wanted something small and stylish that would blend into the background; Although we were quite OK with bookshelf speakers, there just wasn't any place to put the Amplifier & CD Player without buying a separate rack.

Sorry to disappoint you Audiophiles out there, but we've gone ahead and bought Bose after-all.

This is a linky to the product:

BOSE INDIA

Haven't installed it yet, will share a review when done.
Manveet ... and another Et tu brutus
Old 19th May 2009, 10:03   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Damn.... had you posted this, we'd have moved you to the arcam direction. This is what you should have got alongwith bookshelves.

Find out more about the FMJ and Solo product ranges
damn why didnt i think of this . I just myself bought a CA 340 Se/ 340 c plus wharfedale combo and the folks are jsut pretending to like it as it is an eyesore to them as well.
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:04   #123
Senior - BHPian

Now I need a HiFi for the Bedroom

I now need a HiFi for my Bedroom and so here I am once again, looking for advice from the experts. I'm bumping this thread up - don't want to start a new one.

So my answer to the first question that the guys over at the ICE section love to ask - Budget will be 30-40k. MAYBE a stretch to 50k.

Basic need is for an amplifier, 2 speakers, and a subwoofer. Unlike last time, speaker size is not a constraint. The room is pretty big so I'm looking for reasonable mid and low-end bass, but yes - preference remains towards SQL.

Music will be played via the iPod or maybe a Laptop at most, so I don't want to waste money on jazzy Source equipment.

What do you folk suggest this time?

@ Mods:

Please rename this thread to Advice Needed for Drawing Room Stereo: Harman/Kardon and Infinity vs. Bose. Edit: Bought Bose; Now deciding on HiFi for the Bedroom

Last edited by manveet : 23rd September 2009 at 19:06.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

Manveet, welcome back!
What makes you start the whole exercise again?
Not quite what you were looking for, the Bose system you bought?!

Having used the 901 Series III for nearly a decade I went in for the Series VI, which I use still, which makes it two decades.
Along with the 901 Series VI, I bought the AM5 system as an additional system for the living room.

Very keen to know what makes you look for something different now.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:23   #125
Senior - BHPian

Don't go sub-sat (or bookshelf) unless you want to go real loud. A good pair of towers (25k) + a good stereo receiver (20k) should do the trick.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:56   #126
BHPian

I cant believe I read through 9 pages of this thread to hear that the original poster went out and bought a Bose system! I felt like throwing my computer against the wall but then again it might scratch my Arcam A70 amp or CD73 player, or poke a hole in one of the cones of my Jamo Classic 10 floorstanders!

and yes, I spent 10% of my budget on interconnects and speaker cable!

Seriously Manveet, dont bother doing research or asking for informed opinions. Buy whatever looks good to you, and dont ever buy any eardrops or earbuds or else you might just realize how much money you just wasted!
theEnd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Manveet, welcome back!
What makes you start the whole exercise again?
Not quite what you were looking for, the Bose system you bought?!

Having used the 901 Series III for nearly a decade I went in for the Series VI, which I use still, which makes it two decades.
Along with the 901 Series VI, I bought the AM5 system as an additional system for the living room.

Very keen to know what makes you look for something different now.
In fact, we're quite satisfied with the Bose. It looks good in the drawing room, nice and discreet.

This time around I want something for my weekend room. It's a separate room I've got on the second floor of my house, which I typically use on weekends when I call friends over and things tend to get loud and messy.

And unlike the last time, size and space is not a constraint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Don't go sub-sat (or bookshelf) unless you want to go real loud. A good pair of towers (25k) + a good stereo receiver (20k) should do the trick.
I'd like very much to go real loud, so whats your suggestion in the under 40k range (including cabling, connectors, etc.)?

And music will be mostly played via the iPod (even if it means a marginal loss in quality) so if there is a way to directly connect the iPod to the Amplifier - would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
I cant believe I read through 9 pages of this thread to hear that the original poster went out and bought a Bose system! I felt like throwing my computer against the wall but then again it might scratch my Arcam A70 amp or CD73 player, or poke a hole in one of the cones of my Jamo Classic 10 floorstanders!

and yes, I spent 10% of my budget on interconnects and speaker cable!

Seriously Manveet, dont bother doing research or asking for informed opinions. Buy whatever looks good to you, and dont ever buy any eardrops or earbuds or else you might just realize how much money you just wasted!
I really didn't get the point of your post except that maybe you've got some real fancy audio equipment and you wanted to share that info with all of us here

Cheers!

Last edited by manveet : 23rd September 2009 at 23:25.
Old 24th September 2009, 21:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

Am contemplating the Harman/Kardon HS250.

harman/kardon

Seems a good buy, but at 55k, it's slightly over my budget.

I auditioned the product with the iPod Dock that comes along with it, a major disadvantage is the pain in browsing the iPod via the H/K remote. And what was surprising to me is that connecting the dock disables the option of directly changing tracks via iPod controls, so no way around that it seems.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:14   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
..... so no way around that it seems.
Feed the headphones output to the HK via a cable?
Old 25th September 2009, 11:06   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Feed the headphones output to the HK via a cable?
Yes, that is an option .. but at the cost of making the dock redundant and losing out on sound quality. If I am to use the headphone jack, will most likely be using a Laptop as source.

I was thinking in terms of a software upgrade to the system, or some hidden features that need to be unlocked? ..

Will most likely be going ahead with the purchase tomorrow. Any last minute suggestions as to what I can audition within the 55k bracket.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

How is ELAC coupled with Onkyo? One of my friends is highly recommending it.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

Update: Bought the Harman/Kardon HS250 today.

There was a manufacturing defect in the Source - it wasn't reading CD's, so they sent the Demo piece over as replacement till the time a new piece comes over from their Warehouse in Mumbai.
Old 4th February 2012, 17:04   #133
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed for Drawing Room Stereo: Harman/Kardon and Infinity vs. Bose

I guess the thread starter has made his decision.Since I did not want to start a new thread,I am seeking advice in this thread.
I was looking for an ipod dock,but found that in the same price I can get a philips DCD 132/98. It can play DVD,CD,MP3 ,has a USB,Ipod dock and lastly an FM. And costs 8-9k . So has anyone heard this? It is unavailable in my city. So have to procure online or ask someone to get.
http://www.philips.co.in/c/audio-sys...-dcd132_98/prd

Last edited by inder : 4th February 2012 at 17:06.
Old 5th February 2012, 05:41   #134
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed for Drawing Room Stereo: Harman/Kardon and Infinity vs. Bose

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I guess the thread starter has made his decision.Since I did not want to start a new thread,I am seeking advice in this thread.
I was looking for an ipod dock,but found that in the same price I can get a philips DCD 132/98. It can play DVD,CD,MP3 ,has a USB,Ipod dock and lastly an FM. And costs 8-9k . So has anyone heard this? It is unavailable in my city. So have to procure online or ask someone to get.
Philips - Classic DVD micro system Dock for iPod/iPhone 20W - DCD132/98 - Micro systems - Home audio - Sound and vision
That is a very good option. I was looking for a mini hifi for my parents and bought them a Sony Model CMT-EH25 : Micro Hi-Fi System : Hi-Fi System : Sony India

This is a great thread and would like to get some suggestions on rear speakers for a mix and match home theater. A decently powered music system (HCD - VX8) does duty for stereo music listening, TV's audio system and Front channels of a home theater. I need a pair of rear speakers to complete the home theater. What options do I have?

HCD-VX8:

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
Advice Needed for Drawing Room Stereo: Harman/Kardon and Infinity vs. Bose-s5001834sp1.jpg  

Last edited by mashmash : 5th February 2012 at 05:54.
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:50   #135
BHPian

Advice Needed for Drawing Room HT + Music System

Dear Audiophiles

I have been thinking of buying a decent music system and a Home Theater for the past few months. All of the electronic retailers stock mostly home theaters. Their lack of any knowledge and disinterest in selling their products kept me on the back foot. Nevertheless, I got an opportunity to visit a store on MG Road (Pune). It has 3 sophisticated demo rooms and 1 mini theater and their sales person is extremely knowledgeable. I had an hour long discussion with him and then re-adjusted my requirement. I am now looking for a Music System (stereo) that can also do a good job with movies.

Now, just like a lot of uninformed newbies I was smitten by the aura of BOSE. I think it was because of their marketing, availability of showrooms, well-trained staff and the aesthetic product designs. I was taken aback by their Cinemate SR-1 soundbar costing 1.2 Lakh. However, it was only after reading this particular thread on Tbhp I started to understand how I should analyze my requirements and look to build a system.

So here are my requirements:

1> A decent sound quality Home Theater that will play movies without me complaining about lack of effects; but it should play songs flawlessly.
2> I am not looking to shatter the windows and crockery at my home. What I want is a very nice quality sound especially the vocals, the strings and the bass. Thumping is not needed; I can buy a RE Bullet for that
3> I will build a 5.1 system eventually. Right now I am looking for a 2.1 system + subwoofer.
4> My Budget: Around 75K.

While the MG Road store had a lot of options, the B&O, Meridian and Marantz were expensive. I then visited a store called SoundFactor at East Street, Camp, Pune. Lot of people buy and service from this store. The SP was very patient and informed. He first demoed Harmon Kardon HT, which I didnt like at all. Then after a lot of discussions he understood my requirement and then demoed Focal. Then the DALI 5.1 Zensor Series 1 HT system along with Yamaha rx v373 AVR/Amp. DALI was mind blowing and I am sold on it. The prices are as below.

1) DALI front speaker set (2) - INR 24,500. For now I will go ahead with these bookshelf speakers. Later when I buy their towers (55,000), I can move these bookshelf ones on the back for surrond.
2) DALI Sub - 55,000.
3) Yamaha rx v373 - 30,000. Entry level Denon AVR (dont remember exact model) is also similarly priced.

I find the speaker set price VFM. However, the subwoofer prices seem to be exorbitant. I need your advice on:
* Whether this is a good choice for my requirement.
* Are the prices rational? Or I am been taken on ride because there are not many stores in the city? I checked for the prices online and the Yamaha AVR seems to be expensive as well.
* Tell me something about the DALI
* Is it worth spending more for the Yamaha rx v473 for its network support?
* Can I get any other similar quality sub woofer at a much lower price point?
* Any other kind advice.

Note to MODS: I thought I will continue on this thread instead of starting a new one. This thread has a lot of insight. THANKS.

Most Viewed