Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2009, 12:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Acer Aspire One

Im planning to purchase an Acer Aspire One,after scanning the market in terms of price and quality.I need to know the performence of a Net Book with Intel Atom processor.
My usage of the Net book will be mainly :
- New Surfing
- Working on MS-Word,excel,PPT
- Read docs in Acrobat format
- May be listening music / Watching Photos
- No watching of DVDs/Videos,have better options for this entertainment.

My questions:
1.Does the Atom Processor support the above functions seamlessly?
2.Does the processor get heated up after 2-3 hours of continuous usage?
3.Does the system hand often?
4.Does the system support Multi Window processing ( say open 10 Windows and work simultaneosly on PPTs,word Docs, net surfing etc.)

Await your comments.Thanks
Old 17th February 2009, 13:18   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
My questions:
4.Does the system support Multi Window processing ( say open 10 Windows and work simultaneosly on PPTs,word Docs, net surfing etc.)

I have a Acer Inspire One laptop, and I'm simply loving it. It's extremely light-weight (less than a kg), and ultra-portable. I use it for normal web-surfing, MS office, and for playing games too (not too hi-fi though). The processor is good enough to handle these kind of applications.

The battery life is not too great - lasts about 2 hours. Will suggest you to buy a 9-cell battery (if you don't mind adding some extra weight). Secondly, the speakers are bad. If you want to listen to music/watch movies, it will better if you use headphones or external speakers.

Otherwise, its an awesome VFM product.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

While others might help you with their personal experiences I would ask a major question "Did you looked at competition ??"

Have a look at Samsung NC10 !! You'll be delighted .
Old 17th February 2009, 13:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I have a Acer Inspire One laptop, and I'm simply loving it. It's extremely light-weight (less than a kg), and ultra-portable. I use it for normal web-surfing, MS office, and for playing games too (not too hi-fi though). The processor is good enough to handle these kind of applications.

The battery life is not too great - lasts about 2 hours. Will suggest you to buy a 9-cell battery (if you don't mind adding some extra weight). Secondly, the speakers are bad. If you want to listen to music/watch movies, it will better if you use headphones or external speakers.

Otherwise, its an awesome VFM product.
Agreed. I own one too and it is good. Not tried watching movies though.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

size of keys/keyboard

Check your comfort level with keypad as keys tend to be small on net books and not everyone will be comfortable using small sized keys/keyboard.

Brands: Also have a look at Net books from other brands like HP, Dell.
Old 17th February 2009, 13:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Check your comfort level with keypad as keys tend to be small on net books and not everyone will be comfortable using small sized keys/keyboard.
Inspire One has a touchpad with buttons on the side (instead of bottom). So, it takes some time getting used to it. HP also has a similar touchpad.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this is the 9 point something inch screen size you are talking about costing 16odd thousand bucks end-user price. Right? If so, this is my review: We bought 12 for our sales staff at a very good corporate rate a few months back. Initial impression was WOW. But there are a few downsides, screen too small if you want to work on excel and show ppts to groups of people. Also battery life is an issue. Single usb hub and no projector out. Tends to hang with multiple programs on and behaves very erratic with custom built software installed and needs multiple restarts now and then. Screen resolution is dud!
The next batch we bought for our sales team was the Samsung one. It costs much more (approx 25k) but has better features and a 10.8 inch screen size with a very good battery life.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

HCL and Dell also have netbooks. i have an aspire one, but personally i dont like the screen and keypads as they are really small, so parents are using it.

i would suggest you try typing somehting out ojn ti and see how comfortable you are with the 9" screen before purchasing it.
Old 17th February 2009, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I guess this is the 9 point something inch screen size you are talking about costing 16odd thousand bucks end-user price. Right? If so, this is my review: We bought 12 for our sales staff at a very good corporate rate a few months back. Initial impression was WOW. But there are a few downsides, screen too small if you want to work on excel and show ppts to groups of people. Also battery life is an issue. Single usb hub and no projector out. Tends to hang with multiple programs on and behaves very erratic with custom built software installed and needs multiple restarts now and then. Screen resolution is dud!
The next batch we bought for our sales team was the Samsung one. It costs much more (approx 25k) but has better features and a 10.8 inch screen size with a very good battery life.
The one I have has 3 USB ports, 1 projector out port, 160gb hdd, and 1 GB RAM. Have been using it for over a month, and this machine hasn't hanged even a single time.

For more reviews, do check out:
Acer Aspire One Review

Amazon.com: Acer Aspire One AOA150-1126 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) White: Computers & PC Hardware
Old 17th February 2009, 15:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
My usage of the Net book will be mainly :
- New Surfing
- Working on MS-Word,excel,PPT
- Read docs in Acrobat format
- May be listening music / Watching Photos
- No watching of DVDs/Videos,have better options for this entertainment.

My questions:

The Aspire One is allegedly THE best netbook around despite being the first off the blocks - others like HP and Toshiba have brought out their own but the Aspire is rated about them. This is one product they got spot-on from day one.

That said, you must remember it is a NetBook at a budget therefore there are some constraints. It can do all of what you want to do except open up 10 windows without losing performance. It is meant for light usage and not processor-intensive applications. It CAN open up multiple applications - I've used upto 5 concurrently without any perceivable change in performance, but anything more than that will strain the system.

It does heat up but the fan points sideways so you wont feel the heat on your lap - however the fan is noisy.

You can listen to music, but I hope you're not expecting quality sound on a 15k laptop - use a good quality headphone.

The screen is small and the resolution is not out of the world, but it holds it own against netbooks with slightly bigger screens.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:32   #11
BANNED

I would wait for one with Vista. At present only HCL seems to have this. I may in a minority but I quite like Vista over XP Pro.

I also hear that the twin Core ATOM is round the corner.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
The one I have has 3 USB ports, 1 projector out port, 160gb hdd, and 1 GB RAM. Have been using it for over a month, and this machine hasn't hanged even a single time.

+1
I've not watched videos till now. But I don't find any significant strain on the system with 5 windows open as said already. It is a good buy for 17.5k with Windows XP and 14.5k for the linux version. Speakers are underpowered, and I am better off with my creative EP-630 earphones. Three USB ports just seem sufficient.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

After being confused for a couple of months, I bought Samsung NC10 on Sunday (15/02/2009).

I always liked Acer Aspire One (AA1) but after a friend of mine bought, I used it for half an hour and I was not able to convince myself.

Why I chose Samsung NC10 over AA1:

1. 10.2" Screen instead of 9".
2. 6 cell battery instead of 3 cell of AA1.
3. Normal Touchpad buttons, not left and right of the touchpad.
4. Slightly larger keyboard than AA1.

I think bluetooth is also not there in AA1 as compared to NC10.

I got a great deal. I bought NC10 for 25,500/- from Croma with a free Samsung J700 mobile. The mobile dealer near my office assured me of buying it at 4,800/-. So effective price for a great netbook comes to Rs.20,700/- with original Windows XP which is not much if you compare it with the XP version of AA1 (not linux).

This offer is till 20th AFAIK.

So far I am loving this netbook.

Anybody want to buy a netbook, I would suggest Samsung NC10.

Regards,
MG

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 17th February 2009 at 16:24.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:19   #14
BHPian

What happens if you do not want the Samsung J700 mobile? If the mobile is useless to you, the price difference is HUGE.
Old 17th February 2009, 17:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Acer aspire One is one of the best economical netbooks available today, though the atom processor is meant for average usages (meaning you must do your heavy tasks on a desktop and leave simple things to your netbook). All-in-one messenger, browser and all other applications which you want will work perfect on this without any issue for any amount of hours. I own one since last 1 month, never felt any heat, nor slugglishness while using. Its 8.9 inch screen offers enough resolution for movies too (only through flash drives). Music will sound good if you use a quality head phone or connect the output to a 2.1 quality desktop speaker with sub. So far I cant find any complaints though. If you want to use it on battery for long hours, get the extra battery pack of 6 cells. We cant expect too much from a 15k (price I paid) netbook !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks