Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 10:01   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I need some suggestion here. I need a Sony ericsson for my dad. Budget 10k max. He s sony ericsson man so i was looking between k790 i and w810 i. Though the k790 i has been around i kinda prefer it to 810 i. Somehow dislike the buttons of 810i. Mostly i think ill buy the k790 i for him. Got offer for Rs.9500. kindly advice.
Difficult to say.. both are different phones.. I would prefer to go for K810i, kidly note do not go for 810 go for 810i only, it has decent cam + good sound... best headphone sound though which can be easily compared to Nokia N73 However, it is a successor of K790i only.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:46   #3902
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Does updating the firmware mean that the data on the phone memory will be lost ? And any idea when the Nokia 5800 will be launched in India ?
Old 7th October 2008, 13:49   #3903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys,
Does updating the firmware mean that the data on the phone memory will be lost ?
That used to be the case. Newer models (N82, E71 et el) would upgrade without affecting data.

However, still a good idea to backup before startign upgrade.
Old 7th October 2008, 15:25   #3904

Iam looking for a phone with good contact management i.e where I can search by first , second names and preferably with company name also... I have 1800 contacts in my current phone and shall need a capacity of minimum 3000 contacts with all regular fields..also require push mail ...unable to find this info from the net searches...friends ,pls suggest some good phones...
Old 7th October 2008, 15:33   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Difficult to say.. both are different phones.. I would prefer to go for K810i, kidly note do not go for 810 go for 810i only, it has decent cam + good sound... best headphone sound though which can be easily compared to Nokia N73 However, it is a successor of K790i only.

Ashish , Thanks! I got the k790i for him! I got it for rs 9500 with 1 gb card.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:36   #3906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys,
Does updating the firmware mean that the data on the phone memory will be lost ? And any idea when the Nokia 5800 will be launched in India ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That used to be the case. Newer models (N82, E71 et el) would upgrade without affecting data.

However, still a good idea to backup before startign upgrade.
I think the data gets wiped out completely hence its always advisable to take a backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
This must be off your CD, right? I think the issue has been fixed, and the fixed software updater is available for download on the Nokia Support Pages. (I remember seeing something to that effect 2 weeks back when I downloaded this SW for my E90).
No problems in installing or using Nokia PC Suite or Updater on Vista. Though, I downloaded the latest version from the website.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:17   #3907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I think the data gets wiped out completely
I updated firmware on N82 this weekend itself and it did not affect any data, contacts/messages/call logs or anything else on phone memory or SD Card.

But yes, its good practise to take backup. And backup takes hardly a few minutes.
Old 8th October 2008, 00:20   #3908
aZa
Senior - BHPian

N82 and newer phones do not wipe out any of the user data during firmware upgrade. I've done this and nothing was deleted.
Old 8th October 2008, 01:14   #3909
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
N82 and newer phones do not wipe out any of the user data during firmware upgrade. I've done this and nothing was deleted.
Yes it does prompts to take a back up of the data because:
1) due to some reason (unintentionally) the phone is disconnected
2) due to low battery, phones turns off

On both the occasion there is a possibility of loss of data, to be on a safer side they prompt to take a backup.

I upgraded my phone twice. None of the data was lost.

OT: While doing my last upgrade, it did prompt me to charge my phone before proceeding. The phone had 2 bars left.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:43   #3910
BHPian

Internet connection on HTC Touch

Guys,
I need a help.I have BSNL broadband at home.I want to know if I can use it for browsing on my HTC Touch.I dont have a wi-fi modem.Can this be done?
-Jey
Old 8th October 2008, 10:15   #3911
BHPian

^ Dont think so.

If you have a dial-up account then you can use your phone as a dial-up modem through USB/BT connection on PC.

Otherwise what you need to do is to get a WiFi router from LinkSys or D-Link and use the WiFi on your phone (if available) to access the net on your Phone. This is exactly what I do at home to have mobile internet on my laptop and mobile.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:04   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
I need a help.I have BSNL broadband at home.I want to know if I can use it for browsing on my HTC Touch.I dont have a wi-fi modem.Can this be done?
You dont have a Wireless Router and your phone does not have an Ethernet port - how do you propose to browse from your HTC?

Technically you still can browse - if you sync with your PC at home and the Sync settings are configured by you to allow internet connection sharing over ActiveSync. However why would you want to browse from your HTC Touch when it is connected to a PC when the PC itself is connected to the internet?
Old 8th October 2008, 11:09   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Guys,
-Jey

You can try doing that through Bluetooth.

Connect your phone to PC with bluetooth, then:

1. If phone supports browsing using PCs net connection (by sharing it over bluetooth LAN connection).

Or if phone does not have this feature

2. Install some transparent proxy on PC, it will enable HTC to browse net / sync emails
Old 8th October 2008, 11:14   #3914
BHPian

thanks for the replies people.
@Steer:No specific reason.Just wanted to know if it was possible.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:16   #3915
BHPian

If you dont have wifi and would have to use syncing to use the internet on the mobile, why dont you just use the computer instead. Otherwise get a wifi router and a broadband line, I use this setup to browse with my phone sometimes and it works great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks