Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 14:02   #3931
BHPian

@matrix_ren
I actually went from a E51 to a Touch. I much prefer the Touch, I know most people in the world prefer a Nokia, but I am happier with my HTC.
If you are interested in the Touch, just make sure it's the Touch 3452. It has double the memory of the original 3450. (Rs10k for a 3452 seems too cheap, so it's probably the original 3450. I would give the 3450 a miss and go for the 3452 only.)
Old 15th October 2008, 15:03   #3932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix_ren View Post
Need Advice,
Nokia E51 with all its god speed n features but boring old bar design of nokia @ 10,500
OR
HTC Touch, i think the 3450 with Windows Mobile 6 @9,990

My requirement is good speed, features and business smartphone at that price, multimedia not extensive need.Phone must look good.
IMHO, you are comparing 2 very different products. Nokia E51 is Symbian OS and a 'normal' keypad based, budget business usage phone.

Touch is WiMo OS and touchscreen.

So both are difficult to compare and there is a lot of personal bias that may creep in the opinion.
Old 15th October 2008, 22:07   #3933
BHPian

Need feedback for the Nokia 6110 Navigator, Anyone useing it plz tell me if its worth getting it.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:38   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Losing calendar entries

I am facing a very strange problem with my Nokia E51.

A few days ago, I had updated to the latest firmware 200.34.36 (Dated 24-04-2008). I did the usual - took backup on both memory card as well as on laptop via PC Suite.

Phone got updated, after a few unsuccessful attempts. I then restored the data and everything was running fine.

Till last night 10.30 pm, I had my calendar entries intact. When I woke up today morning at 6.30 am, the calendar entries are all gone!

I tried to restore from the backup on the laptop but its not happening.

The only reasons I can think of are the following:
1. I had installed Mail For Exchange some weeks back which I uninstalled soon after as it did not work. That had screwed up my calendar (before the firmware upgrade). But I was able to restore my calendar then.

2. Later on I had installed BlackBerry Connect client software but was not using it. So uninstalled that as well yesterday. However, post uninstall, my calendar entries were intact.

I even installed F Secure anti Virus and ran a scan but it did not find any infections in the phone. No other softwares have been installed, and no other downlaods via net or Bluetooth have happened in the last 1 month on my phone.

My last resort is to have my calendar synced from an old backup (Nokia E61i). That will restore 80% of the entries so that will be my last option, if nothing else works.

But what I want to know is:
1. What is causing this problem?
2. How can it be prevented in future?
Old 16th October 2008, 12:22   #3935
BHPian

Steer,

I dont see your review on TouchPro posted...
I am looking at upgrading to Touch HD when it comes to the market, I need your views on TouchPro.

+Rocky+
Old 16th October 2008, 15:54   #3936
BHPian

Guys....bought a HTC diamond. Fantastic I would say. The touch flo is an amazing feel.

I was contemplating between iphone & HTC diamond. Froze on the diamond.
Old 16th October 2008, 16:24   #3937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Guys....bought a HTC diamond. Fantastic I would say. The touch flo is an amazing feel.

I was contemplating between iphone & HTC diamond. Froze on the diamond.
congrats - excellent choice much better than the iphone
please do keep us updated on how the phone is, especially the battery life, as bad reports on the battery life is the only thing that has kept me off this phone so far. Also I hear the camera lens sticks out due to diamond shaped rear and is prone to scratches.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:51   #3938
BHPian

Thanks Jassi!!

1. I checked the camera lens - it does not get scraped due to its shape. Also the best part is, the actual camera lens is below the bottom casing.

2. The phone is owned by my wife (outright sell off at 0 INR) & since the usage is moderate, will not be able to comment on the battery life.

I have found the front end s/w for the htc too complicated (phone is pretty complicated too....many many features). I am a palm man & just love the palm applications.
Old 22nd October 2008, 05:34   #3939
BHPian

Need advice on a mobile

I need to buy a mobile for my wife. I would like to run Skype on it and be able to make voice calls. I plan to buy a subscription with Skype to make calls to US numbers. Skype needs to connect to my WiFi network at home and be able to make the calls.

Which mobile is suited for me?

I was thinking of HTC touch. What do you experts think? I saw the cost in a post above to be about 10k. Is that true? I saw in some website that the cost is about 16k. If anyone knows the approx price, please post it here!

PS: I am not restricted to Skype, but Skype seems to have the maximum support and troubleshooting may be easier. Thats why the consideration. Since Skype is mostly available for windows mobile, I thought of HTC touch. However, other comments are welcome!

Last edited by deep_bang : 22nd October 2008 at 05:37.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:26   #3940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I need to buy a mobile for my wife. I would like to run Skype on it and be able to make voice calls. I plan to buy a subscription with Skype to make calls to US numbers. Skype needs to connect to my WiFi network at home and be able to make the calls.

Which mobile is suited for me?

I was thinking of HTC touch. What do you experts think? I saw the cost in a post above to be about 10k. Is that true? I saw in some website that the cost is about 16k. If anyone knows the approx price, please post it here!

PS: I am not restricted to Skype, but Skype seems to have the maximum support and troubleshooting may be easier. Thats why the consideration. Since Skype is mostly available for windows mobile, I thought of HTC touch. However, other comments are welcome!
You could also consider Symbian phones like the Nokia E71/ Nokia N95/ Nokia E51

You can install an application called Fring and make calls via Skype, or even better, sign up with any betamax provider to make SIP calls over your WiFi network.

poivY is one of them which I use, and it works perfectly.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:41   #3941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
You could also consider Symbian phones like the Nokia E71/ Nokia N95/ Nokia E51

You can install an application called Fring and make calls via Skype
I tried using Skype on N82 with Fring as well as Skype's own client.

Strongly advise against Skype on Symbian. Major drawback is lack of DTMF.

That means you wont be able to operate ANY ivr system. And wont be able to make conference calls that require DTMF input or calling cards that require dialing pin / destination number.
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:34   #3942
BHPian

if you are going to make one to one calls.. symbian/fring is great.
i would strongly recommend the e61i, prices are low with the launch of the e71.
also whatever phone you use, make sure you are on handsfree...
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:38   #3943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I tried using Skype on N82 with Fring as well as Skype's own client. ...
Where did you download the N82 version of the Skype client from? Skype seems to have only 1 version for Nokia - for the Nokia N800/810 Tablet.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:10   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Skype seems to have only 1 version for Nokia - for the Nokia N800/810 Tablet.
Skype has a generic Java (J2ME) client as well. It works on N82 and would probably work on most other phones.

Will post the URL, should have that on home PC.

EDIT : Skype: download Skype for mobile this is the URL. Supports almost all recent phones due to omnipresent J2ME.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 22nd October 2008 at 16:13.
Old 22nd October 2008, 21:56   #3945
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Skype has a generic Java (J2ME) client as well. It works on N82 and would probably work on most other phones.

Will post the URL, should have that on home PC.

EDIT : Skype: download Skype for mobile this is the URL. Supports almost all recent phones due to omnipresent J2ME.
Does this have voice capabilities? I thought it was only text-chat client.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks