Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2008, 00:05   #2431
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftcrazy View Post
My Classic Ngage has seen better days and is ready to be put to rest.
My budget is 20 - 25K.

I am considering P1i, W960i, E61i, N82.

The N82 is there because i am not sure whether i want a business or a multimedia phone. I am doing my mba and will be joining a it company as a business analyst soon so i want my mobile to be able to read office docs.

I also want MP3, FM(preferably), Bluetooth, wifi and all the good stuff. Camera will be a handy add on as well. I am fearful of rotating and sliding phones coz i think they will break soon.

I am willing to consider other international brands of repute such as HTC in this price range as well that are available in mumbai.

Please advice. I trust the informed members on this forum.

Thanks.
Thanks for your trust.

Having worked daily with Microsoft Windows Mobile developers as well as Symbian developers, we have resolved to stay permanently away from Windows mobile based toys, for the foreseeable future or so.

The N82 is neither a rotating nor a sliding phone. Just a solid rugged candybar phone, that is both a business and a multimedia phone. It has Quick Office which opens your Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. It has MP3, FM(preferably), Bluetooth, wifi and more.

It has one of the very few 5 megapixel cameras in the land. It has Carl Zeiss Tessar 4-element lens and a brilliant Xenon HID flash which hardly any other phones have.

Nokia have improved on their GPS functionality that debuted in the N95, enhanced with A-GPS and integrated with Nokia Maps in the N82.

It has a 240 x 320 pixel TFT color display with 24-bit color (up to 16.7 million colors). MPEG-4 VGA quality (640x480) video capture at 30 frames per second. It has built in 3D graphics accelerator hardware that outputs analog video for connecting to a TV for playback.

The N82's air-interfaces boast of WiFi and HSDPA. In Europe you can surf the internet, download email, video and audio content at up to 3.6Mbps on 3G networks. A blogging facility enables users to upload images and video with one click. Wi-Fi can be used too for higher speed data connections.

It has 100MB of internal user memory, plus MicroSD card expansion; Nokia supplies a 2GB MicroSD Card in the package. It supports multiple audio file formats (MP3/AAC/eAAC/eAAC /WMA/M4A).
Has a stereo FM radio and stereo Bluetooth onboard.

I have pedometer sports software for the N82's built in accelerometer hardware, that measures how much I walk during the day by sensing motion of my bones.

This gadget is just so much more advanced than its competition.

Being in the thick of software development for both
Microsoft Windows Mobile phones as well as Symbian phones,
and going by first-hand experience of the superiority of Symbian in the mobile space, I would not trust my SIM card to a Windows mobile phone.
Old 10th January 2008, 00:48   #2432
Nos007

Nokia E51 will cost u around 14 - 15K, it is a very good business phone..

Old 10th January 2008, 01:34   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Where did you aquire it from and at what price? Was it an unlocked version?
Got it from clove.co.uk

They ship to India. (36K including duty).
Old 10th January 2008, 09:24   #2434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Go for the enhanced touch. Faster ROM and Vid was saying better typing interface also

MC Mayank,

Thanks for the reply.What is the model number of the enhanced touch and whether it is available in INDIA?

What is the price if it?

Please let me know soon.
Old 10th January 2008, 09:50   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos007 View Post
I am being quoted Rs12,150 from most shops in Pune!
Old 10th January 2008, 12:32   #2436
Team-BHP Support

My phone is a Kyocera 7135.
The battery died and I am unable to get a replacement.
Can someone please suggest me an alternative phone.

Phone Usage:
I recieve or make one call either every two days.
Mostly see the missed call section and dial up.

Reading:
I love reading.
My 7135 supports PDF format and I read everyday.
In fact this is what I use my phone for.

MP3:
occasionally listen to music on my phone.

So the phone I need must have a document viewer.
a big screen will be good help.

support either PDF or Word, editing not needed.
Budget as low as it can be.

suggestions please.
Old 10th January 2008, 15:27   #2437
Team-BHP Support

Remote desktop on Win Mobile for those oh so lazy moments when you just dont want to walk or climb stairs.

https://www.kckenterprises.com/WM6RDP.cab

works perfectly and loving it.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:31   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My phone is a Kyocera 7135.
The battery died and I am unable to get a replacement.
Can someone please suggest me an alternative phone.

Phone Usage:
man in 1 call in 2 days

Well you can try Nokia their phones support pdf, word, excel files. I have N70 i read excel and PDF on it. it came pre installed with adobe reader.

Last edited by abhibh : 10th January 2008 at 17:41.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:32   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos007 View Post
Bought it at the Mobile Store. Cost me 12273/- as it wasnt available at QRS (they dont have it and seems they dnt sell that model) and Mobility shop.

Awesome package. Getting used to it as I had been using P910i and M600i.

1)its slim
2)its tad heavy than what you think ( but just 100g)
3)soft-keys tiny for my like.
4)great leather pouch ; but without belt clip :(
Old 10th January 2008, 17:37   #2440
Team-BHP Support

I know it kinda reads weird when someone says they recieve such a low number of calls, but the only reason I have a mobile phone connection
1. my wife can reach me at any time
2. my mom can reach me when wife is not around.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:48   #2441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Phone Usage:
Mostly see the missed call section and dial up
Imran, considering your heavy usage, i suggest you select a phone that does almost everything except calling
Old 10th January 2008, 18:54   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phone Usage:

Reading:
I love reading.
My 7135 supports PDF format and I read everyday.
In fact this is what I use my phone for.

So the phone I need must have a document viewer.
a big screen will be good help.

support either PDF or Word, editing not needed.
Budget as low as it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Imran, considering your heavy usage, i suggest you select a phone that does almost everything except calling
Not too many phone calls? Perfect candidate for Windows Mobile. Great at everything except being a phone (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit, but now I have to run before Steeroid gets here).

@bblost, I use my phone EXTENSIVELY for reading ebooks too. In fact, now 99% of my book-reading is on my phone.

Since this is the single most important thing, there is one more factor that you must consider: The format of the stuff you're reading: .PDF, .lit, .txt, .doc, .htm/.html or .mbc

Frankly, for every format other than .mbc, Windows Mobile RULES. I have a few gigs of ebooks with me and when I used to use a Wi-Mo (PPC-PE actually), I could read all the usual .lit (using MS Reader) and .pdf (using Acrobat Reader) formats. I hate .doc and .txt formats. Same for .htm/.html.

WiMo phones can generally open .pdf (and the other formats) real fast and flip though pages reasonably fast. PDF docs with many pages draaaaaaaag on my E90, among the most powerful Symbian phones.

I LOVE the MS Reader for WiMo. No lag while opening files, and no lag while flipping through files. Extensive bookmarking facilities and control over background and foreground colours, and text size. And of course, ClearType. BUT, it reads only .lit format.

Symbian does not have a reader for .lit files. Yes, read that again, they do not. I was pretty much pissed with this, because when I shifted from my XDA IIi to my E90, nearly all the ebooks in my collection had been pruned to just the .lit versions (I had .pdf and .lit versions of most ebooks).

The MobiPocket Ebook reader (free) is the standard for reading ebooks on Symbian phones. It is free and it is FAST. But you need the ebooks in .mbc format. And I was left with gigs of ebooks in every format but .mbc.

So, I found out a technique using 3 bits of SW to convert .PDF to .mbc, and two bits of SW to convert .lit to .mbc. It is long and crazy process. But I doubt anybody else knows how to do it. *puffing chest*. Really.

Ok, now that I've shown off, I'd recommend a Windows Mobile phone with a 2.4"ish screen at least, for ebook reading. The HTC Touch comes to mind first. 18Kish now, I think.

If you want to use a Symbian phone, look at the E61 and the E61i. The E61i is faster and better, feature-wise, but it is also 16K, when the E61 is about 10K. Between the two, if you can spend 16K, get the E61i. Both these phones have very good (read BIG) screens which make reading very comfy. BUT, you will have to either be as patient as a saint if you plan to read PDF files, or convert the files to MobiPocket Reader (.mbc) format.

Another (maybe not so good) option is to buy an iPaq or other PDA (with Windows Mobile, but no phone) for ebooks and a Nokia Series 40 phone for calls. But you'll need to juggle two devices.
Old 11th January 2008, 03:15   #2443
Nos007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bought it at the Mobile Store. Cost me 12273/- as it wasnt available at QRS (they dont have it and seems they dnt sell that model) and Mobility shop.

Awesome package. Getting used to it as I had been using P910i and M600i.

1)its slim
2)its tad heavy than what you think ( but just 100g)
3)soft-keys tiny for my like.
4)great leather pouch ; but without belt clip :(

Great, it is a very good phone i am not a regular mobile user, i've used N91 a lot i like its music quality a lot,i am planning to buy a N91 8Gb but nokia priority told me that nokia now had discontinued N91 & N91 8GB , now i am planning for the I-Phone.

Old 11th January 2008, 11:53   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Im using Nokia E-61i since the last 1 month. Before that, I used Nokia E-50 for about an year.
Both are awesome phones in their own respective categories.
Old 11th January 2008, 12:16   #2445
Team-BHP Support

@hydrashok: Thank you very much.

I used to do something similar to get get books in the format I like i.e. pdf.
I would run the text version thru
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...her/index.html
it would generate a pdf, which I used to upload on my 7135.

On my 7135, the speed for pdf was quite good.

Most Viewed