Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:36   #2356
Senior - BHPian

iPhone like UI for Windows Mobile: Pointui, the definitive user interface for mobile devices.

Still in Advanced Beta.

More shots of interface here: Flickr: Photos from dorothyg07

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd January 2008 at 23:37.
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:40   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Free push Email for Symbian users.

Cortado - Cortado Free. Get your free Push Mail Account now!

YIPPEEEEEE!!!! I'm gonna try this out now.
Old 3rd January 2008, 00:38   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Free push Email for Symbian users.

Cortado - Cortado Free. Get your free Push Mail Account now!

YIPPEEEEEE!!!! I'm gonna try this out now.
Warning: You will need the Mail for Exchange app installed (free from Nokia) for this to work as true push email. If you use Mail for Exchange (the true push mode) you should not use PC Suite to sync Contacts. Calendar or EMail. It will result in duplication of data or loss of data.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:52   #2359
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The GPS experience on the Nokia N82 mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Congrats Ram,
Could you post a detailed experience of the GPS? I've never managed to get the N95 to work besides once acquiring satellites. Have tried on several borrowed N95s!! 20k is quite a steal for the package! Any maps bundled with it?
Nokia Maps is bundled with the N82.

It has free downloadable maps and routing from any point A to point B. They offer free maps for over 150 countries with 1.5 crore points-of-interest pre-loaded. I could see my private street within my gated community in Chembur. When I walked across the road from left edge to right edge, the cross-hair cursor did likewise in real-time! Also my residence in Aundh, Pune.

It also has a full-fledged, turn-by-turn visual and voice guidance navigation system feature, but that is a paid licensed product available free for 3 months to Nokia N82 buyers.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:53   #2360
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps, MGMaps and other software

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@ram, congrats on the purchase!

Try the GPS with Google maps version 2 (the current version) and you'll love it! Download Google maps from Google Maps (from your phone).
Thanks @hydrashok.

Since September 2005, when I didn't have a GPS phone, I used to use an excellent software called Mobile GMaps (MGMaps) on my Nokia 3230. It was a free software that would download and displays maps tiles from Google's PC version of Google Maps, MSN Virtual Earth and Yahoo Maps along with their satellite image tiles. It was implemented in J2ME for Java-enabled mobile phones and PDAs.

Since the summer of 2006, it also integrated Wikimapia points of interest and was a good useful application.

WikiMapia is a web client for map and satellite images. It mashes up Google Maps with a wiki system, letting any and every user annotate any location on earth. Naturally, (like Team-BHP), it is a vast storehouse of uptodate information from people world-wide. It has over half a crore places marked.

Being Web 2.0 it has more and growing information than what any single corporation (e.g. Microsoft, Google, IBM, etc.) can mark, no matter how big.

I had also downloaded Google Maps for Mobile, but back in 2006 it was a weak wimpy application, paling in comparison to MGMaps.

In September 2006, I upgraded from the Nokia 3230 to Nokia N73. Re-downloaded all my mobile applications, which of course benefited from the additional memory and CPU power, and ran faster.

In July 2007, Google Corporation sent Mr. Streng a legal notice asking him to de-implement Google map tiles from Mobile Gmaps.

Read about that here:
Mobile GMaps :: View topic - Google requests removal of Google Maps support from MGMaps

Google wants to be the exclusive online map provider even in the mobile space. Without Google Maps, MGMaps is a shadow of its former self.

So Google Maps is now, by default, the power application.

On new year's day 2008, I downloaded Google Maps Mobile 2.0.7 from Google Maps.

Google Maps is now a native Symbian OS 9, S60 application. Naturally overall performance beats the old Java version. It loads fast and works fast. Also now supports the internal GPS in phones like the N82 letting you identify your location in near realtime. Still, the S60 version of Google Maps lacks the “favorites” feature.

Caution! Internet data downloads can be massive, so you must have an unlimited data plan from your mobile service provider. I have been subscribed to Idea GPRS unlimited for over two years now, with my Nokia 3230, N73 and now N82. It used to be Rs. 500 per month, two years ago. And now it is Rs. 1000 per month.

Yesterday, I rode in a Neeta Volvo B7R from Chembur, Mumbai to Aundh, Pune. Could see the blue flashing dot on Google Maps traverse the entire length of expressway. GPS measured speed 99 km/h in stretches. You could zoom in and out to see the landmarks along the route.

Now if Google maps were only to integrate Wikimapia...

Ram
Old 3rd January 2008, 13:24   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Now if Google maps were only to integrate Wikimapia...
I wish the same too. Wikimapia has so many more 'user-marked' points that make navigating in even very interior areas a snap! The detail is so much, you are even likely to see the exact house/building you are going to, marked by a user.

Your unlimited plan is (gulp!) 1k? My monthly plan (Airtel) adds 250/- for unlimited GPRS/EDGE. I recently bought a 12 month unlimited GPRS/EDGE package 1600/- so it now runs to 134/- a month. But I guess you must be getting much better speeds too.
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:35   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Symbian Smartphone

A Huuuuge archive of free SW for Symbian S60 Phones. (You'll find the occasional Java App too). Enjoy!
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:10   #2363
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, edit time expired.

Two great bits of FREE SW for Symbian S60:

1) Export your SMS to Text file: Symbian Smartphone: SMS Export for Nokia Series 60 3rd edition

2) Export your call-register to CSV: Symbian Smartphone: LogExport - Export the Call Register data to a CSV file.
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:40   #2364
Senior - BHPian

@hydra, have you visited this forum? Noeman GSM ?
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:11   #2365
BHPian

Suggestion Needed

Hey Guys price of Nokia N91 8 GB edition is 12000 now , should I go for it ? Any known Ros/Cons of the phone ?

Regards
Prashant
Old 3rd January 2008, 21:45   #2366
Team-BHP Support

Was a nokia loyalist. Used 3350 and 3600 earlier. Currently with sony ericsson w580i. Nice phone but could have done with a better battery.
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:10   #2367
BHPian

Just called Nokia Priority Dealer and he confirmed the price of N91 8 GB Version (Black Colour) for INR 12000 With B/W , Should I go fo it , and feedback will be appreciated .

Thanks
Prashant
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:54   #2368
Senior - BHPian

N91 cant be termed a successful model by any margins. I know the space is less somewhat but try a W950i/w960i for better music capabilities.

In that price range even the ROKR betters the N91 8gb albeit minus the memory and wi-fi which is basically useless on that small 176X220 screen.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:19   #2369
BHPian

N95 8gb

N95 8GB, bought it in december, the phone hangs up and also sometimes i lose my signal, have to restart to use phone Bad idea to upgrade from N95
Old 4th January 2008, 10:47   #2370
BHPian

Anyone tried this on the N95 8GB ?

Cellphones: Nokia N95 8GB Update Allows Full YouTube Access

Dnag ! time for another s/w update !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks