Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:15   #3886
BHPian

Guys any ideas about the 'Chinese' phones that are avalaible? Saw an ad in the papers today for iphone lookalike called e-phone for 9,999. Best part being dual sim.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:58   #3887
BHPian

Hey folks, am in a hunt for a new mobile. Priorities are GPS, basic cam, good battery life, and a very quick phone. I zeroed onto 5 phones.

1. Nokia N95 8GB (Dont like the look)
2. Nokia N78 (Hate the keypad)
3. Nokia N82 (Used one for a week and I felt it sluggish)
4. Nokia E71 (Used a E51 and it was a little painful with the keys, so I expect the same here and besides, this is bigger in size compared to others)
5. HTC Tytn II (Fits the bill perfectly, a little expensive compared to others but its got a touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard, and WiMo)

I guess ill go ahead with the tytn II, do you feel it is better than the other options? I like QWERTY keypads (Got a 9300 now) and always wanted a touchscreen too. I guess Win Mob is much more stable, faster and robust than Symbian right?
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:47   #3888
BHPian

One of my friend says that a symbian os is way better than wimo. In that case, e71 seems to be a good option. vfm mobile. Do help me choose. My priorities arent camera or music or games or videos, no multimedia phone basically.
Old 4th October 2008, 12:38   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Guys any ideas about the 'Chinese' phones that are avalaible? Saw an ad in the papers today for iphone lookalike called e-phone for 9,999. Best part being dual sim.
No idea about that, although I saw that ad by Indiatimes Shopping - for BB 8700g UNLOCKEDfor Rs 8500 and Rs 1500 cash back. However, it gives only 6 months DEALER warranty
Old 4th October 2008, 12:49   #3890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
I would advice to stay away from chinese crap, once gone kaput you'll find yourself no-where. It will more or less wasting 9,999. Spend less but get one which has better warranty support.
Old 4th October 2008, 16:41   #3891
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
anyone upgraded to the latest firmware on N82 ? please update with the changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Only change that I noticed was in Navigation, UI is much better now.
Just finished updating my phone.
I had started downloading yesterday night, but due to battery low it asked to charge first then re-try. I canceled the whole update. Dont exactly remember how much did it finish out of the 116 MB. Right now re plugged the phone and it says 'Updating Phone. Estimated time left is 15 mins.' Phone later went into Nokia Test Mode v.30.0.019
Update complete! version also shows the latest one. I hope it has fully updated.

As pointed out by Netfreak - UI is very fast and also the Maps are much better.
Also read somewhere that it has some audio enhancements but didnt find any changes esp. using loudspeaker, I havent checked Radio Apps.
Old 4th October 2008, 17:26   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
I had started downloading yesterday night, but due to battery low it asked to charge first then re-try. I canceled the whole update. Dont exactly remember how much did it finish out of the 116 MB. Right now re plugged the phone and it says 'Updating Phone. Estimated time left is 15 mins.' Phone later went into Nokia Test Mode v.30.0.019
Update complete! version also shows the latest one. I hope it has fully updated.

As pointed out by Netfreak - UI is very fast and also the Maps are much better.
Also read somewhere that it has some audio enhancements but didnt find any changes esp. using loudspeaker, I havent checked Radio Apps.
On another note, I recently upgraded my E51 firmware. I can hardly notice differences as per the change log published on Nokia website. The phone just seems a tad bit faster
Old 5th October 2008, 18:13   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
I just bought a Nokia N82 yesterday. Can you please tell me how can I check the version of the firmware? This is my first Nokia color phone. I previoisly had 4 SE phones, a MotoRazr, a 1100.

The Software updater is not getting installed on my laptop. My OS is Windows Vista. Has anyone installed the same on Windows Vista? Please help.

Also, if I go to customer care, will they install the latest firmware? What is the approximate price they charge?

Please help guys.
Old 5th October 2008, 18:26   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
how can I check the version of the firmware?
Type *#06# on the standby (normal) screen and the firmware version will pop up.

Cheers!!!
Old 5th October 2008, 23:09   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Software updater is not getting installed on my laptop. My OS is Windows Vista. Has anyone installed the same on Windows Vista? Please help.
This must be off your CD, right? I think the issue has been fixed, and the fixed software updater is available for download on the Nokia Support Pages. (I remember seeing something to that effect 2 weeks back when I downloaded this SW for my E90).
Old 5th October 2008, 23:18   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, if I go to customer care, will they install the latest firmware? What is the approximate price they charge?

Please help guys.
If you phone is under-warranty it will done 100% free of cost, as it comes under guidelines provided to service center to keep the phone onto latest firmwares. As per guidelines, before applying any further upgrade your phone need to be running on latest firmwares.

However for installing on your vista laptop you might need to look out for OS specific Software updater from manufacturer's website.

Cheers
Old 6th October 2008, 03:11   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just bought a Nokia N82 yesterday. Can you please tell me how can I check the version of the firmware? This is my first Nokia color phone. I previoisly had 4 SE phones, a MotoRazr, a 1100.

Please help guys.
I would advise you to do the installation on a XP based machine if you have the option. I have seen too many instance of people having vista and hence getting some errors or the other while updating the Nokia N82.
My 2 cents!
Old 6th October 2008, 10:44   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Help on Samsung SGH-B520

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Samsung SGH-B520 cell phone. Now, the problem I am facing is that even when it is on silent mode, when someone calls, after the call is canceled or dropped, there is a single beep that comes from the phone reminding me that I missed a call. This is very irritating as I don't want any beeps or notifications on the silent mode apart from plain simple vibration of the phone.

Anyone using this phone or knows how do I solve this problem. I tried reading the owners manual (on web and at home) but nothing helped really.

Please help me resolve this issue.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:49   #3899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Samsung SGH-B520 cell phone. Now, the problem I am facing is that even when it is on silent mode, when someone calls, after the call is canceled or dropped, there is a single beep that comes from the phone reminding me that I missed a call. This is very irritating as I don't want any beeps or notifications on the silent mode apart from plain simple vibration of the phone.

Anyone using this phone or knows how do I solve this problem. I tried reading the owners manual (on web and at home) but nothing helped really.

Please help me resolve this issue.
Amtak, as far as i know you cannot close it permanently but you can change the no. of reminders.

For changing the same, there is an option in profiles with a small envelope singy. Enter it, change to once or periodic according to your preference.
Old 7th October 2008, 09:53   #3900
Senior - BHPian

I need some suggestion here. I need a Sony ericsson for my dad. Budget 10k max. He s sony ericsson man so i was looking between k790 i and w810 i. Though the k790 i has been around i kinda prefer it to 810 i. Somehow dislike the buttons of 810i. Mostly i think ill buy the k790 i for him. Got offer for Rs.9500. kindly advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks