Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 12:57   #4576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you try Win Mail to outlook express export?
Isn't Win Mail an avtar of Outlook Express for Vista?

Anyway, used the Windows Office disc to install the Outlook components for importing csv. Thus I now had all my contacts in Outlook.

The stupid thing however removed a lot of '+' signs from the numbers, causing a number like +91 98xxxxxxxx to become 9198xxxxxxxx. So I thought I'll open the .csv, do a 'Find and Replace' 91 with +91 (very dangerous I know, there could be several 91s which are not the country code, within the numbers), but the csv refused to find the searched data saying the file could be protected.

Then I used a tool to fix all the annoying 'Last Name, First Name' filing order to 'First Name, Last Name'.

Finally a tool to remove duplicate entries.

I deleted all the contacts on the phone, barring a few manually entered recent contacts to ensure duplicates were not created again and synced. Here, it might be important to note, that Window Mobile Device Center does not show any sync conflict option, or atleast I can't find them.

On syncing, I got a minor heart attack. All the contacts from the contacts folder on Outlook were deleted, and they were replaced by the 30-40 odd maunually entered ones from the phone.

More later.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 16th April 2009 at 12:58.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:02   #4577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Isn't Win Mail an avtar of Outlook Express for Vista?

On syncing, I got a minor heart attack. All the contacts from the contacts folder on Outlook were deleted, and they were replaced by the 30-40 odd maunually entered ones from the phone.

More later.
Funny thing, apart from playing around for few minutes i havent used Vista, am i glad or what

Sync conflict will definitely be there! And hope you have kept a back up of the Csv.

Cant wait to hear more :P
Old 16th April 2009, 13:15   #4578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Yes, it does. One can specify to the PC Sync which phone uses which local profile. I have the same situation - just that my wife won't have anything to do with backups and such 'bothersome details' that would require her to work on a PC (she is a PC hater).

Buuuuttttt... it is on the Windows side that things become messy. Both Win Mail / Outlook Express, as well as Outlook, are very temperamental when it comes to allowing you to bring up the UI with the profile that YOU would like to use in a session (without changing logon). I normally succeed once in 10-15 tries, and I am yet to see a sureshot method to do that. Works with separate logons though.
Thanks DA, my case is similar, it was me who was taking a back up of her phone(as in I was ordered to )

Quote:
Just saw this, i had a similar dilemma earlier. I used MS Outlook and created separate subfolder for the second phone/address book and mapped it to the 2 phones and it worked well.

So check if Nokia's sync support folders to be specified from MS Outlook.

Even if it doesnt, another way out is, though lil manual process:

Create back up of each of the address book as separate folders. Ctrl A>CtrlC> and move it to the main Add book folder Ctrl A>CtrlV and sync, and then reverse the process and have a manual back up
Jaggu I am not using MS outlook or Win Mail on my Laptop(I use webmail to access office mails).

Hmm Thats what the issue is I dont know how can I save address in separate folder, as I only see one address book & no such option of saving it in some folder(export/save etc). I will go home & check it out again.

Right now the contact list in PC Sync contains both the phone's contacts. Need to figure out a way to separate them so that I can keep syncing my phone regularly.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:13   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I used a tool to fix all the annoying 'Last Name, First Name' filing order to 'First Name, Last Name'.
Err...you can do this on outlook (File As).

Quote:

More later.
Depends on how you set up your sync - you've obviously set it up to replace items on the PC with those on the Mobile Device.

Fear not - all deleted contacts are in your 'Deleted Items' folder. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V will bring them back.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:42   #4580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Jaggu I am not using MS outlook or Win Mail on my Laptop(I use webmail to access office mails).

Hmm Thats what the issue is I dont know how can I save address in separate folder, as I only see one address book & no such option of saving it in some folder(export/save etc). I will go home & check it out again.
Start using MS outlook and all these will become so much more easy. Even your office email can be accessed if they allow a IMAP and is ok according to their security policy.

In MS outlook, you just right click, select new folder, specify the location as contacts and name it whatever you want and you have a new address book/folder.

Then in active sync/other software map the folder you want.

Same thing can be done for calendar, tasks etc

EDIT: same is possible in Outlook express also

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th April 2009 at 14:45.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:50   #4581
Senior - BHPian

I know that buddy.

Quote:
Start using MS outlook and all these will become so much more easy. Even your office email can be accessed if they allow a IMAP and is ok according to their security policy.
This cant be done as mails can only be accessed from within the network & outside with using webmail that too only with a Secure id token(which I dont have since I mostly work on client's network)

Client's network again can be accessed only by similar methods.

This may help if I configure one of the gmail/rediffmail etc on Outlook which again I am not too keen on.

So If I understand correctly unless I set Outlook etc the only other convenient way to sync both phones is via creating another user profile on my machine?
Old 16th April 2009, 16:43   #4582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This may help if I configure one of the gmail/rediffmail etc on Outlook which again I am not too keen on.

So If I understand correctly unless I set Outlook etc the only other convenient way to sync both phones is via creating another user profile on my machine?
You dont have to configure any email to sync address book and calendar of your phone with outlook. Just cancel the create email account prompts and go ahead with the sync.

So then why bother with different profiles etc?
Old 16th April 2009, 17:07   #4583
Distinguished - BHPian

guys, can anyone please tell me which is the *cheapest* mobile that
1. charges off computer's USB
2. supports 3.5mm audio jack
3. has memory card for storing audio files

i don't need anything else (bluetooth, wi-fi, camera, gprs, etc.)

thanks!
Old 16th April 2009, 17:44   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even your office email can be accessed if they allow a IMAP and is ok according to their security policy.
You dont have to use MS Outlook to download office email onto your mobile if your office exchange server supports push (almost all do, these days).

Go to ActiveSync on your Mobile (not on the PC) and click on 'server' or 'configure server' or 'server sources' (whatever it says).

Enter domain name/username & password and the exchange server url (which is usually the same as the webmail url) and set up the synchronization - you have your office in your hand.
Old 16th April 2009, 17:53   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
guys, can anyone please tell me which is the *cheapest* mobile that
1. charges off computer's USB
2. supports 3.5mm audio jack
3. has memory card for storing audio files

i don't need anything else (bluetooth, wi-fi, camera, gprs, etc.)

thanks!
MOTOYUVA - Motorola W270
Old 16th April 2009, 18:03   #4586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You dont have to use MS Outlook to download office email onto your mobile if your office exchange server supports push (almost all do, these days).

Go to ActiveSync on your Mobile (not on the PC) and click on 'server' or 'configure server' or 'server sources' (whatever it says).

Enter domain name/username & password and the exchange server url (which is usually the same as the webmail url) and set up the synchronization - you have your office in your hand.
No saar you got me wrong, i was suggesting him to use outlook in his laptop instead of webmail access. I dont think he is looking at carrying his emails at this point of time no syncing it.

More over in his case i think it has a secondary check of secure id, i dont know why people still use this

He wants to sync contacts, 1 contact book for his mobile and 2nd for his wifee's mobile.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:04   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You dont have to configure any email to sync address book and calendar of your phone with outlook.
Brilliant Jaggu, never thought that I could use the MS address book just like the calendar, was only using Nokia's Contacts so far. Will try out soon & report back
Old 16th April 2009, 18:05   #4588
BANNED

Nokia launches E75 for ~26200/-

IMO, an introductory price of ~22k would have been sufficient.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:07   #4589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Brilliant Jaggu, never thought that I could use the MS address book just like the calendar, was only using Nokia's Contacts so far. Will try out soon & report back
You are the welcome, sometimes we overlook the obvious, one more thing if you dont want to create multiple folders/or sync software doesnt select different folder (not default).

Configure one contact book/list in Outlook express, second one in MS outlook ie if you have both.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:12   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Nokia launches E75 for ~26200/-

IMO, an introductory price of ~22k would have been sufficient.
Exactly, even I feel the same.

If the phone would had been around 22k, I would have for sure bought it this weekend. Now will have to look at other options

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks