Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2009, 10:38   #4606
BHPian

Hello Friends, after a lot of seaches i have found no mobile to fit the bill yet so here is a revised list of features i'm looking for.

Is there a phone in the market with good 3mp camera with flash and in-built GPS...I know this can be difficult find a phone with the above 2 features unless the budget is about 20k and that the deal here...I am planning to buy an i-pod for my ears so music or a 3.5mm audio jack or good speakers for music is not what i'm looking for anymore.

So what is the cheapest 3mp phone with integrated GPS ???
Old 19th April 2009, 12:17   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians, phonewa koshun bataiye pleaseIn rapidly decreasing order of priority:

a. 10-13k
b. Should look decent
c. 3.2 MP
d. GPS (possible?)
e. Lovely speakerphone/ music on speakers - i have lots of telecons to
attend while driving.
f. (half) decent battery life
g.qwerty keypad - non slider
Old 19th April 2009, 12:47   #4608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Dear BHPians, phonewa koshun bataiye pleaseIn rapidly decreasing order of priority:

a. 10-13k
b. Should look decent
c. 3.2 MP
d. GPS (possible?)
e. Lovely speakerphone/ music on speakers - i have lots of telecons to
attend while driving.
f. (half) decent battery life
g.qwerty keypad - non slider
Nokia E63 it has to be for you,

1)12.5-13 k
2)looks OK
3)2 mp decent cam
4)NO GPS
5)Good speaker/music, 3.5 mm Jack (very useful)
6)excellent battery back up
7)full qwerty , without slider
Old 19th April 2009, 17:15   #4609
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Nokia E63 it has to be for you,

1)12.5-13 k
2)looks OK
3)2 mp decent cam
4)NO GPS
5)Good speaker/music, 3.5 mm Jack (very useful)
6)excellent battery back up
7)full qwerty , without slider
Just bought this phone 2 days back. Pretty decent I'd say. Everything is functional. Doesn't look as classy as the E71 but feels more comfortable weight-wise and size-wise.
Old 19th April 2009, 18:11   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
By the way, might come to Dubai end of this month. Could sure use some personalized WM6 tips.
Anytime. WM7 should be out by then, though .
Old 20th April 2009, 09:37   #4611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hello Friends, after a lot of seaches i have found no mobile to fit the bill yet so here is a revised list of features i'm looking for.

Is there a phone in the market with good 3mp camera with flash and in-built GPS...I know this can be difficult find a phone with the above 2 features unless the budget is about 20k and that the deal here...I am planning to buy an i-pod for my ears so music or a 3.5mm audio jack or good speakers for music is not what i'm looking for anymore.

So what is the cheapest 3mp phone with integrated GPS ???
HTC Diamond? prices have come down and you should be able to get it for under 20k. it comes with a 3.2 MP Camera and has GPS on board as well. Plus the 528MHz processor and 192MB RAM really rocks. Oh and these days it comes with 1340mAH battery rather than the 920mAH battery it used to come with plus you can even get the Airtel unlock code for free so that you can use any SIM cards
Old 20th April 2009, 11:49   #4612
BHPian

Advice requestes for buying a mobile with GPS

Hi, I am planning to get a mobile with GPS capabilities to assist me in my travels and I have shortlisted some models which came up in my research. They are Nokia 6110 navigator, 6710 Navigator and 5800 XpressMusic (which also has GPS functionality).
I would like to get some advice from the forum as to which is the best one in terms of GPS capabilities. Or is there some other model which is better than these ? My budget is 20K.Looking forward to your responses.I don't have any brand preferences(though my research includes only Nokia)
Old 20th April 2009, 12:18   #4613
Senior - BHPian

A phone using the Windows Mobile platform offers much better GPS options than a Symbian based unit. Look at the HTC Touch Diamond. My dad has a N96 and s/w on the Symbian platform for India is very limited.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:19   #4614
BHPian

The little reading I did mentioned the in phone GPS was not as good as the external ones in terms of sensitivity or capability. I would suggest you get an external GPS device rather than tie the phone and GPS together. For 11K the map my india navigator has had good reviews in AutoCar. Othe brands are costlier. This is just my thought. There is a bluetooth capable Nokia GPS piece that can also be added on later to any phone capable of supporting bluetooth based GPS. This would be another option as well.
Old 20th April 2009, 12:25   #4615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Look at the HTC Touch Diamond. My dad has a N96 and s/w on the Symbian platform for India is very limited.
Thanks bigman but does this HTC Touch has 3G support ? I would like to get a phone which offers GPS and then some thing like 3G support as a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
I would suggest you get an external GPS device rather than tie the phone and GPS together..
This would involve me having to carry both the pieces right ? from a daily use point of view ( when using as a mobile) is this feasible ?
Old 20th April 2009, 12:36   #4616
BHPian

I have been using the following for the last couple of months.

1. Nokia E66 with in built GPS and Satguide symbian software
2. Map My India AMAX Car navigation device with updated software form Map my India.

The following are my observation.

1. Nokia E66.
Lock in to GPS signals is fast as the phone downloads to sattelite position from the Nokia server and configures itself. Screen size is tiny and unusable for driving. Audio output comes onto the blue tooth headset after pairing.Possible to use other software like google maps, nokia maps etc.Symbian version of satguide is limited to 25 cities only and highway maps are not very accurate.
2. Map My India PND
Screen size is more practical. Audio is loud. Map detail is excellent especially on the highway.Covers 400 odd cities. With this device alternate software is not easily available.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:09   #4617
BHPian

E63+gmaps=basic GPS

Have been using gmaps on E63 for a while.
While pointing my location is a little erroneous(owing to towers spacing issues from operator), guiding me from point A to point B is pretty quick and impressive.Though this combination could never compete a standalone GPS , for general purpose daily usage(read getting routes in cities), google maps should suffice, IMHO.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:58   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Thanks bigman but does this HTC Touch has 3G support ? I would like to get a phone which offers GPS and then some thing like 3G support as a bonus.

This would involve me having to carry both the pieces right ? from a daily use point of view ( when using as a mobile) is this feasible ?
Yes the HTC touch diamond is 3G.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:14   #4619
Senior - BHPian

^sadly the diamond launched in India does not have 3G :(

it only has GPRS/EDGE.

However there is a model called HTC Touch 3G and yes it is obviously 3G and has GPS as well

HTC - Products - HTC Touch 3G - Overview

price would be around 20k range
Old 21st April 2009, 18:21   #4620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
guys, can anyone please tell me which is the *cheapest* mobile that
1. charges off computer's USB
2. supports 3.5mm audio jack
3. has memory card for storing audio files

i don't need anything else (bluetooth, wi-fi, camera, gprs, etc.)

thanks!
just an update. finally purchased nokia 5130 xpressmusic for 6K mainly for its 3.5mm jack, compromised on the USB charger, instead bought a nokia car charger. given the sad state of bangalore traffic conditions i figured i will be better served with a charge-from-car option than charge from laptop option :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks