Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 05:34   #6031
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Is there a similar benefit possible for E63? I'm interested in speeding it up - its definitely overloaded! I run Lotus Traveler, Mail For Exchange and Nimbuzz or Tweets60 running any given time.

Of course, I can NOT run applications, but i'd just have a nokia 1202 in that case
Old 28th March 2010, 05:58   #6032
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman - if there is a later version of the firmware that is out (a quick search in Google says the latest is v400.21), but if your phone says it cant find any (ditto through Nokia Software Update), then you can do what I did. Let us know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Seems like I will have to take a call between the corby pro, e63 and the galaxy 5700. BTW how is windows mobile 6 as a os ?

Any reviews on windows mobile 7?
Windows mobile 6.x is a joke, skip it Windows mobile 7 will take a while to come out (~Sep 2010 IIRC), and the first thing that made me twitch about it was - multi-tasking is being removed from it!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 28th March 2010 at 06:02.
Old 28th March 2010, 12:40   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I finally got the nerve to hack my brand new E72 -
Way to go. Kudos to you.

We less resourceful people are doggedly waiting. Is the wait futile?

Your efforts exhibit your belief that the Indian E72s will not get the firmware update any time soon. Any inside information?
Old 28th March 2010, 14:13   #6034
Senior - BHPian

Not at all!! The firmware is dated Jan 25th, 2010 - and if after 2 months it is still not here, am not waiting anymore

Wanted to see if the few quirks I noticed goes away - and there were posts in the official nokia forum that bluetooth has been improved. That was one of my major grouses - poor quality when it is connected to my FH-P800BT. Sure enough, this update fixed the poor call quality issue with the bluetooth.
Old 28th March 2010, 18:55   #6035
Senior - BHPian

guys, the Sony Erricsson Xperia X10 & vivaz is launched at 35k & 25k respectively.

i have been waiting for these phones. now i am super confused.

both phones have 8MP camera, A-GPS, 3G, wi-fi, etc. but vivaz has a resistive touchscreen as opposed to the capacitive touchscreen of the X10. on the contrary, vivaz has a 16M colors screen & X10 has just 64k colors!

good news is that X10 offers android 2.0 (i assume thats the latest version also offered in HTC google phones). vivas comes with symbian Ver. 5. i assume & i have heard android is superior to symbian.

confusion guys!
Old 28th March 2010, 20:21   #6036

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
SE Xepria X10 suppose to be announced today. Any news anyone. Heard its launched in USA for $770. Not sure how much they ripp us off here.

Moreover airtel launched iphone 3GS here are the prices.

• iPhone 3G 8 GB (Black) for Rs 29,500
• iPhone 3GS 16 GB (White & Black) for Rs 35,500
• iPhone 3GS 32 GB (White & Black) for Rs 41,500

* The prices may vary in some States due to differential VAT.
Do you think this price is worth considering that in US the iPhone can be urchased without a contract now for 10 K less than the 32Gb 3GS version.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:54   #6037
BHPian

Can you recommend for a few good apps

Quote:
Wanted to see if the few quirks I noticed goes away
Any fark in the GUI in the new firmware? Does it make the User Experience any better? Some bugs have been removed, as mentioned by you. For PLU who use it mainly for surfing, GPS, SMS, maps and fetch mail, is there anything in it?

Also, can you do an ehsaan to this newbie, to the world of smartphones that is, and suggest some good applications for E72 that are available on the net?
Old 28th March 2010, 23:38   #6038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Any fark in the GUI in the new firmware? Does it make the User Experience any better? Some bugs have been removed, as mentioned by you. For PLU who use it mainly for surfing, GPS, SMS, maps and fetch mail, is there anything in it?

Also, can you do an ehsaan to this newbie, to the world of smartphones that is, and suggest some good applications for E72 that are available on the net?
Nothing new that I noticed on the interface, except for the new two themes - Purple Business and Personal. New SMS message window opens tad faster than before, but there is STILL a delay - dunno why, considering the fast proc and higher RAM. I read that the GPS gets a satellite lock faster than before, did not check that yet.

A few apps I use / have -
  • Advanced Communication Manager - came free with the phone, can block those pesky marketing callers
  • Quickoffice Upgrade - free upgrade to v6.2, which features support for Office 2007 formats
  • OVI Maps - free for life time GPS maps from Nokia with turn by turn voice navigation, but limited for cities / towns
  • Google Search - has voice search capabilities
  • Google Maps - exhaustive maps, and covers areas beyond cities. Any area on google maps (online version) is accessible on this. Flipside is that you will be downloading the maps every time (OVI maps stores the maps in the memory card)
  • Slick - Multiprotocol IM. Supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, GTalk, Facebook, etc
  • NGPay - Can access your HDFC / Axis bank accounts, recharge a lot of prepaid mobiles, buy movie tickets, book train tickets, etc
  • JbakTaskman - A task manager replacement for the stock "Open apps" menu. Not a great interface, but damn good on features
  • Youtube app - to search and watch videos from Youtube on your mobile
  • Gmail App - Check you mails on the go. This is not a must have, as the mobile comes with an IMAP email client that can be configured to access GMail
  • Opera Mobile - A browser with better features than the stock browser
All these are free / comes-with-the-phone apps. I have left off all the hacking / cracked software purposefully
Old 29th March 2010, 10:19   #6039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
guys, the Sony Erricsson Xperia X10 & vivaz is launched at 35k & 25k respectively.

good news is that X10 offers android 2.0 (i assume thats the latest version also offered in HTC google phones). vivas comes with symbian Ver. 5. i assume & i have heard android is superior to symbian.

confusion guys!
sorry guys, i gave some wrong info earlier. the Xperia X10 comes with android 1.6 & not 2.0, but again good news is that X10 screen is 16M colors 'ready', its just that the present android 1.6 does not support that & hence the present X10 will work with 64k colors. but sony promises to update the phone soon with android 2.0 & 16m colors screen. i will have to wait.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:17   #6040
BHPian

Motorola Milestone Launched in India

Motorola has introduced Milestone, that is set to become the first Android 2.1-powered phone for India.

Tech2.com India > Motorola Milestone Launched in India > News on Mobile Phones Mobile
Old 29th March 2010, 19:42   #6041
Senior - BHPian

N97 owners try out this bot from Nokia , It is beta but these kind of bots are future and quite useful until malicious code writers start providing their own bots.

Introducing Nokia Bots: add-ons that make daily routines easier by learning from your behavior | Beta Labs
Old 29th March 2010, 21:58   #6042
BHPian

I purchased a Nokia E72 from Mobilestore two days back and it seems to have some issues in 3G network. It heats up very very quickly in 3G network and can't able to talk or hold the phone more than 2-3 mins. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Please advice.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:22   #6043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I purchased a Nokia E72 from Mobilestore two days back and it seems to have some issues in 3G network. It heats up very very quickly in 3G network and can't able to talk or hold the phone more than 2-3 mins. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Please advice.
I have never tried the phone on 3G (I have GPRS (EDGE) from Aircel), but try updating your firmware to v23. You have have to change the region code on your phone using Nemesis Software Suite (NSS) for the update to get detected when you run Nokia Software Updater (NSU).

Suggest you restore the phone to defaults, and restore only your contacts.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:46   #6044
BHPian

E72 apps

Quote:
All these are free / comes-with-the-phone apps.
This list almost matches the apps I have installed on my E72. Opera Mini can be added to it.

Right now I am happy with my E72. Am using BSNL 3G. Appears worse than GPRS of my friends though.
Old 30th March 2010, 01:42   #6045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
This list almost matches the apps I have installed on my E72. Opera Mini can be added to it.

Right now I am happy with my E72. Am using BSNL 3G. Appears worse than GPRS of my friends though.
Am using Opera Mobile instead of mini - isn't the mobile version more oomphy than the mini? I mean, isn't mini for devices that do not have enough processing power (and hence the rendering is actually done in Opera's servers with the end result alone getting loaded to the device)?

Here is something from Google's cache: What is the best mobile browser for your phone? Opera Mini vs. Opera Mobile.

And a blog: Opera Mobile - Difference between Opera Mobile 10 and Opera Mini 5

And do you find any heating issues like what @funda2max has posted here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks