Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 20:34   #6121
Senior - BHPian

The Mobile Handset Collection thread

As many of us use this technological invention on a daily basis we get used to it so much that either we get bored of it or the handset itself reaches the end of its life and we tend to either store it away in our drawers or sell it for peanuts or even exchange them. How many of us still have our first handsets with us.Or how many of us are freaked to collect these devices. Atleast i still have my first one and continue to collect many different mobile handset models as and when i get hold of.
So this thread is for all those who share the same passion towards these devices and collect or atleast have some oldies(old model sets). Anybody who feels to share Do post the pics of their devices.
Will share the pics of my collection shortly.

Last edited by samsag12 : 15th April 2010 at 20:42.
Old 15th April 2010, 21:12   #6122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Guys a problem.
My sisiter bought a new N97 Mini on 03.04.2010.
Yesterday at her office a full glass of water accidentally fell on the instrument. Now the instrument is getting heated up and not functioning correctly. please let me know what can be done
One possible solution I read somewhere is to disassemble the battery, sim and memory card and keep the phone in a container that consists of rice powder overnight. This seems to extract all the moisture inside the phone and thus make it functional without problems again. May work if your sister is lucky, otherwise need to replace the motherboard.
Old 15th April 2010, 21:17   #6123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
One possible solution I read somewhere is to disassemble the battery, sim and memory card and keep the phone in a container that consists of rice powder overnight. This seems to extract all the moisture inside the phone and thus make it functional without problems again. May work if your sister is lucky, otherwise need to replace the motherboard.
Silica gel may work better than rice in absorbing moisture.
Old 15th April 2010, 21:20   #6124
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Guys a problem.
My sister bought a new N97 Mini on 03.04.2010.
Yesterday at her office a full glass of water accidentally fell on the instrument. Now the instrument is getting heated up and not functioning correctly. please let me know what can be done
First and foremost, do not use the phone.
As v.anand rightly points out:
Take out the battery, SIMcard and memory card and dry those things.

Wait for the mobile phone to thoroughly dry out.
Put it in a bottle with silica gel dessicant if possible.
Once fully dry inside and out, it may just start working normally again.
If not, get Nokia Care to overhaul it.

Ram
Old 15th April 2010, 23:57   #6125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Damn!
I am facing this very weird problem lately on my sony ericsson w580i.
While using the gprs service, my phone frequently loses the gprs connection after varied intervals of time. The only option to get the gprs connection back is by restarting the phone. This problem has cropped up recently and there were no recent application installs. I use the opera mini browser. Otherwise the calling functions work fine and only the gprs connection is giving me trouble.
Any suggestions please.
Old 16th April 2010, 11:45   #6126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Any suggestions please.
get the phone software updated or try to get factory reset code .
Old 16th April 2010, 11:56   #6127
BHPian

Guys any idea how is Samsung I7500 and Acer Liquid, I am pretty confused between these two phones, help me out.
Old 16th April 2010, 13:23   #6128
Senior - BHPian

I have all my handsets

1.Nokia 1100 which is 6.5 year old
2.Nokia 6600 4.8 year old

even though family people or others have asked for it I never gave. I have just kept it with me. Especially the first mobile 1100 which has fond memories of Engineering days. this was ONLY problem free 1100 among sets me and my friends had during college days. It still works perfectly fine
Old 16th April 2010, 13:23   #6129
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Thanks. Tried this. but phone is still not switching on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Silica gel may work better than rice in absorbing moisture.
Thanks.Will ask her to try this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
First and foremost, do not use the phone.
As v.anand rightly points out:
Take out the battery, SIMcard and memory card and dry those things.

Wait for the mobile phone to thoroughly dry out.
Put it in a bottle with silica gel dessicant if possible.
Once fully dry inside and out, it may just start working normally again.
If not, get Nokia Care to overhaul it.

Ram
Thanks. She is not using the phone. She will visit Nokia service tomorrow for getting this sorted. Hope the motherboard is intact.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:34   #6130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I have all my handsets

1.Nokia 1100 which is 6.5 year old
2.Nokia 6600 4.8 year old

even though family people or others have asked for it I never gave. I have just kept it with me. Especially the first mobile 1100 which has fond memories of Engineering days. this was ONLY problem free 1100 among sets me and my friends had during college days. It still works perfectly fine
There was an initiative by HelpAge India and a mobile service provider sometime back, through which we can donate old (working) handsets to old-age homes.

The mobile service provider would provide these handsets (along with free talk time) to the elderly in old-age homes.

If you have no need for these old handsets, why not use them for a charitable cause.

Rohan
Old 16th April 2010, 23:50   #6131
BHPian

I am thinking of buying a new mobile. The choices are :

1) Nokia 5233

2) Nokia 5230

Both looks same but don't know about the difference in the features. Someone please tell me what's the difference in these two masterpieces ???
Old 17th April 2010, 10:17   #6132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I am thinking of buying a new mobile. The choices are :

1) Nokia 5233

2) Nokia 5230

Both looks same but don't know about the difference in the features. Someone please tell me what's the difference in these two masterpieces ???
5233 does not have GPS and 3G.

5230 has GPS and 3G (but does not support video calling).

If you can increase your budget slightly, 5800 would be the best option.

If you don't need GPS and 3G, 5530 is also a good option.

Rohan
Old 17th April 2010, 11:14   #6133
Senior - BHPian

Once upon a time there was a phone....

Guys, as some of you are already aware that i was looking for a new smart phone from here-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1742614

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1807819

My trip to dubai gave me a chance to get me a new phone for myself. i was really confused on whether to go for the vivaz or X10 or omnia.

i really dint want a nokia again or a HTC or blackberry.

from the moment, i saw the pics & reviews of the X10, i knew that this was it! my heart was set on it! i just prayed that it gets launched soon and at a affordable price. my budget was around 25-30k.

after reading lots of reviews about the X10, the main disadvantages i noticed were not of much concern to me. but frankly, i am a guy who thinks shelling out more than 25k on a phone is waste!

when i enquired about the phone in dubai, they said it costs 2999 dhirams, thats close to 40k INR. i was but obviously shocked. i decided to buy the vivaz which costs 28k INR. but when i went to the dealer, my eyes just refused to move off the X10. i badly wanted one in white!!!

and without thinking much, i just went for it. and guess, i am loving every bit of it!!!

features of the X10 can be seen here-
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mobile Phone | Social web & media phone

what i like about the phone-
* its got a huge 4 inch display with awesome video clarity
* timescape is a wonderful feature which shows all my activities (pics, messages, facebook, google, etc) in one page. i can even select a friend and it will show all my interactions with that person (call log, messages, facebook, pics of that friend on my phone, etc) in one go.
* when i click a pic of a person & if that person is already in my phonebook & has a pic of himself in the contact list, the phone automatically recognizes it is his pic & saves it by his name's tag & it will be added to timescape! wonderful feature & it actually works.
* the UI is wonderful & just how i wanted.

things i dont like-
* the cable for the charger & USB port is same. so i cannot charge my phone & connect it to my comp simultaneously.
* the camera is 8MP & good quality, but it needs a very very steady hand, else the image blurs.

thats all i can think of right now!
Old 17th April 2010, 19:48   #6134
Senior - BHPian

^^ Congratulations on the purchase. Now you have the same phone as Bebo.
(Sometime back Kareena Kapoor was interviewed by Rajeev Makhni on Cell Guru, they were discussing the same phone IIRC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
things i dont like-
* the cable for the charger & USB port is same. so i cannot charge my phone & connect it to my comp simultaneously.
The older SE phones (which had fast port connector) also had a common port for charging and connecting to PC, but when connected to PC, it got charged through the USB interface. I don't see why it should be any different for this model.

For a phone at this price, I can't believe that basic features like FM radio, video calling camera and DivX support are not being provided.

BTW, the link (or your review) is not working.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 17th April 2010 at 19:52.
Old 17th April 2010, 23:00   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
^^ Congratulations on the purchase. Now you have the same phone as Bebo.
(Sometime back Kareena Kapoor was interviewed by Rajeev Makhni on Cell Guru, they were discussing the same phone IIRC)
Lol, though i like bebo, thats not the reason for me choosing the X10.

Quote:
The older SE phones (which had fast port connector) also had a common port for charging and connecting to PC, but when connected to PC, it got charged through the USB interface. I don't see why it should be any different for this model.
yes, i checked. even in my phone, while it is connected to the PC with USB, it gets charged.

Quote:
For a phone at this price, I can't believe that basic features like FM radio, video calling camera and DivX support are not being provided.
yes, it is sad. but i never use FM (actually i hate FM) & i have never been able to use video calling from my N95. i had 3G & N95 supported video calling but i just could not find another user who has both 3G & a video calling supporting phone!

Quote:
BTW, the link (or your review) is not working.
yes, the mods have moved my post here above.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks