Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 23:43   #6211
Senior - BHPian

The N8 sounds very very promising.
12 mp camera with the biggest sensor in a phone + 28mm wide, 720 p recording with stereo sound, HDMI out, music player, free navigation..... this is going to rock! I just hope the UI is polished and if it is, apple will have a few worried faces in the office.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:46   #6212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The N8 sounds very very promising.
12 mp camera with the biggest sensor in a phone + 28mm wide, 720 p recording with stereo sound, HDMI out, music player, free navigation..... this is going to rock! I just hope the UI is polished and if it is, apple will have a few worried faces in the office.

you forgot Xenon flash <<<BIG SMILE plastered across face>>>
Old 27th April 2010, 23:56   #6213
Senior - BHPian

I am totally in awe... the new N8 rocks! The design is beautiful, the specs and the hardware even better. At 420$ before subsidies, I cant think of a better value for money phone than this.
This is going to be my next phone for sure. Awesome!
Old 28th April 2010, 09:26   #6214
Senior - BHPian

complete features of the N8 here.

superb phone & the 12MP camera with xenon flash rocks. its hard to believe that it will cost just 420$. i think pricing will be in the range of 27-30k.

still, its a steal even at that price. just hope that the symbian 3 is worth the price. and why just a 600 MHz processor? cmon nokia, give a 1 GHz & this phone will rock.

and a 1200 mAh battery? terribly insufficient.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 28th April 2010 at 09:27.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:49   #6215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
This should explain all
Blackberry vs Nokia: The Email Battle Blackberry vs Nokia: The Email Battle | Mobile Users

Basically, there is no separate data plan (aka BB plan) that you need for using Nokia Messaging. It works on any 'advanced' GPRS plan (i.e. Vodafone Mobile Connect).

I use it on VMC 199 plan and it works beautifully. Pulls very little data since it works on IMAP idle protocol.
So i guess the basic Rs.49 can be used for push email on Nokia's?
Old 28th April 2010, 12:43   #6216
Senior - BHPian

Guys my mom's bday is coming up and she really needs a change of phone. Im planning to get her one .
I was looking at the corby pro but now changed my mind and decided to go for the Nokia C6. Really like the way the phone looks and its has got querty keypad and a 5mp camera.
Any other suggestions and would also love to know the price of the same .
Old 28th April 2010, 13:01   #6217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
So i guess the basic Rs.49 can be used for push email on Nokia's?
No you cannot. Because the Rs 49 plan is Vodafone Live (basic GPRS - only for browsing). For push mail, you need Vodafone Mobile Connect (full GPRS) data plan.

The point is - unlike BlackBerry, Nokia Messaging Email doesn't require a high cost data plan. It works perfectly well on the bare minimum data plan (i.e. in my case VMC 199). I tested it for over 2 months, including 15 days of roaming usage. With 4 email accounts configured, and an average of 30 emails per day (both sending and receiving), my data counter showed approx. 2 MB data usage per day. This is of course, keeping the option of "Headers Plus" while pushing mails.

I recently upgraded to VMC 249 plan as it offers 200 mb of bundled data usage. That is quite sufficient for my mails and occasional FB/3rd party GPRS based apps.

On the VMC 199 plan, data charges are 5p/10kb. So it was proving to be slightly costly because of my other browsing usage.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 28th April 2010 at 13:13.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:33   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Guys my mom's bday is coming up and she really needs a change of phone. Im planning to get her one .
I was looking at the corby pro but now changed my mind and decided to go for the Nokia C6. Really like the way the phone looks and its has got querty keypad and a 5mp camera.
Any other suggestions and would also love to know the price of the same .
Even i am thinking of going for Nokia C6. The launch price in India is 13000.
Fantastic value for money! Now just waiting for some site to come up with a review on it.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:49   #6219
Senior - BHPian

I hope the N8's UI is drastically different and also fast. I have a 5800 and its like using a normal UI with a touch screen. Its sluggish and not built for touch screen operations.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:41   #6220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
No you cannot. Because the Rs 49 plan is Vodafone Live (basic GPRS - only for browsing). For push mail, you need Vodafone Mobile Connect (full GPRS) data plan.

The point is - unlike BlackBerry, Nokia Messaging Email doesn't require a high cost data plan. It works perfectly well on the bare minimum data plan (i.e. in my case VMC 199). I tested it for over 2 months, including 15 days of roaming usage. With 4 email accounts configured, and an average of 30 emails per day (both sending and receiving), my data counter showed approx. 2 MB data usage per day. This is of course, keeping the option of "Headers Plus" while pushing mails.

I recently upgraded to VMC 249 plan as it offers 200 mb of bundled data usage. That is quite sufficient for my mails and occasional FB/3rd party GPRS based apps.

On the VMC 199 plan, data charges are 5p/10kb. So it was proving to be slightly costly because of my other browsing usage.
Are you sure? Because I have checked my email on Nokia's with only basic 49rs grps, I think it was via the browser.

And how does one go about setting up the Push mail service? Is it via the message settings menu or some link on the browser?
Old 28th April 2010, 15:52   #6221
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used/reviewed the micromax W900 phone with 3.2" touch screen with GPS (loaded with MapMyIndia maps)? It comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 OS.

-Biju
Old 28th April 2010, 15:57   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Has anyone used/reviewed the micromax W900 phone with 3.2" touch screen with GPS (loaded with MapMyIndia maps)? It comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 OS.

-Biju
all the features seem to be good but its not a 3g phone
Old 28th April 2010, 16:31   #6223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman9393 View Post
Even i am thinking of going for Nokia C6. The launch price in India is 13000.
Fantastic value for money! Now just waiting for some site to come up with a review on it.
Me too waiting for the review and more so waiting for the phone to come to the markets. All the shops in Chennai tell me that they need a week more for the phone's to come.

13000 is real good value for money.Going to be a steal actually. Much better value for money than my N95 8bg minus the storage.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:00   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Are you sure? Because I have checked my email on Nokia's with only basic 49rs grps, I think it was via the browser.

And how does one go about setting up the Push mail service? Is it via the message settings menu or some link on the browser?
Absolutely sure. On the basic Rs 49 Vodafone Live plan, you can surely use the browser based mail services, as also Gmail app (which you can download from Gmail for mobile)

However, push email DOES NOT work on this plan.

To set up Nokia Messaging, first visit email.nokia.com through your PC and sign up. Add your email accounts there.

Either they will send you an SMS link to download the Messaging software, or visit email.nokia.com through your phone's native browser to download and install the app. That's it. You'll be set to go.

Alternatively, go to Ovi Store in your phone menu and download 'Nokia Messaging' from there.

But first, sign up and add your email accounts (which you wish to push to your phone) through your PC.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:15   #6225
BHPian

Nokia N8 looks to be an amazing phone at an attractive price at the outset, but is only set to launch post Sept. 2010. As a feature phone today, it looks unbeatable but the hardware for smart phone is disappointing. Its got an ARM 11 600 mhz processor which is outdated, no stereo speakers and bad software based on initial controversial leaked reports in the web. However, N8 looks to be worth waiting for launch and detailed reviews before jumping with excitement but the problem is its a far way away and by then the competitors also may have caught up with the features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks