Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 23:34   #6961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The HTC HD2 has a decent camera with led flash. Try it out and see what you think. Not sure how much it costs in India though.
I would not recommend this phone to anyone. I regret buying this phone. It locked me out and unable to recognize the password. The only option i had was to reset the phone and lost all my data. Neither HTC nor t-mobile has a clue about this issue and it has happened to most of the users. The battery life also is a great let down.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:29   #6962
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Any idea how can I configure Vodafone live settings for my iPhone? I have a 3GS running ios 4.01?
Old 21st September 2010, 17:31   #6963
Senior - BHPian

Been waiting for a sanely priced Android phone like the SG 3, but it seems to be a bit of a disappointment with its low res. screen and no flash. So while I wait for something better to come out, I'm considering something cheaper for the shorter term. One of the phones I'm considering is the LG GD510. Though it does not meet my needs, & its just a dumb phone, I really love its looks. However, the price difference between online stores is amazing! The cheapest I could find is on Indiatimes shopping (thru naaptol). As you can see the price quoted is 5,359 (+99 shipping). Lowest price I could find on ebay.in is 6,145 (no shipping charge). Some other sites are quoting 6,500, etc.

Anybody has any idea on what the catch could be here? Would it be a good idea to buy from that seller on Indiatimes? Indiatimes does not seem to have any way to check the sellers ratings, etc., so I am pretty apprehensive.

Lastly, would anybody know the best price this phone is selling for in offline shops (Poona, Maharashtra)?
Old 21st September 2010, 18:41   #6964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Does ANYONE have a clue WHEN Nokia would be launching E5? Its been ages! Every Nokia store says its gonna be out in 'the next month'
That's exactly why Nokia is loosing the market , too slow to meet the market demand and too slow to respond to the competition. NOkia India seem to care more for retailers helping them to finish stock of E-63 , E-72 rather then making consumers happy with E-5
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:16   #6965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Does ANYONE have a clue WHEN Nokia would be launching E5? Its been ages! Every Nokia store says its gonna be out in 'the next month'
They're known for their truth.
They never change their word. It's always "next month"
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:57   #6966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
That's exactly why Nokia is loosing the market , too slow to meet the market demand and too slow to respond to the competition. NOkia India seem to care more for retailers helping them to finish stock of E-63 , E-72 rather then making consumers happy with E-5
the e5 is actually available across multiple e-stores on ebay india for under 13k, very good VFM IMO!! here is a link:

eBay India: NEW NOKIA E5 MOBILE PHONE + 2GB CARD + WARRANTY (item 280562507529 end time 22-Sep-2010 17:30:55 IST)

Last edited by raamki : 22nd September 2010 at 09:01.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:26   #6967
Senior - BHPian

^^ It's been available in the grey markey since 2 whole months.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:49   #6968
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Apple bullies Newsday into pulling unpleasant ad off the air

Newsday is a software co. from the city of Melville, New York.
They have a newspaper application for iPhone/iPod/iPad.

This Newsday advertisement, shows the Apple iPad (whilst running the newspaper app), being used to swat a fly, like a real newspaper.

The iPad's crude plain glass shatters ignominously into jagged shards.
that too, in these days of shatterproof, scratchproof Corning Gorilla Glass (used in Motorola Droid, Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8).

Turns out Apple's pride and self-esteem was also damaged.
Apple Inc. were so upset and angry to see the ad, they threatened to rusticate all Newsday apps from the iTunes store, unless Newsday removed the ad. Newsday of course got bullied into compliance and removed the ad.

This ad may soon disappear from YouTube, so see it while it still survives.

About Gorilla Glass
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2026742
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:17   #6969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The iPad's crude plain glass shatters ignominously into jagged shards.
that too, in these days of shatterproof, scratchproof Corning Gorilla Glass (used in Motorola Droid, Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N8).

Turns out Apple's pride and self-esteem was also damaged.
Apple Inc. were so upset and angry to see the ad, they threatened to rusticate all Newsday apps from the iTunes store, unless Newsday removed the ad. Newsday of course got bullied into compliance and removed the ad.
Oh come on, dont we know that the shattering bit is doctored?

Check out this link for glass shattering on a Droid

Droid X - Dropped and shattered the glass

Here is one Video of iPad getting beaten by a baseball bat & yet there is no shattering

Old 23rd September 2010, 03:36   #6970
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Animated movie made using a Nokia N8

The making of the movie, "Dot"
Aardman Animations Ltd. of Bristol, UK, are an Academy Award-winning British animation studio. They're famous for their 2006 film, "Flushed Away".

Here's an animated film, "Dot" made by Aardman Animations Ltd.
The whole movie was shot using a Nokia N8.

They used Cellscope technology. They leveraged the 12 megapixel 1:1.183" sensor and the Carl Zeiss Tessar lens for high quality shooting.

The protagonist character is just 9 mm tall ! Autofocus macro shooting is a must. They had to be high-precision, frame-perfect and use the full resolution of the Nokia N8.

What is CellScope?
A medical team at the University of California in Berkeley modded a Nokia cellphone to become an extremely inexpensive portable microscope.

The fitting, straps to a Nokia smartphone. It can be used to diagnose potentially fatal diseases in blood and sputum samples.

Doctors in remote areas can take high-res images of blood samples and then transmit the photos to experts at medical centers. The microscope can pick out objects barely 1.2 microns across – red blood cells are typically 6 to 8 micrometers across.

Images of malaria-infected blood captured with the cameraphone are potentially good enough to diagnose the disease. The system could also diagnose sickle-cell anaemia from blood samples. Fluorescent images of a stained sputum smear were sufficient to identify the presence of tuberculosis.

The researchers even exploited Symbian's computing power to begin post-processing of the images -- Cell counting and Annotating images, e.g. to point out a problem, to be answered by a doctor at a central hospital.

We document our lives, taking photos and videos. The camera phone is taken for granted for this. Amazed at the medical use of the phone.
This then is "CellScope".
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:16   #6971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
the e5 is actually available across multiple e-stores on ebay india for under 13k, very good VFM IMO!! here is a link:

eBay India: NEW NOKIA E5 MOBILE PHONE + 2GB CARD + WARRANTY (item 280562507529 end time 22-Sep-2010 17:30:55 IST)
If you see the e-bay items they are gray market imports with 1 year seller warranty and not Nokia warranty which means nothing.

Nokia has product ready but Nokia India is not launching officially in Indian market for reasons best known to them. Probably they want to keep the flock of distributors happy by helping them to finish inventory of earlier models.

Nokia is No1 in India due to vast dealer network and they are too reluctant to do anything which makes dealers unhappy , Consumer be damned.
Old 23rd September 2010, 15:26   #6972
Senior - BHPian

Nokia India posted on twitter that they'd be releasing the E5 by september end.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:23   #6973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
They leveraged the 12 megapixel 1:1.183" sensor and the Carl Zeiss Tessar lens for high quality shooting.
It's actually 1/1.83, not 1.183.
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:18   #6974
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Need some ideas for a mobile phone handset for mom (65 yrs old).
a. Large letters and easy to read. She has +2 eyesight and doesnt keep her specs next to her.
b. Rugged - will be dropped and manhandled all the time
c. Cheap - like 2k - 3k max
d. Excellent reception - at her age, want to make sure she's always
reachable even if the phone's rolled under a seat in the car or such -
the current Sagem loses network under the car seat!
e. Nokia if preferable for shared chargers (she has an old pin nokia also)
f. Loud. She is liable to forget phone in the room while she cooks - so
loud ringer is important!

Don't want camera. Good battery life is immaterial as mom is a
stickler for charging the set.
Music is immaterial as well. Dual sim can be nice - its more like a dont care.

mucho thanks. one is samsung 2370 which is an option. others?
Old 24th September 2010, 19:31   #6975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

Need some ideas for a mobile phone handset for mom (65 yrs old).
a. Large letters and easy to read. She has +2 eyesight and doesnt keep her specs next to her.
b. Rugged - will be dropped and manhandled all the time
c. Cheap - like 2k - 3k max
d. Excellent reception - at her age, want to make sure she's always
reachable even if the phone's rolled under a seat in the car or such -
the current Sagem loses network under the car seat!
e. Nokia if preferable for shared chargers (she has an old pin nokia also)
f. Loud. She is liable to forget phone in the room while she cooks - so
loud ringer is important!

Don't want camera. Good battery life is immaterial as mom is a
stickler for charging the set.
Music is immaterial as well. Dual sim can be nice - its more like a dont care.

mucho thanks. one is samsung 2370 which is an option. others?
Faced the same dilemma last year. Buy the most basic Nokia and it should fulfill all the criteria mentioned above. I bought the Nokia 1210 or something like that last year. It cost me 1400 bucks and has served well. Loud ringer, torch, and a battery life of 10 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks