Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 13:07   #6856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I spent some time(20-25 mins) with Xperia X10 today and i was impressed. Its a very good phone. All the requirements are fulfilled like the cam, media player, email, social networking and as a phone too. I particularly liked the Timescape mode.

If not for the 'high court' order, i would have got the x10 instead of i4. You may give it a shot. Highly recommendable.
Please note that it is still on Android 1.6, when the whole world is moving towards 2.2. Also, there is no multi-touch on X10 and it can't be fixed with a software update as it's a hardware limitation.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:29   #6857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Please note that it is still on Android 1.6, when the whole world is moving towards 2.2. Also, there is no multi-touch on X10 and it can't be fixed with a software update as it's a hardware limitation.
So will it not be updated to 2.2? If one wants to can it be done? Hope it has specs to match.

looking at the requirement posted by mail4ajo, multi-touch won't be used often. Though i agree it should have been there, but for me its not a deal breaker for what mail4ajo's relative want since cam, player, phone or emailing doesn't require multi-touch.

i would have suggested Captivate a.k.a Galaxy, but it has already been given a no signal from mail4ajo's relative. Another option is HTC Aria or Nexus one

Last edited by chevelle : 27th August 2010 at 13:36.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:07   #6858
BHPian

Quote:
So will it not be updated to 2.2? If one wants to can it be done? Hope it has specs to match.

looking at the requirement posted by mail4ajo, multi-touch won't be used often. Though i agree it should have been there, but for me its not a deal breaker for what mail4ajo's relative want since cam, player, phone or emailing doesn't require multi-touch.

i would have suggested Captivate a.k.a Galaxy, but it has already been given a no signal from mail4ajo's relative. Another option is HTC Aria or Nexus one
It'll be updated to 2.2, but the question is when? Sony hasn't been that active in releasing OS firmware updates as soon as the others are. It has awesome hardware specs with a 4 inch screen and all that, but it's not being utilized to the max. If I were to buy a smartphone, multi-touch would be a deal breaker for me as internet surfing will be a pain without it.

And if cam, player, phone and emailing are the only things that you require, there are a lot of phones under 10k that can do them pretty well .
Old 27th August 2010, 14:41   #6859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It'll be updated to 2.2, but the question is when? Sony hasn't been that active in releasing OS firmware updates as soon as the others are. It has awesome hardware specs with a 4 inch screen and all that, but it's not being utilized to the max. If I were to buy a smartphone, multi-touch would be a deal breaker for me as internet surfing will be a pain without it.

And if cam, player, phone and emailing are the only things that you require, there are a lot of phones under 10k that can do them pretty well .
For the update, it will come. If not from sony, the users will indeed jump the gun without sony's help.

Its not my requirements. So i have no say in how much Ajo's relative is willing to spend and whether she requires a multi-touch or not. As i said, even i would prefer a multi-touch, but its not for me. I just suggested a phone keeping in mind the requirements mentioned.

All the above listed requirements is easily taken care of in my w580i too or for that matter in any chinese phone too.

Nevertheless, if you consider x10 not a suitable phone for requirements listed, why don't you suggest one. mail4ajo will have more options to choose from.

And i am not even sure if mail4ajo's relative would even be concerned about what OS version it is running as long as her job gets done. Its we mobile lovers who are more interested in all these stuff.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th August 2010 at 14:47.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:43   #6860
BHPian

Quote:
For the update, it will come. If not from sony, the users will indeed jump the gun without sony's help.

Its not my requirements. So i have no say in how much Ajo's relative is willing to spend and whether she requires a multi-touch or not. As i said, even i would prefer a multi-touch, but its not for me. I just suggested a phone keeping in mind the requirements mentioned.

All the above listed requirements is easily taken care of in my w580i too or for that matter in any chinese phone too.

Nevertheless, if you consider x10 not a suitable phone for requirements listed, why don't you suggest one. mail4ajo will have more options to choose from.

And i am not even sure if mail4ajo's relative would even be concerned about what OS version it is running as long as her job gets done. Its we mobile lovers who are more interested in all these stuff.
You are taking it personally mate . I am not saying that what you said was wrong, I am just highlighting what the negative aspects of a phone are. I did say that X10 has an awesome hardware, but it's not being used to the max. And multi-touch IMO is a major deal-breaker for most people (including me) I know, hence highlighting that as well. And yes at the end of the day I am trying to suggest the best possible with least amount spent, hence the last statement about phone, cam and mail being present on a phone lesser than 10k as well.

As far as OS upgrades are related, if that was to be the case wouldn't we have already seen a 2.1 ported to X10? And how many users are willing to root their phone (and void warranty) and use a different ROM? Not many, if you ask me. Unless Cyanogen mod is out, I wouldn't vouch for an X10.

And as far as the work getting done part is concerned, only ajo can answer it.

Again, as I suggested to you on the other thread, I'd say the same thing to Ajo. If your relative wants to tinker around with OS to get the most (not that it wont work out of the box), then take the android route, else stick to an iPhone. It's simple, straight forward and works awesome out of the box. If you want to get an android phone that is not an SGS, then definitely the Desire. If it seems big, next best option is the legend, amazingly build and runs sense. If you want a physical qwerty, get the motorola milestone. If you want the awesomeness of SGS but don't want android, you can get the wave with 3.3" SAMOLED screen and better build than SGS.

So Ajo bhai, more details will help us suggest the right phones .

Last edited by HellwratH : 27th August 2010 at 15:45.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:23   #6861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are taking it personally mate . I am not saying that what you said was wrong, I am just highlighting what the negative aspects of a phone are. I did say that X10 has an awesome hardware, but it's not being used to the max. And multi-touch IMO is a major deal-breaker for most people (including me) I know, hence highlighting that as well. And yes at the end of the day I am trying to suggest the best possible with least amount spent, hence the last statement about phone, cam and mail being present on a phone lesser than 10k as well.

As far as OS upgrades are related, if that was to be the case wouldn't we have already seen a 2.1 ported to X10? And how many users are willing to root their phone (and void warranty) and use a different ROM? Not many, if you ask me. Unless Cyanogen mod is out, I wouldn't vouch for an X10.

No bud, i am not taking it personal. So don't worry. I am not gonna run after you carrying a fire stick.

I did appreciate your reply on the other thread and i am not sure you noticed it, but i updated on iphone thread that i pre-ordered iphone 4. And when i pre-ordered it, that's when i played with x10 and i was impressed. And since it was fresh of my mind, i just recommended it to Ajo.

For everything else, i do agree with you. And yes, while i am among those who tries to go the mod route, the recent purchase of iphone 4 is not meant to be that way since it won't be used by me and that's why the query on another thread.

Regarding rooting of phone, most of the people here are doing that the moment they lay their hands on Androids. Its because while jailbreak is official, they still have the option of going back to factory settings and still claim warranty without any issues.

I have even bricked sony c905a which helped me get wi-fi, full mp3 ringtones, faster menu access among other things. Its still inside warranty. Also i am not aware of new models launched there, so won't opine on those without using them.

I played yesterday with BB Torch, HTC Aria, Iphone 4, X10 and Captivate. I am not sure if the first two are available there or not. While i am not a BB fan, i do recommend Aria and X10 atleast since Captivate a.k.a SGS is out of running.

Sorry if you feel i was hitting on you while i was not.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th August 2010 at 18:24.
Old 29th August 2010, 10:08   #6862
BANNED

Cynogen mod will be out. No doubt there and even the 2.2 version soon.

No to 1.6?. On the a contrary I would go for a phone with older version(and hence lower cost due to few takers) since most of the phones are capable of upgrading till 2.2(Froyo).

Froyo is considered Eclair lite in few circles and should be available on most phones soon. Many companies must be in the process of getting their phones upgraded since it is doable - just a tradeoff between having to hear such negative feedback versus spending some resources for the upgrade.

On the other hand, 3.0 and ++ versions (ginger bread and honeycomb?) need bigger RAM(and screens - read tablets) and hence may find it difficult to fit on many of the best android phones in the market today, but let us see how it turns out even on the 3.0.

Vijay
Old 29th August 2010, 11:20   #6863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
@mail4ajo, if she don't want Samsung Galaxy S then go for the Desire eyes closed, much better in every aspect than an iPhone 3GS. Battery life will be as good (or bad) as any smartphones in the market. One thing I've noticed that initial 1 or 2 weeks the battery life is pretty bad and after few recharges the battery starts performing much better. But still you'll need to have a charger handy. Normally you'll need to recharge almost every alternate day or everyday for heavy usage.
And how is it 'much better' than iPhone 3GS in every aspect??? Blanket statements like this don't add value to the forum but an informed opinion does.
iOS still has an edge over the Android when it comes to the overall interface and usability and the Apple app store is yet to be beaten and won't be in the near future. If your only argument 'for' Android is that it is open source, can you please elaborate how does it affects you or me as an end user? How does it makes my experience with the OS better? Bear in mind that I am not a developer coding for the Android.
The android graphics are still choppy and each manufacturer has their own version of the interface on top which I am afraid to say isnt fully optimized. I am not a fan of Samsung widgets or even the HTC sense interface because it isnt as intuitive.

And lest I forget, iPhone 3GS is also an iPod and none of the Androids, even the latest and greatest are patch when it comes to SQ.

Quote:
Without multi touch support I am not sure how would it fare assuming that it indeed is upgraded to 2.2 Froyo. The specs are not an issue.

Quote:
Have you used your phone ever for email when you say that multi touch isnt needed?? Keep in mind that you arent working on a 17 or 20 inch screen and if you have to read email or a website on a pint sized (relative) screen, you will straining your eyes for nothing. You may be able to double tap on the screen to set the size for the screen but multi touch pinch zoom gives you the extra lee way of selecting the size of the text yourselves. That apart without multi touch a lot of other gestures in the OS will simply not work.

Also when you have a full touch device, the precision and accuracy of the screen matters a lot and iPhone by far has the most precise touch screen on a phone today, closely followed by Motorola.

Quote:
If I have to buy an Android phone today, I would either go for the Samsung Galaxy S for the most cutting edge hardware or the Motorola Droid or the XT720.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th August 2010 at 12:02. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:04   #6864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Have you used your phone ever for email when you say that multi touch isnt needed?? Keep in mind that you arent working on a 17 or 20 inch screen and if you have to read email or a website on a pint sized (relative) screen, you will straining your eyes for nothing. You may be able to double tap on the screen to set the size for the screen but multi touch pinch zoom gives you the extra lee way of selecting the size of the text yourselves. That apart without multi touch a lot of other gestures in the OS will simply not work.

Also when you have a full touch device, the precision and accuracy of the screen matters a lot and iPhone by far has the most precise touch screen on a phone today, closely followed by Motorola.
I own a 2g and 3gs and soon to get iphone4, so i do know how it works. Please don't take others for granted and make unreasonable statement without knowing my priorities or my usage pattern. FYI, i have used email in c905a(i own it) and n71x(my friend's) too which has pointer style browsing pattern and i was totally cool about it too. Its all about getting adjusted to the phone you use and how quickly you get to know your phone

While you may make a big deal about multi-touch, i for sure won't. Each device has its own set of problems. Its up to us to prioritize and see which one we can compromise on. I have still not come across a phone that is the best.

I have used Droid and it has very bad touch screen response. I would compare it with Tilt 2 of HTC. I felt Galaxy S and X10 had better response. I still haven't got my hands on Droid 2 which i will soon, till then i will hold my opinion.

And while this is entirely my opinion, you are free to disagree, but not lets make it personal by taking pot shots at our usage patterns.

P.S: I also disagree with you about SQ of iphone 3gs. My w580i/c905a is better in SQ than 3gs. But you are entitled to your opinion as much as I am, so no issues.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th August 2010 at 13:10.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:18   #6865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a 2g and 3gs and soon to get iphone4, so i do know how it works. Please don't take others for granted and make unreasonable statement without knowing my priorities or my usage pattern. FYI, i have used email in c905a(i own it) and n71x(my friend's) too which has pointer style browsing pattern and i was totally cool about it too. Its all about getting adjusted to the phone you use and how quickly you get to know your phone.
Yes but in this day and age I dont want to adjust for the technology, I want technology to adjust for me. You may agree to disagree here.

Quote:
While you may make a big deal about multi-touch, i for sure won't. Each device has its own set of problems. Its up to us to prioritize and see which one we can compromise on. I have still not come across a phone that is the best.
It is a big deal even for the manufacturer given that apart from X10, all the other high end androids support multi touch. A multi touch also gives you an opportunity to implement multiple gesture that may come with future upgrades. Again you may agree to disagree.

Quote:
I have used Droid and it has very bad touch screen response. I would compare it with Tilt 2 of HTC. I felt Galaxy S and X10 had better response. I still haven't got my hands on Droid 2 which i will soon, till then i will hold my opinion.
You can look at the test results here
Capacitive screens test round 1 ? iPhone, HTC Droid Eris, Motorola Milestone and Google Nexus One

I am speaking out of my own experience with Motorola's latest XT720.

Quote:
And while this is entirely my opinion, you are free to disagree, but not lets make it personal by taking pot shots at our usage patterns.
No I wasn't and if you felt like it I am sorry. I just wanted to emphasize multi touch has real value.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:48   #6866
BHPian

from personal experience on my nexus one which supports multitouch as of 2.2 - multi-touch is great but not critical. I enjoy using it when browsing and looking at pics - but wouldn't miss it much as double tapping works just as fine. Ofcourse a couple of months later and i would be addicted to it and there won't be any going back :-)
Old 29th August 2010, 13:51   #6867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Yes but in this day and age I dont want to adjust for the technology, I want technology to adjust for me. You may agree to disagree here.

You can look at the test results here
Capacitive screens test round 1 ? iPhone, HTC Droid Eris, Motorola Milestone and Google Nexus One

I am speaking out of my own experience with Motorola's latest XT720.
In a way, you still are adjusting to technology. Especially in a confined environment provided by Apple. Apple, since the inception of iphone has been controlling as to what we do with the phone, be it sms, mms, bluetooth or call. So, its you or me, we still are being defined/restricted by how the manufacturers treat us. And they are one's bringing in the technology. While they have included good techniques like multi-touch, video conferencing we are still way behind in how technology adjusts to our needs.

And from the results, it looks like i was correct. Droid indeed has bad touchscreen. I am sorry if you misunderstood, but i was referring to Moto Droid which is available here with Verizon Wireless. I haven't used the XT720 and neither the HTC Droid Eris to comment on that.

Also a point to note, in Jan 2010 when they did this test, they used 2G to compare with others. Why not use 3G/3GS? Something fishy?
Old 30th August 2010, 18:11   #6868
BHPian

Got XE X10 yday. Everything worked like a charm including wifi. Installed few apps and will be installing offline maps soon. No lag even when playing HD. Happy till now and I am sure, will be happier by the end of sept (after 2.1)

g
Old 31st August 2010, 08:56   #6869
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I own a Samsung SGH-F480i model mobile phone and have been lately experiencing a couple of issues.
1) The memory card detection is lost after a week of usage. Reinserting the card in the slot and powering up the device and it start reading the memory card.
2) I am unable to delete the detected bluetooth devices. Uptil now I can see 10 users connection which I am unable to delete so that I can see new devices.

Can some help in resolving these issues?
Old 31st August 2010, 18:53   #6870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

I own a Samsung SGH-F480i model mobile phone and have been lately experiencing a couple of issues.
1) The memory card detection is lost after a week of usage. Reinserting the card in the slot and powering up the device and it start reading the memory card.
2) I am unable to delete the detected bluetooth devices. Uptil now I can see 10 users connection which I am unable to delete so that I can see new devices.

Can some help in resolving these issues?
Problem No.1 is due to loose soldering joint at the card reader base. Any service centre should be able to set it right

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks