Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 19:49   #6871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And how is it 'much better' than iPhone 3GS in every aspect??? Blanket statements like this don't add value to the forum but an informed opinion does.
Very right, I do agree with the point. Now probably you can also go back and check your statement to mail4ajo's question before my reply .
[Please take the above statement in jest not as a rhetoric]
Quote:
iOS still has an edge over the Android when it comes to the overall interface and usability and the Apple app store is yet to be beaten and won't be in the near future. If your only argument 'for' Android is that it is open source, can you please elaborate how does it affects you or me as an end user? How does it makes my experience with the OS better? Bear in mind that I am not a developer coding for the Android.
The android graphics are still choppy and each manufacturer has their own version of the interface on top which I am afraid to say isnt fully optimized. I am not a fan of Samsung widgets or even the HTC sense interface because it isnt as intuitive.
Hmmm let's see if I can add some 1 or 2 paisa of value to the discussion.
First problem with iphone that it have very restricted access to anything and everything. You can't even increase the memory size to what you like. I love to have as many memory as possible. I want to keep/carry 2-3 diff memory cards filled with data which I should be able to access when I want even without my laptops.
One of my primary need was that the phone should be able to play my Hi-Def videos(720p, mkv, mp4 etc) without having to resize them. iPhone doesn't help in there either. The overall experience of playing media on iPhone 3G/S is nothing compared to Samsung Galaxy S. You've to see it to believe it. [I'm not comparing iPhone 4 at all as I've not seen one. And also is anyway out of bound as of now due to the obscene price in India at 45k+ on grey.]
iPhone don't allow me to play my flacs too. It only like to play mp3 and apple loseless. Another app might be there to convert them but no thanks, don;t have that much of time. I do like my iPod for playing music but I would really love to have more file format support. But apple being apple is too restrictive. And why do I need to sync my music with only my computer, why can't I use any computer? [Ok, that's not exactly an iPhone issue but as a whole iPod issue but anyway you talked about the music player].
Can I just plug in my iPhone in any computer and copy the required files without having to install iTunes? I can't. I can't even create my own folders (not talking about app folder) if I'm not wrong.
iPhone user interface does look and feel good but I really don't feel that Androids are lagging anyway. I like the widgets and the homescreens and to me they are much better and easier way to organize my phone. iPhone doesn't really help on that front.
About the usability front, try using Swype once and you'll never go back to the tapping of the keyboard. iPhone have ShapeWriter but doesn't work that well.
So I guess that was my two rupees of value add to the discussion. Ball is in your court now. And BTW, I'm using apple products (and getting one more of their product soon ), so I'm not exactly an Apple hater.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 31st August 2010 at 19:52.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:06   #6872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Can I just plug in my iPhone in any computer and copy the required files without having to install iTunes? I can't. I can't even create my own folders (not talking about app folder) if I'm not wrong.
One of the reasons that I have to keep away from Apple stuff inspite of being gifted an unlocked 3GS by my Bro-in-law. They are no doubt better but we are so used that change is very difficult. Too many things I need to change to start using, formats etc

I just wish Nokia comes with some nice smartphone like iphone that I can upgrade to from my E72. I am pinning my hopes on the N8 or a future model.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:34   #6873
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using Samsung Galaxy 3 (the cheaper one, not the Galaxy S) ? Please share your experience.

It looks like a nice Android phone to begin with for first time smart phone users.

Rohan
Old 1st September 2010, 15:52   #6874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Anybody using Samsung Galaxy 3 (the cheaper one, not the Galaxy S) ? Please share your experience.

It looks like a nice Android phone to begin with for first time smart phone users.

Rohan
You can have a look at the Samsung Galaxy 5 smart phones also , I saw some. This phone is a couple of thousand rupees cheaper thens the Galaxy 3 series.
Old 1st September 2010, 18:43   #6875
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is there ANY news on the proposed Nokia E5? I've been putting away my phone purchase for too long now, in anticipation of this one's launch.

Also, can people please suggest an Android phone for a 1st time user, which has both touchscreen and QWERTY? Budget is upto 15K.
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:26   #6876
Senior - BHPian

Update for all ye E72 holders- Nokia has released firmware v51.018, I just updated to it OTA. Its a ~9MB download, and the most visible changes are a new browser, new version of quick office and smartconnect. It is dated 5th August.

Mind you, I changed my phones product code- so you may not get this update on a stock Indian version. My previous firmware was 31.023.
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:36   #6877
BHPian

I use a Sony ericsson P1i. Its just an awesome phone. Have been with it for the past 2 yrs now and it has been an ultimate companion. Listen to radio, watch movies, take gr8 pic, mp3 player, instant update of my documents, Excel sheets to track my financial account, wifi all the while at office, Skype...
Uses are unlimited and iam just not ready to part from it. Not a single scratch since then.
Looking for an ultimate replacement and i wonder which phone. Any help?
I am the kind who will use all the features and more a present phone can provide.
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:32   #6878
BHPian

I currently use Sony Ericsson G900 UIQ touch phone. But, with my year old daughter takes liking to the touch phone and I am thinking of replacing this touch phone with a simple (yet feature rich non-touch phone).
I am not a fan of Nokia phones - as I do not like their Design at all. Having used SE K750i, G900 and W910, I am pleased with their performance.

I am not ruling out Samsung and LG phones. These two are offering feature rich phones at bargain prices. But, not sure of their reliability, performance, etc.

So, could wise men / women suggest me good replacement to my existing phone?
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:36   #6879
BHPian

I use SE P1i and lemme tell you that this is one of the greatest business phones, i have ever used. Have used it for the past 3yrs and minor issues have started to show up. Hence, planning a replacement.

Please let me know if it is worth waiting for Windows Phone 7 (Due to be released in Nov) or buy E72 ?

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:52   #6880
Senior - BHPian

Any review on Nokia 5230 and Nokia E63?

How are they two? E63 is around $110 while 5230 is $20 more.

Which is good. Requirements are not specific. Most of the time it will be used for calls only, very less use of wi-fi and other features

please advice.
Old 3rd September 2010, 06:53   #6881
Team-BHP Support

Samsung wave in white casing?

Quote:
@mail4jo... Why not go for the real deal, the iPhone 3GS which will fall under her budget? If not the iphone I would recommend the Samsung Wave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Galaxy S is a better option but if there is some personal opinion then samsung wave is the one, looking for nokia, N900 could be a option as well.
All, is Wave available in any shades other than that grey? Any way to get one in white?

This requirement is for a girl, who is otherwise looking to go with Nokia C6 / N97 due to the looks alone (As they have white casing) and i believe they are not at all worth the price when compared to wave.

Old 3rd September 2010, 10:28   #6882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Any review on Nokia 5230 and Nokia E63?

How are they two? E63 is around $110 while 5230 is $20 more.

Which is good. Requirements are not specific. Most of the time it will be used for calls only, very less use of wi-fi and other features

please advice.
I purchased Nokia 5230 recently and I am satisfied with it.

It lacks some features, but is still VFM at 7.5K (in Bangalore).

Don't expect iphone like intuitive UI in Nokia touch screen phones. Also the touch screen, being resistive, is not that responsive. You have to really poke it hard. It is not a touch screen, it is a poke screen.

Pros - battery backup is good, call clarity is good, GPS reception is decent, pre-loaded maps are good (at least for big cities), music quality is good.

Cons - bulky and heavy, mono speaker is not that loud, supplied handsfree is crappy, UI lags and hangs sometimes, no wifi, no video calling camera though handset is 3G enabled.

Anything in particular you want to know about 5230 ?

Rohan
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:09   #6883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I purchased Nokia 5230 recently and I am satisfied with it.

It lacks some features, but is still VFM at 7.5K (in Bangalore).

Don't expect iphone like intuitive UI in Nokia touch screen phones. Also the touch screen, being resistive, is not that responsive. You have to really poke it hard. It is not a touch screen, it is a poke screen.

Pros - battery backup is good, call clarity is good, GPS reception is decent, pre-loaded maps are good (at least for big cities), music quality is good.

Cons - bulky and heavy, mono speaker is not that loud, supplied handsfree is crappy, UI lags and hangs sometimes, no wifi, no video calling camera though handset is 3G enabled.

Anything in particular you want to know about 5230 ?

Rohan
That's some crazy review Rohan. Loved it.

Thanks for the info. Was sufficient to cancel buying it. While it has a difference of Rs. 2000 here, it still isn't worth for what the cons you have mentioned. Would have bought it if it had atleast a wi-fi. Did u try e63?
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:36   #6884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
That's some crazy review Rohan. Loved it.

Thanks for the info. Was sufficient to cancel buying it. While it has a difference of Rs. 2000 here, it still isn't worth for what the cons you have mentioned. Would have bought it if it had atleast a wi-fi. Did u try e63?
No idea about E63.

I can suggest another phone for you - Nokia XM 5530. It has some of the features which are missing in 5230.

Pros - less bulky and heavy (compared to 5230), stereo speakers, XpressMusic branded, supplied handsfree is good, wifi present, better camera.

Cons - slightly smaller display compared to 5230 (though resolution is same), no GPS, no 3G.

Price of 5530 should be in 9K range.

You could also have a look at the latest Samsung Android phones - Galaxy 3 and Galaxy 5. Galaxy 3 offers great features for its price.

Rohan
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:02   #6885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can suggest another phone for you - Nokia XM 5530. It has some of the features which are missing in 5230.
Though I'm no Nokia fan, this was one of the phones I was considering, esp. since it is a smart phone and not a dumb phone like the Samsungs, LG and HTC in this range. However, I completely backed off when I saw sample pics taken from the phone, in reviews. The camera specs - 3 MP with autofocus is practical joke by Nokia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks