Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 12:07   #7021
Senior - BHPian

And finally....

News Headlines (Nokia starts shipment of N8 model)
Old 1st October 2010, 12:50   #7022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
^^ Where did you hear that from? I did read an article some time ago at GSM arena that Samsung was having trouble keeping up with the demand for AMOLED/S AMOLED screens.
I read about this from a Journalist on Twitter. He says that the Wave and Galaxy S will not be available in retail from December.

He also said that there will be a new phone to replace the Wave and it will come with a bigger screen and a S-LCD screen ( this is similar to the S-AMOLED technology and is developed by a JV between Sony and Samsung. The new Sony phones will also use this screen ).

He also said talked about the rumours that all of Samsung's Super AMOLED screens for 2011 are sold out to Apple ( this may mean that the Iphone 5 will have a S- AMOLED screen ). However, he did mention that these were just rumours so far.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:55   #7023
BHPian

^^ I do believe that these are just rumours. I may be wrong though. Some good phones coming down the line have already announced they will be sporting AMOLED screens (Nokia N8 and C7 for example). If the screen is so much in demand then it obviously makes sense to expand prouction of the screen or cut supplies to third parties rather than killing your bestsellers.

As for Apple their retina display is gorgeous in itself so don't know why they would rush off to replace that with S AMOLED. Specially when Apple leverages stuff like this as marketing tools to stand out. Cost could be one factor though. I remember reading that the dsiplay on the iphone4 is its biggest cost component (the total cost of producing an iphone4 is $190 and the retina display alone costs $30).
Old 1st October 2010, 14:25   #7024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Could you tell me if its worth buying a Nokia for the lifetime free turn by turn navigation as compared to an Android device? Haven't really used GPS on a phone yet.
I have purchased a Nokia 5230 sometime back. It came pre-loaded with maps of major cities. The screen is an impressive 3.2 inch touch screen with 640x360 resolution. It came with a car stand for mounting on the dashboard / windsheild.

The GPS works quite well, even in a moving car. The turn by turn voice navigation is quite useful, especially if you are driving alone. The navigation software even recalculates the route if you choose to divert from the suggested route. Apart from Nokia, I don't think any other mobile comes with lifetime free voice navigation.

It is real value for money. At 7.5k, I would have purchased this even as a standalone navigation device. The mobile phone, music player, camera etc are all extra for me.

I have used this device only inside cities. Not sure how it would perform on the highways.

Rohan
Old 1st October 2010, 14:31   #7025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
As for Apple their retina display is gorgeous in itself so don't know why they would rush off to replace that with S AMOLED. Specially when Apple leverages stuff like this as marketing tools to stand out. Cost could be one factor though.
I think battery life is another factor. The AMOLED and S-AMOLED screens give much better battery life than the other screens. But yeah, we need to wait till there is official confirmation of these rumours. I doubt Samsung will stop making their best selling Smartphone in favour of supplying screens to Apple so i will take this rumour with a pinch of salt .
Old 1st October 2010, 17:50   #7026
Team-BHP Support

New phone budget 15K

I own a Nokia 6265 CDMA phone. It cost me 15000, and overall pretty low quality. Nokia service centers do not want to touch CDMA phones, and I have had to get part replacements from outside once the 2 year warranty got over.
Finally this phone is giving more troubles, and I am tired of fixing this and that.
Time for a new phone.
Nov 1st number portability comes, and I can finally go in for a new GSM phone.

MY requirements are
1. Windows mobile or Android OS - I have found these two to be the most adaptable. This removes Nokia from the list
2. GPS
3. WIFI
4. Video recording(720p will be nice!)
5. Motion sensor/accelerometer
6. Good processor speed, I do not like slow phones\
7. Good quality and after sale support
Price top - 15000

I looked at Micromax W900 wifi GPS phone. It costs 6500 in the market(7100 MRP) and for the price is true VFM. But poking around online review sites revealed lot of issues with overall quality and service.

I am a bit apprehensive about Nokia, partly because Nokia Ovi suite software really sucks. Even simple things become complicated, and I hate "dumbing down" features present in the current gen of Nokia softwares.

I am expecting a lot more control over the phone with windows mobile 6.1 or Android OS.
But most phones I find are 25K+

I can stretch to 20K if something really good is there, that is the upper limit of my budget, but ideally I would like to get a phone for cheaper. I can forego GPS and motion sensor thing if it pushes phones out of budget, but both these features will be real nice to have.

I am more attracted to Windows mobile because there are some real nice apps out there for free which will allow me to map and use openstreetmap maps. I do a lot of openstreetmap mapping, and getting a windows phone will allow me to easily run the mapping map, record trails and map.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:35   #7027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
MY requirements are
1. Windows mobile or Android OS - I have found these two to be the most adaptable. This removes Nokia from the list
2. GPS
3. WIFI
4. Video recording(720p will be nice!)
5. Motion sensor/accelerometer
6. Good processor speed, I do not like slow phones\
7. Good quality and after sale support
Price top - 15000
If you can compromise on point 1 and 2, Samsung Wave fits the bill perfectly. Consider it at least before you take the plunge.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:05   #7028
BHPian

Quote:
I looked at Micromax W900 wifi GPS phone. It costs 6500 in the market(7100 MRP) and for the price is true VFM. But poking around online review sites revealed lot of issues with overall quality and service.
I interned at Micromax and was using the first prototype that had Windows 6.5 in it for around two months. It is a great package at a great price. The free map my india maps itself cost a lot.
The only drawback is that the touch screen is not as good as the latest phones. But within a day or two, you get used to it.
Service I cant really comment on as I was with the R&D team. But at Rs6500 I would give it a shot.
Old 1st October 2010, 19:42   #7029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I have purchased a Nokia 5230 sometime back. It came pre-loaded with maps of major cities. The screen is an impressive 3.2 inch touch screen with 640x360 resolution. It came with a car stand for mounting on the dashboard / windsheild.

The GPS works quite well, even in a moving car. The turn by turn voice navigation is quite useful, especially if you are driving alone. The navigation software even recalculates the route if you choose to divert from the suggested route. Apart from Nokia, I don't think any other mobile comes with lifetime free voice navigation.

It is real value for money. At 7.5k, I would have purchased this even as a standalone navigation device. The mobile phone, music player, camera etc are all extra for me.

I have used this device only inside cities. Not sure how it would perform on the highways.

Rohan
Thanks a lot dude. I do hope Ovi maps is useful for highways too, as half its utility for me might be on the highways. I'm considering the 5235 (better looks), but Nokia has chosen not to include a car stand and has included useless music access instead. Could you possibly comment on the camera? A couple of sample pics would be really useful, to compare phones. Could not find any online.

Quote:
I own a Nokia 6265 CDMA phone. It cost me 15000, and overall pretty low quality. Nokia service centers do not want to touch CDMA phones, and I have had to get part replacements from outside once the 2 year warranty got over.
Finally this phone is giving more troubles, and I am tired of fixing this and that.
Time for a new phone.
Nov 1st number portability comes, and I can finally go in for a new GSM phone.
Gosh, you'd STILL wait for MNP? MNP is like the horizon - it always appears to meet you a li'l ahead, but never does. Your wait may be a long and indefinite one.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:31   #7030
Team-BHP Support

I do not have a choice. If I do not wait for MNP, I will have to change my number! A very difficult thing to do, since its with all banks etc.,
Old 2nd October 2010, 00:18   #7031
Senior - BHPian

^^^I was apprehensive of that myself... but it turned out to be a piece of cake. HDFC was the easiest - just dropped a written request at an ATM drop box, and the change was affected in a couple days. Had to de-register and re-register for Insta alerts. All online, so took 5 mins.

Trading a/c and all also I could change online. Two minute job.

MNP has been delayed yet again. There are too many powerful vested interests. They will not allow it to come. They will not deny it either, as they want you to keep waiting. If they tell you upfront that its not coming, or its coming after x years, most will not wait and leave right away. Thats how the game continues...

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic here.

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd October 2010 at 00:23.
Old 2nd October 2010, 03:47   #7032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I have read that Samsung Galaxy S and Samsung Wave are no longer in production as Samsung cannot produce enough Super AMOLED screens. Is this true? I think it would be a sad thing as both these phones have been selling like hotcakes every where.
Gee... where did u hear that. I'm very sure that the Galaxy S is very much in production and being sold. It is the current top of the line Samsung phone so I doubt them being newhere close to not producing them.
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:50   #7033
Ram
Senior - BHPian

HD video output from a Nokia N8

Last Saturday, that is 25th Sep. 2010, a week ago, in Rosengård(रोसँगोर्ड), a suburb of Malmö(माल्म्यए), Sweden, an HD video of the movie "Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time(2010)" was shown projected
on a 167 ft x 92 ft screen. 15,371 sq. ft.

Two giant cranes held the screen in place against a multistorey building.

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-giantscreen.jpg

The media player of choice was, none other than, the new Nokia N8.
The N8 outputs 720p HD Video playback and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound to its mini HDMI-jack.

This fed HD video to four Barco XLM HD30 projectors in stunning high-definition !

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-feedfromnokian8.jpg

It set a world record.

About a Barco XLM HD30 Projector -- Has a brightness of 30,000 ANSI Lumens. And weighs 181 kg. Its price is Rs. 56.8 lakh a piece, before taxes and duties.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:55   #7034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks a lot dude. I do hope Ovi maps is useful for highways too, as half its utility for me might be on the highways. I'm considering the 5235 (better looks), but Nokia has chosen not to include a car stand and has included useless music access instead. Could you possibly comment on the camera? A couple of sample pics would be really useful, to compare phones. Could not find any online.
The camera in 5230/5235 is nothing to speak of. It is a basic fixed focus 2 MP camera without flash. You can find some sample pics on this website:

Nokia 5230 review: Foot soldiers get smarter - GSMArena.com

5230 and 5235 are basically the same phone, but packaged differently. If you are more interested in GPS navigation, 5230 is the one for you since it comes with car stand.

5235 is more suited for music lovers since it comes with good quality handsfree and free access to Nokia music store.

Rohan
Old 2nd October 2010, 16:05   #7035
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks for the inputs.

The sample pics in that review are really almost a deal breaker. :( Would be really sad if both 5230 & 5235 have the same cam. I know it has a 2MP fixed focus cam, but cams with similar specifications can perform quite differently in real. Thats why the only way to be sure is to compare the output.

The thing with 5235 is that it at least looks passable (IMO). The 5230 seems just all plasticy. Most Nokias anyways look don't look good, and are bulky, compared to the competition. The saving grace is of course just the nice bluish chrome border. Also it is supposed to come with a much better hands free kit. So if I consider these, I guess I'd go with 5235 and maybe buy a car stand separately, though I don't really feel the additional cost of the 5235 (not to mention additional cost for car stand) is really justified when I can buy an Android phone like Galaxy 5 (or 3, for a bit more) for the same price. But I guess I'll have to forgo the voice navigation and Ovi Maps, right?

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd October 2010 at 16:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks