Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 15:32   #9631
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Guys, I'm looking for a new phone. I don't want an Android. I'm leaning towards Windows and interested in Nokia Lumia 520 . I know it hasn't released yet.

What I'm interested in it is How is the Windows 8 experience? Is it as good as Android and do we have all the major apps available on the platform?

Last edited by Monolithic : 7th April 2013 at 15:35.
Old 7th April 2013, 20:03   #9632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
I am getting MMX Canvas HD A116 at ebay for 17000 Rs. They have one piece left. Is it a good price to buy it? Jignesh got it for 16K, while the intial reviews of the Phone list the price as 14K. What happened, did the demand make them raise the price or is it budget effect?
Hello Rohit,

Rs. 17000 for MMX A116 is little on higher side.

Company has offically increased the price to Rs. 14,500, but it is the distributors who are selling to retailers at higher price. By the way the MRP printed on Box is Rs. 17,500.

I will suggest to contact a local retail shop, they are getting stocks slowly (one / two phones every week). You will soon get a piece for less than Rs. 16000.

Thanks,
Old 8th April 2013, 12:11   #9633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rohit,

Rs. 17000 for MMX A116 is little on higher side.

I will suggest to contact a local retail shop, they are getting stocks slowly (one / two phones every week). You will soon get a piece for less than Rs. 16000.

Thanks,
Thanks Jignesh for the pointer. I once had MMX Bling and i was disgusted with the quality of phone. The speaker gave way within 3 months, and the buttons stopped working after 6 months. So while A116 one looks promising, but back of mind the fear of MMX poor quality continues to haunt.
So will be counting on your experience with the phone, until i take final plunge.
Thanks!
Old 8th April 2013, 12:28   #9634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
So will be counting on your experience with the phone, until i take final plunge.
Thanks!
Hello Rohit,

Yes. Many people had given me their negative experience with Micromax during last couple of years.

But I spoke to many users of A110 who are using the phone since last 2 / 3 months & they were really satisfied.

I has been 10 days since I am using A116 & the experience has been good so far. Now let us hope for the best in future. Frankly I am looking at trouble free ownership for 1 year. Thats it, nothing more.

Thanks,
Old 8th April 2013, 18:33   #9635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

By the by, why not Android?
Honestly, I don't even know the advantage / USP of Android OS. I've heard very highly about Android OS, and how powerful etc it is, but nobody has been able to explain to me what I can really do with an Android based phone over my BlackBerry 9700.

A couple of people who I spoke to told me Android is not for me. I don't do much with my phone besides talking, smsing, some camera and emails. Hopefully, with my next phone I'll figure our using maps which would be a real advantage of moving to a new phone.

Between the Samsungs, I don't like the Samsung's overall build. The Sony Xperia Z feels nice and solid but is above my intended spend, 36.5K last I checked.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:32   #9636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Honestly, I don't even know the advantage / USP of Android OS. I've heard very highly about Android OS, and how powerful etc it is, but nobody has been able to explain to me what I can really do with an Android based phone over my BlackBerry 9700.
I share the same view !
I have been using android since more than an year , and i feel that budget android phones are not that great if you want a good user experience. Only usp of android is the customization and range of apps it offers, and one gets bored quite soon. iOS has been successful because of the overall experience they offered, smooth lag free OS , good overall quality. I hate apple to the core but still their products have to be appreciated for how defined and focused they are in providing what actually matters.
I myself have installed a lot of custom roms and yes it's fun being an android user, but there are times when you just want to do what phones actually were made for + a bit of navigation and minor apps usage.

For me android experience is almost over and have decided to buy a Lumia 520/620 in the coming months. I just hope that microsoft will be kind enough to release updates in the coming future for everyone including the present 520 620 720 series. My usage is limited to basic text and calls + browsing + offline navigation + a few apps like whatsapp, true caller, zomato etc. If one really wants to buy an android then try to buy multi core 1 gig ram ones.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:08   #9637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Guys, forget what phone, I am in a dilemma over what OS to be move. I do not like the build on the Samsung phones, so I've basically restricted myself to the Lumia / BlackBeryy devices for now.
Samsung is not known for build quality. It is like the Maruti of mobile phones.
However, Nokia, RIM, HTC, Motorola and Sony are all known for build quality.
Do note that this is a generic statement. Some models may not be having the same build quality as others from the same manufacturer.

This does not rule out any operating system, though.

Quote:

1. Would the 512 MB ram & 1.0 Ghz really make the 720 that much slower for browsing or emailing in real world use? I have just started using a couple of apps on my BB, no sure if I would classify under the 'heavy apps usage' group.
Has the Nokia Lumia 720 been launched? I thought it comes out later this month. So, no clue about the performance until we get a comprehensive review.
The phone will cost around Rs. 17000.

Quote:
2. I use a Tata Photon through the day, work and personal use. I'm on a 5 GB plan which lasts for about 25 days after which the speed resets to a slower version for the rest of the month. Can either of the above Lumias or the Z10 provide me a similar or better experience as the Photon if I use the phones for all my Internet usage by opting for a 5 - 7 GB data plan on Vodaphone?
Assuming that you use your Tata Photon with your laptop, I would say based on personal experience, a dongle performs better than a mobile in signal reception.
I have got far better results with Netsetter than my Motorola (for the same service provider). I stay in an area with low indoor coverage.
I will buy a MiFi device such as Micromax MMX - 400R and keep it near the window. This will offer much better performance than any dongle or mobile kept near the laptop.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:02   #9638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a new phone. I don't want an Android. I'm leaning towards Windows and interested in Nokia Lumia 520 . I know it hasn't released yet.

What I'm interested in it is How is the Windows 8 experience? Is it as good as Android and do we have all the major apps available on the platform?

Windows 8 experience has been very good so far on the Lumia 620 - bought for my wife 2 weeks back. It doesn't have any lags - I would recommend you to check both 520 & 620 side by side and make a decision.
I believe, 520 is already available here in Hyderabad.
Old 9th April 2013, 21:13   #9639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Windows 8 experience has been very good so far on the Lumia 620 - bought for my wife 2 weeks back. It doesn't have any lags - I would recommend you to check both 520 & 620 side by side and make a decision.
I believe, 520 is already available here in Hyderabad.
Thanks!

It is? I'll check again, the store was saying it hasn't been released yet and the site says the same too.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:10   #9640
BHPian

Nokia 808 Pureview is on offer at zoomin.com @ 15999 - in case anybody is interested.

I bought one - reasons being, the last phone from Nokia running Symbian, 41MP pureview technology which is a technology marvel, one of the phones with a strong fan club.. I hope this will become an iconic phone in the coming years like the Nokia 3310.
Old 10th April 2013, 08:17   #9641
BANNED

MMX A116 for 14500 on Saholic.com

The good ol' prices!
Old 10th April 2013, 09:31   #9642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Samsung is not known for build quality. It is like the Maruti of mobile phones.
However, Nokia, RIM, HTC, Motorola and Sony are all known for build quality.
Do note that this is a generic statement. Some models may not be having the same build quality as others from the same manufacturer.
Since when has samsung's built quality become an issue? It uses plastic compared to the metal used by other phone companies. The plastic feel does not look luxurious enough to some and that might be a put off. But that doesn't mean the build quality is poor. The plastic parts hold on really well and do not break or anything of that sort. I have been suing the Galaxy S2 for 2 years now and there have been zero complaints regarding the build quality. Same with all the people i know using Samsung.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:11   #9643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Since when has samsung's built quality become an issue? It uses plastic compared to the metal used by other phone companies. The plastic feel does not look luxurious enough to some and that might be a put off. But that doesn't mean the build quality is poor. The plastic parts hold on really well and do not break or anything of that sort. I have been suing the Galaxy S2 for 2 years now and there have been zero complaints regarding the build quality. Same with all the people i know using Samsung.
S2 is in fact better built compared to S3, especially the plastic.
Have a look: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...all-videos.htm

Again, I have nothing against S3 or Samsung. For the money, they offer good value (perhaps more than Apple?).
But I would never recommend the plastic body phones to a pair of unsafe hands.
Some of the older/ heavier Samsung phones have metal body and can handle impacts much better.

So, my philosophy is to use a protective case if you would like your phone to last long enough before you decide to part with it.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:16   #9644
BANNED

Quote:
Some of the older/ heavier Samsung phones have metal body and can handle impacts much better.

So, my philosophy is to use a protective case if you would like your phone to last long enough before you decide to part with it.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/15...c-smartphones/

S3 vs Iphone

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th April 2013 at 15:57.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:40   #9645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Again, I have nothing against S3 or Samsung. For the money, they offer good value (perhaps more than Apple?).

There are a whole lot of videos on youtube declaring different phones as winners in the most weirdest competitions. So lets leave those videos to that.

All I wanted to say was that Samsung uses plastic as compared to the metal finish of other phones. You might not find the plastic feel worth the money you have spent for a top end phone. But it is durable. I don't know about UK but in my friend circle we have atleast 3 S2 and 4 S3s. None of them have developed any problem whatsoever in terms of durability.

As far as protective cover is concerned, I see almost all users using one regardless of the brand. To be honest I haven't used any for my S2, neither on the body nor the screen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks