Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2007, 10:03   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
. it has everything one wants. but the price is a little steep.

Any idea what it costs???I am looking to upgrade my phone

Godfather
Old 29th April 2007, 10:08   #1412
BHPian

^ Costs 35k-40k here in Chennai. The price is bound to fall soon!

-Absar

Last edited by Absar : 29th April 2007 at 10:11.
Old 29th April 2007, 10:08   #1413
Jay
BHPian

I have seen and used it, neat phone. Brother bought one recently. Costed Him 34k or 35k not sure about that...
Old 29th April 2007, 11:05   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I have seen and used it, neat phone. Brother bought one recently. Costed Him 34k or 35k not sure about that...

Find out and let me know the price..

Godfather
Old 29th April 2007, 11:48   #1415
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a fabulous phone. Best ever by Nokia. A close relative bought one - claimed to be the 1st N95 buyer in Bangalore on the day is was launched. The GPS feature is full of potential - 4 satellites are locked on at any time. Great camera - 5.1 MP Carl-Zeiss Tessar. Slide keypad.

Simply go for it.
Old 29th April 2007, 13:21   #1416
BANNED

I'm Using N95 Atm It's a nice Small phone packed withh all Features .
Old 29th April 2007, 14:05   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Seen it, tried it. Here's the quick lowdown:

1. Very compact unit. Fits in your hand very nicely.

2. Has everything. Or at least 'flavours' of everything.

3. Full connectivity - GSM, 3G, HSDPA, WiFi, Bluetooth, the works.

4. Internet browser included.

5. 5 mp camera with Carl Zeiss lens.

6. GPS!

7. Standard 3.5mm headphone socket - so you can use some quality headphones without an adapter.

8. Two-way slide with dedicated MP3 Player controls on one side. Very neat.

9. Good video playback.

Now the things I didnt like:

1. For a smartphone, Office Features are pretty poor with the Nokia Document viewer which is very unimpressive.

2. Does not feature Push Mail. Now why would they exclude that?

3. GPS is 'free', but with a catch - MAPS are not stored on the phone or in memory. They are downloaded from a central server. There are two main disadvantages here:

a. You pay GPRS/3G Tariffs to download these maps. Unless you have (free) WiFi everywhere. Since GPS will be used while you're travelling, you're likely to be using GPRS almost all the time. Very good for mobile operators like us as it will keep the monthly bills nice and high, but I'm not sure if you as a consumer would prefer to pay-per-view. Standard GPS with a map paid for is much cheaper, IMHO.

b. As the number of users increase, these servers will be hit by millions of requests. This can only mean more time spent in queue for accessing maps.

Therefore GPS looks good and is sold as 'free', but it isnt really free or fast. If you want ANY extras such as routes or voice guidance, those are going to cost you extra per month. All you get is a MAP. This is a marketing trick.

However, if you're not a full-time GPS user, this is a very useful tool as you will only pay when you download maps. Very useful if you're just LOST and want to figure your way out. Therefore while it cannot substitute a full-time GPS device, it is more than sufficient for the average person on the street who just wants some directions occassionally.

4. No touch screen. This may be just me complaining, but a smartphone without a touchscreen is a pain to operate with just a joystick or a 4-way button. Just try selecting a link on the Internet Browser and you will understand.

5. Camera is no great shakes despite the 5mp rating and the 'Carl Zeiss' tag - still pretty grainy. Samsung and LG make much better phones with Cameras, leave alone Sony Ericsson. However, this is not an issue for me as I dont see the utility of a camera on a phone.

6. The slider mechanism doesnt have a very strong feel. It feels very plasticy and doesnt inspire confidence that it will last the distance. May become loose and shaky with use - this is just PERCEPTION, though.

Great phone at a pretty decent price if you're not looking for real GPS or Smartphone functionality. It is at best a large-screened 3G + WiFi mobile with a good MP3 Player, a better-than-average camera and some basic Office functionality and a GPS functionality that seems like a bit of a compromise.

Its Series 60 so there should be plenty of apps available off the net.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th April 2007 at 14:20.
Old 29th April 2007, 14:26   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Does it have Optical Zoom ?
Old 29th April 2007, 15:19   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Does it have Optical Zoom ?
Tall order that...nope.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:22   #1420
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep seen/used it, few of my friends have already bought it. Comparing it to another NSeries N73ME, the processor is fast and the speed is very evident while browsing the gallery. Thumbnails load way faster than any other S60 phone. The device is considerably lighter than my n73me. 160MB on board memory means a lot of applications can run side by side. Build quality i feel is better than N73 for sure the D-Pad has a very good feel to it. About the Camera i felt the quality of the Night shot in "normal/standard" mode is way better than my N73. The new web browser on this phone is a class apart and the speeds on eGPRS were pretty much similar to N73me which i think is very good. The OE leather cover looks good too.

Downloading maps for GPS is free but navigational/directional support is provided at a cost.

I think N95 has it all, time to upgrade from my n73me only thing keeping me away is a Rs33K MRP :(
Old 29th April 2007, 15:33   #1421
Team-BHP Support

Surprising no one has commented on the reported battery life which is extremely low. All the reviews I've read have the same thing to say.

Also, the design is far bulkier than it really should be these days.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:44   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Also, the design is far bulkier than it really should be these days.
?????

Compared to what - MOBILEPHONES or to Integrated Devices? This is one of the minimalist smartphone/integrated device around.

Do not compare with mobiles.

Again, do not compare battery life with mobiles. This does a lot more, therefore it will require more power than a regular mobile.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:50   #1423
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The battery life is low only if Wifi or GPS is being used! other wise its similar to other n-series 1-2day max.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:50   #1424
Team-BHP Support

N95 is the first of its kind, expect it to be slow and buggy. I suspect in another 6 months there will be a faster cheaper model with exactly same features but niggling problems taken care of.
Old 29th April 2007, 15:57   #1425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
?????

Compared to what - MOBILEPHONES or to Integrated Devices? This is one of the minimalist smartphone/integrated device around.

Do not compare with mobiles.

Settle down Steer! Lol. Can't a person give their own opinion on a device? As far as comparing it other devices, I am a consumer, and yes, I will compare. The HP Ipaq (can't remember the model) has almost all the features mentioned here, and is a better package as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Again, do not compare battery life with mobiles. This does a lot more, therefore it will require more power than a regular mobile.
Dude, if the battery doesn't last more than a few hours or a day using the normal functions of the device, I would say that's pretty useless. Again, if I'm the end user, why should I not ask for longer battery life. It's not like Nokia couldn't have added in a better battery (which they probably will soon I guess).

In essence, Nokia has included the goodies, but as novelty value only. If a user wants to actually use the features, he better have a charging point nearby. Or a spare battery maybe. Simple.

Last edited by Rtech : 30th April 2007 at 13:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks