Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

hmm...you think this is needed?? how come?

Manufacturers put in a load of junk software with their computers. A Clean install will help you keep it "clean".

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

BTW, what anti virus do you recomend? I have been using Norton all along and got no complaints, but if there's something better out there....

I am extremely happy with Norton too. Just remember to update frequently.

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Aug. 03 2004,10:58)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

hmm...you think this is needed?? how come?

Manufacturers put in a load of junk software with their computers. A Clean install will help you keep it "clean".

Im kinda half-half on that suggestion, some manufacturers bundle software for writing CDs and playing DVDs and all that kinda stuff that you may never use.
However, sometimes it comes in handy, and on a laptop you must clean install, or restore from the restore cd,(which has all the reqd specific drivers). I guess it depends on how much stuff there is on your comp that you will never use when u get it, which would differ from manufacturer to manufactuerer and sometimes even dealer to dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]

BTW, what anti virus do you recomend? I have been using Norton all along and got no complaints, but if there's something better out there....

I am extremely happy with Norton too. Just remember to update frequently.

Ditto.

cya
R

hi all

planning to buy a new laptop for myself. will mostly be used for office work. have no idea abt laptops so detailed suggestions would be welcome.

please: help.

shubbhi

budget? and weight? 2 very important things to consider.
if budget no problem go for a high end toshiba very light and good.
if budget is a constraint and weight is no issue can go for hp

u can go and take a pick frm lamington road there u will get the best deal and also some good discounts ..
happy shopping

How processor intensive are the applications you'd be using the laptop for, going to be? Don't ignore the Celeron based systems, good for 80% of the job Pentiums do. And quite a bit cheaper too. I saw some Compaq laptops just yesterday, looked like beefed up digital diaries, quite handy types. And not too expensive either.

Buying a laptop requires a lot of research. Firstly, you have to outline your own needs. Are you looking for a desktop replacement or something mainly for travel? Are you into gaming or you jsut need somehting to handle the basic office requirements?What is your price range? Any brand preferences ( this plays a bigger role that you would think)?

Take a look at my post . Yes, its almost a year old, which is a lifetime for electronics, but it should be of some help.

[quote=iceman91]budget? and weight? 2 very important things to consider.

let me precise here, budget upto 70000/- ( i hope i m not being a kanjoos) and weight upto 2.5kg not a problem.

hey rtech. i have read all ur posts and thanks for giving all the good info on laptops. basically i was thinking of buying one computer for home but then just thought , why not invest a bit more and have a laptop so it can be useful while travelling as well as for giving good presentations. secondly will save on lot of space too.

will be at home mostly as i have two comps at the office. this will be used to make programs in in VB, Dot.net, Sql etc. may also use photoshop sometimes so might need higher ram and bigger hard disk.

how good is internet surfing, will need it to be on tbhp even after office hours.

hope tp get some good suggestions from GTO too.

thanks

shubbhi

[quote=manaa45]
Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman91
budget? and weight? 2 very important things to consider.

let me precise here, budget upto 70000/- ( i hope i m not being a kanjoos) and weight upto 2.5kg not a problem.

hey rtech. i have read all ur posts and thanks for giving all the good info on laptops. basically i was thinking of buying one computer for home but then just thought , why not invest a bit more and have a laptop so it can be useful while travelling as well as for giving good presentations. secondly will save on lot of space too.

will be at home mostly as i have two comps at the office. this will be used to make programs in in VB, Dot.net, Sql etc. may also use photoshop sometimes so might need higher ram and bigger hard disk.

how good is internet surfing, will need it to be on tbhp even after office hours.

hope tp get some good suggestions from GTO too.

thanks

shubbhi

Programming - .Net ? - visual studio and Sql engine ?. Then you will certainly require - Centrino . dont settle for anything else.
You could consider
1.Toshiba's Satellites.
2.Compaq .

You say Photoshop - is it for developing web apps ?
Again - if the requirment is for .Net - CENTRINO is a must -

Look at http://www.hclinfosystems.com/p_note.htm
Sateelite series.

Regards.

go inf for the new tecra by toshiba if you can stretch the budget, else a compaq with p4 3mhz processor 512mb ram,40gb,dvd combo,15",xp professional....etc. for around 70k. that would be the new series, also same config instead of p4 u can get centrino 1.6 around the same price

My brother just picked up a Centrino based IBM Thinkpad for around 70K (Delhi prices). The config was good enough for all your needs (1.7 GHz CPU, 512 MB RAM, 40 Gig HDD). Might also want to take a look at Acer... Pretty good prices.IBM Model

Surprised here not see "DELL" in the list. Just check with Dell Bangalore. The toll free number is [font=&quot]1600338046

[/font]
[font=&quot]Dell is eating both Compaq and IBM in the desktop & Laptop segment because of their aggressive pricing & support. I use DELL 600 provided by my employer and it's perfect other than the HEAT GENERATED BY THE HARDDISK ON THE LHS
[/font]

Compaq V2000 series have come up nice compact laptops .. u might want to check ...compaq /hp has also reduced prices on laptops ...

neways ,i am thinking of selling my laptop
its a Compaq EVO N1000C
1.7 Ghz P-4
256 SDDR MB RAM
30 GB ,
14inch LCD ..wot else ..
am planning to sell it for 30 000 .. am hoping its an attractive price ..

cheers

Hello,

I had an IBM laptop for a long time (T20) and it was awesome. IBM's are renowed for their indestructability and they usually never die on you. If you are going to use it for business, I don't think it gets any better.. if you don't care about graphics, or screen size and all..

I recently got a Dell, it's a top of the line laptop that is meant for high end graphics usage. I don't think you would need something like that for a business use though.

Here is the specs that I would suggest

Intel centrino 1.5 - 1.7 ghz
512 MB Ram
40GB hard Drive
Dvd/CD-RW player
Windows XP professional
a 14.1" screen would be more than enough and the inbuilt graphics card should be good.

Happy Shopping

zd8000 a super powerhouse.... heavy though... some 4kgs... but worth every gram of it...

3.6ghz....17" widescreen....512ram...dvd-rw...128mb graphic.....tv-tuner.... and u name it....

thts my next take.... but not yet launched in india... abroad it starts from 60k and goes till 90k... this config shud be 75k or so.

peace.