Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 23:32   #4291
BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If the data is too confidential and there is no fault in hard disk then you can probably request them to return HDD and use some other os preloaded hdd for servicing.
Thank you for your reply. There is no problem with the hard disk. I will check with the service center people about this option.
Old 12th January 2015, 16:04   #4292
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks which is a better one among the 3 listed below. Looking for a laptop which offers seamless gaming, graphics & video editing.

1. ASUS ROG GL551JM
  • Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz (Turbo to 3.5 GHz).
  • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive. 16GB RAM.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 with Optimus Technology.
  • 3x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x MiniDisplay. SDXC Card Reader. 802.11 A/B/G/N. Gigabit Ethernet Port. 720P HD Webcam.
  • 15.6"" Full HD Display. Aluminum Body ROG Signature Chassis.

2. Lenovo Y50
  • Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4 GHz Processor
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM; 1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive; 8 GB Solid-State Drive
  • Discrete NVIDIA GTX-860M 2G Graphics
  • 15.6-Inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Display
  • Windows 8.1, 4-hour battery life

3 Hp Envy 15T
  • 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ Quad Core Processor
  • 15.6"" FHD LED AntiGlare Multitouch with integrated camera (1920x1080)
  • NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M DDR3 4GB Graphics Card
  • 12.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
  • 1TB 5400 RPM, Intel® Wireless-N 7260, Windows 8.1

Read the reviews Y50 seems to be better but the Asus comes with 16GB of RAM. Will be procuring these from the US hence, some of them might not be available in India or the specs are less.
Old 19th January 2015, 01:32   #4293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi folks which is a better one among the 3 listed below. Looking for a laptop which offers seamless gaming, graphics & video editing.

3 Hp Envy 15T
  • 4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4712HQ Quad Core Processor
  • 15.6"" FHD LED AntiGlare Multitouch with integrated camera (1920x1080)
  • NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M DDR3 4GB Graphics Card
  • 12.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
  • 1TB 5400 RPM, Intel® Wireless-N 7260, Windows 8.1

Read the reviews Y50 seems to be better but the Asus comes with 16GB of RAM. Will be procuring these from the US hence, some of them might not be available in India or the specs are less.
Hi

As all the configurations are equipped with Core i7's, I would say that the deciding factor would be the GPU. Better GPU with faster memory and a greater capacity SSD would seal the deal for me.

The best deals IMHO in US are available on Slickdeals.net and you can try checking out the deals listed on this site.

For instance check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Y50-Tou...A334XHS1C5Y12J

Thanks
Adi
Old 19th January 2015, 08:35   #4294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What's a good /decent laptop for everyday use ?
Regular office apps, browsing is the main usage.
Max 25k
I currently have a 5 year old Inspiron 1440 that I can exchange if possible.
Dell / Lenovo / HP / Toshiba ?
Shouldnt be too heavy
Standard 14 - 15.6" display
My specifications are similar, except that I want to buy between Dell and HP. No other brands.
Have you purchased one ? If yes, which one ? More details on that please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
25k inclusive of MS Office and OS?
You can look at Lenovo models, FK is offering +2 yr warranty and 15% discount on MS Office.
As for exchange, sell the old one on Olx or to ReGlobe.
Coming to a warranty question.
Dell clearly says on its websites that it does have only one authorized seller online - some Compuxxxxx....
What if I buy a Dell via FK, Amazon or EBay ? Will they honour the standard Dell NBD warranty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Questions to all - Does it make sense to buy a laptop with Win 8.1 or should I wait for the Win 10 launch? I am looking at a low priced laptop for browsing and the likes (NO games at all) and need decent performing laptop. If I am going for Win 8.1, should I be looking at 4 GB ram for good performance?
Are there no laptops sold with Windows 7 ? I have been searching laptops and all i-series laptops are coming with Win 8.
Only Pentium Dual core series are coming with Win 7.
If I buy a laptop with Win 8 and install Win 7 on it, will it have any hardware - software conflicts ?

Quote:
Quite a coincidence. Even I have a 2007 Inspiron 1520 and has been running fine till last week. Quite a bunch of issues happening and I am thinking of buying a new one.
Mine too - 2007 Inspiron 1520
My son plucked the spacebar from keyboard, my 9 cell battery is dead (its now a plug and use type). Hence considering a new laptop buy. Within 25k + 2k max.
Btw, a 9-Cell Non-OEM battery costs upwards of 7k !! I enquired with Dell and they don't have OEM 9 cell or 6 cell batteries to fit the 1520 model.

For a new laptop, looking between Dell and HP. Any pointers you have ? Pure personal use, no gaming at all. Just browsing, movies and picasa edits.

PS: Forgot to add an imporant factor as well. Should have a separate graphics card, not inbuilt on the motherboard.
Old 19th January 2015, 09:38   #4295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit9 : My specifications are similar, except that I want to buy between Dell and HP. No other brands.
Have you purchased one ?
Purchase put off.
Suggest to look at Lenovo too. Been using one for last few years (official laptop). Quite a few companies also using Lenovo as standard issue to employees.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:38   #4296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Purchase put off.
Suggest to look at Lenovo too. Been using one for last few years (official laptop). Quite a few companies also using Lenovo as standard issue to employees.
Not too comfortable with the brand Lenovo, not sure why. In my opinion, Dell, HP, Compaq are the pure computer brands that one can trust.
My, my wife, my brother, all have Dell. And they have served us well in terms of the product and support.
My BIL got a Lenovo and within a year he was struggling with crashing issues and poor support.

When IBM was all about ThinkPad, it was good. They bought Lenovo and now nothing seems good.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:44   #4297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
When IBM was all about ThinkPad, it was good. They bought Lenovo and now nothing seems good.
I have a back-up laptop as Lenovo running Ubuntu. Works perfectly well. Core I5 and 8GB RAM. Quite satisfied with its performance.
Old 20th January 2015, 00:39   #4298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...If I buy a laptop with Win 8 and install Win 7 on it, will it have any hardware - software conflicts ?.......
Should NOT be. You will have to download all drivers though.

Quote:
...Btw, a 9-Cell Non-OEM battery costs upwards of 7k !! I enquired with Dell and they don't have OEM 9 cell or 6 cell batteries to fit the 1520 model.......
Dell NOT having 9 cell batteries for 1520 is surprising. I bought a 6 cell battery from eBay (non OEM) last month for 1200/- or so. Even if it works properly for 6 months, I'll be happy.

Quote:
...For a new laptop, looking between Dell and HP. Any pointers you have ? Pure personal use, no gaming at all. Just browsing, movies and picasa edits....
My personal favourite is still Dell due to it's robust build; but expensive. HP should be equally good.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th January 2015 at 00:40.
Old 27th January 2015, 01:05   #4299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. ASUS ROG GL551JM

2. Lenovo Y50

3 Hp Envy 15T

Update on the laptop purchase. It will sound funny but I did not go for either of the 3 above and instead bought a MSI GE60 Apache 629. Why? Well 3 reasons
  1. MSI laptop was offerring almost the same specs with a better screen compared to the other 3. Screen wise ranking will be MSI > Asus > Lenovo > HP
  2. Amazon.com was retailing this laptop for $899 which is a whopping 37k less than what Flipkart is retailing.
  3. I actually wanted to buy the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black as it had IPS panel display. But unfortunately Newegg.com is a pretty bad site and it never took the order despite trying thrice.
Old 27th January 2015, 16:12   #4300
Senior - BHPian

For General awareness, IPS (in plane switching) is the last thing one wants to have on notebook if security is paramount. This technology essentially allows for distortion free viewing of the screen from almost a 110degree on either side, it has absolutely no bearing on resolution etc. While desirable on a tv in the living room, I personally would not want any one sitting on either side of me to be able to view what's on my work or personal screen.

Quote:
I actually wanted to buy the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black as it had IPS panel display. But unfortunately Newegg.com is a pretty bad site and it never took the order despite trying thrice.
Old 27th January 2015, 18:30   #4301
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the laptop purchase. It will sound funny but I did not go for either of the 3 above and instead bought a MSI GE60 Apache 629. Why? Well 3 reasons
  1. MSI laptop was offerring almost the same specs with a better screen compared to the other 3. Screen wise ranking will be MSI > Asus > Lenovo > HP
  2. Amazon.com was retailing this laptop for $899 which is a whopping 37k less than what Flipkart is retailing.
  3. I actually wanted to buy the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black as it had IPS panel display. But unfortunately Newegg.com is a pretty bad site and it never took the order despite trying thrice.
Any reason you didn't consider the HP Omen?
Old 28th January 2015, 00:51   #4302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For General awareness, IPS (in plane switching) is the last thing one wants to have on notebook if security is paramount. This technology essentially allows for distortion free viewing of the screen from almost a 110degree on either side, it has absolutely no bearing on resolution etc. While desirable on a tv in the living room, I personally would not want any one sitting on either side of me to be able to view what's on my work or personal screen.
I partly agree that viewing angles are great in IPS which can lead to someone peeping into your work but then for someone who is primarily working on photo editing the last thing you want is washed out colors or misrepresented colors. This was pretty bad in Lenovo Y50 that I have read of a lot of people switching the LCD with AU Optics one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Any reason you didn't consider the HP Omen?
1 single reason, it is out of my budget cap of $1000 plus the specs are similar to the MSI that I bought except for the 850 graphics card on the MSI.

Last edited by motomaverick : 28th January 2015 at 00:53.
Old 1st February 2015, 19:09   #4303
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, looking out for an high end laptop. Requirements:
1) The biggest screen (anything bigger than 15.6"??)
2) Performance - Need to use 3D rendering tools

Main purpose would be for official purpose - 3D animation and architectural design. Planning to buy next week.

Any suggestions?
Old 1st February 2015, 19:36   #4304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Any suggestions?
1. You would get laptops with 18" screens. HP has some models.

2. You can look at alienware from dell. They also have XPS series for high end processing.
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:40   #4305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Guys, looking out for an high end laptop. Requirements:

Main purpose would be for official purpose - 3D animation and architectural design. Planning to buy next week.

Any suggestions?

Lenovo Y50.
That's what I have as well.
Quad core i7 4710HQ
GTX 860M 4gb VRAM
8GB RAM
EVO840 250GB SSD ( I added )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks