Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 17:48   #6226
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I have faced this exact same problem when i bought a i3 Lenovo laptop for my daughter. It came with 4gb RAM and 1TB HDD. Upgraded the RAM to 8 GB but its still slow and hangs. It takes ages to boot up and RAM usage is still high.

Would you or any experts here suggest upgrading the RAM to 16GB or put in a SSD ? Which would solve this problem ? The laptop is fine otherwise, excellent full HD IPS screen, keypad is comfortable, looks good,nice battery backup also hence don’t want to sell it off.
I assume your laptop is lenovo ideapad. My sister had same one with same configuration and it is painfully slow. Please upgrade to SSD, 256gb will be sufficient and make sure to retain the HDD. The laptop repair guy told me that it's ram is integrated in the motherboard or something so it is not possible to upgrade the ram (iirc, experts please share your opinions on this ). Anyway, after getting SSD installed, the performance difference is huge. Boots up in no time, all the applications are running smooth without any lag. Sometimes it does lag say when too much chrome tabs are open, with some other Office applications but it's tolerable.
Akshay6988 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:41   #6227
BHPian

My Dell E7440's battery is conked off. Any suggestion on trusted sites for buying the OEM battery, there are many websites dealing with electronics/ laptop parts but not sure which ones are trusted

Also, how about going for aftermarket battery, will it work fine?

Thanks in advance for suggetions.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 2nd June 2021 at 10:48.
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:18   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
My Dell E7440's battery is conked off. Any suggestion on trusted sites for buying the OEM battery, there are many websites dealing with electronics/ laptop parts but not sure which ones are truested.

Also, how about going for aftermarket battery, will it work fine?
You can try buying at Dell's website: https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...pc-accessories

There's another website which has a secure connection but I have not bought from it: https://lapgadgets.in/products/new-d...battery-34gkr/

Don't buy other compatible batteries as they are subpar. Otherwise you can go to Laptop Clinic located near SP Road. I had good experience with them.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:52   #6229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
You can try buying at Dell's website: https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...pc-accessories

There's another website which has a secure connection but I have not bought from it: https://lapgadgets.in/products/new-d...battery-34gkr/

Don't buy other compatible batteries as they are subpar. Otherwise you can go to Laptop Clinic located near SP Road. I had good experience with them.
Thanks CarNerd.

Checked Dell website, its an enquiry form and probably only for companies, not for individual buying.

Have ordered it on lapgadgets.in with COD option, will update here on receipt.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:40   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
I have faced this exact same problem when i bought a i3 Lenovo laptop for my daughter. It came with 4gb RAM and 1TB HDD. Upgraded the RAM to 8 GB but its still slow and hangs. It takes ages to boot up and RAM usage is still high.

Would you or any experts here suggest upgrading the RAM to 16GB or put in a SSD ? Which would solve this problem ? The laptop is fine otherwise, excellent full HD IPS screen, keypad is comfortable, looks good,nice battery backup also hence don’t want to sell it off.
The problem is not with the hardware. It's the software of current times, that are resource-heavy.
Try to replace the OS (Presume you are running Win10), with either Linux OR windows7.
Also, try to use a 'lite' Anti-Virus, if possible.

I am running a seven year old desktop (4gb ram, i5), with windows7.
It is running very smooth, for all day to day tasks like Teams meetings, Video streaming etc.
Heck, I even manage to running Oracle VM Box on it, and run Ubuntu seamlessly from there.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:00   #6231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thank you all. I went the el cheapo route and bought this ₹25K Chromebook:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quick update on the user experience:

Working as expected, screen is bright and clear but colour reproduction could be better. Keyboard is tactile enough, camera not great. WiFi & Bluetooth better than my Dell Latitude 7290(!), feels robust enough too.

However, could not figure out whether this model comes with the 100Gb free Drive storage or not.
Old 2nd June 2021, 22:43   #6232
BHPian

I'm looking to replace my 2012 MacBook Pro. Its become painfully slow and heats up a lot, even the charger.

I'm seriously considering the Asus Zen Book 425EA with 11th Generation i5 to replace my machine that will be primarily used for work and online classes for my 5 year old.

I briefly considered the Thinkpad E15 but it wasn't too different compared to my wife's Lenovo S540 (except the 11th Gen i5 and all metal body on S540).

How is the ZenBook in your experience ?
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:48   #6233
BHPian

Need to buy a laptop for my nephew before he joins an engineering college this year. The prices in India right now are absurdly inflated. So I was considering getting a laptop from US/Australia/Canada/UK/HongKong. I have friends and relatives in these countries, so I will seek their help is getting one to India. Whichever laptop we decide to go for, must have a global warranty. Free warranty is better but an option to purchase will do too. AFAIK, Apple products carry a global repair warranty. ThinkPad top series does too. Would you be kind enough to let me know which other brand or a range from brands carry such warranty?

ThinkPad X1 Atom is available for $1400, and the one with similar spec in India is costing about INR 2 Lakhs. I saw some deals on Macbook Pro in US for $949 (8/256) and $1200 (16/512). Heard your can avail global warranty on Asus ROG series too (please correct me on this one). So please do share your experience, knowledge, or advice in this case.
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:25   #6234
BHPian

Hello Everyone. I am in need of a new laptop. I am not a tech "expert" or an enthusiast, but am not a total noob as well. I have some idea about how to interpret laptop specifications & determine the performance.
Having said that, I need the help of fellow tech gurus of Team-BHP to help me find the perfect new laptop.

Background-
I am about to start college this year onwards. I presently use a 2012 HP Pavilion dm4 (beats audio edition), which was imported from the USA. It is a fairly powerful laptop. It actually has features that are up to date even today, such as Fingerprint Scanner, Beats audio, VGA port, etc. However, it has been increasingly unreliable for the last 2-3 years. Some parts are failing, making irritating noise, excessive heating, etc. In simple words, it's showing its age. It's in perfect working condition, but it's time to replace it.

Here are some specs of my laptop-
Name:  Screenshot 22.png
Views: 501
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot 23.png
Views: 491
Size:  20.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot 24.png
Views: 504
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot 25.png
Views: 494
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot 26.png
Views: 490
Size:  22.6 KB

Requirements-
  • Should be a decent upgrade to my current laptop. It shouldn't fall behind in any aspect, albeit some small bits can be overlooked.
  • Should have good build quality.
  • Should have at least 16 GB RAM.
  • Should have at least DDR4 RAM (preferably DDR6 or DDR5).
  • Base CPU speed should be at least 2.5 GHz.
  • Should have at least 2GB dedicated Graphics (Intel is not preferred unless exceptional cases arise).
  • SSD or HDD, doesn't matter.
  • Speakers are not a big deal, can be of any brand.
  • Webcam is a must.
  • Screen size should be min. 14''
  • 4K display is desirable. Its absence is not a dealbreaker though.
  • Good cooling. No abnormal overheating issues.
  • Should have reasonably good after-sales support.
  • Should be good looking (premium looks are preferred).
  • Fingerprint sensor is a must, in absence of which a face recognition feature is a must.
  • Should be reasonably new in the market. Laptops which were launched 2-3 years back are less preferable.

I believe that there are more specifications that determine a laptop's performance. Those are precisely the areas where I lack the knowledge, and seek fellow BHPians advice.

I am not looking specifically for a gaming laptop, but considering my specifications, more gaming laptops meet the criteria. If there is any non-gaming laptop that is a suitable fit, I would be more than happy to buy it. Overall, gaming/non-gaming laptop doesn't matter.

Usage Pattern:-

The laptop will majorly be used for online classes, coding & studies. I have recently started my journey in AI & ML and currently use Octave. I'm learning Python as well, and doing research on how to learn Tensorflow.
I currently do very basic coding. But in the near future, the level would increase exponentially and I want the laptop to be able to hold up smoothly.

I am also proficient in Adobe Illustrator, which is a particularly heavy application for my laptop. My current laptop is at its peak when I run the app. I want the new laptop to handle the app without breaking a sweat.

I play games occasionally, only when the daily grinding becomes unbearable. But I enjoy gaming and do like to play latest games. With the ever-growing insane requirements the latest games demand, I want my laptop to live up to the requirements for at least some years in the future.

Budget-

Now this has to be the most pertinent determining factor of my new laptop purchase.
I can't extend my budget beyond INR 1.2 Lakhs. Only in exceptional cases, I can maybe extend it by another 5k, but that's the limit.

So to summarize the entire write-up, the gist comes to "Best laptop under 1.2 lakhs?"
I am really looking forward to recommendations from fellow BHPians. Listing out of pros and cons in certain aspects would be really useful.
Also, if there is a market for high-end pre-owned laptops, I know nothing about it and do not wish to tread down that path.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I request the moderators to move this write-up to the Home page. I believe it will garner much more views, will pour in more information & be useful in the future as well. Thank you.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 3rd June 2021 at 20:28.
Old 4th June 2021, 01:04   #6235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Need to buy a laptop for my nephew before he joins an engineering college this year.
you may want to buy a model with atleast 16Gb RAM and a dedicated graphics card for applications that need rendering. I had purchased a HP i7 16Gb Envy for my daughter when she joined college. Was in a hurry and returning from a business trip from the US so didnt do much research. She ended up joining Architecture. Rendering on the laptop without a graphics card was taking hours. I got her one with an RTX card from HP india site earlier this year and rendering now takes under a minute. Considering the forex rates, it might be almost the same price here in India.
Old 4th June 2021, 01:41   #6236
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
So to summarize the entire write-up, the gist comes to "Best laptop under 1.2 lakhs?"
I am really looking forward to recommendations from fellow BHPians. Listing out of pros and cons in certain aspects would be really useful.
Also, if there is a market for high-end pre-owned laptops, I know nothing about it and do not wish to tread down that path.

Thanks in advance!
The best-

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-predat...01622750644359

A piece of advice, don't go for a weak/average CPU and a good GPU combo since you are going to use Adobe Illustrator which is a CPU intensive app. Go for an i7 and avoid combinations like an i5+RTX 2060 or an i5+RTX 3060.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 10:07   #6237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Thanks for your advice, that was quick!
The laptop definitely has incredible specs and raving reviews. It's certainly in my list!

But (there's always a but), I'm really concerned with these things-
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screenshot_20210604095637.png

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screenshot_20210604095625.png

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-screenshot_20210604095618.png

Based upon the above reviews, the customer care is substandard, base CPU Speed is less than 2.5 GHz & build quality is not great.
But I need to wait for other recommendations and then evaluate.

Thanks again!
Old 4th June 2021, 10:49   #6238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
you may want to buy a model with atleast 16Gb RAM and a dedicated graphics card for applications that need rendering. I had purchased a HP i7 16Gb Envy for my daughter when she joined college. Was in a hurry and returning from a business trip from the US so didnt do much research. She ended up joining Architecture. Rendering on the laptop without a graphics card was taking hours. I got her one with an RTX card from HP india site earlier this year and rendering now takes under a minute. Considering the forex rates, it might be almost the same price here in India.
Ok. Which model did you buy exactly, if you could let me know? Thanks for your inputs.
Old 4th June 2021, 11:00   #6239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Ok. Which model did you buy exactly, if you could let me know? Thanks for your inputs.
This is the one i got for 122k, if you read this thread starting a few months back, there are good recommendations.
https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/o...x-26h93pa.html
Old 4th June 2021, 11:52   #6240
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Thanks for your advice, that was quick!
The laptop definitely has incredible specs and raving reviews. It's certainly in my list!

Based upon the above reviews, the customer care is substandard, base CPU Speed is less than 2.5 GHz & build quality is not great.
But I need to wait for other recommendations and then evaluate.

Thanks again!
As far as customer care is concerned, you will find negative reviews for almost every brand, especially MSI. It is then followed by ASUS and then Acer and Dell. Customer care for laptops in general is poor in India. HP seems like the only exception. Hence, I would personally only avoid MSI. Other than HP, every other brand can be put in the same bracket in terms of service.

Will advise you to search for customer service reviews in this subreddit- https://www.reddit.com/r/IndianGaming/

You may go through these links-

https://www.unboxparadigm.com/gaming

https://www.unboxparadigm.com/gaming-laptops

Last edited by AYP : 4th June 2021 at 11:55.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks