Team-BHP - The Home Theater thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Home Theater thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/8056-home-theater-thread-4.html)

All this audio and HT stuffs are bottemless pit... whats your budget? And also it depends on what kind of stuff you want to hear from them.

....also depends on the kind of friends around you, there is an old man who gives great advice but can make you spend before you even get the money out!

My requirements are kind of basic, but I can't stand dhaak-chik sound. My living room is not very big but not cramped as well. In TV, a Sony Wega or Onida Poison would do well for me but not sure what should I be looking for etc. You can call me a newbie looking for some good stuff. I would prefer it to be on this side of 30-35K (is it reasonable?), but if it exceeds, it would depend on what I am getting for extra money.

It also depends on where you want to install it I believe. According to me, a good sound system is as good as the acoustics of the hall where you install it.

I have a Sony which I bought from US about 4 years ago. It is no great shots, but it does its work. However, if you are a serious audiophile and if your budget permits, you can look for better ones like Harman Kardan, Onkyo and ofcourse Bose. Sony is also a decent buy. No comments about Onida; haven't experienced one to make any comment.

Size of the TV that you are looking for? That would dictate the amount to be spent on the DVD+sound

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat
....also depends on the kind of friends around you, there is an old man who gives great advice but can make you spend before you even get the money out!

Hmm...Point noted, Sir!

Does that 35 include the TV budget too? Then ur sony wega 29,25 inch should take away most of that budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohit
Size of the TV that you are looking for? That would dictate the amount to be spent on the DVD+sound

I guess, 25" will do well for my living room. 29" will be big (I'll be watching from approx. 12+ feet).
Quote:

However, if you are a serious audiophile and if your budget permits, you can look for better ones like Harman Kardan, Onkyo and ofcourse Bose.
Bose will be expensive. Plus, Bose will be using probably Panasonic or some other TV. (Isnt it, or does Bose has its own TVs?). To be very honest, I few times did listen to yamaha, Sony and Bose home theater systems put side by side in "Best buy" or "Circuit city". But, never was able to decide, which one among them is the best and why? Though I already know, Bose is supposed to be the best in voice.
Quote:

Does that 35 include the TV budget too? Then ur sony wega 29,25 inch should take away most of that budget.
Yes it does. But then I dont know whether 35 is on low side or average side. I checked Onida and Sony websites. Onida home theater system includes 29" TV. Not sure about Sony though. I have JVC camcorder and hoping that Onida, which uses JVC technology(?), will suit it better.

I have no idea about Bose's TV. I dont think that should be a problem.

Let me explain the setup I have:

I currently have a Samsung 21" which I desperately need to upgrade. I can do that some time later. I have the audio out going to a Sony reciever. I bought a separate DVD player from US (this is a proper all region player. I bought a Chinese player that can play almost any DVD). The audio outputs of this also will go to the reciever. The reciever is the one which converts these audio outputs to 5:1. I have 5 satellite speakers and a subwoofer placed at strategic locations. This reciever also plays certain FM channels.

This is a basic setup and is working fine for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
Bose is supposed to be the best in voice

You don't really read the posts in the ICE section... do you?

What you should be looking for is a 25'' TV and a basic HTIB (home theater in a box). Philips makes the cheapest ones (around 15k). If you want to go for onkyo, they start at around 25K (without DVD)....but then you will have no money left for the TV!

Quote:

You don't really read the posts in the ICE section... do you?
You got me there. No. I am too dumb to understand all that.
Quote:

What you should be looking for is a 25'' TV and a basic HTIB (home theater in a box).
I guess that is what I should be looking for.
Quote:

Philips makes the cheapest ones (around 15k). If you want to go for onkyo, they start at around 25K (without DVD)....but then you will have no money left for the TV!
No. Philips is strict NO NO for me. Never liked it. Sorry Philips owners! I'll have to raise the budget then :-(

mate, no to onida. personal exp. its sure is loud and had good boom factor. but, thats when u have high vol. when in low vol, the vocal part is almost no which i find vey bad. 35 is ok budget, if u stay with 21/25 inch. philips home theatre kit starts at 11k or so minus the dvd. i still use a videocon bazooka tv ( 6yrs old now). its good. check out the tv's urself. dont believe what the seller says. pls!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX135
I am contemplating purchace of a home theater system.

1) Which company? Sony/Onida or anything better?
2) What all components in home theater? (TV + satellite speakers + DVD?)
3) Is it better to buy a TV and sound system separately? What are advantages of a home theater system?
4) If you suggest something, approximate price range?
5) Any promotional schemes going on.

Ok 1st we need a budget. As someone else said this can be a bottomless pit so give us your best budget.

Then we need you need. % of audio onlyuse, % of Home theater use. Type of music. Type of Video programs.

and lastly we need you decor considerations which we mysoginists over on the ICE forum call WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

PM us over at ICE and we'll hook you up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin
PM us over at ICE and we'll hook you up.

lol: RX you poor soul, talk to your bank first !

Your budget is not sufficient enough for a HT system. Either you raise your fund allocation or retain your existing TV. 25-inch is a minimum requirement for making a "theater"

Take a look at Yamaha HT systems. Or take a look at India's best speakers, coming from Pune...
http://www.cadenceaudio.com/productfr.html

There is a massive price / performance difference between Onida and Wega. Please also note that a couple of Wega sets that I know had developed troubles within 12-15 months after purchase. Support is available though. OTOH all Onida sets that I know are working fine....

Your TV must have component video inputs. Only a couple of Onida models boast this.