Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1843.html)

When is 5G coming to India?

If it is supposed to be available by the mid of next year then I will somehow wait, but if not then I need to get a new phone now. It has become a pain to live with my 2.5 year old Redmi Note 3 off late (which still runs on Marshmallow), and some irritating touchscreen issues have started bothering me. For example, it goes blank for no reason at times, so after a call I cannot press the red button to cancel it (need to wait for the other party to do so). :Frustrati

Also the battery is draining too quickly for my liking considering I am not a very heavy user. The cameras are not too great either. And it freezes randomly while playing games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 4445679)

Not before 2020, if I recall correctly.

Quote:

It takes anywhere between 1.5 to 2 years from the time of auctioning to roll out of new tech. You can go ahead with changing the current phone and your next change would be ready with 5g on time.

Quote:

May I know what is your expectation from 5G?

As I understand, each generation of mobile technology is use case driven. 2G brought mobility to phone calls. 3G brought internet. 4G brought usecases like Uber. 5G is mainly expected to be used for device to device communications, special use case being autonomous vehicles. 5G makes use of millimeter waves to give you huge data rates, but the nature of these waves is such that you need huge antenna elements to receive signals and the signals die very fast. Mobile phones may not fully use all benefits of 5G but for consumers it may escalate costs just for being new technology.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 4445740)
May I know what is your expectation from 5G?

I didn't think about all that you mentioned, just that I would like my next phone to be future ready. lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 4445751)
I didn't think about all that you mentioned, just that I would like my next phone to be future ready. lol:

Well, even with 4G your phone is fully future ready for many years still. 4G itself gives you very high data rates, even 1Gbps.there are hardly any applications that need that kind of rates. None, that we use usually.

With 5G,fundamentally networks will have to be augmented. They will need to provide very very dense network elements, which means there will have to be a network element very very close to you, within few tens of meters. So the visualization is, probably every street light can act as network element. But this will cost lot of money to set up. And somebody will have to pay up that cost. That somebody would be the consumers eventually. So the question is, would you want to pay, say 4x your present bill, just to have 5G which you may or may not use in your phone? Is a serious business question really and the answer will shape how long the technology will take to become mainstream.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 4445758)
Well, even with 4G your phone is fully future ready for many years still. 4G itself gives you very high data rates, even 1Gbps.there are hardly any applications that need that kind of rates. None, that we use usually.

Makes sense, thanks.

I think I will wait till companies start rolling out devices with Android P out of the box. And maybe will wait for 7nm SOCs too (Huawei's Kirin 980 is supposed to come in 3-4 months). It will be much more powerful and battery efficient.

I don't want the upgrade to feel like just an incremental one like it was discussed in GTO's "Have smartphones peaked in terms of performance" thread. So if a significantly better hardware is around the corner, it's better to put up with the itch for the time being I reckon. stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 4445798)
I don't want the upgrade to feel like just an incremental one ...

How much more can we expect? Even PC cpus have not been getting hugely faster over the past few years. And, unless one is running challenging gaming or video apps that push the device to the maximum, I wonder how much we would even notice the performance increases from year to year in mobile phones.

We can look for more of the same in smaller cases; we can look for increased functionality.

I really wonder why some people "upgrade" their phones every year or two. Of course it is their choice: for some it is a fashion accessory, for others it is a techie hobby.

Both my last phone (three including the one I hated and gave away) were forced on me by loss or damage. Otherwise, I might actually still be using the phone I bought in 2015.

I wonder similarly about the regular Android updates. Some do bring enhanced functionality. Others may be part of a hard/software mindset that wants stuff to look/feel out of date so that people spend more often.

(And 5G will probably come along at the same time as the 3G-scam breaks rl: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 4445652)
I use Oneplus X with Sultan ROM. I don't know if original oneplus X rom had the support for USB OTG as I have been on this ROM for most of my last 2 years.

CM13 is your build? Try formatting the pen drive using android storage setting and also use solid explorer. I've been using this explorer root and w/t root for a long time. It is one of the best file explorer.

Help with unresponsive screen

Hello,

My Moto X Style screen is having screen touch issues (and also ghost touch). Unfortunately I am locked out of the phone now for past 2 days. The problem is that once I enter the PIN, the part of screen where enter key is to be pressed (a tick mark) that part is non responsive and so PIN cannot be entered.

I checked with the service center and they said that screen would be replaced and data loss would happen. Is there anything that could be done before I go for a screen replacement which would allow me to get access to data and recover it or maybe some app which may allow me to access data from laptop. Have heard of PhoneRescue as one such app which allows to bypass the phone security but not sure if it would preserve data.

Any other inputs / ideas which could help. Or is data loss imminent?

Regards,
S

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukhoi (Post 4446221)
Help with unresponsive screen...

The problem is that once I enter the PIN, the part of screen where enter key is to be pressed (a tick mark) that part is non responsive and so PIN cannot be entered.

Any other inputs / ideas which could help. Or is data loss imminent?

Regards,
S

Have you tried using a mouse with an OTG cable ? You can use the mouse to click on the enter key.

After the August security update, my Nokia 8 battery drains way too fast. Before the update, it used to have around 40% at the end of the day, with my usage. Now it goes below 10%. Anyone else facing this issue?

Picked up a Pro M1 3GB x 32GB after some juggling between the Asus and MI entry spec phones / variants. Needed a backup phone since I have to drop the Nokia 8 for a possible camera replacement again.

Still to setup the phone but it feels nice in hand and not as gigantic I thought it would be. The simple design with the rather tall screen sans branding on front end looks and feels nice in hand. Coming from palm sized phones the Nokia 8 has surely upper my appetite for larger phones. The gray is more silver than gray and the phone comes packed with a decent quality transparent silicone case.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20180819wa0010.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralJazz (Post 4446419)
Anyone else facing this issue?

Been only a couple of days that I installed the update but havent observed any excess battery drain as such.
By any chance are you facing any issue with GPS location whilst using maps, over, ola etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 4446625)
Picked up a Pro M1 3GB x 32GB after some juggling between the Asus and MI entry spec phones / variants.

Have you been able to see where in the phone it mentions it has 3GB RAM? Usually it's under "About Phone" but I am not able to see it there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 4446625)
Picked up a Pro M1 3GB x 32GB after some juggling between the Asus and MI entry spec phones / variants. Needed a backup phone since I have to drop the Nokia 8 for a possible camera replacement again.
:
:
:

Been only a couple of days that I installed the update but havent observed any excess battery drain as such.
By any chance are you facing any issue with GPS location whilst using maps, over, ola etc.?

Remember Google does a fantastic job considering the variety of software which may be loaded. So what we are getting is in my view quite fantastic. Compare with the iOS which has a very limited set to cater to.