Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1842.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by actinium15 (Post 4444048)
Please try using GPS Test app to clear and update A-GPS data (triple dot menu on top right -> A-GPS -> Clear and update).

I used this app while driving back home and I could see the difference as captured in these screenshots.

Any clue on what's happening?

I don't know why or if it is a coincidence but I am also facing the GPS issue on my OnePlus 3, since the last month. I am on Android 8.0 with June security update.
I do get a GPS lock once I am under clear sky, but it takes a lot of time.

i checked the status of other two phones at home (g4 plus and moto e2) and both the phones seems to find the satellites but not my phone! from what i have read so far, this is a software issue, but still do not know how to solve it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavensri (Post 4444425)
I used this app while driving back home and I could see the difference as captured in these screenshots.

Any clue on what's happening?

As far as I can tell the signal to noise ratio of the visible satellites is found to be too low (this is usually where A-GPS is expected to help).
Since that didn't work for you, it might be worthwhile to see discussions on this MI forum page. Essentially, they are blaming it on the network provider.
You might want to see if disabling/removing the SIM fares any better vis-a-vis GPS connectivity (you'd want to download offline maps for your route to keep navigating without data connection).

I am planning to order a Samsung S9 from Dubai. The description says it's the middle East version and apparently samsung is region locking all its devices now. But a quick search on Google says that if you use the phone in the home country ( Dubai in this case) using a local sim and use it for calling for 10 mins then the phone gets unlocked and will support any SIM thereafter. Has anyone tried this and can vouch for its authenticity? The price difference is lucrative enough to source the phone from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4445042)
I am planning to order a Samsung S9 from Dubai. The description says it's the middle East version and apparently samsung is region locking all its devices now...

The device is not locked, but needs to be activated within this region.

The sales person will, once you complete your purchase, will un-box and activate the device before handing it to you. That's it. There is no SIM or carrier lock.

The purpose of this is to address the issue of units sold here being taken to other markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 4445069)
The device is not locked, but needs to be activated within this region.

The sales person will, once you complete your purchase, will un-box and activate the device before handing it to you. That's it. There is no SIM or carrier lock.

The purpose of this is to address the issue of units sold here being taken to other markets.

I was planning to order it online on souq. My friend can open the unit and activate it in Dubai. But someone told me that few features won't work like samsung pay etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4445084)
I was planning to order it online on souq. My friend can open the unit and activate it in Dubai. But someone told me that few features won't work like samsung pay etc.

The reason he might be saying this is that Souq sometimes sells parallel imports. So, if the device it of a region where Samsung Pay is not yet activated, you are indeed in a mess.

Buying Apple devices from Souq was a way people here would work around the FaceTime restriction here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 4445126)
The reason he might be saying this is that Souq sometimes sells parallel imports. So, if the device it of a region where Samsung Pay is not yet activated, you are indeed in a mess.

The price advantage is only via souq I guess. So are u certain that all other functions of the phone apart from few of these region specific ones, will work once the phone is used with a local SIM?

Quote:

I am planning to order a Samsung S9 from Dubai. The description says it's the middle East version and apparently samsung is region locking all its devices now. But a quick search on Google says that if you use the phone in the home country ( Dubai in this case) using a local sim and use it for calling for 10 mins then the phone gets unlocked and will support any SIM thereafter. Has anyone tried this and can vouch for its authenticity? The price difference is lucrative enough to source the phone from there.

If you are purchasing Samsung devices from the UAE, be aware that JIO VOLTE does not work when you are back in India. Neither does Airtel VOLTE.
You might see so called 'fixes' like the one you state above, but the only way to fix this issue is to flash the Indian firmware for the samsung device. This will cause you to lose all your data btw.

On the other hand....the prices in the UAE are mouthwatering....

Quote:

Originally Posted by francis_vaz (Post 4442350)
Try clearing app data for the camera app from settings.
If that doesn't work try clearing cache from the recovery.
To unlock developer options go to settings>about phone and tap build number 7 times.
To boot into recovery enable advance boot menu from developer options.
Press and hold power button and tap reboot and recovery option should come up.
Reboot to recovery select English and select wipe and select cache.
And reboot the phone.

I'm facing the same issue with my old OP3. However, this to me looks like a hardware problem rather than anything brought on by the software update. I tried all the steps that you list and it doesn't fix it.
It seems like the camera module itself will need to be repaired. Not sure how much it would cost for such an exercise considering the phone is out of warranty now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidharth_j (Post 4445333)
If you are purchasing Samsung devices from the UAE, be aware that JIO VOLTE does not work when you are back in India. Neither does Airtel VOLTE.

On the other hand....the prices in the UAE are mouthwatering....

I guess it is not worth the effort then as VOLTE might be the future and one would not want to feel handicapped later. The effective price difference is approx. 10k after considering all the cashbacks there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidharth_j (Post 4445333)
I'm facing the same issue with my old OP3. However, this to me looks like a hardware problem rather than anything brought on by the software update. I tried all the steps that you list and it doesn't fix it.
It seems like the camera module itself will need to be repaired. Not sure how much it would cost for such an exercise considering the phone is out of warranty now.

Here you go, the official repair pricing from OnePlus.
https://www.oneplus.in/support/pricing/detail?code=4

Although before going to get it repaired, do factory reset and wipe the phone completely and reinstall the firmware again.
If you are on stock firmware, try the beta one this time.
I am on beta 39 for OP3 and it's working smooth as butter.:)

Quote:

I got S7 for my sis from Dubai and the price difference at that time was 12k. You can try this method mentioned on second post. If it doesn't work then download Indian firmware and flash using Odin.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...t3624953/page1

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipnil (Post 4441661)
Does anyone use Usb on-the-go for copying data to pen drive? Is it possible to copy phone data to pen drive using OTG? I use a custom ROM. I can copy data from pen drive to phone but not the other way round. Have used multiple file explorer apps but without success. After file selection in phone, I can't see the OTG device listed for pasting these files.

I've S7 edge and it has Oem support for moving files to and from Pen drive . Which phone and rom?

Quote:

Originally Posted by actinium15 (Post 4444529)
As far as I can tell the signal to noise ratio of the visible satellites is found to be too low (this is usually where A-GPS is expected to help).
Since that didn't work for you, it might be worthwhile to see discussions on this MI forum page. Essentially, they are blaming it on the network provider.
You might want to see if disabling/removing the SIM fares any better vis-a-vis GPS connectivity (you'd want to download offline maps for your route to keep navigating without data connection).

I tried all the possible options and when nothing worked, i had decided to visit the service center. I generally avoid visiting the service center for couple of reasons, Firstly I need to reconfigure another mobile till my existing mobile stays with service center and secondly from my previous experience, lot of follow ups required to check the status and also they never stick to their original delivery date. But this time, I was left with no other option. 15th August being holiday, the service center was not open that day. So, I decided to visit in the weekend. But, for my surprise, everything started working on 15th evening when i used it while returning from my in-laws place. I tested it again on 16th and today morning. Absolutely no issues! I don't know how it started working. Because, till 14th, I tested the GPS functionality going to Hardware Test menu and also checked the status in GPS Test app, everywhere it was showing 'Fail'.
Only changes that has happened to my mobile since 14th August is, Google and Gmaps App got updated. I am not sure whether this resolved the issue.
Anyway, all is well that ends well :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by atulsian (Post 4445625)
I've S7 edge and it has Oem support for moving files to and from Pen drive . Which phone and rom?

I use Oneplus X with Sultan ROM. I don't know if original oneplus X rom had the support for USB OTG as I have been on this ROM for most of my last 2 years.