Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-346.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 999 (Post 2446520)
hi guys please help me,
I got my SGS2 from letsbuy yesterday. the seal on the box from samsung was torn when I got it. Initially I thought they opened it to seal the warranty card, which they haven't. Also one sticker on the side of the box (IMEI number copy I guess) is missing. Am I sold a lemon by them. I am very worried. Being a noob to android, is there a way to know whether the phone has been used before?

You should not have accepted the package, and sent it back on discovering what you mentioned.
Letsbuy provides transit insurance, and pilferage etc is covered.

Had got a SE phone from letsbuy delivered 2 days back, and it came sealed thus- (the phone carton itself was sealed with a hologram sticker, and the entire cover shrink wrapped). Letsbuy does not power on phones before sending :-) .

Quote:

Originally Posted by xotiq (Post 2447558)
You should not have accepted the package, and sent it back on discovering what you mentioned.
Letsbuy provides transit insurance, and pilferage etc is covered.

Had got a SE phone from letsbuy delivered 2 days back, and it came sealed thus- (the phone carton itself was sealed with a hologram sticker, and the entire cover shrink wrapped). Letsbuy does not power on phones before sending :-) .

I was also thinking the same. I will try talk to them and get a reply.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by 999 (Post 2447668)
I was also thinking the same. I will try talk to them and get a reply.:Frustrati

When i got my galaxy SL from letsbuy,the IMEI sticker copy was removed as in your case but the box was sealed.But one of my friend who ordered a defy had got a broken seal when he received.Everything else was intact and the phone has not given him any problem..As long as your phone is working properly dont worry about it.Enjoy your new acquisition

UPDATE :

I tried rooting my LG P500 using the application namely z4root. But, the phone force closes the application!

Previously, I had used the same app to root my phone. Someone please suggest me any other app to root my phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 2446501)
What you now need to do is document your experience - here and on XDA. Why your phone went into soft-brick, what did you do? Any anxious moments? Current status etc.

Well. I still don't know what made my phone go into soft-brick.

The two things that I suspect of, are :

Normally the temperature varies within the range of 3 - 3.4 degree Celsius.

Any pointers?

PS: Thanks for the detailed explanations and advises too, phamilyman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 2446500)

Thanks for the link! Anyway, I don't need that app as of now. :)

@999, I have ordered 2 phones from Letsbuy in the last 1 month. Both were sealed. What you got is clearly tampered. Did you check with letsbuy. You should have rejected the phone. Even in Pune where there is octroi, the products are sold with the seal intact.

try to contact them.

@ninja,
Good call on the BB. But I am sure you will move to newer generation OS sooner than later :)

As you are in Pune, you will be charged Octroi. Do not pay it even if the courier guys ask. letsbuy pays for it. I argued with Bluedart for 10 mins before they contact their regional office and confirmed that I need not pay. by the way did you receive it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 2447676)
When i got my galaxy SL from letsbuy,the IMEI sticker copy was removed as in your case but the box was sealed.But one of my friend who ordered a defy had got a broken seal when he received.Everything else was intact and the phone has not given him any problem..As long as your phone is working properly dont worry about it.Enjoy your new acquisition

Thanks for that info. Good to hear that. My phone also looks fine and working normally. I will ask them for their explanation.
@ rahul I was also worried at that bit. But my problem was that the courier guy won't let me ouch the box until I sign his papers. I had no option there. On the hind sight I think I should have opted for cash on delivery.

Folks,

After flashing my Defy to Froyo via the Motorola official channel, I have discovered an issue with searching for my phone contacts----the search by using a part of the name does not seem to work anymore. I'm sure it was working on the Eclair.

What I do now to circumvent this issue is scrolling down the contacts list, but I wonder what screwed up the search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 2447733)
Folks,

After flashing my Defy to Froyo via the Motorola official channel, I have discovered an issue with searching for my phone contacts----the search by using a part of the name does not seem to work anymore. I'm sure it was working on the Eclair.

What I do now to circumvent this issue is scrolling down the contacts list, but I wonder what screwed up the search.

eclair had that?
how come it didnt on my phone?
:)
I had to put in GO contacts/dialer to get it.
works just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayankk (Post 2447738)
eclair had that?
how come it didnt on my phone?
:)
I had to put in GO contacts/dialer to get it.
works just fine.

Is GO contacts/ dialer an app that can be downloaded?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 2447750)
Is GO contacts/ dialer an app that can be downloaded?

oh, just missed the 30 minute window!

Anyway, yes, it on the market, and you can get it free.

So after tons and tons of research, I decided to get the Incredible S. Almost had my CC fired up on Letsbuy till I saw a RSS feed, that Samsung is launching the Galaxy R \ Z. It's a S-LCD version of the S-II for about 25K (Estimated). They seem to have increased the weight with a metal back plate (Which I like) and knocked off 3 MP of the rear camera and downgraded the CPU to a dual core 1 Ghz Nvidia Tegra chip and downgraded memory from 16GB to 8GB. All of this I can live with. I personally prefer Sense UI over Touch Wiz, but I think I can customize or even root the device to make it look exactly like I want. My question is, when can we expect this model to hit India? Reports are that it may hit the UK by the end of July (Which is barely 2 days away). Are these simultaneous global launches?

If this does not happen soon, I may now give up on the Incredible S and pick up a Nexus S and save 6K in lieu of a slightly better camera, LED notifications and 256 MB more ram and custom UI.

But a dual core phone plus more updated optics, 1 gig of ram and better build quality and 8 GB internal memory for 5K more? Now that is tempting!!!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Has anyone tried out porting any custom ROMs to your android mobile phones.

If yes, then we can try discussing the model and the custom ROMs, in this thread. This would also provide the potentials some confidence on a custom ROM before he ports.

The idea is to share knowledge on Rooting, Super User admins, Custom Roms to make sure we all understand it better.

So have you done any of the below:
1. Rooted your phone?
2. Ported to newer ROMs,
3. Ported any custom ROMs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invinsible (Post 2446758)
That's just the kernal file and not the rom. The file will help in rooting the device matched to the Rom.
Follow the steps that I mentioned and you'l be good.

Thanks Invisible. Please forget my last post for you. I figured the CMW install using ODIN. And applied a theme successfully, along with a Full-Screen Caller Pic Mod. Both worked great!

Have been having issues with the Shortcuts on my home screens. I put some apps shortcuts on my home screens but everytime i reboot the Shortcuts disappear :(. You know why this would happen? Earlier, after installing the kernel and rooting I tried Titanium backup, its worked fine. But after restart, all my widgets were gone from homescreen and when I tried to put them back on there, the widgets were not there in the list that appears at the bottom. That I sorted out my removing and installing them back again, now they stay after reboot. But I cant figure out this Shortcut Icons disappearing issue. Can you point me anywhere?

Thanks for all your help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klub Class (Post 2447682)
I tried rooting my LG P500 using the application namely z4root. But, the phone force closes the application!

I also used it on my Sammy Galaxy 551 and Epic 4G. Did the former happily, while the latter had to be done using OneClickRoot.

At the moment I am trying to root the toughest phone Incredible 2 from the toughest family htc. Their S-On makes rooting a real pain. afaik Inc2 on Gingerbread is still to be cracked.

As for the other app check whether you have superuser in the Apps list. If not then it is not rooted.

I am inclined towards Motorola Defy - price around INR 14000. However the SAR value is close to (~1.56) the maximum permitted limit (1.6).
Any BHPians experiencing this phone getting hot or earpiece causing irritation in ears or headache?