Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2024, 09:04   #32491
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Samsung phone owner for past 14 years almost. Outside of some childish themes and fonts (I was big time into home screen customization for a while) I have never downloaded a single app from Galaxy store.
I agree. Galaxy store is an absolute waste of space and internet data. Even the apps they do offer don't work well, and there's always a more stable variant on Google Play Store. Firefox browser, for instance.

So far, the only thing I've ever downloaded was a font called Samsung Sans, and that's not something I cannot live without.

I removed all permissions for Galaxy store and put it in deep sleeping mode.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 11:07   #32492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I have a question for Samsung/Motorola phone users.

I tried to install Google Pay within the Secure Folder of my S20 FE 5G. Unfortunately, that refused to work, as in I was never able to pay bills as OTP would never arrive.
I thought Secure folder is supposed to be more data files - images, videos, documents etc., It may not be a right place to keep executable files (though can be safe kept as a document)

Last edited by aadya : 22nd March 2024 at 11:12.
aadya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 11:33   #32493
BHPian

Quote:

I tried to install Google Pay within the Secure Folder of my S20 FE 5G. Unfortunately, that refused to work, as in I was never able to pay bills as OTP would never arrive.

Tried the same on my wife's Motorola Edge 40 and faced the same issue there as well. OTP would arrive only when the app is installed outside the Secure Folder.

I had thought the purpose of this folder was to offer an extra layer of security but what's the point when you cannot use the app itself when you install it inside the folder?

Google Pay is not supported in Secure Folder. I tried it too. Apps like Chrome work alright.
I find Secure Folder to be unnecessary for my usage though and only tried it once out of curiosity.
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 16:40   #32494
BHPian

Quote:

I had thought the purpose of this folder was to offer an extra layer of security but what's the point when you cannot use the app itself when you install it inside the folder?
You don't have to install Google play to add apps in secure folder, just press on the '+'option at top of the screen in secure folder and you get option to install apps from Google or Galaxy app store or duplicate any of the already installed apps.

I did not face issues in receiving OTP also while using apps in secure folder.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2024 at 09:01. Reason: Typos
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 01:11   #32495
BHPian

Quote:

Tried the same on my wife's Motorola Edge 40 and faced the same issue there as well. OTP would arrive only when the app is installed outside the Secure Folder.

You hardly need to worry about security of payment apps. Moreover they require many device identifiers, which is restricted in Samsung Knox/Lenovo Thinkshield's secure folder setup. If you are still skeptic, I suggest to use the app in a separate profile (like how it is in a desktop OS).
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 11:27   #32496
Team-BHP Support

Is this new? I got an email invitation to sign up for 'Google Play Games Beta' for Windows

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_2.png

Google Play Games is a 750 MB application. Needs a quad core processor with graphics card to run:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_3.png

It is just like Google Playstore for Android, but with a much smaller selection of games optimized to run on Windows. Touch controls have been replaced by keyboard and/or mouse controls. However, the 'resolution' of games seems to be on the lower side. Graphics don't look very sharp:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_4.png

Game progress is saved, and you can continue from android device to Windows and vice versa.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th April 2024 at 11:28.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 00:21   #32497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Is this new? I got an email invitation to sign up for 'Google Play Games Beta' for Windows

Attachment 2592241

Google Play Games is a 750 MB application. Needs a quad core processor with graphics card to run:

Game progress is saved, and you can continue from android device to Windows and vice versa.
Didn't Microsoft announce that they were discontinuing Android VM (Windows Subsystem for Android), that lets run Android apps?
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 01:06   #32498
BHPian

Need to pick up a mobile for myself by first week of May. Very much confused with S23 & S23FE. Requirements are a good camera phone for a moderate user that can last for min of 3-4 yrs as the current S9+ am using is 4.5 yrs old. Changing it as the camera quality & battery backup has completely deteriorated in the last 1 yr or so.

S23 retails at about 55k and S23FE at 42k for the 8gb 256gb variant after discounts.

Need inputs from BHPians to select the best

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2024 at 02:28. Reason: typos
smrtdvl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 02:14   #32499
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Need to pick up a mobile for myself by first week of May. Very much confused with S23 & S23FE. Requirements are a good camera phone for a moderate user that can last for min of 3-4 yrs as the current S9+ am using is 4.5 yrs old. Changing it as the camera quality & battery backup has completely deteriorated in the last 1 yr or so.

S23 retails at about 55k and S23FE at 42k for the 8gb 256gb variant after discounts.

Need inputs from BHPians to select the best
Get the S23 and avoid the Exynos processor in the S23FE.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th April 2024 at 02:28. Reason: quoted post edited

Most Viewed