Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:03   #15121
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi Jaxy. PowerAmp music player is a good one, I've read in may places too. But is this available in the Samsung App store? I searched but wasn't able to find it.

Can you help, if the player is indeed available?

it shows in the samsung apps menu but takes me to Play store for purchase....
how nice it would have been if this was available on samsung app gift card.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20130521210740.png  

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th June 2013 at 06:35. Reason: Fixing Quote tag
Old 22nd May 2013, 20:21   #15122
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing a problem on my galaxy SL. When using the native browser of the phone, the browser redirects to some you-know-which sites ! It happens only on the native browser and has started happening from a past week or so. Opera works fine but i prefer the phone's browser for some sites as the readability is good. How to solve this ?
Old 22nd May 2013, 23:48   #15123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am facing a problem on my galaxy SL. When using the native browser of the phone, the browser redirects to some you-know-which sites ! It happens only on the native browser and has started happening from a past week or so. Opera works fine but i prefer the phone's browser for some sites as the readability is good. How to solve this ?
Open browser. Settings-privacy and security-clear cache and history. Settings-General-use blank home page.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:07   #15124
BHPian

Hey guys I was just looking for a decent budget android phone and I stumbled upon this. The Micromax Canvas A88 Music. It seems to be the bargain of the century. The specs on paper atleast are pretty good - android jelly bean OS, 1 Ghz dual core processor plus part of a pack are JBL headphones. Best part is it costs just Rs. 7.5 grand to 8.5 grand on the net which means my local shop will give it for 7 grand or so. Has anybody seen / used / heard of this phone?

How are the reviews? Is it any good? Thanks

Link - http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...nes/canvas/A88

Last edited by thumpingheart : 23rd May 2013 at 18:09.
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:34   #15125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey guys I was just looking for a decent budget android phone and I stumbled upon this. The Micromax Canvas A88 Music. It seems to be the bargain of the century. The specs on paper atleast are pretty good - android jelly bean OS, 1 Ghz dual core processor plus part of a pack are JBL headphones. Best part is it costs just Rs. 7.5 grand to 8.5 grand on the net which means my local shop will give it for 7 grand or so. Has anybody seen / used / heard of this phone?

How are the reviews? Is it any good? Thanks

Link - http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...nes/canvas/A88
I am of the opinion that you will get a better deal online rather than offline. A88 is available for 7154/- on E-bay with some coupons. PM me for more details.
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:39   #15126
Senior - BHPian

9700 gives you http://www.xolo.in/q800 on ebay with coupons.

Faaarrr more bang for the buck.
Old 24th May 2013, 10:18   #15127
BHPian

I've running a Slim ICS ROM on my Galaxy Ace for about 4 months now. It was great at first, no lags whatsoever, felt like I was using a high end phone. But now its back to the original Galaxy Ace. Slow, laggy and annoying as hell.
Apart from doing this like reflashing the ROM, can anything be done to stop the phone from freezing and lagging so much?
Old 24th May 2013, 16:29   #15128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I've running a Slim ICS ROM on my Galaxy Ace for about 4 months now. It was great at first, no lags whatsoever, felt like I was using a high end phone. But now its back to the original Galaxy Ace. Slow, laggy and annoying as hell.
Apart from doing this like reflashing the ROM, can anything be done to stop the phone from freezing and lagging so much?
If you're running the Slim ROM, make sure you're running either their stable version or their latest build - that should most probably take care of the lag.

If not, there is a very interesting little app on the Play store called "Greenify". What this basically does is hibernates the apps that aren't being used more often yet hog on memory by suspending them. You can always "wake" them up from their hibernation whenever you intend to use those apps again. This takes care of the lag to quite an extent and also adds a little bit more battery life to your device.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th May 2013, 17:52   #15129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
If you're running the Slim ROM, make sure you're running either their stable version or their latest build - that should most probably take care of the lag.

If not, there is a very interesting little app on the Play store called "Greenify". What this basically does is hibernates the apps that aren't being used more often yet hog on memory by suspending them. You can always "wake" them up from their hibernation whenever you intend to use those apps again. This takes care of the lag to quite an extent and also adds a little bit more battery life to your device.

Hope this helps.
Thanks 9thsphinx, but the problem is the lag only developed after a while. Would the latest build take care of that? Or should I flash a different kernel?
Old 24th May 2013, 18:25   #15130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks 9thsphinx, but the problem is the lag only developed after a while. Would the latest build take care of that? Or should I flash a different kernel?
The latest build should take care of the lag too. You can try to dirty flash if you don't want to wipe - although I suggest otherwise. Don't know if leankernel is supported for your model, but that's pretty much the best and the most stable kernel out there.
Old 24th May 2013, 18:30   #15131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
I am of the opinion that you will get a better deal online rather than offline. A88 is available for 7154/- on E-bay with some coupons. PM me for more details.
Thanks. But I beg to differ. The kind of prices my local 'Telephone Shopee' guy in Pune offers me are unbeatable compared to any website.

Anyways the price is not even an issue. My primary question was how is the A88 and what are the reviews for the same. If you have any information regarding that please do share.

Is it a good phone?
Old 24th May 2013, 18:33   #15132
BANNED

Quote:
Clear the dalvik cache once and also the app caches to get some internal memory. Also if you don't use some apps, try deleting them, since many of them keep running in background to bog down the phone.
Old 24th May 2013, 19:04   #15133

So I finally ordered my nexus 4 from the states and am looking for a good cover as I've heard the back glass is easily scuffed/cracked. Has anyone purchased a case online or in the south Mumbai region?

Here's one that I found but I've never heard of the website. Can I trust it?
http://in.mobilefun.com/38000-rearth...le-nexus-4.htm
Old 24th May 2013, 19:15   #15134
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Just received email from Flipkart that my order has been shipped. Best news i got for days. I had raised a special request with them for early dispatch as the mentioned delivery date of 1 june i wont be in town.

Need some urgent help now as i am expecting the phone by day after tomorrow.

1.-Need a cover for Nexus 4. Suggest me some good one.
2.- I am using BB torch 2 right now. How can i transfer all my contacts, pics and videos to the new phone?
3.- Using an android mobile for the first time. Need advice on what apps to download and from where.

Also do we have a team bhp app in android?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 24th May 2013, 19:26   #15135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Guys, Just received email from Flipkart that my order has been shipped. Best news i got for days. I had raised a special request with them for early dispatch as the mentioned delivery date of 1 june i wont be in town.

Need some urgent help now as i am expecting the phone by day after tomorrow.

1.-Need a cover for Nexus 4. Suggest me some good one.
2.- I am using BB torch 2 right now. How can i transfer all my contacts, pics and videos to the new phone?
3.- Using an android mobile for the first time. Need advice on what apps to download and from where.

Also do we have a team bhp app in android?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Answers:
1. Do you need it immediately? If not, I recommend Cruzerlite.com. I have 7 of their cases and they are awesome. Takes approx. 2 weeks to reach, but worth it. There is a coupon if you buy 2 you get 1 free. If need immediately, you can get some cheap quality ones at most local shops, although I suggest you invest in some good quality and good looking ones.
2. Contacts you can upload to Gmail, and it will directly be synced to your phone when you log in. For pics and videos, just use bluetooth or use USB through your computer.
3. Apps: Only one place in India, the Play Store.

And yes, there is Team-BHP app, although it is not very good, it does the job. Link:Team BHP App

Most Viewed