Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 19:22   #15211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Fed up with my Def+ plus Miui experiment. Can't get Sygic to work at all --- and that is important.

Will attempt restore to stock, and see where to go from there. Next on the recommendation list was Quarx.

Is it true that there are some "upgrades" from which one can't downgrade back to the stock rom?
Old 30th May 2013, 19:29   #15212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Or what if i go to service center, will they turn it back to stock ??
Sameer, my personal experience and recomendation would be to take it to a HTC Service Center. You would need to pay a standard fee of about 150-200 bucks (Samsung charges 150) for software re-installation.

The last thing you would want is to Brick the phone, which means it won't go past the brand logo. I did install a custom ROM for my wife's Galaxy Ace and while reverting back to stock I messed up something. Took it to Samsung SC and they fixed it in 20mins.
Old 30th May 2013, 19:52   #15213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Sameer, my personal experience and recomendation would be to take it to a HTC Service Center. You would need to pay a standard fee of about 150-200 bucks (Samsung charges 150) for software re-installation.

The last thing you would want is to Brick the phone, which means it won't go past the brand logo. I did install a custom ROM for my wife's Galaxy Ace and while reverting back to stock I messed up something. Took it to Samsung SC and they fixed it in 20mins.
Exactly, that's what my fear is. I will call HTC service center tomorrow and see if they can do it for me. Only issue is, that the service is center is some 18 kms away from home

I'll better get it done from them, rather trying myself to do it at the risk of bricking the phone.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:38   #15214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks alot, let me try this tonight, My only fear is that i don't end up bricking my phone.
SameerG, I told you about the xda thread, no?
instead of trying to go back to stock, why dont you try a few more roms? Thats easier than the whole stock process.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:45   #15215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Just got myself a Nexus 4. This is my second Android phone after a gap of about 1.5 years during which time I was using an iPhone 4S.

Immediately I can see Android has come a really really long way from my Motorola Defy which was a brilliant phone. Nexus 4 with its 2GB ram is lighting fast and the large screen is really good for videos and browsing. I so far can't find any major flaws with the phone. Just that the Wifi networks I've saved keeps saying not in range everytime I go out of range and come back. It doesn't refresh automatically, I have to toggle the Wifi Off and then turn it back ON. Hope Jelly Bean 4.3 which is expected June 10th sorts this issue out. That aside the best phone you can buy under 25k I think.
Congrats flipsyde! You said it man - best phone this side of..wait a minute - for me, best phone both sides of 25k. I mean, with other phones, you have to wait (endlessly, sometimes in vain) for the manufacturer to roll out updates! Huh! Not to speak of the stupid bloatware!

Been using it for some time now (got it from the US), works like a charm. Having used it, I once out of curiosity checked out the Micromax Canvas (for all the hype) which a colleague had bought. One swipe of the home screen and I returned it promptly-the screen wouldn't budge!!! Didn't even feel like checking it out.

The only issue I have is that bluetooth sometimes gets stuck. Cannot turn it on. A reboot does the trick, but I hope an upcoming update should debug it.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:54   #15216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
The only issue I have is that bluetooth sometimes gets stuck. Cannot turn it on. A reboot does the trick, but I hope an upcoming update should debug it.
Has happened to me too once in a month of usage. Otherwise a brilliant phone !

The only issue is the low/no signal strength in basements
Old 30th May 2013, 21:22   #15217
BANNED

Quote:
Guys, Can anyone here help me to get back to stock ROM on my HTC One V. I rooted my phone, installed a custom rom, unlocked the boot loader, with the help of a friend. As, I am still a noob in all this.

Now, Issue is this ROM has some serious bugs, Earlier everything used to work as desired, Lag free and all but now, GPS won't lock, which means, I can't use navigation. I can't record any video on my phone, Can't watch even 720p videos, Earlier on stock even 1080p used to work like a charm. The camera clearity is not just 50% what it used to be on stock ROM.

In short, I have had enough, now i can't bear this non sense any more. I need to get back to stock asap.

Can anyone here please guide me to a step by step process, or can suggest any DIY link so that i can work it out ?

Or what if i go to service center, will they turn it back to stock ??

Seriously need your help, please
Do you have a custom recovery installed like ClockWorkMod (CWM)?

IF YES, it is very easy, just download the stock ROM onto your sdcard, open recovery and select install from zip. Should do the trick.
Old 30th May 2013, 22:33   #15218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Do you have specific experiences regarding non-durability of Sony phones? Asking because I'm considering a Sony model as a replacement to my existing phone.
Sister uses a SE Mini; I hink it is called the X10. Very good - fantastic camera and flash.

Just finished shopping for a new droid for wife; so can tell you that spec wise, Sony is best. Wanted to go for the Miro. But wife was dead against the brand (sony did sell some nasty hardware in the past decade). Ultimately settled for Samsung i9070 (Advance). Waiting for it to be delivered.
Old 31st May 2013, 04:14   #15219
Senior - BHPian

^^^X10. Thats a fairly old model, I guess. Dunno how representative it is of current Sonys. Sony let down customers of 2011 Xperias big time, on the software front. Buggy and sluggish update, no patches yet and refusal to upgrade to JB either. Thats something I'll hold against them, as a lot of other 2011 Xperia owners will, while buying the next phone.

Got to use a Samsung S Duos since the last couple of days. And I'm quite underwhelmed. Poor screen, camera, flash and a few other things and very average build are a let down. As was before, seems Samsung is good only in the upper end. In the lower to middle end I'v only seen below average phones.
Old 31st May 2013, 08:12   #15220
Team-BHP Support

First a Nexus version of S4 and now HTC One !

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/google-to...395142-11.html
Old 31st May 2013, 09:45   #15221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
First a Nexus version of S4 and now HTC One !

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/google-to...395142-11.html
Not a great move, considering Sense is one of the One's strongest points.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:02   #15222
Senior - BHPian

So after two days of usage, finding my way around android and a full touch device is a bit frustrating but having fun Auto correct is a pain which i did not have to bother in BB. Phone feels delicate like a princess of the dawn and handling it like one. Waiting for an otterbox to come my way.

The phone is brilliant. But you have to remember that i have had no prior usage with an android and 4years its been only BB. Looks good sounds good feels good works good

Still coming to terms with all the potential and all the sign-ins i might have to do. The google folder is chaos personified for me. Oh and unlike my wife's sony android phone, i love the fact that there is no bloatware installed in the one.
Old 31st May 2013, 13:21   #15223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Auto correct is a pain which i did not have to bother in BB. Phone feels delicate like a princess of the dawn and handling it like one. Waiting for an otterbox to come my way.
For the keyboard part, try out SwiftKey. It's worth it
Old 31st May 2013, 13:25   #15224
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the tip. shall have a look
Old 31st May 2013, 13:55   #15225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Congrats flipsyde! You said it man - best phone this side of..wait a minute - for me, best phone both sides of 25k. I mean, with other phones, you have to wait (endlessly, sometimes in vain) for the manufacturer to roll out updates! Huh! Not to speak of the stupid bloatware!
Phones that run Stock Android like S4 are beter than Nexus4. These phones have the advantage of Nexus (no bloatware, timely updates) and take care of shortcomings of Nexus (MicroSD card, IR, Removable battery).

Downside is price ($600 as comapred to $300).

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 31st May 2013 at 13:56.

Most Viewed